Central Refrigerated Services

Central Refrigerated Services Employee Reviews

Was a great place!
Planner (Former Employee) –  West Valley City, UTDecember 31, 2016
Central was an aggressive company. When I was there I felt excitement every day I went to work. I have never worked with a more capable team of managers and ops people in my life. They did a VERY good job assembling that team. It was incredibly rewarding and easy to move up if you did your job. It was a sad day when Swift bought them, and an even sadder year afterwards watching everything slowly erode.
Pros
pay, management, promotions, healthcare
Swift buyout
MS Careiers driver for 9 years. Swift for 5 months (Former Employee) –  JonestownDecember 26, 2016
I started my driving career with MS Carriers.
After Swift bought them out, MS Carriers went down the toilet.
It didn't take long for me to leave them once Swift took over. So many power units and trailers were totaled because of Swift drivers.
Pros
Before Swift took over. MS Carriers was an awesome company to work for!!!
Cons
.Swift took over and all the equipment went down the toilet.Dispatch is so incompetent
Very pleasant place to work
RECRUITER (Former Employee) –  Conley GAJune 16, 2016
Recruit students to the CDL training. The company made it a very fun place to work. The hardest part was students not showing up on the first day of training because they decided at the last minute they did not want to go out of town for their training. The best part of the job was the management I work with made you feel like part of their family.
Pros
Treated everyone like family
Cons
Location of the company was not in the best neighborhood
great schooling company
DIESEL TECHNICIAN (Former Employee) –  Pasco, WAJuly 20, 2016
Great schooling company and great place to expand your knowledge. Many great co-workers and level headed people. Here i was able to get certified in a/c and welding. I was promoted very fast and the company recognizes hard working employees.
Pros
great schooling
lots of problems
OTR Tractor Trailer Driver (Former Employee) –  Conley, GAJuly 19, 2016
I am unable to speak on anything in regards to this company due to being involved in a lawsuit, along with many other drivers.
God aweful
Over the Road Transportation Driver (Former Employee) –  West Valley City, UTJune 7, 2016
There is a reason this company is being sued. I made less then $20k a year and went home 5 times within the year to see my family. Constant negative checks because the totally rip you off. Worst company ever!!!!
CDL driver 48 states refrigerated products
Driver (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVDecember 21, 2015
I was so excited to travel and learn new skills each day. I met so many wonderful people at all the company's I delivered to in different states. I worked hard and drove safe. I drove in all kinds of weather conditions with safety always in mind. I exceeded in delivering products on time and learned allot. I always had a great attitude and loved the excitement. Only thing I can think that's been hard for me is to make a decision to transfer to another company and try making more money by doubling up driving with an acquaintance I met .
Pros
Travled and met new people. Learned a great deal.
Cons
Wasn't making enough .25 cents per mile. needed to use most on the road to survive.
too good to last forever
Regional Load Planner (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTDecember 11, 2015
swift bought crfs end of story,central by was the best refrigerated trucking company well managed great people however new company arrived and changed everything cut salaries people benefits expanding work hrs and changing philosofy
Good company however now its Swift.
OTR Driver (Current Employee) –  West Valley City, UTNovember 27, 2015
My only issue with Central was that when it is time for your load finding a trailer was like trying to find water in a California Drought.
Pros
Great Benefits!
Cons
Serious trailer shortage. Low miles after 6 months
Very Fun but extremely Stressful
Professional Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  West Valley City, UTJune 29, 2014
Management can see like they dont know what they are doing from time to time , there is a bad line of communication between DM's and load planners and load planners and Customer service and the customer

a typical day usually consisted of a typical OTR driver

learned alot of about time managment from working with Central the hardest part of it was more or less waiting on loads to become open in certain areas , i and i have to say the most enjoyable part of my time doing this job was when i was at the terminals always something to do and the company always tried to do something to celebrate the drivers hard work
Pros
Great food, Company events for drivers
Cons
bad communication between customers and company
This company really focused on the correct use of ergonomics in the workplace.
Billing Clerk (Former Employee) –  West Valley, UtahJuly 8, 2014
I really enjoyed my employment here. The management team was very easy to work with. The opportunity for advancement was readily available and offered.
Pros
Ergonomics break room
Cons
n/a
Value of Family
OTR Driver (Current Employee) –  West Valley City, UTJuly 17, 2013
Central Refrigerated is not a family oriented company, meaning you are not guaranteed home time when requested. Your home time may be delayed by 2-3 weeks past your requested date. My co-workers were easy to get along with and very helpful to those who were new and gave great advice and encouragement. The most enjoyable part of my job was being able to live out my dream of driving the big rigs, however the hardest part about my job was being away for over a month from my family, including my 2 year old daughter. With regards to management, it was hard to communicate due to their lack of communication or various communication styles.

