Central Michigan University

Central Michigan University Employee Reviews in United States

Great job to have with opportunities to work with students and faculty alike
ADMINISTRATIVE AIDE/OFFICE MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GANovember 19, 2015
My day is filled with assisting students and faculty on different items collectively. Processing invoices for payment, collecting and submitting timesheets for hourly employees in US East Region (13 individual centers). Assist US East Operations Manager as his Executive Assistant.
Pros
Great university and staff to work with.
Cons
Lack of advancement opportunities
Productive and convenient workplace.
Merrill Hall Desk Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Mount Pleasant, MIApril 28, 2016
Being a receptionist is a job that requires responsibility, hospitality, and warm, approachable personality. I had a great experience working here, it really tested my time management and ability to act on my feet which is something I was able to overcome. My co-workers were kind and respectful and had good communication with shift trades. The hardest part of the job would be deciding on who to call in the case of an emergency. There were always options on who to call in certain situations but deciding who the best person was, was challenging. The most enjoyable part of the job would be seeing and meeting people that I have never met or seen before and being able to be of service to them.
Pros
Able to do homework
Communication skills with presenting anatomy material to students
Anatomy Supplemental Instructor (Current Employee) –  Mount Pleasant, MIApril 24, 2016
A Supplemental Instructor is a student who attends lectures and takes notes as a model student. In my case, I am the supplemental instructor for the anatomy course at Central Michigan University. I create worksheets from the notes presented in class or from the text so the students have an opportunity to review this material and understand it better. I hold two sessions a week where the students come and attend and review the material in a fun, less intimidating environment than lecture. This gives many students an opportunity to ask questions and not feels discouraged or intimidated by the amount of students there are in lecture. I make powerpoint, Kahoots, worksheets, and drawings in order for the students to understand the material better.
Pros
Communication skills, presentation skills, and learning experience
It is productive and fun working in that place
Team Leader- Campus Dining (Current Employee) –  Mount Pleasant, MIMarch 18, 2016
At times, due to bad weather conditions some of the employees do not show up for their shift. In that situation we used to manage with the existing employees without compromising in the quality of service. I learned that team effort plays a major role in most the cases. More over our managers do support a lot, provide us a friendly and comfortable environment. The hardest part of the job is sometimes people come in groups all at a time and because of this we need to increase the serving speed. But then we enjoy it. Most enjoyable part of the job is working with my team. They are very friendly and very supportive. We help each other in completing the work successfully.
Pros
free meal, appreciation for the work, gifts for the members who worked really good, helping the needy by providing food
Cons
short breaks
A day in the life of being an RA
Cobb Hall Resident Assistant (Current Employee) –  Mount Pleasant, MIMarch 19, 2016
It's stressful, but it's fun, and I wouldn't trade the experience for anything. We have weekly staff meetings, I program once a month for the residents on the floor, and the compensation is nice for the amount of work I do.
Productive and fun environment
Student Assistant (Former Employee) –  Mount Pleasant, MIJuly 22, 2016
A typical day consisted of engaging and interacting with those that would come into the offices at Central Michigan University. From this, I learned the value of customer service and the skills to talk with individuals in a professional and accommodating manner. The hardest part of the job was leaving everyday and the best parts were when I was engaging those who would come into the office.
Very Friendly environment to work and good research opportunities
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Mount Pleasant, MIFebruary 11, 2016
I typically maintain 9 - 6 PM but its flexible if I can finish my assigned works. Sometimes I need to work until night. I learnt optical and chemical properties of materials at nanoscale ranges. I got trained with good number of techniques such as Raman, SERS, FTIR, UV-Vis, XRD, TEM, SEM, and EDS. Here, all colleagues are friendly and willing to help in need.
Pros
Provide large scale of technical instrumental facilities for research, also offers comprehensive course works.
Cons
Healthcare is not offered
NIce place to work
Spanish Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Mount Pleasant, MI 48858June 28, 2016
