Central Michigan University

Central Michigan University Employee Reviews

Fun Work Place
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Mt. Pleasant, MIJune 8, 2016
I worked at Central Michigan University as Research Assistant. It has Quality education and super fun nothing bad about cmu except for the winter
Very Friendly environment to work and good research opportunities
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Mount Pleasant, MIFebruary 11, 2016
I typically maintain 9 - 6 PM but its flexible if I can finish my assigned works. Sometimes I need to work until night. I learnt optical and chemical properties of materials at nanoscale ranges. I got trained with good number of techniques such as Raman, SERS, FTIR, UV-Vis, XRD, TEM, SEM, and EDS. Here, all colleagues are friendly and willing to help in need.
Pros
Provide large scale of technical instrumental facilities for research, also offers comprehensive course works.
Cons
Healthcare is not offered
Interactive and fun place to work
Internal Audit Intern (Former Employee) –  Mount Pleasant, MIDecember 9, 2015
Central Michigan is a great place to work with interactive and helpful management. There is great exposure to various departments and services which provide numerous opportunities for networking and building relationships.
Flexible
Graduate Assistant (Current Employee) –  Mount Pleasant, MIJanuary 4, 2016
This company allowed me to balance work life and school life in a productive manner. My co-workers were friendly and extremely helpful and I felt extremely comfortable working around them.
This is generally a great place to work.
SAP Basis Administrator (Former Employee) –  Mount Pleasant, MichiganApril 11, 2014
I had a very active work life, and was required to work a great deal outside normal working hours. However, the stress levels tended to be relatively low and the campus was a lovely place to spend time outdoors and to walk. Management was mixed. We were micro-managed or the management was uninvolved. That made our jobs a lot harder than they needed to be.
A very good starting job with excellent hours and great management and co-workers.
Building Maintenance Worker (Former Employee) –  Mt. Pleasant, MIJanuary 14, 2015
A typical day at work would involve painting, prepping rooms for paint, cleaning up after construction work, and other various construction and painting jobs. I learned proper and efficient prepping and painting techniques, how to weld pipes, and other construction methods. The management was always friendly, fair, and helpful, and co-workers were personable, educated in the jobs in which they performed, and were always willing to teach a new skill if it was not previously known. The hardest part of the job was doing tedious work work for hours at a time, but those such tasks did not require much skill. The most enjoyable part of a job was finishing the painting of a room or hall and revealing the finished product. The co-workers also made the job enjoyable.
Great place to learn and work while in school
Tech Services - PC Repair Tech (Former Employee) –  Mount Pleasant, MIOctober 7, 2015
While at this job i expanded my knowledge of computers and their hardware further. Management let you do your job without too much interference. Typically from day to day i would fix computer hardware and software issues with some virus removal and cleaning thrown in there as well.
Pros
Easy, Fun, Learning opportunities
Cons
Pay
Interesting place to work
Enrollment/Recruitment Specialist (Former Employee) –  Mount Pleasant, MINovember 27, 2015
I had a great experience working for Central Michigan University. My co-workers were fun to work with, and I enjoyed having lots of access to training and development for my career path.
Job overall
Intramural Basketball Referee (Former Employee) –  Student Activities Center (SAC)September 9, 2015
I really enjoyed the position I held at CMU as an intramural basketball referee. The work itself wasn't hard, the environment that was created by some of the frats and other teams made the league very competitive and overall a lot of fun to be a part of.
Pros
Basketball there really doesn't need to be much more said.
Cons
Not enough hours for a broke college kid who's trying to make money.
Central Michigan University is focus on teaching SAP knowledge to the students and did excellent job.
VB Graduate Assistant - Visual Basic tutor (Former Employee) –  Mount Pleasant, MIOctober 21, 2013
Time management at school
SAP knowledge (Configuration, ABAP, Modules)
Team work experience
Leadership experience
Multi-culture communication
Productive work environment
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Mount Pleasant, MIMay 4, 2012
Assisted Political Science Department faculty in conducting research and literature searches; carried out other duties, such as syllabi and visual aids; assisted in the classroom (i.e. lead discussion sections, correct exams, and record classroom attendance). Working as a graduate research and teaching assistant has allowed me to work with other graduate students with similar career endeavors, establish professional relationships with professors, develop networking skills, strengthen my analytical skills, and attend academic conferences.
Pros
appreciation lunches and supportive faculty
