Central States Manufacturing, Inc.

Central States Manufacturing, Inc. Employer Reviews

toxic
Business Development Manager (Current Employee), Michigan City, INDecember 17, 2014
Pros: esop
Cons: turnover. lack of advancement. bully management. unrealistic sales goals.
Be advised. Company sales turnover is over 85% in the first year, largely due to lack of support and unrealistic goals set by mid to senior sales mangement. Totally inept management.
Central States Mfg Inc as a great place to work
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee), Jasper, ALNovember 22, 2014
Pros: 100 % employee owned, esop
Cons: slight communication issues
Central States Mfg Inc is a wonderful company founded on Christian values and ethics. The employees are a family.
Totally Inept Plant Managemant
Retail Store Manager (Former Employee), Jasper, ALOctober 24, 2014
Pros: benefite were acceptable
Cons: inept management
Co-workers were great, hard working, reliable and fun to be around. Plan on a 60 hour work week with no recognition or support from management, which it totally inept; meaning without skills.

The plant stays in utter chaos. Employee moral is low, turnover is high, and very few are happy being there.

I learned how to be humiliated, embarrassed and talked down to, and walk away. I learned how not to set goals, and be ridiculed when the unrealistic goals were not met. I learned how to continuously apologize the the contractors (customers) because the company didn't give a rip about them and gave me no support in providing superior customer service to them.

The company culture makes it impossible to be successful. Their Value Statement is toilet paper. There is no Integrity, Honesty, or Accountability in management.

The hardest part of the job was knowing I was unable to do my job because management made it impossible.

The best part of the job was the relationships I built with the plant employees and contractors. God Bless Ya'll. You need it!
No Integrity, No Honesty, No Accountability
Retail Store Manager (Former Employee), Jasper, ALOctober 16, 2014
Pros: benefits ara acceptable
Cons: inept management
I gave an overall rating of 1 because that was the lowest ranking available. The management in this plant is awful. There is no communication between departments or support from management for the retail center. Central States is a manufacturing/distribution company that says they want to be in retail. As an outside sales rep, you will be put in direct competition with CSM distributors. Your territory is restricted as is your advertising. Do noe expect any training, coaching or support from upper management for Metal Central. Prepare for 60 hr work week.

Work/Life Balance got a 2 because there is vacation time and holidays off.

Compensation got a 3 as it is acceptable.

Job security gets a 1 because there is none. They have had 5 managers in 7 years. You will be in direct competition with the manufacturing plant for space and time. You will lose.

Management gets a 1 because that is the lowest rating choice. Management knows nothing about retail; How to do market analysis, segmenting, targeting, positioning, forecasting; nada... nothing... but they do set your goals with no input from you.

Job Culture again got a 1 because that was the lowest rating choice. They promise to treat everyone with integrity, honesty and accountability. They can throw that in the garbage. The culture there is awful.

So, if you want to be humiliated, belittled, talked down to and work 60 hours a week, this may be the ideal job for you. This review is in the context of Metal Central only.

I would like to end with something positive. I forged some great relationships with contractors in the area and with employees in the plant. God Bless Them.

When you get terminated, you will be asked to give them ideas on improving the operation. I reached out to executive management (Lowell) but obviously they had no interest as they ignored me.
Friendly but competitive environment
Employee Health & Safety Coordinator (Current Employee), Lowell, ARAugust 19, 2014
CSMI is a fantastic company to work for, but adjusting to the culture is crucial, and the company is not for everyone. If you are flexible in your work environment, willing to put the customer (internal and external) first, and willing to relocate, you'll have no problem advancing and excelling in this company. Hands-down the best employer I've ever worked for.
Perfect job....if you're a robot
Business Development (Former Employee), ARApril 3, 2014
Pros: base salary was good.
Cons: disorganized. unprofessional.
I left a good job to take this position.
If I'd just read these reviews, I would have never done so.
The "orientation" was a disorganized mess.
Management, if you can call it that, put no single person in charge
of my introduction to the firm.
I felt like I was still going through an interview process the entire first week.
In the end, I was dismissed after 6 days and the reason?
"I was not coachable." aka I was not the robot they wanted.
The best thing they did for me was to let me go.
If I had relocated there and THEN discovered how micromanaging they were, it would have been a worse disaster than it was.
High Paced Just on Time Manufacturing Facility of Metal Building Components
Maintenance Manager (Current Employee), Michigan City, INMarch 20, 2014
Schedule Work and Projects for Myself and Maintenance Staff
Attend Meetings With Supervisors Concerning Workflow ,Projects and Give Progress Reports and Meet Deadlines on Time
Proactive in Continuous Improvement of all Processes Gathering
Ideas and Implementing Modifications to Equipment and Workflow Areas in A Safe And Productive Manner
Identify and Correct any Issues Concerning Safety
Source ,Purchase and Maintain Critical Parts Inventory
Monitor P,M Program to get in front of potential issues and Scheduling Non Disruptive to Production Repair Times and Minimizing Overtime
Excellent Company To Work For
General Manager of Sales (Former Employee), Michigan City, INJune 18, 2013
Pros: culture and values
Central States Mfg encourages personal growth and advancement. You must be motivated and willing to work hard. The culture at CSMI is above and beyond what a positive work environment should be. As a former employee my negative experiences were only related to my direct supervisor but overall a great company.
Miserable place to work
Business Development Manager (Former Employee), Michigan City, INNovember 7, 2012
Pros: not many. benefits are decent.
Cons: bully management, lack of leadership, low morale.
Bully Management. Extreme Micromanagement. 80% plus turnover rates in sales. Senior Management lacks integrity, and . Lack of flexibility in work schedule. Company thrives on witch hunts and black listing employees. Lots of backstabbing, and two faced leaders. Employees that report abuses to HR are promptly let go. Very low morale. Lack of opportunity for advancement. Lack of qualified leaders company wide. Most successful sales reps go to Central States to train for a better position with their competition. The term "employee-owner" with Central States simply means that you take part in the company ESOP; your opinion, ideas, and suggestions do not count. The most enjoyable part of this job was finding another.

