Central Refrigerated Services

Central Refrigerated Services Employee Reviews

Was a great place!
Planner (Former Employee) –  West Valley City, UTDecember 31, 2016
Central was an aggressive company. When I was there I felt excitement every day I went to work. I have never worked with a more capable team of managers and ops people in my life. They did a VERY good job assembling that team. It was incredibly rewarding and easy to move up if you did your job. It was a sad day when Swift bought them, and an even sadder year afterwards watching everything slowly erode.
Pros
pay, management, promotions, healthcare
Swift buyout
MS Careiers driver for 9 years. Swift for 5 months (Former Employee) –  JonestownDecember 26, 2016
I started my driving career with MS Carriers.
After Swift bought them out, MS Carriers went down the toilet.
It didn't take long for me to leave them once Swift took over. So many power units and trailers were totaled because of Swift drivers.
Pros
Before Swift took over. MS Carriers was an awesome company to work for!!!
Cons
.Swift took over and all the equipment went down the toilet.Dispatch is so incompetent
Very pleasant place to work
RECRUITER (Former Employee) –  Conley GAJune 16, 2016
Recruit students to the CDL training. The company made it a very fun place to work. The hardest part was students not showing up on the first day of training because they decided at the last minute they did not want to go out of town for their training. The best part of the job was the management I work with made you feel like part of their family.
Pros
Treated everyone like family
Cons
Location of the company was not in the best neighborhood
too good to last forever
Regional Load Planner (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTDecember 11, 2015
swift bought crfs end of story,central by was the best refrigerated trucking company well managed great people however new company arrived and changed everything cut salaries people benefits expanding work hrs and changing philosofy
Good company however now its Swift.
OTR Driver (Current Employee) –  West Valley City, UTNovember 27, 2015
My only issue with Central was that when it is time for your load finding a trailer was like trying to find water in a California Drought.
Pros
Great Benefits!
Cons
Serious trailer shortage. Low miles after 6 months
great schooling company
DIESEL TECHNICIAN (Former Employee) –  Pasco, WAJuly 20, 2016
Great schooling company and great place to expand your knowledge. Many great co-workers and level headed people. Here i was able to get certified in a/c and welding. I was promoted very fast and the company recognizes hard working employees.
Pros
great schooling
opportunities for learning and advancement
Body Technician (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTOctober 5, 2015
pretty organized system
there is opportunity to learn
the boss there was pretty good about leaving a person alone if they kept pretty busy.
benefits
Cons
there are so many employees and nepotism
lots of problems
OTR Tractor Trailer Driver (Former Employee) –  Conley, GAJuly 19, 2016
I am unable to speak on anything in regards to this company due to being involved in a lawsuit, along with many other drivers.
See the country, not your home
Long Haul Refrigerated Van Driver (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTJune 30, 2014
not a bad company, pay is low but for a first driving job that's about industry average if not slightly above. Swift owns Central, and now you are actually and employee of swift. Decent benefits, driver leaders vary quite a bit, make sure you get one you can work with or your pay will suffer. Be professional, take your job seriously and they will promote you. Look into whether your home city is favorable for Central or if your better off driving on the Dry Van side with swift, it will make hometime and dispatch a lot smoother.
Pros
paid tourist
Cons
never home, life on the go
God aweful
Over the Road Transportation Driver (Former Employee) –  West Valley City, UTJune 7, 2016
There is a reason this company is being sued. I made less then $20k a year and went home 5 times within the year to see my family. Constant negative checks because the totally rip you off. Worst company ever!!!!
CDL driver 48 states refrigerated products
Driver (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVDecember 21, 2015
I was so excited to travel and learn new skills each day. I met so many wonderful people at all the company's I delivered to in different states. I worked hard and drove safe. I drove in all kinds of weather conditions with safety always in mind. I exceeded in delivering products on time and learned allot. I always had a great attitude and loved the excitement. Only thing I can think that's been hard for me is to make a decision to transfer to another company and try making more money by doubling up driving with an acquaintance I met .
Pros
Travled and met new people. Learned a great deal.
Cons
Wasn't making enough .25 cents per mile. needed to use most on the road to survive.
Good place to learn how to drive the truck.
OTR Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  West Valley City, UtahNovember 11, 2011
This is the place where I learned to drive the big rig. I learned a lot during the three or four months I was with them.
Pros
free meals during orientation, medical benefits
Cons
training was not good, pay was not as good
I learned the trucking industry here
Company driver (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTMay 23, 2012
Traveled around the country picking up and delivering various refrigerated loads
Pros
enviornment, having a job, the sites
Cons
low pay for time, expense of benefits
its ok
Driver (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UT 84126March 2, 2016
was a great company before Swift took it over then all went out the window they treat you like a number and not a driver for them
No Life always on the road working.
OTR Driver (Former Employee) –  Fontana, CAJanuary 11, 2016
Good place to start off but not for a longer term. they taught me everything about trucking. they pay less because your new. your always on the road no home time.
Pros
learn things
Cons
no hometime
Great Company to work for.
OWNER OPERATOR (Current Employee) –  FONTANA CALIFORNIADecember 11, 2012
Iam now an Owner Operator for this Company.
Ive had a few different Jobs in My Lifetime, but I have Never worked for a Company that takes Such good care of not only their Employees, but they take Great Care of their Equipment as well.
The Training was Excellent.
Safety comes first with this Company.
And there is Plenty of Room for Advancement.
Within 20 days of being a Company Driver, I became an Owner Operator.
If you are just starting up in a Career as a Driver, this Company is Highly Recommended.
What ever questiobs you have for them, just ask, and they will be up front and honest about it.
Iam Very Proud to be an Owner Operator. And this Company has given me a.sence of pride to work for them.
Pros
training is awsome, plenty of room for advancment. as a driver for this company, you are very well taken care of
Cons
like every other company, you will have those driving and non driving employees who have nothing better to do than complain, dont listen to them, a job is what you make it.
Training to CDL class A
CDL Class A Driver (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTDecember 4, 2012
I went through the training program for 6 weeks to get my CDL class A. I liked the trainer and it was a good program. They did not tell me upfront how much of my own money I would be spending, and how little I would be getting paid. I enjoyed traveling and seeing all the different states, but between paying my licensing costs and all my own food, the .23 cents per mile was just not enough. I also did not like that when I enrolled in the program they told me the pay was 250 a week for weeks one and two and then 450 per week after that. As soon as I signed up to pay back the tuition the told me that it was now a different rate. I like the job, and the company, but I can't afford to work here anymore. It was very difficult to have a family and be away all the time, especially since I couldn't take care of them while I was away. The work was 6 weeks straight, then one week home.
Very Fun but extremely Stressful
Professional Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  West Valley City, UTJune 29, 2014
Management can see like they dont know what they are doing from time to time , there is a bad line of communication between DM's and load planners and load planners and Customer service and the customer

