Central Refrigerated Services

Central Refrigerated Services Employer Reviews

Training
PROFESSIONAL DRIVER TRAINEE (Former Employee), Salt Lake City, UTJanuary 26, 2015
They train you and set you out on your own but forget that some of the training does not pertain to everyday real life situations.
Fun get to see new things
Commercial Diver (Former Employee), Salt Lake City, UTJanuary 23, 2015
Pros: being on the open road and seeing new things
Cons: chained to truck
I loved the job, my Driver Manager was awesome and they really worked with me on getting my home time when needed so in my opinion it was a good company.
Great learning start
CDL A Truck Driver (Former Employee), West Valley City, UTJanuary 20, 2015
Pros: great training
Cons: once purchased by swift transportation, pay was always messed up.
Central Refrigerated Service was a great place to work. However, when the company was purchased by Swift Transportation, then it went downhill fast. Would not recommend Swift Transportation to anyone.
Moved on to better things
Company Driver (Former Employee), Fontana, CAJanuary 3, 2015
Just your average starter company. Good if you don't know what to expect.
Exciting sites to see
OTR Company Driver (Current Employee), Salt Lake City, UTDecember 16, 2014
Happy to have had the experience of traveling through to 48 continental U.S. states
great
Semi Driver (Former Employee), West Valley City, UTDecember 11, 2014
Pros: pay as lease operator
Cons: home time, but it is trucking
Central was a good place, I was dedicated to coors and had good home time. I was a trainer there and had good students.
Good place to work, Great experience and great home time
Intermodal Truck Driver (Former Employee), Chicago, ILNovember 10, 2014
Pros: home time, mostly drop and hook, great dispatch and they kept me running
Cons: swift took over and i spent more time at a terminal than working.
Central was a great comany. I enjoyed working there until Swift took over. I learned alot in Chicago driving for the intermodal dept. My dispatcher was great and a very understanding guy. The hardest part about the job, well there was no hard part it was all easy, planned well and fun.
Best job for the person without a family
Company Driver (Current Employee), Rochelle, IllinoisNovember 5, 2014
Pros: hours, money, travel, amazing meals at road stops
Cons: no family time, isolation, demanding busy spurts quarterly.
If you desire being away for 4 weeks at a time with little to no comforts in life available then being a truck driver is for you. You're pay is about on par with most entry level skilled work, but the fact is you never get to really enjoy the money you make. Sure you're free to travel the roads of America and see the wonders from the open road. Even on occasion have a vacation wherever you choose as long as your dispatch gives you the go ahead with a load that direction. That may be all good well, however you wont see anyone you care about in person, save for a few days a month that you're allotted.

Its not all bad though, you can virtually make your own hours up as you go along. You do have a boss within 1,000 miles of you. Best of all, most days you can simply sleep in due to bad weather in the winter, no more alarm clocks for these guys. All things considered its a double edged sword of sorts. Take it with a grain of salt and if you nothing better to do. Drive a truck.
If you like being away...this is for you
Truck Driver (Former Employee), West Valley City, UTOctober 15, 2014
Pros: class a licence
Cons: not home much
Long hours consisted of driving or waiting hours to be loaded/unloaded

Got to see a lot of the country
Central Refrigerated was like large a family.
Corporate Buyer / Mail Room Operations (Former Employee), Salt Lake City, UTOctober 3, 2014
Most days, I looked forward to going to work at Central. I took pride in being part of the team.
I love it at first...
O.T.R Driver (Former Employee), Salt Lake City, UTSeptember 17, 2014
Pros: pay, miles
Cons: just a number
I love driving at first till I wanted to go home and then the dispatchers were just rude and very unprofessional.
?
Truck Driver (Former Employee), West Valley City, UTSeptember 15, 2014
nice place to work great job met a lot of good people? learn from the best
Truck driving
TRUCK DRIVER (Former Employee), Fontana, CAAugust 16, 2014
Pros: get to see so many places.
Cons: could take days to get a simple answer from the office. little weekend/evening support.
I have driven for other truck driving companies. At this company I drove across the US with a truck and trailer. I learned about refrigerated trailers as I had never ran a truck with one until I worked here. This companies managements biggest hurdle is that they have created a massive divide between the drivers and the office staff. The job was not bad if you do not mind being alone 28-30 days out of the month. The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing this beautiful country.
Wonderful job experience.
Over the road truck driver. Lease purchase. (Current Employee), West Valley City, UTJuly 24, 2014
Pros: it's a good truck driver starter company.
Cons: everything
I would still be working with this company, if they were not bought out by Swift Transport. Central was a great company to work for. The dispatchers were honest and fair. Everyone wanted to be at work, and they new what they were doing. Now it seems like their are warm bodies filling chairs that don't even know their name, or whats going on. I don't like to fight for a paycheck I already earned. If you are looking for a job wonderful, if you want to work stay far away from this place, they don't want to.
Great routes but to much down time
Truck Driver/ Owner Operator (Former Employee), Salt Lake City, UTJuly 22, 2014
Pros: seeing the world meeting new people
Cons: to much down/wait time
A typical day is seeing the world behind a huge windshield I learned to be more patient and how to work alone my management was very rude at times and very hard to communicate with. I worked alone so no co workers present and the hardest part of my job is the weather. Most enjoyable part is seeing the world and meeting new people
Hard place to work
Truck Driver (Current Employee), Salt Lake City, UTJuly 15, 2014
Pros: good pay
Cons: home time.
After the take over of swift everything that led me to working for this company, went down, such as communication with the DM and operation, time between loads.
nothing good to say
OTR TRUCK DRIVER (Current Employee), Decatur, GeorgiaJuly 12, 2014
do not come to this company. they do not care about there there drivers or trainees. wish i would have never came to this company
This company really focused on the correct use of ergonomics in the workplace.
Billing Clerk (Former Employee), West Valley, UtahJuly 8, 2014
Pros: ergonomics break room
Cons: n/a
I really enjoyed my employment here. The management team was very easy to work with. The opportunity for advancement was readily available and offered.
See the country, not your home
Long Haul Refrigerated Van Driver (Current Employee), Salt Lake City, UTJune 30, 2014
Pros: paid tourist
Cons: never home, life on the go
not a bad company, pay is low but for a first driving job that's about industry average if not slightly above. Swift owns Central, and now you are actually and employee of swift. Decent benefits, driver leaders vary quite a bit, make sure you get one you can work with or your pay will suffer. Be professional, take your job seriously and they will promote you. Look into whether your home city is favorable for Central or if your better off driving on the Dry Van side with swift, it will make hometime and dispatch a lot smoother.
Very Fun but extremely Stressful
Professional Truck Driver (Former Employee), West Valley City, UTJune 29, 2014
Pros: great food, company events for drivers
Cons: bad communication between customers and company
Management can see like they dont know what they are doing from time to time , there is a bad line of communication between DM's and load planners and load planners and Customer service and the customer

a typical day usually consisted of a typical OTR driver

learned alot of about time managment from working with Central the hardest part of it was more or less waiting on loads to become open in certain areas , i and i have to say the most enjoyable part of my time doing this job was when i was at the terminals always something to do and the company always tried to do something to celebrate the drivers hard work

1 2 3 4

About Central Refrigerated Services

Central Refrigerated Service, Inc. was formed in 2002 as a subsidiary of Central Freight Lines, Inc. In April 2002, Central Refrigerated – Read more

Central Refrigerated Services Photos