Central Michigan University Employee Reviews

Student Development model with an emphasis on Health and Wellness
Graduate Assistant of Fitness and Wellness (Current Employee) –  Mount Pleasant, MIFebruary 20, 2014
Overall working for University Recreation on Central Michigan University's Campus has been an incredibly rewarding experience. My daily tasks as a graduate assistant vary from day to day. I work closely with the Assistant Director of Fitness and Wellness and am currently in charge of staffing over 30 Group Fitness leaders as well as co-staff another 25 Fitness Specialists. Some days it is mainly administrative while I schedule employees as well as review their clock-in times and task codes. I am in charge of evaluating each student in the format they teach once a semester and discussing with them their class and areas of growth as well as areas of strength. I also am in I also meet with each student individually once a semester to discuss goals for the year. I have worked with marketing and advertisement to promote health and wellness programs as well as our group fitness schedule. I work in an environment where finding balance in our daily lives and work is extremely important. The biggest lesson I have learned at this point in my working career is to work in my 'sweet spot'. Meaning, there are reasons why we are all different and good at specific things and not so good at others. This concept creates a deep sense of unity and collaboration within our department and other areas around campus. The most enjoyable part of my job is working directly with the students and being and to be a positive influence in each of their lives. The most difficult part of this job is trying to prioritize big projects while still getting the day to day tasks completed. A lot of time projects seem  more... to get put on the back burner because my time is directed elsewhere. Also, projects take a lot longer to get completed due to the many obstacles I need to go through the get anything approved.  less
Pros
grad school is paid for, free fitness classes, free access to fitness facility, many conferences are paid for the purpose of professional development.
Cons
only 20 hours per week, based on a stipend from cmu.
Exciting opportunity to lead young men to excellence
Assistant Baseball Coach (Former Employee) –  Mount Pleasant, MIJuly 31, 2013
A typical practice day I worked in the office from 8am until 2 pm where I performed multiple duties including fundraising, team travel, scouting reports, video analysis, practice plans, academic evaluations, teaching class, equipment ordering and distributing, recruiting for the team and camp, constant contact with high school and summer coaches. We would then have meetings with players and have 3 hours of practice. The we would then go with the players to weightlifting followed by watching video with them. I would spend the entire spring traveling to play games and/or recruiting all around the country. The entire summer would be spent traveling to watch kids play whereas I would be on the road at least 5 days a week for 3 months. I would typically get about 5 off days during a Six month span from January to August. The hardest part of the job is being away from my family so much while the most enjoyable part is the ability to teach baseball to the young men.
Pros
coaching the players, building relationships with coaches
Cons
time away from family
Cliquey and Gossipy High school like work environment
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Mount Pleasant, MIJuly 14, 2014
A typical day at work usually consisted of a variety of small projects continuously and interchangeably being worked on. Although there was enjoyable music to listen to in the store, the louder and more frequent sounds were from the other managers gossiping about each other or other employees. The management enjoyed the gossip and encouraged it with in the workplace environment. Also, if you made a mistake management would jump on the chance to tell you in a harsh and sometimes public manner. Finally the scheduling was absolutely terrible and interfered with my classes and family commitments during every holiday break. The hardest part of the job was dealing with the work environment everyday. The most enjoyable part of the job was dealing directly with the customers and making the CMU students and faculty's lives a little bit easier.
Pros
pay for you books each semester if you work three events
Cons
on average only 10 hours a week, minimum wage, no breaks, interferes with classes
A good place to work.
Co-Camp Director (Current Employee) –  Mount Pleasant, MIFebruary 4, 2013
Typical day consists of a early morning session monitoring camp employees and campers in attendance. Logging camper hours. Organizing and preparing for lunch. Then a mid day session again logging workers hours and monitoring camper activities. Running a coaches corner where there is personal interaction between myself and the high-school coaches in attendance. An afternoon session where I monitor the camp employees and campers and log employee hours. Then a coaches social that night where I entertain coaches and ensure that they have a good time while bringing there athletes to our camps.
I learned how to manage people and time.
My co-workers are good hard working people.
The hardest part of the job is staying organized and working long hrs.
The most enjoyable part of the job is providing a great product.
Pros
providing a great product that promotes central michigan university
Cons
very demanding and time consuming
Very good place to work
Custodial Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Mount Pleasant, MIOctober 21, 2012
A typical day of cleaning a unit was making sure kitchen appliances looked new after cleaning, making sure all window were clean and sills were free of any and all debris, cleaning all light fixtures, banisters, carpets, and bathroom fixtures. All floors had to be stripped, waxed and buffed at the end of the cleaning process. Each unit took approximately 16 hours with the drying of the floors included. You worked alone on this job which was nice, but the hardest part of the job was cleaning up after someone totally destroyed the place and left garbage all over to be picked up. The most enjoyable part of the job was that you cleaned when your schedule permitted availability. Management was very good and supplied with all materials and body gear needed to complete job.
Pros
medical accidents on job covered, flexibility of hours
Cons
no benefits or perks
A very good starting job with excellent hours and great management and co-workers.
Building Maintenance Worker (Former Employee) –  Mt. Pleasant, MIJanuary 14, 2015
A typical day at work would involve painting, prepping rooms for paint, cleaning up after construction work, and other various construction and painting jobs. I learned proper and efficient prepping and painting techniques, how to weld pipes, and other construction methods. The management was always friendly, fair, and helpful, and co-workers were personable, educated in the jobs in which they performed, and were always willing to teach a new skill if it was not previously known. The hardest part of the job was doing tedious work work for hours at a time, but those such tasks did not require much skill. The most enjoyable part of a job was finishing the painting of a room or hall and revealing the finished product. The co-workers also made the job enjoyable.
Great place to work and learn
SAP UA Intern, SAP University Alliance (Current Employee) –  Mount Pleasant, MIOctober 31, 2014
The job offers me a platform to showcase my creative abilities. Redesigning of CMU's SAP UA website, enhancing the digital presence of the Program, developing promotional materials are part of the job.

