Central Michigan University Employee Reviews

Excellent Student Opportunities
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Mount Pleasant, MISeptember 14, 2014
I worked as a graduate research assistant. The work was rewarding.
Great group to work with.
Fellowship Student (Former Employee) –  Mount Pleasant, MISeptember 7, 2014
Weeks consisted of classroom, and labratory, along with data entry.

Fun group to conduct research with & taught me time management and report writing.
Good Place to practice
Busser (Current Employee) –  Mount Pleasant, MIAugust 27, 2014
Prepare food such as chopped vegetables ahead, or serve meal during the lunch time and dinner time. I learned how to prepared food such as how much food should be prepare during the lunch time, how much food should be prepare during the dinner time. How to forecast in the future. In this job, not have too hard work to do.
Its a good place to work. And flexible working hours
Graduate Assistant (Current Employee) –  Mount Pleasant, MIJuly 17, 2014
I am working with different professor. It is helping me to upgrade my knowledge as well as skill.
Job for extra cash conveniently located on campus
Service Provider (Former Employee) –  Mount Pleasant, MIJuly 17, 2014
I did NOT have an enjoyable experience. I was late to work once and was fired.
>It was hard to understand the scheduling system at first.
Cliquey and Gossipy High school like work environment
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Mount Pleasant, MIJuly 14, 2014
A typical day at work usually consisted of a variety of small projects continuously and interchangeably being worked on. Although there was enjoyable music to listen to in the store, the louder and more frequent sounds were from the other managers gossiping about each other or other employees. The management enjoyed the gossip and encouraged it with in the workplace environment. Also, if you made a mistake management would jump on the chance to tell you in a harsh and sometimes public manner. Finally the scheduling was absolutely terrible and interfered with my classes and family commitments during every holiday break. The hardest part of the job was dealing with the work environment everyday. The most enjoyable part of the job was dealing directly with the customers and making the CMU students and faculty's lives a little bit easier.
Pros
pay for you books each semester if you work three events
Cons
on average only 10 hours a week, minimum wage, no breaks, interferes with classes
Fun college job
Food Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Mount Pleasant, MIJuly 8, 2014
I loved the diversity in the Down Under and all the new people you were able to meet while working.
Pros
half off meals
Cons
work during exam week
Exciting and Fun Place to Work
Camps and Conferences, Conference Hall Director (Former Employee) –  Mount Pleasant, MIJune 23, 2014
This is a fast paced environment that offers a great chance to learn something new every day.
It is really a friendly environment to work at
Developer at TechOps (Current Employee) –  Mount Pleasant, MIJune 9, 2014
My boss is really friendly, supportive and let us bring our own experiential solutions to the problem.
Pros
lunch discounts, development gadgets to play with
Great learning, and pleasant work environment
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Troy, MIJune 5, 2014
A typical day would consist of students wanting assistance registering for class, answering financial aid questions, making sure monitors have correct information for that night class. If hosting an event make sure everything is going to go smoothly. The most enjoyable part of the job is no matter what center you are at around the country we are all one great team and we like each other.
Pros
free tickets to events, great catered food, wonderful instructors and professors
Cons
meetings in far away locations, difficult students
Great Place to Work
Equipment Manager- Head Student (Former Employee) –  Mount Pleasant, MIMay 13, 2014
While a student it was great to be able to work in the athletic department. Learned a lot and met some really great people.
Good Experience, learned how research and analyze the results
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Mount Pleasant, MIApril 16, 2014
Very friendly environment, great and knowledgeable instructors with most friendly staff
great work environment
LPN Clinic Nurse (Current Employee) –  Mount Pleasant, MIApril 13, 2014
I enjoy working for this company, working with Physicians who are also teachers makes for a great learning environment
This is generally a great place to work.
SAP Basis Administrator (Former Employee) –  Mount Pleasant, MichiganApril 11, 2014
I had a very active work life, and was required to work a great deal outside normal working hours. However, the stress levels tended to be relatively low and the campus was a lovely place to spend time outdoors and to walk. Management was mixed. We were micro-managed or the management was uninvolved. That made our jobs a lot harder than they needed to be.
Enjoyed the really bright students
Adjunct Professor (Former Employee) –  Southeastern United StatesApril 2, 2014
Enjoyed travelling the Southeast to teach bright working adults
Pros
students were enjoyable
A very nice place to work at
Computer Technician, CMU (Former Employee) –  Mount Pleasant, MIMarch 31, 2014
Friendly co-workers, very helpful professors and a very good training program.
Uplifting and productive.
Chemistry Lab Aide (Former Employee) –  Mount Pleasant, MIMarch 20, 2014
I spent a lot of time helping students learn basic chemistry. Tutoring them on the steps of logical conclusions. It showed me various ways of teaching. I loved being hands on with science.
Good job, and good co-workers.
Custodian (Former Employee) –  Mount Pleasant, MIMarch 5, 2014
I learned various cleaning skills. Such as stripping, buffing and waxing floors. Also how to properly clean public areas such as lounges, dorm rooms, and bathrooms. The hardest part of working at CMU was getting everything cleaned in a short time frame. Sometimes we had to call in other crews to help us. My favorite part of the job was the people whom I worked with. They were great people and I had a great crew leader.
Excellent experience, with many ways to advance within the company.
Residence Hall Assistant (Current Employee) –  Mount Pleasant, MIFebruary 24, 2014
Great place to gain experience while still in college. Excellent work and personal life balance with many opportunities to move up.
Student Development model with an emphasis on Health and Wellness
Graduate Assistant of Fitness and Wellness (Current Employee) –  Mount Pleasant, MIFebruary 20, 2014
Overall working for University Recreation on Central Michigan University's Campus has been an incredibly rewarding experience. My daily tasks as a graduate assistant vary from day to day. I work closely with the Assistant Director of Fitness and Wellness and am currently in charge of staffing over 30 Group Fitness leaders as well as co-staff another 25 Fitness Specialists. Some days it is mainly administrative while I schedule employees as well as review their clock-in times and task codes. I am in charge of evaluating each student in the format they teach once a semester and discussing with them their class and areas of growth as well as areas of strength. I also am in I also meet with each student individually once a semester to discuss goals for the year. I have worked with marketing and advertisement to promote health and wellness programs as well as our group fitness schedule. I work in an environment where finding balance in our daily lives and work is extremely important. The biggest lesson I have learned at this point in my working career is to work in my 'sweet spot'. Meaning, there are reasons why we are all different and good at specific things and not so good at others. This concept creates a deep sense of unity and collaboration within our department and other areas around campus. The most enjoyable part of my job is working directly with the students and being and to be a positive influence in each of their lives. The most difficult part of this job is trying to prioritize big projects while still getting the day to day tasks completed. A lot of time projects seem  more... to get put on the back burner because my time is directed elsewhere. Also, projects take a lot longer to get completed due to the many obstacles I need to go through the get anything approved.  less
Pros
grad school is paid for, free fitness classes, free access to fitness facility, many conferences are paid for the purpose of professional development.
Cons
only 20 hours per week, based on a stipend from cmu.

4.5