Central State Hospital Employee Reviews

Providing Patient Care
Charge Nurse (Former Employee) –  Milledgeville, GAApril 23, 2017
Provided patient centered care with goal oriented care plans and progress notes. Excellent Benefits and Diverse Staff. The most enjoyable part of the job is working with the patients and watching them experience new things. The difficult part of the job was constantly being understaffed.
Decent place to start but not a place to make a career of.
Mental Health Technician (Current Employee) –  Petersburg, VAApril 22, 2017
I started at the hospital about 10 years ago. I thought it was once a steady job but things have changed so much. I just worry that my job could be changed again or they eliminate it completely.
working with people with medical, mental and physical disability
Customer Service Rep Manager (Former Employee) –  Petersburg, VAApril 11, 2017
vital signs, documenting of behaviors and mood changes, escorting clients of on medical or court appointments. securing welfare and safety checks. washing, clothes, feeding
Pros
working with people
Cons
lack of promotions and wages
Nice co-workers
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  GAApril 2, 2017
Nice place to work. Everybody works well together. The hardest part of the day is saying bye to everybody. My enjoyable part of the day is putting a smile on some one face.
Look elsewhere unless you're desperate
Not defined (Former Employee) –  Petersburg, VAMarch 31, 2017
This is a miserable place to work. Administration is clueless about how poor morale is. They do not respect their staff or reward great workers. Their superficial attempts to act like they care about staff are very transparent. It is clear that they are self serving. They constantly require staff to do more with less. Turnover of staff is very high. Don't expect promotions as they tend to put their own people into higher level positions rather than rewarding existing staff for their hard work and dedication. This is a toxic work environment.
Pros
Patients
Cons
Administration, terrible morale
Forensic Mental Health Technician
Forensic Mental Health Technician (Former Employee) –  Petersburg, VAMarch 27, 2017
I would have to say this is a bad place to work. There's not enough staff at all!!! The pay isn't worth what you have to deal with. Lots of mandatory over time..the safety and policies are horrible!! Please stay away from this place!!!
Pros
Working with good staff
Cons
Lots of mandatory overtime, not enough staff and polices were unfair
A different type of workplace
Therapist 1 (Current Employee) –  Petersburg, VAMarch 21, 2017
There are some good days and some not so good days as that comes along with any place of employment. I wish there were more opportunities for advancement.
Fun place to
Health Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Milledgeville, GAMarch 14, 2017
I enjoyed working at central hospital as a hst. If they was still open I still would be working there but, I learned alot from working at csh..I learned how to take of people and make sure they are love.
I really enjoyed my job here
Mental Health Technician (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYMarch 3, 2017
I really enjoyed working at CSH! Mental Healthcare is not for everyone but I enjoyed my job. Interacting with and helping patients learn better coping skills. It's nice to see some of the patients become healthier and learn skills for life you have a sense of accomplishment when you look at the big picture.
Pros
Variety
Cons
Some of the supervisors can be difficult and not much room for advancement
productive
Health Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Milledgeville, GAFebruary 17, 2017
work was very enjoyable at times; learning new clients in different settings was very interesting and challenging at times. the management was excellent. the job was hard at all , but working as a team was the most enjoyable.
Pros
Team work
Cons
Learning to agree to disagree
Wonderful Management
Mental Health Technician (Former Employee) –  LouFebruary 10, 2017
Management is wonderful and strives to help you do everything you can for patients. The hard part is working within the constraints, including budget of the state.
Excellent place to work
Forensic Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Milledgeville, GAFebruary 6, 2017
On a typical work day I provide clinical and administrative support to the Forensic Service Program. The facility provides care and treatment for individuals that have criminal charges and are referred through the courts.
The most enjoyable part is to witness the recovery of the individuals and transition them back into the community.
The hardest part is finding placement in the community for the individuals
nice workplace
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Milledgeville, GAJanuary 18, 2017
I enjoyed my boss and co-workers. I participated in several state mandated classes that were very helpful. I enjoyed the people that I interacted with on a day to day basis.
Pros
alot of employment perks
Cons
dealing with rude employers
Enjoyed learning them different ideas
Instructor 1 (Former Employee) –  Milledgeville, GA 31062January 4, 2017
Develop treatment plan based the individual, develop goals and assist when needed. Good group of people to work with, great atmosphere. The best part of the job is when you help the individual accomplish his or her goals.
High security
Psychology Assistant (Former Employee) –  Petersburg, VAOctober 7, 2016
My typical work day involved treatment team meetings with forensic patients, counseling on restoration of competency to stand trial and facilitating structured and informed based groups. Inputting patient level of participation daily, writing and submitting bi-monthly and monthly reports. I have gleaned from my experience at Central State Hospital stronger case management techniques. I enjoyed working with such an awesome psychology department. The hardest part of the job was working with the patents. The most enjoyable part of the job was observing the patient learn the needed material and moving forward in their treatment.
Pros
Awesome psycholgy department
Cons
Working with the criminally insane
productive
Cook (Former Employee) –  Pineville, LAOctober 2, 2016
this a state job and is required to take care of residents unless this is what you like I suggest you not be in this field Real good state job if you are young and looking for retirement
Pros
nothing
Cons
nothing
It could be alot better
Safety and Security Technician (Current Employee) –  Petersburg, VA 23803September 7, 2016
The job itself is okay. But the supervisors at the worst people ever to deal with. They have no formal education and they are chosen according to how much they like you or if you are a family member.
Good Job
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Petersburg, VA 23803September 4, 2016
Working for central state is a good job with good benefits. The security staff is great and is there when they are needed.
Laid back work environment
Medicine Nurse (Former Employee) –  Milledgeville, GAAugust 8, 2016
Work days often slow but never dull. Administering medication and treatments to psychiatric patient and prisoners challenge me to learn the importance of the study of the mind. Many of days the big challenge was how to convince the patient that the care you are giving is beneficial. Working with good co-workers helped make the job easier. The hardest part dealing with psychiatric patient were seeing the patient hurt themselves. The most enjoyable part was working with a friendly group of co-workers.
Pros
Comfortable work environment.
Cons
To far to travel round trip.
Work styles of Central State Hospital
Forensic Mental Health Technician (Current Employee) –  Petersburg, VAJuly 26, 2016
In my years of working with the patients at Central State Hospital, it has broaden my horizons for the Mentally Ill and Incompetent patients. Also from working with the patients that resided at Southside Virginia Training Center gave me a starting thought of how one person's life could totally be dependent on the care that they receive from someone else. I respect and understand that some people have to go through life not understanding why they do the things that they do to get them here at Central State, while others are full of knowledge and anger to mistreat someone else's family member or their own. We provide an environment to hope them cope with the illnesses and to educate them on daily required living skills to rehabilitate them if possible to return into the community or into another step down facility that would fit their needs.
Pros
Good benefits, and job security

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Central State Hospital. Our community is ready to answer.