Central Michigan University

Central Michigan University Employee Reviews

A nice place to work.
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Mount Pleasant, MISeptember 26, 2016
I like the slow-moving environment in which the College is settled in. It allows for minimal distraction from a crazy and wild life which foe me, is not particularly conducive for learning.
Great university and working environment
Accounts Payable Assistant (Current Employee) –  Mount Pleasant, MINovember 4, 2016
Flexible work schedule, friendly co-workers, continuous training, holiday parties, co-workers care about your education, able to apply school lectures to the workplace.
Productive and fun environment
Student Assistant (Former Employee) –  Mount Pleasant, MIJuly 22, 2016
A typical day consisted of engaging and interacting with those that would come into the offices at Central Michigan University. From this, I learned the value of customer service and the skills to talk with individuals in a professional and accommodating manner. The hardest part of the job was leaving everyday and the best parts were when I was engaging those who would come into the office.
College
Mock Interviewer (Former Employee) –  Mount Pleasant, MISeptember 28, 2016
Volunteered on campus for interviewing candidates/students to prepare them for real world work. Enjoyed the experience and would recommend it to others.
Great job to have with opportunities to work with students and faculty alike
ADMINISTRATIVE AIDE/OFFICE MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GANovember 19, 2015
My day is filled with assisting students and faculty on different items collectively. Processing invoices for payment, collecting and submitting timesheets for hourly employees in US East Region (13 individual centers). Assist US East Operations Manager as his Executive Assistant.
Pros
Great university and staff to work with.
Cons
Lack of advancement opportunities
Communication skills with presenting anatomy material to students
Anatomy Supplemental Instructor (Current Employee) –  Mount Pleasant, MIApril 24, 2016
A Supplemental Instructor is a student who attends lectures and takes notes as a model student. In my case, I am the supplemental instructor for the anatomy course at Central Michigan University. I create worksheets from the notes presented in class or from the text so the students have an opportunity to review this material and understand it better. I hold two sessions a week where the students come and attend and review the material in a fun, less intimidating environment than lecture. This gives many students an opportunity to ask questions and not feels discouraged or intimidated by the amount of students there are in lecture. I make powerpoint, Kahoots, worksheets, and drawings in order for the students to understand the material better.
Pros
Communication skills, presentation skills, and learning experience
Best place to work for and challenging
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Mount Pleasant, MIApril 22, 2016
It was fantastic and I am well prepared for my career and have been successful in job. The social life at CMU was outstanding. I was able to balance social life with academics very well.
Positive work environment
Adjunct Professor of Management (Current Employee) –  Global CampusAugust 27, 2016
Central Michigan University has a quite positive work environment. I highly recommend anyone who considers teaching graduate level courses.
NIce place to work
Spanish Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Mount Pleasant, MI 48858June 28, 2016
I thank Central Michigan University for the opportunity to get Master's degree. However, there were some professors made it hard for me to achieve my goals and complicated my word. CMU is a great university but it would be way better if some changes with the faculty were made.
Cons
The Spanish Coordinator should be replaced
Graduate Assistant Position
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Mount Pleasant, MIAugust 3, 2016
This was a very fun and relaxed atmosphere where you get to work alongside professors in the counseling program. It is a great opportunity for your growth as a person.
Great faculty
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Mount Pleasant, MIJuly 25, 2016
Working for CMU enhanced my learning experience while helping to pay for tuition. Graded and created assignments, assisted research and conducted assigned experiments with students. 10/10 would GA again.
It is productive and fun working in that place
Team Leader- Campus Dining (Current Employee) –  Mount Pleasant, MIMarch 18, 2016
At times, due to bad weather conditions some of the employees do not show up for their shift. In that situation we used to manage with the existing employees without compromising in the quality of service. I learned that team effort plays a major role in most the cases. More over our managers do support a lot, provide us a friendly and comfortable environment. The hardest part of the job is sometimes people come in groups all at a time and because of this we need to increase the serving speed. But then we enjoy it. Most enjoyable part of the job is working with my team. They are very friendly and very supportive. We help each other in completing the work successfully.
Pros
free meal, appreciation for the work, gifts for the members who worked really good, helping the needy by providing food
Cons
short breaks
A day in the life of being an RA
Cobb Hall Resident Assistant (Current Employee) –  Mount Pleasant, MIMarch 19, 2016
It's stressful, but it's fun, and I wouldn't trade the experience for anything. We have weekly staff meetings, I program once a month for the residents on the floor, and the compensation is nice for the amount of work I do.
Very good place to work
Custodial Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Mount Pleasant, MIOctober 21, 2012
A typical day of cleaning a unit was making sure kitchen appliances looked new after cleaning, making sure all window were clean and sills were free of any and all debris, cleaning all light fixtures, banisters, carpets, and bathroom fixtures. All floors had to be stripped, waxed and buffed at the end of the cleaning process. Each unit took approximately 16 hours with the drying of the floors included. You worked alone on this job which was nice, but the hardest part of the job was cleaning up after someone totally destroyed the place and left garbage all over to be picked up. The most enjoyable part of the job was that you cleaned when your schedule permitted availability. Management was very good and supplied with all materials and body gear needed to complete job.
Pros
medical accidents on job covered, flexibility of hours
Cons
no benefits or perks
Great place to work and learn
SAP UA Intern, SAP University Alliance (Current Employee) –  Mount Pleasant, MIOctober 31, 2014
The job offers me a platform to showcase my creative abilities. Redesigning of CMU's SAP UA website, enhancing the digital presence of the Program, developing promotional materials are part of the job.

Other tasks include:
SAP TERP10 students’ performance analytics, website improvement, Web analytics, Assist students in learning SAP enterprise software. Researching latest improvements in SAP

Management and my co-workers encouraged me in coming up with new ideas and supported me to successfully implement those ideas.

I really enjoy this Job because I am not only helping students but also gaining confidence in multitasking and learning more on SAP and related technologies.
Student Employment
Various (Former Employee) –  EverywhereMarch 13, 2012
As a student, I found Central Michigan to be a great place to work for. There are many different jobs and it is easy to get your hours scheduled around your classes. Rules are fair and although the compensation is typically just above minimum, many jobs have room for advancement.

One thing to note is that you may be asked to do things that may be hazardous, unsafe and sometimes questionable. Especially if you are working maintenance departments. However, if there is any case where you feel uncomfortable doing something, just let them know. They are good about not forcing you to do stuff without the proper safety equipment or certifications if you tell them you don't want to.
Pros
scheduleing, advancement
Cons
safety
Takes online seriously
Instructional Designer (Current Employee) –  Mount Pleasant, MIMay 26, 2016
CMU is a steady and well run entity for the most part. It was a ways to go to understand the needs of running an online program and the innovation and flexibility needed to achieve results.
Pros
Strong benefit package
Cons
Disorganization of online unit
Productive and fun work place
Telecounselor (Former Employee) –  Mount Pleasant, MIMay 10, 2016
As a student worker my supervisor was very lenient in terms of my work schedule and had no issue when I needed to call off or come into work a bit later. The job was very simple and everyone in the workplace was very kind and enjoyable. I plan to work this job every semester until graduation.
Fun Work Place
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Mt. Pleasant, MIJune 8, 2016
I worked at Central Michigan University as Research Assistant. It has Quality education and super fun nothing bad about cmu except for the winter
Research.. Research.. Research!
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Mt. Pleasant, MIMay 9, 2016
Great place to work for and good work environment.
Very helpful to improve our skills.
the hardest part of the job is there is no end in the work because of the research and i loved it.
Pros
good work environment
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Central Michigan University. Our community is ready to answer.

4.5