Central Michigan University

Central Michigan University Employee Reviews

Great place to o work, nice people
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Receivable accountingDecember 27, 2016
Loved working at CMU. Great experience.. it was very busy, we received all deposits from all departments, sent out the tuition bills and helped students and parents regarding school.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Very busy office during new semesters
Great Environmetn
Assistant Director, Events and Conference Services (Current Employee) –  Mount Pleasant, MINovember 8, 2016
Great place to work. CMU provides exceptional benefits packages, continued education opportunities, and extra curricular activities. Overall a fantastic place to work.
Cashier at CMU Bookstore
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Mt. Pleasant, MINovember 30, 2016
Typical day at work was boring. I learned how to balance the register and handle money. Management was not very good and hard to work with. Coworkers were great. Hardest part was being bored and finding something to do. Most enjoyable was the time spent making friends and meeting people from campus in the store.
Pros
working with people
Cons
boring, management
A day in the life of being an RA
Cobb Hall Resident Assistant (Current Employee) –  Mount Pleasant, MIMarch 19, 2016
It's stressful, but it's fun, and I wouldn't trade the experience for anything. We have weekly staff meetings, I program once a month for the residents on the floor, and the compensation is nice for the amount of work I do.
Stress free work environment with friendly staff and management
Physics Office (Former Employee) –  Mount Pleasant, MIJanuary 11, 2017
This was an office job where I assisted the physics professors and students. I managed phone calls and emails for the professors and department heads. I scheduled and prepared conference meetings and the necessary documents and spreadsheets. I also ordered the departments text books and filed and maintained scholarship documents. In addition, I advised students and handled basic office tasks.
Graduate Instructional Assistant (Former Employee) –  Mount Pleasant, MI 48859January 18, 2017
Good place to learn know new things and implement our ideas. Typically we work on developing structured procedures. managing crystal reports for simple programs execution. Learned how to setup huge hardware computers connecting to a LAN and how to share the files between the computers. Network error was a hardest part of this job when there is high traffic to the server.
Learn new technologies
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Mount Pleasant, MIOctober 28, 2016
Co-workers will encourage to participate in every activity and the management is also supportive. Will enjoy the work with more learning and new technologies.
Productive and convenient workplace.
Merrill Hall Desk Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Mount Pleasant, MIApril 28, 2016
Being a receptionist is a job that requires responsibility, hospitality, and warm, approachable personality. I had a great experience working here, it really tested my time management and ability to act on my feet which is something I was able to overcome. My co-workers were kind and respectful and had good communication with shift trades. The hardest part of the job would be deciding on who to call in the case of an emergency. There were always options on who to call in certain situations but deciding who the best person was, was challenging. The most enjoyable part of the job would be seeing and meeting people that I have never met or seen before and being able to be of service to them.
Pros
Able to do homework
Great place to conduct research
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Mount Pleasant, MIOctober 1, 2016
I was one of the very few fortunate people to work in new vibrations research lab. I was invested with all the necessary tools to conduct my research. Although, the balance of talking classes, and conducting research was a cumbersome task, later on the faculty supported to ace the field.
Pros
Great funding oppurtunity
Cons
The office staff is very slow
Good
Supplement Instruction Leader (MTH130) (Current Employee) –  Mt.pleasantOctober 4, 2016
Good, Challenging, Constant process changes, co-operative, change management methodology, everyday learning something new.
Great environment for student work
Student Assistant (Current Employee) –  Mount Pleasant, MIOctober 18, 2016
I love that students can take part in working in various offices on Central Michigan University's campus. It provides me with monetary assistance to get through my education.
Pros
flexible schedule, positive environment, caring employers
Cons
low hours, short breaks
Learning Experience
Graduate Assistant (Current Employee) –  Mount Pleasant, MIDecember 29, 2016
It has been a great and challenging learning experience so far. Got a chance to learn new skills while applying my already learnt skills.
Review
Mentoring Program Manager (Current Employee) –  Mount Pleasant, MIDecember 19, 2016
I like CMU and the things that the university have offered me. Although some of the positions I have applied to are unfair when selecting who they would like to hire.
Pros
Great work enviorment
Cons
unequal opportunities
Productive and fun place to work
Custodian (Former Employee) –  Mount Pleasant, MIJanuary 1, 2017
I loved everything about this job. The people, the environment and the pay. It was only temporary and would love to find a full time job
Pros
Great employees, great pay
Cons
Wasnt really anything i did not like
It's an amazing school
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Mount Pleasant, MIJanuary 3, 2017
I loved the graduate school life here. All the teachers were very good and very supportive. The campus and town is very safe place to live and the whole campus tends to feel at home soon.
A nice place to work.
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Mount Pleasant, MISeptember 26, 2016
I like the slow-moving environment in which the College is settled in. It allows for minimal distraction from a crazy and wild life which foe me, is not particularly conducive for learning.
Productive and fun environment
Student Assistant (Former Employee) –  Mount Pleasant, MIJuly 22, 2016
A typical day consisted of engaging and interacting with those that would come into the offices at Central Michigan University. From this, I learned the value of customer service and the skills to talk with individuals in a professional and accommodating manner. The hardest part of the job was leaving everyday and the best parts were when I was engaging those who would come into the office.
Great university and working environment
Accounts Payable Assistant (Current Employee) –  Mount Pleasant, MINovember 4, 2016
Flexible work schedule, friendly co-workers, continuous training, holiday parties, co-workers care about your education, able to apply school lectures to the workplace.
Communication skills with presenting anatomy material to students
Anatomy Supplemental Instructor (Current Employee) –  Mount Pleasant, MIApril 24, 2016
A Supplemental Instructor is a student who attends lectures and takes notes as a model student. In my case, I am the supplemental instructor for the anatomy course at Central Michigan University. I create worksheets from the notes presented in class or from the text so the students have an opportunity to review this material and understand it better. I hold two sessions a week where the students come and attend and review the material in a fun, less intimidating environment than lecture. This gives many students an opportunity to ask questions and not feels discouraged or intimidated by the amount of students there are in lecture. I make powerpoint, Kahoots, worksheets, and drawings in order for the students to understand the material better.
Pros
Communication skills, presentation skills, and learning experience
College
Mock Interviewer (Former Employee) –  Mount Pleasant, MISeptember 28, 2016
Volunteered on campus for interviewing candidates/students to prepare them for real world work. Enjoyed the experience and would recommend it to others.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Central Michigan University. Our community is ready to answer.

4.5