December 7, 2012

I am very happy that you found another place to be where you can be happy.

Above average for the possibilities of advancement!
Business Development Manager (Current Employee), Lowell, AROctober 29, 2012
Several locations and positions available to move in to, advancement is inevitable!
Value-driven team with high expectations and high results
Operations (Current Employee), Lowell, AROctober 29, 2012
Pros: customer focused, results oriented, fast paced.
Cons: little structure, not for the faint of heart.
Central States is an intense, customer service focused place. The company lives it values of Integrity, Excellence, Accountability, Quality of Life, Financial Success, like no other company that I have been near.

If you are a customer service oriented, fast moving, results oriented person, this is the place for you. If not, it is best to move along.
Progressive, Customer Focused, Opportunities Never-Ending
Business Development Manager (Current Employee), Lowell, AROctober 29, 2012
Pros: ethical, growth focused, individual opportunities unlimited
Cons: you will be held accountable, a "con" if you are a bandwagoner.
I am a Business Development Manager. AKA...Outside Sales Rep. I spend most of my time working on a list of justifiable reasons to travel to my territory. I travel, on average about every 3rd week, and spend a full week on the road. When on the road, I am either (1) closing a new business relationship, face-to-face, (2) growing business with an existing account (3) reviewing business with an existing account and having the open back-and-forth conversations that uncover opportunities to service them even better. I've learned at Central States Mfg that "drilling down" on a customer to really get a true understanding for what they value is hard work, but that's all, just hard work. We don't win on being the cheapest or on being the company with all the "freebies", or, the all powerful, relationship-is-all-that-matters type of sales tactics. We WIN by selling the company and matching what the customer values, with what we can do. It is a pure focus on the customer, but not a "we will do anything" approach. We are great at what we do and we are very careful about trying to do things outside of OUR norm. Not every prospect is a good match for CSMI, that is part of the BDM job. We don't blindly sell everyone...we are working towards good matches. Management is focused on "driving the boat" and has helped us keep a winning tradition year in/year out since we've been in existence. The legacy of those before us, creates a competitive culture to be excellent...and to find ways to be even better tomorrow, than we are today. This is a very tough environment for folks who want to just "ride the wave". Every employee owns this company. There is no "They" or "Them" or the mysterious leaders in the corner office somewhere that are tweeking our collective fate. It is Us and We...and we keep each other highly accountable to be excellent.

December 1, 2012

No one in any of these forums criticized central States' business model. It's some of the people in senior management who are woefully inept when it comes to people skills and people management. Obviously, you haven't worked there long enough to "See the man behind the curtain". We all know that CSMI has a select few good little soldiers like you who blindly accept what they refer to as "The Company Culture; Quality of Life, etc...", which, on the surface looks all warm & fuzzy, but in reality, is rotten to its' hippocritical core. Read your own words: you have to come up with "a list of justifiable reasons" to travel your territory. Wake up. You're being treated, not as a disciplined, self-reliant, resourceful sales professional, but as a micro-managed order clerk who will not think indpendently and follow orders without question. Leadership by fear and intimidation are the norm rather than the exception, which is continually being demonstrated by the astronomical turnover in sales staff. It's not about what you do right, but rather, what you do wrong, or what THEY perceive as wrong. The atmosphere of tension & extremely low morale is pervasive on a daily basis. Maybe you haven't been there long enough, but before too long, you WILL be in the crosshairs of senior management. If they don't have a reason now, trust me; they'll find one. After they do, I'll be happy to see what the tone of your next posting will be. Good luck - you'll need it.