Other tasks include:
SAP TERP10 students’ performance analytics, website improvement, Web analytics, Assist students in learning SAP enterprise software. Researching latest improvements in SAP

Management and my co-workers encouraged me in coming up with new ideas and supported me to successfully implement those ideas.

I really enjoy this Job because I am not only helping students but also gaining confidence in multitasking and learning more on SAP and related technologies.
Student Employment
Various (Former Employee) –  EverywhereMarch 13, 2012
As a student, I found Central Michigan to be a great place to work for. There are many different jobs and it is easy to get your hours scheduled around your classes. Rules are fair and although the compensation is typically just above minimum, many jobs have room for advancement.

One thing to note is that you may be asked to do things that may be hazardous, unsafe and sometimes questionable. Especially if you are working maintenance departments. However, if there is any case where you feel uncomfortable doing something, just let them know. They are good about not forcing you to do stuff without the proper safety equipment or certifications if you tell them you don't want to.
Pros
scheduleing, advancement
Cons
safety
Great company
Human Resources Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Mount Pleasant, MIMay 22, 2013
• Performed human resources activities such as training documentation, employee updates and reviews, product cost analyses, work-load tracking, employee concern reporting, and various tasks.
• Performed outreach activities for the department including presentations, events, and media work.
• Head Coordinator for CMU’s participation in the Recycle Mania competition against 600 schools.
• Wrote and gathered all documents for a nation-wide Green Cleaning Award, which CMU won.
• Responsible for tracking employee training hours in SAP and tracking department expenditures.
• Performed an employee efficiency analysis to secure two additional full time employees.
Student Research Assistant
Student Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Mount Pleasant, MIJune 23, 2012
Responsible for conducting experiments regarding fertilization viability of organisms. Plating techniques included using the sterile streaking technique with a sterile loop for bacterial distribution on LB/LB+CAM/LB+AMP plates. Also used plating techniques when incorporating plasmids during bacterial transformation. Other techniques learned include: nucleic acid and protein techniques such as PCR, restriction digests, transformation, agarose gel electrophoresis, protein purification, immunofluorescence, SDS-PAGE, and Western blotting. Also, organic chemistry techniques such as, chromatography, extraction and precipitations.
Productive work environment
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Mount Pleasant, MIMay 4, 2012
Assisted Political Science Department faculty in conducting research and literature searches; carried out other duties, such as syllabi and visual aids; assisted in the classroom (i.e. lead discussion sections, correct exams, and record classroom attendance). Working as a graduate research and teaching assistant has allowed me to work with other graduate students with similar career endeavors, establish professional relationships with professors, develop networking skills, strengthen my analytical skills, and attend academic conferences.
Pros
appreciation lunches and supportive faculty
Cons
grading assignments
Apparel production planning / Merchandising
Graduate Assistant (Current Employee) –  MichiganMay 16, 2015
1. Design detail (Tech pack) receives from buyer.
2. Consumption calculation of fabrics, trims and accessories.
3. Fabric, Trims and Accessories booking as per consumption.
4. Follow up all sampling stage from Development to Shipment as per buyer requirement.
5. Order sheet and trim card preparation based on approved trims and accessories.
6. Calculate full costing of a garment.
7. Production follow up and problem resolution in cutting, sewing, embroidery, printing and in
finishing to maintain the quality as well as to deliver the product within the lead time.
Great learning, and pleasant work environment
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Troy, MIJune 5, 2014
