Central States Manufacturing, Inc.

Central States Manufacturing, Inc. Employee Reviews

Ok
Prouction technician (Current Employee) –  Mt. Airy, NCFebruary 21, 2017
Overall the company is a greath place to work. The main down fall of this companu is the same as any other one. Bad management, favoritism, and jealous ate the main problems.
Overall a good place to work
Production Superintendent (Current Employee) –  Jasper, ALJanuary 26, 2017
Nationwide company with a mom and pop feel to local management. Managing Director, General Manager of Operations, and Human Resources all have unique backgrounds and allows for diversity from upper management. Employees for the most part are dedicated to working and getting the job done, with little outside interference. Pay for hourly employees is competitive for the area, and insurance and investment opportunities go beyond what others might offer.

Pros:
Company rewards employees often, good work hours with off time, full time employees guaranteed 40 hours.

Cons:
HR refuses to communicate with supervisors in a timely manner, one shift is treated differently than other two shifts, GM and MD arent involved with off shifts unless something goes wrong. Sales manager overbooks sales often, causing added stress to production.
Pros
Cons
HR refuses to communicate, one shift is treated differently than other two shifts, GM and MD arent involved with off shifts. Sales manager overbooks sales often, causing added stress to production.
N/a
Transportation Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Mount Airy, NCJanuary 12, 2017
I am very thankful for the experience of working at CSMI. I was able to learn a lot while there. Made a lot of new friends while there also.
Who can live on abuse
Sheer Operator (Former Employee) –  Michigan City, INDecember 15, 2016
If ya like getting abused, get a job here,like$9.00 a hr after a yr I got a .30 cent raise.
Wild ride if ya brave
They make millions and show ya while u bring 230 a week home
Pros
Cons
Pay, treatment, lucnch
Discrimination Against women owned businesses.
Distributor (Former Employee) –  MissouriSeptember 15, 2016
We tried to become a distributor for Central States but when they found out our company was owned by two women they started questioning do we know how to measure a roof and figure out how much material is needed. They turned down our request to be a distributor.
Bad business practice to discriminate against women owned businesses.
Terrible place to work. CSMI is wacked
Production, metal shop (Former Employee) –  Hartford, SDMarch 22, 2016
No matter what a person does you can not advance from their basic job. All the people that started the same time I did were gone within a few months then it was my turn. Save all the documentation, notes , or any other backup (CYA) because you can and most likely will be blamed for all their mistakes and fired for it.

Find another job elsewhere. They really try to sell their retirement plan, the Employee Stock Option Plan, that made their truck driver from 30 years ago a millionairelike you just hit the lottery winnings. That's really all they have. It's not really that impressive but they have obviously sold their souls and think we will believe them.. After you buy into it they are still in the process of paying back the family of the companies founder so I don't think it's all that great as they fix it on paper.

They play people against each other by offering some other job that you can just take over because the guys doing the job might be really messed up one way or another (not true).

Most likely any other job will work better. You might also hear about how it all relates to s*xual harassment about once an hour , , haha

Cons , they are, backstabbing cutthroat culture, the ESOP plans seems just too good to be true if you are there 30 years(IF, IF, IF), "you are an owner of the company" and customer service is motivated by greed, sales team not honestly supported, low pay, no accountability in management, very poor local management on most all levels, dishonest, untrustworthy, unreliable team except for some of the newer guys, tools and lunch stolen, machines
  more... breaking down and unreliable, no lockers available and nowhere to put your coat, It is OK to do pain meds here as it is approved. their own metal building at the manufacturing planmt is a good example of very poor quality, lots of ROOF LEAKS  less
Pros
Alright basic benefits but no better than most
Cons
backstabbing cutthroat culture, low pay, no accountability in management, very poor local management on most all levels, their own metal building at the manufacturing plant is a good example of very poor quality.
Great place to work!
Driver/ Flatbed (Former Employee) –  Lowell, AR 72745February 18, 2016
Driver/53' flatbed/Delivering costume cut sheet metal across the 4 state.
More about flatbed operations.
Management was great.
Co-workers were great.
Unloading the metal sheets by ourselves
Meeting new costumers,and pay.
Pros
Boneses given for a good job done.
Great place to work with good benefits.
Territory Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  Hartford, SDJanuary 18, 2016
Great place to work with good benefits and retirement. Esop is great! Good coworkers and people. Hours are long in sales. 730 am to 530 pm everyday and Fridays at 7am. Should stagger shift within sales.
Pros
Esop, benefits, values
Cons
Hours
exellenice i recommanded people to wor their
loader receiving picker and driver (Former Employee) –  Lowell, ARJanuary 18, 2016
Employee are friendly employer is open for suggestion , pay is satisfy and only week days work and weekend off, you get bonus for not late yearly bonus supervisor are open to your need
Pros
every time we do good we have free lunch
Cons
lunch is one hr every two 2hr you get 15 minute break
This is not a good place to work
production (Former Employee) –  Michigan City, INDecember 15, 2015
They talk a good game to get you in the door, but this is a revolving door job from the sales dept all the way down to the production floor. Management treats everyone bad and they use bully tactics. Long hours and the pay is low. Turnover is through the roof, people get tired of getting treated like robots so they quit.