Working at Central I learned the value of team work from my co-workers and the importance of networking.
Great Company to work for.
OWNER OPERATOR (Current Employee) –  FONTANA CALIFORNIADecember 11, 2012
Iam now an Owner Operator for this Company.
Ive had a few different Jobs in My Lifetime, but I have Never worked for a Company that takes Such good care of not only their Employees, but they take Great Care of their Equipment as well.
The Training was Excellent.
Safety comes first with this Company.
And there is Plenty of Room for Advancement.
Within 20 days of being a Company Driver, I became an Owner Operator.
If you are just starting up in a Career as a Driver, this Company is Highly Recommended.
What ever questiobs you have for them, just ask, and they will be up front and honest about it.
Iam Very Proud to be an Owner Operator. And this Company has given me a.sence of pride to work for them.
Pros
training is awsome, plenty of room for advancment. as a driver for this company, you are very well taken care of
Cons
like every other company, you will have those driving and non driving employees who have nothing better to do than complain, dont listen to them, a job is what you make it.
Great day to day operations but management is lacking
Commercial Driver (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTJune 19, 2012
If you are looking to obtain your CDL license I would recommend Central. They start you out at .28 cents per mile. After a year you will be making .32 cpm. If you have a DD214 with an honorary discharge your CDL training is free!

The hardest part of the job is the lack of hometime trucking has. There policy is out for 28, home for 5.

The upper management is the only defect in the company I see. Appointing someone to direct a position that they have not done themselves seems illogical and it does happen.
Pros
great training program, good pay scale for entry level, great driving managers
Cons
only home once a month, upper level bosses are a joke
opportunities for learning and advancement
Body Technician (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTOctober 5, 2015
pretty organized system
there is opportunity to learn
the boss there was pretty good about leaving a person alone if they kept pretty busy.
benefits
Cons
there are so many employees and nepotism
its ok
Driver (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UT 84126March 2, 2016
was a great company before Swift took it over then all went out the window they treat you like a number and not a driver for them
Good Miles, good pay
TRUCK DRIVER (Former Employee) –  West Valley City, UTMay 20, 2014
The job was a good and new experience but not for me. If you wanted to make a good income then the job had to come first and home very last. Its a tiring and exhausting job. The job requires that you rely on mostly youself to get the job done. The hardest part of the job would be to manage your sleep, time and stops. What i liked most was traveling around the 48 states. As for the management they were good but at times made the job difficult to where I would have to fix the problems to which they had no solutions.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Tiring, stressful, no home life
go go go
Over the road Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  West Valley City, UTJuly 27, 2015
I was a lease operator, I enjoyed rolling down the road . My driver manager was awesome and always kept me profitable. The upper management was not supportive or positive as they could've been but, you don't have to deal with them unless their is a major problem. overall I really enjoyed working for them and would go back someday...
Pros
equipment/ pay
Cons
hometime
Semi-Driver Drop and Hook
Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Conley, GAJune 11, 2014
Start day off inspections of truck, consulting the Qualcome on trailer location and delivery. Basically driving and following all safety procedures and traffic regulation so as not to incurred any fines for the company. The challenging part was driving in higher regions or terrains making sure to follow all safety regulation, when descending can use brake except jake brake which slows the engines down. This was most challenging because I let fear inter the equations and I lost. There was no reward for me or enjoyable part because I really didn't master my career in this field
See the country, not your home
Long Haul Refrigerated Van Driver (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTJune 30, 2014
not a bad company, pay is low but for a first driving job that's about industry average if not slightly above. Swift owns Central, and now you are actually and employee of swift. Decent benefits, driver leaders vary quite a bit, make sure you get one you can work with or your pay will suffer. Be professional, take your job seriously and they will promote you. Look into whether your home city is favorable for Central or if your better off driving on the Dry Van side with swift, it will make hometime and dispatch a lot smoother.
Pros
paid tourist
Cons
never home, life on the go

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Central Refrigerated Services. Our community is ready to answer.

2.7