Central Refrigerated Services

Central Refrigerated Services Employee Reviews in United States

too good to last forever
Regional Load Planner (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTDecember 11, 2015
swift bought crfs end of story,central by was the best refrigerated trucking company well managed great people however new company arrived and changed everything cut salaries people benefits expanding work hrs and changing philosofy
CDL driver 48 states refrigerated products
Driver (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVDecember 21, 2015
I was so excited to travel and learn new skills each day. I met so many wonderful people at all the company's I delivered to in different states. I worked hard and drove safe. I drove in all kinds of weather conditions with safety always in mind. I exceeded in delivering products on time and learned allot. I always had a great attitude and loved the excitement. Only thing I can think that's been hard for me is to make a decision to transfer to another company and try making more money by doubling up driving with an acquaintance I met .
Pros
Travled and met new people. Learned a great deal.
Cons
Wasn't making enough .25 cents per mile. needed to use most on the road to survive.
Good company however now its Swift.
OTR Driver (Current Employee) –  West Valley City, UTNovember 27, 2015
My only issue with Central was that when it is time for your load finding a trailer was like trying to find water in a California Drought.
Pros
Great Benefits!
Cons
Serious trailer shortage. Low miles after 6 months
opportunities for learning and advancement
Body Technician (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTOctober 5, 2015
pretty organized system
there is opportunity to learn
the boss there was pretty good about leaving a person alone if they kept pretty busy.
benefits
Cons
there are so many employees and nepotism
its ok
Driver (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UT 84126March 2, 2016
was a great company before Swift took it over then all went out the window they treat you like a number and not a driver for them
No Life always on the road working.
OTR Driver (Former Employee) –  Fontana, CAJanuary 11, 2016
Good place to start off but not for a longer term. they taught me everything about trucking. they pay less because your new. your always on the road no home time.
Pros
learn things
Cons
no hometime
go go go
Over the road Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  West Valley City, UTJuly 27, 2015
I was a lease operator, I enjoyed rolling down the road . My driver manager was awesome and always kept me profitable. The upper management was not supportive or positive as they could've been but, you don't have to deal with them unless their is a major problem. overall I really enjoyed working for them and would go back someday...
Pros
equipment/ pay
Cons
hometime
For single people
Professional driver (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTSeptember 30, 2015
I trained for this job for thee months away form my wife. then when finally able to get into a truck of my own i get paid one week $17. $57 one week, when the allure was I would be making $1200 a week. I had to think of my family.
Pros
got to see the country
Cons
everything else
Okay workplace.
Class A Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTSeptember 8, 2015
Okay driving experience. Just slightly better than actual swift terminals in terms of communication. They generally have good runs. Lots of dedicated work, plenty of loads, but rarely do you get any home time. Overall, far from the worst company out there.
Pros
constant work. decent pay
Cons
no home time, terrible communication
its alright
Driver (Current Employee) –  west valley city utahOctober 13, 2015
its ok if you dont mind being yanked around. but if you are serious about runnign and making money go else where unless your new

Want to know more about Central Refrigerated Services?

Ask a question
Very productive and I enjoy every moment of it
Professional Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UtahJune 8, 2015
A typical day at work is traveling from state to state , meeting new people, and loading and unloading loads. I've learned to be my own boss. I've learned how to manage my time and money. I've learned how important it is to run a business. My coworkers are awesome I've never met anyone who does't love their job in this business. The hardest part of my job as truck driver is that it can be dangerous at times and I have to take precautions at times, but I don't mind because I'm observative anyways.
Worked there because I had to
Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  West Valley City, UTAugust 14, 2015
For the largest trucking company on the planet, they still have a long ways to go to be the best. Simply put, if you are a beginning driver and need the experience, start here and get the miles, but plan on moving on as soon as your can.
Pros
Can't think of any
Cons
Too many to list here
Bad place to work
Over the Road Driver/ Lease Operator (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTMarch 3, 2015
Horrible management they pressure you to take a lease my first company truck broke down more times than I can count was forced to take a lease to have desecent truck, but if you dont work 7 seven days a week with no time off you wont make any money!!!
Cons
horrible management, dispatchers dont care whether you make money or not
This company really focused on the correct use of ergonomics in the workplace.
Billing Clerk (Former Employee) –  West Valley, UtahJuly 8, 2014
I really enjoyed my employment here. The management team was very easy to work with. The opportunity for advancement was readily available and offered.
Pros
ergonomics break room
Cons
n/a
Very Fun but extremely Stressful
Professional Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  West Valley City, UTJune 29, 2014
Management can see like they dont know what they are doing from time to time , there is a bad line of communication between DM's and load planners and load planners and Customer service and the customer

a typical day usually consisted of a typical OTR driver

learned alot of about time managment from working with Central the hardest part of it was more or less waiting on loads to become open in certain areas , i and i have to say the most enjoyable part of my time doing this job was when i was at the terminals always something to do and the company always tried to do something to celebrate the drivers hard work
Pros
great food, company events for drivers
Cons
bad communication between customers and company
Ok for a starter CDL Job
OTR Driver/Professonial Driver (Former Employee) –  West Valley City, UTMarch 4, 2015
Minimal pay at first but some room for advancement, good starter company if safety record is clean with minimal accidents and preventables. Expected behavior of a large schooling company/driving job.
Truck driving
TRUCK DRIVER (Former Employee) –  Fontana, CAAugust 16, 2014
I have driven for other truck driving companies. At this company I drove across the US with a truck and trailer. I learned about refrigerated trailers as I had never ran a truck with one until I worked here. This companies managements biggest hurdle is that they have created a massive divide between the drivers and the office staff. The job was not bad if you do not mind being alone 28-30 days out of the month. The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing this beautiful country.
Pros
get to see so many places.
Cons
could take days to get a simple answer from the office. little weekend/evening support.
Value of Family
OTR Driver (Current Employee) –  West Valley City, UTJuly 17, 2013
Central Refrigerated is not a family oriented company, meaning you are not guaranteed home time when requested. Your home time may be delayed by 2-3 weeks past your requested date. My co-workers were easy to get along with and very helpful to those who were new and gave great advice and encouragement. The most enjoyable part of my job was being able to live out my dream of driving the big rigs, however the hardest part about my job was being away for over a month from my family, including my 2 year old daughter. With regards to management, it was hard to communicate due to their lack of communication or various communication styles.

Working at Central I learned the value of team work from my co-workers and the importance of networking.
See the country, not your home
Long Haul Refrigerated Van Driver (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTJune 30, 2014
not a bad company, pay is low but for a first driving job that's about industry average if not slightly above. Swift owns Central, and now you are actually and employee of swift. Decent benefits, driver leaders vary quite a bit, make sure you get one you can work with or your pay will suffer. Be professional, take your job seriously and they will promote you. Look into whether your home city is favorable for Central or if your better off driving on the Dry Van side with swift, it will make hometime and dispatch a lot smoother.
Pros
paid tourist
Cons
never home, life on the go
Good Miles, good pay
TRUCK DRIVER (Former Employee) –  West Valley City, UTMay 20, 2014
The job was a good and new experience but not for me. If you wanted to make a good income then the job had to come first and home very last. Its a tiring and exhausting job. The job requires that you rely on mostly youself to get the job done. The hardest part of the job would be to manage your sleep, time and stops. What i liked most was traveling around the 48 states. As for the management they were good but at times made the job difficult to where I would have to fix the problems to which they had no solutions.
Pros
pay
Cons
tiring, stressful, no home life