A typical day would consist of students wanting assistance registering for class, answering financial aid questions, making sure monitors have correct information for that night class. If hosting an event make sure everything is going to go smoothly. The most enjoyable part of the job is no matter what center you are at around the country we are all one great team and we like each other.
Pros
free tickets to events, great catered food, wonderful instructors and professors
Cons
meetings in far away locations, difficult students
Interesting course, interesting students
Adjunct Professor (Current Employee) –  Alexandria, VASeptember 27, 2014
I decided to teach at Central Michigan because they were offering a graduate course (Leadership) for interesting students (personnel at Fort Belvoir, VA) that intrigued me. My intuitions about the course and students proved correct, but I did not appreciate having to teach out of an assigned text that did cover the material as well as I thought it needed to and received little help from support staff who worked in Michigan in setting up my internet materials for the course.
Pros
wide range of courses
Cons
little support
An average day for a CMU graduate assistant.
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Mount Pleasant, MIApril 13, 2015
The most enjoyable part of this job is the people I have been able to work with. The graduate assistants all work together in a single office, which provides an interesting and fun workplace environment. On a daily basis we are able to have legitimately thought provoking discussions, all while completing the various tasks that we have been either assigned or decided to undertake ourselves. This makes for an atmosphere of competitiveness, which results in a rather enjoyable experience.
Great job to have with opportunities to work with students and faculty alike
ADMINISTRATIVE AIDE/OFFICE MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GANovember 19, 2015
My day is filled with assisting students and faculty on different items collectively. Processing invoices for payment, collecting and submitting timesheets for hourly employees in US East Region (13 individual centers). Assist US East Operations Manager as his Executive Assistant.
Pros
Great university and staff to work with.
Cons
Lack of advancement opportunities
Excellent Staff
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Mount Pleasant, MIApril 22, 2013
I started a website designed to help connect current and past MSA students. I learned how to start a website from scratch and research classroom topics for higher education learning. My supervisors are very helpful and went above and beyond to help me get a clear understanding of my duties. The hardest part of my job was finding websites databases to use, but overall I enjoyed working with my staff and supervisors.
Good job, and good co-workers.
Custodian (Former Employee) –  Mount Pleasant, MIMarch 5, 2014
I learned various cleaning skills. Such as stripping, buffing and waxing floors. Also how to properly clean public areas such as lounges, dorm rooms, and bathrooms. The hardest part of working at CMU was getting everything cleaned in a short time frame. Sometimes we had to call in other crews to help us. My favorite part of the job was the people whom I worked with. They were great people and I had a great crew leader.
Social energetic environment
University Moving Crew (Former Employee) –  Mount Pleasant, MISeptember 14, 2012
Central Michigan University supplied me with a summer job this past summer. The was a moving crew job, where 30+ students work together to set up for events, and prepare the campus for camps and move in. The students working were all very social and provided one of the best summers i've had here at CMU. The boss was also a great guy to work with, very on point and ready to get things rolling everyday.
Campus Employment
Residence Life Moving Crew (Former Employee) –  Mount Pleasant, MIJanuary 23, 2013
This job was flexible and I was able to develop great time management skills, while maintaining a steady job and heavy course load throughout my time at Central Michigan University. I was able to work in a productive and comfortable work environment with other fellow students. This job provided me the opportunity to build upon my people skills in a team structured environment.

4.5