Central Texas Veterans Health Care System Employee Reviews

Clinic area with professional work force
Austin Outpatient Clinic Social Work department (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXDecember 23, 2016
It's the federal govt. long hours with short compensation.
I had to privilege to work with some amazing nurses and social workers within my time. I learned most from those willing to lead a hand, and the atmosphere showed a desire to teach.
Pros
Major holidays off
Cons
No overtime - no advacement for LVN
Amazing Veteran Friendly Environment
Public Affairs Intern (Current Employee) –  Temple, TXMarch 23, 2016
There was never a dull moment. I had the opportunity to work with a great group of people who were dedicated with helping Veterans and supporting their coworkers.
Pros
Great networking with others who want to see you succeed.
Cons
Some areas would've been more effective with team effort instead of a one man show.
highly satisfactory
Advanced Practice Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Temple, TXNovember 6, 2015
Highly satisfactory work career with large VA Infectious Disease Clinic providing state of art care to HIV, chronic hepatitis C, chronic hepatitis B and other infectious disease disorders.
Pros
excellent resources learning environmment
Cons
travel requirements
Being part of the VA overall goal...taking care of our veterans.
MEDICAL SUPPORT ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Temple, TXJanuary 29, 2015
This was a wonderful job! I assisted various departments in the Domiciliary at the Temple VA with clerical support including but not limited to checking veterans in for their medical appointments, scheduling their future medical appointments, and assisting in the move-in process for new veterans living at the Domiciliary according to their assigned department. I absolutely enjoyed learning from and working with the staff at the VA.
Giving back to our nation's HEROES
Medical Support Assistant (Former Employee) –  Temple, TXNovember 19, 2014
With being a combat Veteran myself, I loved the fact that I was able to help a Veteran in any possible capacity. This included the time when I first started working for the VA and was delivering the meal trays to the Veterans rooms. My last position was as a Medical Support Assistant, but my last delivery working there was when I planted a little "bug" in my oldest son's ear. I talked to him about my job and where I worked. I also told him that there were patients that actually lived at the VA...that was their home. My son asked, do people give them stuff for Christmas? I replied, not everyone. He then went into his room and came out about 30 minutes later with an idea. His thought was to make home made Christmas cards for everyone in the Hospice and Nursing Wards for me to give to them. I did one better than that. After he and his little brother made them, we made a special trip up there with some other friends who helped them with the Christmas cards and they delivered them to the Vets themselves. Just their way of giving back!!
Pros
Job security
Cons
Had to move out of state
No advancement in certain services.
Medical Support Assistant GS (Former Employee) –  Temple, TXApril 28, 2014
I loved working at the VA, but there was too many cliques and micro-management. In the service I worked for, there was no advancement if you wasnt in the clique.
Great place to work along with great benefits
RN Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Temple, TXSeptember 8, 2013
Working with our veteran population has been a wonderful experience. I feel like I can now give back to the people that served out country. They were here when this country needed them and I am glad I can be there for them when they need us.
My experience is very productive and helpful to any company I would work for.
Department Secretary for Voluntary Service (Current Employee) –  Temple, TXJanuary 23, 2013
A typical day at work is answering phone calls, making appointments, depositng cash and formal letters, minutes, and greeting my customers of all cultures ans background. Giving orientation classes for volunteers. I have been a trainer for VA Employees, on customer service. My day is always fast paced and productive to my department. I plan for events, by ordering needed items, and setup and send invites as well. I am the computer ADPAC for the Department that is (when an employee has computer problems. I report them to get fixed). I get totals on fund control points for the department.
Pros
helping people and seeing the appreciation.
Cons
not getting a promotion in this area.
Outstanding benefits with sporadic work enviroment.
Medical Technologist (Former Employee) –  Waco and Temple TexasMay 29, 2012
Generally busy workload ( I worked all sections) but manageable. Co-workers were a mixed bag - some solid friends, others questionable ( My mamma always said if you don't have anything good to say about someone, be quiet).
Management was solid in some sections of the lab and lacking in others.