Cons
grading assignments
An average day for a CMU graduate assistant.
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Mount Pleasant, MIApril 13, 2015
The most enjoyable part of this job is the people I have been able to work with. The graduate assistants all work together in a single office, which provides an interesting and fun workplace environment. On a daily basis we are able to have legitimately thought provoking discussions, all while completing the various tasks that we have been either assigned or decided to undertake ourselves. This makes for an atmosphere of competitiveness, which results in a rather enjoyable experience.
Cliquey and Gossipy High school like work environment
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Mount Pleasant, MIJuly 14, 2014
A typical day at work usually consisted of a variety of small projects continuously and interchangeably being worked on. Although there was enjoyable music to listen to in the store, the louder and more frequent sounds were from the other managers gossiping about each other or other employees. The management enjoyed the gossip and encouraged it with in the workplace environment. Also, if you made a mistake management would jump on the chance to tell you in a harsh and sometimes public manner. Finally the scheduling was absolutely terrible and interfered with my classes and family commitments during every holiday break. The hardest part of the job was dealing with the work environment everyday. The most enjoyable part of the job was dealing directly with the customers and making the CMU students and faculty's lives a little bit easier.
Pros
Pay for you books each semester if you work three events
Cons
On average only 10 hours a week, minimum wage, no breaks, interferes with classes
Better than average pay
Adjuct Professor (Current Employee) –  Michigan troy campusOctober 6, 2012
I enjoy almost everything about teaching at this school. I believe that raises in adjunct pay occur, based upon time in the program.
Campus Employment
Residence Life Moving Crew (Former Employee) –  Mount Pleasant, MIJanuary 23, 2013
This job was flexible and I was able to develop great time management skills, while maintaining a steady job and heavy course load throughout my time at Central Michigan University. I was able to work in a productive and comfortable work environment with other fellow students. This job provided me the opportunity to build upon my people skills in a team structured environment.
Love the Culture
Athletic Event and Facilities Intern (Current Employee) –  Mount Pleasant, MIMarch 9, 2015
CMU is hands down a great place for an internship. I have acquired industry knowledge, first hand experience of event and facility management, and outside professional development.
Excellent productive work place
Student Catering Assistant (Current Employee) –  Mount Pleasant, MIJuly 8, 2015
Very friendly and culturally diverse. Management is very efficient at there job and the work keep you busy. Students are friendly and make the work atmosphere peaceful.
Pros
free food
Cons
healthcare
Great people to be around where everyone is willing to help others be successful
Resident Assistant (Current Employee) –  Mount Pleasant, MIOctober 30, 2015
Central Michigan gave me an experience that I will never forget. I've met life long friends and built my network up from the variety of different people I have came in contact with.
Pros
Free room and board
Cons
Early morning key-ins
Apparel production planning / Merchandising
Graduate Assistant (Current Employee) –  MichiganMay 16, 2015
1. Design detail (Tech pack) receives from buyer.
2. Consumption calculation of fabrics, trims and accessories.
3. Fabric, Trims and Accessories booking as per consumption.
4. Follow up all sampling stage from Development to Shipment as per buyer requirement.
5. Order sheet and trim card preparation based on approved trims and accessories.
6. Calculate full costing of a garment.
7. Production follow up and problem resolution in cutting, sewing, embroidery, printing and in
finishing to maintain the quality as well as to deliver the product within the lead time.
A good place to work.
Co-Camp Director (Current Employee) –  Mount Pleasant, MIFebruary 4, 2013
Typical day consists of a early morning session monitoring camp employees and campers in attendance. Logging camper hours. Organizing and preparing for lunch. Then a mid day session again logging workers hours and monitoring camper activities. Running a coaches corner where there is personal interaction between myself and the high-school coaches in attendance. An afternoon session where I monitor the camp employees and campers and log employee hours. Then a coaches social that night where I entertain coaches and ensure that they have a good time while bringing there athletes to our camps.
I learned how to manage people and time.
My co-workers are good hard working people.
The hardest part of the job is staying organized and working long hrs.
The most enjoyable part of the job is providing a great product.
Pros
providing a great product that promotes central michigan university
Cons
very demanding and time consuming

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Central Michigan University. Our community is ready to answer.

4.5