December 7, 2012

This was not my review, but I have been here 18 years, so I would say I have been here long enough to have an opinion. You can read it on my review that I posted and you will have a good idea where I stand on all the comments posted and the various reviews. What I believe was meant by "justifiable" was to make sure we travel wisely and not just out visiting people and wasting time and money driving around the countryside. It did not mean that we have to "convince" someone that we need to go see customers and prospects. Btw,,,,, I have been to all our locations and have been all around the facilities and have yet to find "the man behind the curtain" you spoke of. Is it Oz?

December 14, 2012

I'm kind of confused. I would like to apply for an outside sales position with Central States, but this review has really thrown me off. Maybe the lady with 18 years with the company can help me understand this better. Based on what has been written by the Outside Sales Rep above, Central States: 1) is not willing to be competitive, pricewise, 2) does not have any desire to impress customers with marketing give away's, 3) does not find that building relationships between customer and outside sales rep is a wise approach, 4) is not willing to do anything, or whatever it takes, for the customer's satisfaction, and 5) rather selective about who Central States will sell. With such a discriminatory customer selection process, don't you leave a LOT of business on the table for your competition? You also state that Management, not sales, "drives the boat". Most Outside Sales Reps enjoy the autonomy of their job. It sounds as though there is not a lot of freedom to succeed, and a lot of roadblocks to overcome simply to do your job. I would have a difficult time approaching a customer with the mindset that I am not willing to assist them with price, marketing, building a business relationship, going above and beyond for them, and top that off with a "selection process" to find the right customer or "fit". I would imagine that your customer base is not hugely loyal. I can see why, as another respondent suggested, the turnover is high. I am trying to keep an open mind, but the original poster's review has me very confused. He or she does not really come across as a seasoned sales pro.

Lot of opportunity
Leadership Job Rotation Program (Current Employee), Lowell, AROctober 23, 2012
Pros: great opportunity for career advancement, employee ownership, great benefits.
Cons: small company growing into a large one. lot of opportunities for improvement across the board.
This employee-owned company has been extremely successful in an industry that has taken some significant hits over the past several years. The reason for this is because of the high level of accountability that the employee-owners have to eachother, their customers, and to the company's mission and values. The company is not perfect, but its a great place to work for those that are looking for an opportunity to help build something.
Miserable Work Environment
Sales (Former Employee), Michigan City, INOctober 3, 2012
Worst place I have ever worked. Bully management. Leadership through fear and intimidation. Over 80% turnover in sales.
Unstable Work Environment
Sales (Former Employee), Mt. Airy, NCJuly 5, 2012
Pros: the feed you monthly to make up for lack of compensation.
Cons: micromangement to the extreme, low pay
The work place was very unstable. One location has been through six salespeople in a two year period which may not sound bad, but there were only six sales positions available at that location. Highest turnover rate I have ever worked in. The management was the most unqualified that I have been involved with, most of which have no formal training/education in upper business management. Very low employee morale throughout. Unreachable sales goals. They also change your sales goals during the year if they think you may surpass them and achieve a higher commision. This reason being the main one that people leave for. I witnessed many unethical practices while being a part of this orginaztion, some of which the state labor department had to resolve. I would highly discourage anyone who would be considering working here in order to build a career.
Cedar Hill Management are idiots
Driver (Former Employee), Cedar Hill, TexasApril 12, 2012
Pros: money is good and they provide good equipment
Cons: management is idiots
The so called trucking manager in Cedar Hill was Area Manager Over Trip Production in Lowell, AR. before they brought him down here to be a Trucking Manager. The dude knows nothing at all about trucking and not even sure he knows how to read a map, so if you can stand for letting someone who could not do your job tell you how to do your job it'll be ok. Long story short management at Cedar Hill are puppets on a string.
Great place with solid reputation.
Current Employee-Owner. Non Management. (Current Employee), SalesNovember 16, 2012
Pros: benefits, esop, culture
Cons: if you don't like to be responsible, the position isn't for you.
Been with this company for 8 years. Great advancement opportunities and leadership team. We do hold ourselves accountable and teams accountable, which may rub some the wrong way. Integrity driven. Did not have a single layoff due to economy and made strategic plans to prevent it. If in doubt about taking a position, call the company. Demand to speak with some of the employee-owners or take a tour. You're welcome anytime.

About Central States Manufacturing, Inc.

Central States Manufacturing, Inc. manufactures and delivers high quality metal building components to post frame, commercial, – Read more

Central States Manufacturing, Inc. Photos