Central State Hospital Employee Reviews

Variety of patient
LPN (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYJanuary 31, 2016
Very interesting job taking care of mentally ill patients. Learned about various mental disorders in addition to the treatment needed for their care.
Pros
flexible, fun, interesting
Cons
could be dangerous with angry, violent patients
I enjoyed my employment at these institutions and never had a problem doing what was expected of me.
Mental Health Worker (Current Employee) –  Louisville, KYJanuary 12, 2016
Busy work day, but manageable. I learned to handle each situation professionally. I have had a great working relationship with each manager. I've worked with lots of co-workers and have never had a problem. the hardest part of the job is wanting to feel like you gave your best service. The most enjoyable part of the job is when I realize I met the client need.
Pros
Holiday Bonus
Cons
Missed breaks
Good shift hours, competitive medical benefits.
Police Officer (Former Employee) –  Petersburg, VAJanuary 5, 2016
A typical day of work consisted of providing security to all staff, patients, inmates and visitors to the campus. I learned that campus police work was much different that being an officer in the city or county. The Public Safety Management did not look out for the best interest of it's employees. However, the Management of Central State Hospital is well run. There was little to no training provided.
The hardest part of the job was working a case and it being taken away because it would be handled "internally." The most enjoyable part of the day was being able to assist the public.
Pros
8 hour shifts
Cons
Slow work flow. Boredom.
Very Unorganized
Forensic mental health tech (Current Employee) –  Petersburg, VADecember 24, 2015
it is an understaffed facility and with the clients that are received it needs more male staff verses woman to handle the clients that are received.
Pros
eight hour shifts
Cons
short breaks, short staff
Nice Team Building enviroment
Health Services Technician (Former Employee) –  Milledgeville, GAOctober 19, 2015
I learned great team building skills while working here. Acquired knowledge of infection control procedures as well as insuring the safety and secure of the individuals.
Very negative workplace atmosphere
LPN (Current Employee) –  Petersburg, VAOctober 12, 2015
The supervisors talk to staff and patient ANY kind of way, including profanity. The workplace atmosphere is very negative, and there is no cohesive working unit. Management turns a blind eye to issues raised, and instead blames the one who brings it up. CANNOT WAIT TO LEAVE HERE!!!
Fun working place
Licensed Practical Nurse (Former Employee) –  Milledgeville, GASeptember 20, 2015
I enjoyed working at Central State Hospital. You will fall in love with the individual you supprt. It puts a smile on your face when you know you makes a difference in someone live.
Pros
Paid days off
Cons
Short breaks
Ok place to work
Forensics Technician (Current Employee) –  Milledgeville, GASeptember 11, 2015
You have to be very mindful of your surroundings. Management sometimes don't understand the danger of being faced one on one with clients, therefore being consistent all the times goes along way in this field.
Fast-paced and long work weeks
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Petersburg, ViginiaSeptember 8, 2015
This is a fast-paced atmosphere. Co workers are silly and okay to be around. Clean work place for the most part. Staff worked as a team to handle situations.
Pros
State job
Cons
Great entry level job in security and corrections
Safety and Security Technician (Former Employee) –  Petersburg, VASeptember 4, 2015
Great for anyone who wants to go to school online or in the classroom. Its a great stepping stone for anyone who wants a career in the criminal justice field
Pros
Benefit package is okay
Cons
Underpaid for education experience and previous job experience
100 Per cent
TRAY LINE WORKER (Former Employee) –  Petersburg, VAAugust 12, 2015
I love coming to work every day.Because of the good food n my coworker n especially talking to the patients even tho they have to be there. They put a smile on my face every day.N I love that.
Friendly working environment
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  PetersburgAugust 7, 2015
As a Securiy Officer I supervised patients inside of the mental health unit, maintained paperwork and data logs, monitored safety and risk controls within the facility, received and passed security keys to staff, controlled security doors and gates from control room, and responded to emergency situations when need.
nice people
Food service employee (Former Employee) –  Milledgeville, GAAugust 5, 2015
i learned a lot at this job, I enjoyed my co-workers, and management team. Great place to meet new people very supportive.
Very productive place to work , coworker and management was great .patience was okay
Dietary Assistant (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYJuly 29, 2015
Central state was a very laid back place to work , not only or yo working but your also learning how to work out your comfort zone and being able to work under pressure . i would advise anybody to work there
Nice place
Medication Nurse (Former Employee) –  Petersburg, VAJuly 28, 2015
I enjoyed working here and the staff. Sometimes it can get hectic but overall it's ok. The hardest part of this job was dealing patient from jail because they were very dangerous and could easily kill you.
benefits
Cons
pay
Fun work place and good environment
HST-Health service Tech (Former Employee) –  Milledgeville, GAJuly 18, 2015
A typical day at work would be coming to work ready to get my clients out of bed and dressed so that they could go eat breakfast of dinner.I learned how to care for other and to do CPR. My co-workers was amazing. We always lend a helping hand when and if needed. The hardest part of the job was learning the staff and clients but after learning the job it was much easier.The most enjoyable part of my job was seeing the smiles on the clients faces and knowing that they enjoyed me just as much I did them.
Pros
Holiday Parties
Cons
Short staffed at times
It's A Job
Forensic Mental Health Tech (Current Employee) –  Petersburg, VAJune 25, 2015
I work with different types of people. Some are good and some are bad but mostly they all need help with an illness. The management sucks and nobody likes to work as a team. There are some good nurses and techs that works here. The is not hard at all but the people and management makes it an uncomfortable environment to work in with the types of paitents that we work with.
Great job at local Adult Psych hospital.
RN in an Acute Care psychiatric Facility (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYJune 11, 2015
Typical day at work was the direct patient care of mental health patients on a co ed 30 bed unit. Typical duties included, observation and charting of patients activities, medication administration, supervision of ancillary staff. Also, trained in the management of aggressive patients,
Great working environment. Staff were awesome. Management was supportive of staff and made efforts to assure that adequate staffing needs were obtained.
Hardest part of the job was dealing with psychotic and aggressive patients safely. The best part of the job was the close knit environment
Pros
People
Rn
RN 2 (Current Employee) –  Petersburg, VAMay 27, 2015
Central state hospital is extremely understaffed to dangerous levels. Mandated overtime is required. As an experienced RN, I felt I did not get proper training and feel the work environment is not safe. Upon taking this position the salary was extremely Low. Staff are overworked, underpaid and stressed and sleep deprived. Management seems to be promising change however this facility need help quickly or to be shut down. The staff work hard but this environment places people both patients and staff at high risk for injury, serious injury. Staff are hurt regularly and facility is old, security is very lax and this is a maximum security. I heard it was better before but in my short time there it was scary, and sad..
Pros
benefits healthcare
Cons
safety risks, poor staffing, no communication with supervisors, training program very short and ineffective
Awlful management!
LPN (Former Employee) –  VirginiaMay 4, 2015
This hospital is run by non medical staff! Unknown to the poor security for staff from patients. Nursing is the first line of defense. The pay is lower than being a CNA with a med tech certificate. You are considered a PN without an option and no knowledge unless you are a RN. You are mandated to stay over without notice during the holidays mostly. Your overtime and shift diff. is paid a month later.
Pros
Cons
see below