a typical day usually consisted of a typical OTR driver

learned alot of about time managment from working with Central the hardest part of it was more or less waiting on loads to become open in certain areas , i and i have to say the most enjoyable part of my time doing this job was when i was at the terminals always something to do and the company always tried to do something to celebrate the drivers hard work
Pros
Great food, Company events for drivers
Cons
bad communication between customers and company
Value of Family
OTR Driver (Current Employee) –  West Valley City, UTJuly 17, 2013
Central Refrigerated is not a family oriented company, meaning you are not guaranteed home time when requested. Your home time may be delayed by 2-3 weeks past your requested date. My co-workers were easy to get along with and very helpful to those who were new and gave great advice and encouragement. The most enjoyable part of my job was being able to live out my dream of driving the big rigs, however the hardest part about my job was being away for over a month from my family, including my 2 year old daughter. With regards to management, it was hard to communicate due to their lack of communication or various communication styles.

Working at Central I learned the value of team work from my co-workers and the importance of networking.
Good Miles, good pay
TRUCK DRIVER (Former Employee) –  West Valley City, UTMay 20, 2014
The job was a good and new experience but not for me. If you wanted to make a good income then the job had to come first and home very last. Its a tiring and exhausting job. The job requires that you rely on mostly youself to get the job done. The hardest part of the job would be to manage your sleep, time and stops. What i liked most was traveling around the 48 states. As for the management they were good but at times made the job difficult to where I would have to fix the problems to which they had no solutions.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Tiring, stressful, no home life

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Central Refrigerated Services. Our community is ready to answer.

2.7