They preach morals and integrity but that is just a front. All they care about is getting product out the door and will break or bend rules to do just that. If you have legit complaints or issues, you are always told "if you don't like it, find a new job", that is how they deal with issues. Worst job and management that I have ever worked for in my life. PEOPLE DONT WASTE YOUR TIME WITH CSMI
Pros
Cons
Long hours, low pay, high turnover, no room for advancement

Want to know more about Central States Manufacturing, Inc.?

Ask a question
Good job
Loading Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Cedar Hill, TXNovember 5, 2015
I like working there. Great benefits. I can't advance like I would like to. The workers on the floor are good to work with.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
not good at advancement
Not what it appears to be
Sales (Former Employee) –  Michigan City, INOctober 12, 2015
Did not end up being the work experience that I thought it was going to be when I was hired in. Company doesn't know what direction it is headed in.
Sheet metal manufacturing
Loading Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Jasper, ALDecember 18, 2014
competitive pay but very unstable hours. Poor management communication skills.
Cons
Short breaks if any
toxic
Business Development Manager (Current Employee) –  Michigan City, INDecember 17, 2014
Be advised. Company sales turnover is over 85% in the first year, largely due to lack of support and unrealistic goals set by mid to senior sales mangement. Totally inept management.
Pros
Esop
Cons
turnover. lack of advancement. bully management. unrealistic sales goals.
Central States Mfg Inc as a great place to work
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Jasper, ALNovember 22, 2014
Central States Mfg Inc is a wonderful company founded on Christian values and ethics. The employees are a family.
Pros
100 % employee owned, ESOP
Cons
Slight communication issues
Totally Inept Plant Managemant
Retail Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Jasper, ALOctober 24, 2014
Co-workers were great, hard working, reliable and fun to be around. Plan on a 60 hour work week with no recognition or support from management, which it totally inept; meaning without skills.

The plant stays in utter chaos. Employee moral is low, turnover is high, and very few are happy being there.

I learned how to be humiliated, embarrassed and talked down to, and walk away. I learned how not to set goals, and be ridiculed when the unrealistic goals were not met. I learned how to continuously apologize the the contractors (customers) because the company didn't give a rip about them and gave me no support in providing superior customer service to them.

The company culture makes it impossible to be successful. Their Value Statement is toilet paper. There is no Integrity, Honesty, or Accountability in management.

The hardest part of the job was knowing I was unable to do my job because management made it impossible.

The best part of the job was the relationships I built with the plant employees and contractors. God Bless Ya'll. You need it!
Pros
Benefite were acceptable
Cons
Inept Management
No Integrity, No Honesty, No Accountability
Retail Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Jasper, ALOctober 16, 2014
I gave an overall rating of 1 because that was the lowest ranking available. The management in this plant is awful. There is no communication between departments or support from management for the retail center. Central States is a manufacturing/distribution company that says they want to be in retail. As an outside sales rep, you will be put in direct competition with CSM distributors. Your territory is restricted as is your advertising. Do noe expect any training, coaching or support from upper management for Metal Central. Prepare for 60 hr work week.

Work/Life Balance got a 2 because there is vacation time and holidays off.

Compensation got a 3 as it is acceptable.

Job security gets a 1 because there is none. They have had 5 managers in 7 years. You will be in direct competition with the manufacturing plant for space and time. You will lose.

Management gets a 1 because that is the lowest rating choice. Management knows nothing about retail; How to do market analysis, segmenting, targeting, positioning, forecasting; nada... nothing... but they do set your goals with no input from you.

Job Culture again got a 1 because that was the lowest rating choice. They promise to treat everyone with integrity, honesty and accountability. They can throw that in the garbage. The culture there is awful.

So, if you want to be humiliated, belittled, talked down to and work 60 hours a week, this may be the ideal job for you. This review is in the context of Metal Central only.

I would like to end with something positive. I forged some great relationships with contractors
  more... in the area and with employees in the plant. God Bless Them.

When you get terminated, you will be asked to give them ideas on improving the operation. I reached out to executive management (Lowell) but obviously they had no interest as they ignored me.
Pros
Benefits ara acceptable
Cons
Inept Management
Friendly but competitive environment
Employee Health & Safety Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Lowell, ARAugust 19, 2014
CSMI is a fantastic company to work for, but adjusting to the culture is crucial, and the company is not for everyone. If you are flexible in your work environment, willing to put the customer (internal and external) first, and willing to relocate, you'll have no problem advancing and excelling in this company. Hands-down the best employer I've ever worked for.
Perfect job....if you're a robot
Business Development (Former Employee) –  ARApril 3, 2014
I left a good job to take this position.
If I'd just read these reviews, I would have never done so.
The "orientation" was a disorganized mess.
Management, if you can call it that, put no single person in charge
of my introduction to the firm.
I felt like I was still going through an interview process the entire first week.
In the end, I was dismissed after 6 days and the reason?
"I was not coachable." aka I was not the robot they wanted.
The best thing they did for me was to let me go.
If I had relocated there and THEN discovered how micromanaging they were, it would have been a worse disaster than it was.
Pros
Base salary was good.
Cons
Disorganized. Unprofessional.
Excellent Company To Work For
General Manager of Sales (Former Employee) –  Michigan City, INJune 18, 2013
Central States Mfg encourages personal growth and advancement. You must be motivated and willing to work hard. The culture at CSMI is above and beyond what a positive work environment should be. As a former employee my negative experiences were only related to my direct supervisor but overall a great company.
Pros
Culture and Values

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Central States Manufacturing, Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8