Central Park Conservancy Employee Reviews

Events
Intern (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 31, 2017
There is always a lot going on in this office and there are many events throughout the year to keep everyone busy and occupied. Not everyone works together, but in the end everything comes together.
Disorganized and money hungry
Park Staff (Current Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 15, 2017
Although conceived with the park and city's best intentions, the Conservancy has fallen into the rut of focusing solely on its upper level managements, and wooing wealthy donors rather than putting community and park/user relationships first.
Pros
excellent benefits
Cons
lack of individuality, poor communication, disorganized upper management
Inexperienced upper level management
Grounds Crew (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, NYJuly 26, 2017
This company is run like a startup although it has been in existence for 35 years and overtly proud of that fact. It is a culture founded and run on friendism. There is no reason to excel as advancement opportunities are minimal and as hardworkers receive the same across the board raises as slackers.
Pros
Vacation plan, nice immediate co-workers
Cons
Expensive healthcare, lack of support for grounds crew
Won't Get Fooled Again
Program Director (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 17, 2017
Disregard all of the reviews here from interns and volunteers. It's great that many had a positive experience, but that's par for the course because CPC favors that type of labor.

The management there created such a beehive of insecurity that the six years I spent there was consumed with answering employee satisfaction surveys, formal and informal, for people who couldn't care less. Not to mention an aggressive and threatening HR department which is feared by most.

Despite their lack of confidence in themselves, they do nothing to improve the culture and chip away at what little morale still exists. What kind of organization lays off dozens of people after receiving a high profile $100 MILLION GIFT? Then they turn around and incur a nearly $40 MILLION OPERATING LOSS.

You had one job - - to make this beautiful park that is fortunate enough to have a more than $60 million annual operating budget -
- - be a place that people would enjoy working at. You blew it.

I mean, when your HR department somehow even manages to anger the volunteers who may love the Park more than some of the staff, you're just awful.

The most beautiful and serene place in the city and you've ruined it for the staff by sucking the joy out of it. Someone really needs to follow the money and find out what's up here.
Pros
Views
Cons
Disengaged leaders; Beligerent HR group
excellent
Gardener/Landscaper (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 6, 2017
A fun place to work. Great coworkers and enjoyable work. Learned landscaping skills and the layout of central park. The only draw back was the pay which wasnt that great.
Pros
work
Cons
pay
Central Park Conservancy
Scholars (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 20, 2017
When I was working at Central Park Conservancy I was still middle school going towards high school and I was teaching me about life and how to treat people
Don't Recommend
Grounds Technician (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 3, 2017
Workers work to hard to be treated like children. They micro manage everything. They do not want the employees to grow. You work so hard to be at the same position for years, before they decided to move you up or you find another job. I've watched so many people come and go from their, just cause they see no room for growth. And the ones that bust their behind, there all year long can not move up the ladder, all because of a stupid evaluation or because they might have dumb reason why your not ready. You have a lot of stupid directors, supervisors, coordinators, & foreman with lack of communication.
Pros
Working with the volunteers, they are nice and understanding
Cons
They need to care more about their employees
challenging job.
Internship Student (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 22, 2017
A typical day was kind of hard because not always costumers know what they want and trying to be rude, then I had to take the situation under control and give the customer what he wants.
Pros
50% off lunch
Cons
working over time
Volunteer job, no salary.
Gardener's Assistant (Volunteer Job) (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, NYDecember 20, 2016
It was a great experience been a volunteer at the park!
The hardest part of the job is the weather (Winter) and the most enjoyable part of the job is working with gardens and alive landscapes.
Loved my job
Camp Counselor (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 17, 2015
Being a camp counselor was the best. Learned a lot, got along well with campers, coworkers and parents. Loved every moment of it.
Pros
The children
Cons
Summer heat
Great mission, central park is a very visible part of New York city
Budget Administrator (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 1, 2015
Very creative and committed staff. Great exposure to construction contracts and interactions with city agencies and private contractors.
Nice
Participant (Former Employee) –  Harlem, NYOctober 5, 2015
I was a nice experience with nice people who were around my age at the time which was 14. We raked up leaves and cleaned up some parts of the park, we learned about the environment and at the end of the program, we held a fundraiser.
Pros
Lunch Time, Interaction with people around my age
Cons
It got really cold
This is a degree project, great experience!
Student Consultant (Former Employee) –  New YorkJuly 14, 2015
Very supportive management and a great learning experience.We developed very intensive consulting and research experience.
Great company to work for
Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 17, 2015
Fast paced environment, always changing. Great opportunity to move up in the company. Management for my department was wonderful.
Central Park-The heart of NYC
Tree Care Coordinator (Current Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 5, 2014
It is an honor to work for the Central Park Conversancy, a non-profit organization, that partners with NYC Parks Dept to care for and maintain one of (if not the most important) NYC's treasures. The design and history of the park is amazing. As it ages, the park requires areas to be restored and enhanced for the public to enjoy. Management is excellent and the employees are well versed is various fields of expertise. In only 4 years I have seen the organization expand almost 50% and the parks level of care increase dramatically.
As an arborist and urban forester I could not ask for a better work environment, in the heart of New York City !
Pros
better experience with databases and arboricultural practices
Great place to work k
Visitor's Services Clerk (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 27, 2014
If you enjoy working with people, this is an amazing opportunity
Productive workplace with down to earth employees
Intern (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 2, 2014
I was an unpaid intern. I help out with several projects they had going on and attended meetings with my bosses. It was a pretty relax job and my bosses were really nice and down to earth. I also helped at one of the visitor centers in the park twice a week.
Pros
Down to earth people
Great place to work!!!
Maintenance Technician (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 24, 2014
Central Park is the most iconic Park in the area. People come from all over the world to see the park. We make the park special for each patron. I have learned how to drive so many vehicles. To plow and take apart the trucks, its a great skill to have.
Amazing environment and landscape to be around
Education Programs Coordinator (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 11, 2013
World-class park, mediocre job environment, sub-par management
fun job in summer
Grounds Technician (Current Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 2, 2013
good job to have in summer time plenty of people outside to make the job very pleasing able to drive company vehicles to get to far reaches of park made for less stress pay was fair for the job.
Pros
plenty of work and overtime
Cons
outside work during winter really hard at times