I thank Central Michigan University for the opportunity to get Master's degree. However, there were some professors made it hard for me to achieve my goals and complicated my word. CMU is a great university but it would be way better if some changes with the faculty were made.
Cons
The Spanish Coordinator should be replaced
Interactive and fun place to work
Internal Audit Intern (Former Employee) –  Mount Pleasant, MIDecember 9, 2015
Central Michigan is a great place to work with interactive and helpful management. There is great exposure to various departments and services which provide numerous opportunities for networking and building relationships.
Productive and fun work place
Telecounselor (Former Employee) –  Mount Pleasant, MIMay 10, 2016
As a student worker my supervisor was very lenient in terms of my work schedule and had no issue when I needed to call off or come into work a bit later. The job was very simple and everyone in the workplace was very kind and enjoyable. I plan to work this job every semester until graduation.
Flexible
Graduate Assistant (Current Employee) –  Mount Pleasant, MIJanuary 4, 2016
This company allowed me to balance work life and school life in a productive manner. My co-workers were friendly and extremely helpful and I felt extremely comfortable working around them.
Takes online seriously
Instructional Designer (Current Employee) –  Mount Pleasant, MIMay 26, 2016
CMU is a steady and well run entity for the most part. It was a ways to go to understand the needs of running an online program and the innovation and flexibility needed to achieve results.
Pros
Strong benefit package
Cons
Disorganization of online unit
Great faculty
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Mount Pleasant, MIJuly 25, 2016
Working for CMU enhanced my learning experience while helping to pay for tuition. Graded and created assignments, assisted research and conducted assigned experiments with students. 10/10 would GA again.
Research.. Research.. Research!
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Mt. Pleasant, MIMay 9, 2016
Great place to work for and good work environment.
Very helpful to improve our skills.
the hardest part of the job is there is no end in the work because of the research and i loved it.
Pros
good work environment
Cons
Best place to work for and challenging
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Mount Pleasant, MIApril 22, 2016
It was fantastic and I am well prepared for my career and have been successful in job. The social life at CMU was outstanding. I was able to balance social life with academics very well.
Fun Work Place
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Mt. Pleasant, MIJune 8, 2016
I worked at Central Michigan University as Research Assistant. It has Quality education and super fun nothing bad about cmu except for the winter
Interesting place to work
Enrollment/Recruitment Specialist (Former Employee) –  Mount Pleasant, MINovember 27, 2015
I had a great experience working for Central Michigan University. My co-workers were fun to work with, and I enjoyed having lots of access to training and development for my career path.
Great place to learn and work while in school
Tech Services - PC Repair Tech (Former Employee) –  Mount Pleasant, MIOctober 7, 2015
While at this job i expanded my knowledge of computers and their hardware further. Management let you do your job without too much interference. Typically from day to day i would fix computer hardware and software issues with some virus removal and cleaning thrown in there as well.
Pros
Easy, Fun, Learning opportunities
Cons
Pay
Job overall
Intramural Basketball Referee (Former Employee) –  Student Activities Center (SAC)September 9, 2015
I really enjoyed the position I held at CMU as an intramural basketball referee. The work itself wasn't hard, the environment that was created by some of the frats and other teams made the league very competitive and overall a lot of fun to be a part of.
Pros
Basketball there really doesn't need to be much more said.
Cons
Not enough hours for a broke college kid who's trying to make money.
Great place to work and learn
SAP UA Intern, SAP University Alliance (Current Employee) –  Mount Pleasant, MIOctober 31, 2014
The job offers me a platform to showcase my creative abilities. Redesigning of CMU's SAP UA website, enhancing the digital presence of the Program, developing promotional materials are part of the job.

Other tasks include:
SAP TERP10 students’ performance analytics, website improvement, Web analytics, Assist students in learning SAP enterprise software. Researching latest improvements in SAP

Management and my co-workers encouraged me in coming up with new ideas and supported me to successfully implement those ideas.

I really enjoy this Job because I am not only helping students but also gaining confidence in multitasking and learning more on SAP and related technologies.

4.5