Central Transport Employee Reviews in United States

Been on call for 3 days in a row been here about 9 months, long enough to know i leaving here aoon enough.
Driver (Current Employee) –  Burlington, NCJune 8, 2016
Poor equipment not steady work... not recommended. Been on call for 3 days now in a row. This don't pay the bills. They are in transition changing operations, about to open a durham terminal but I don't see the accounts. I average less than 30hr a week since the change. I won't be there long.
Work/ family balance
Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INMay 31, 2016
A typical day deals with customer resolution, emails, hitting a list of cold calls in my territory to focus on and build relationships with. Also, customers that I've gotten interested in our carrier service, getting them pricing set up that is competitive and adequate for their business dynamics to utilize our services and help them by offering a cost efficient savings in the process.
Company sold out and no longer in business.
ROAD MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Warren, MIMay 26, 2016
Company sold out to Central Transport and is no longer in business. Getting management to look at new ways to improvement service and time was hard.
easy but boring.
Billing Clerk/Data Entry (Current Employee) –  Warren, MIMay 16, 2016
easy decent money but boring sitting at a desk all day doing repetitive work. management is ridiculous, says things then doesnt follow through.
Tons of advancement opportunities if you work hard!
Analyst (Current Employee) –  Warren, MIMay 16, 2016
I started off as a part time employee in the billing department. After about 14 months my manager (who met with us regularly to discuss our career goals) pulled me aside to tell me about a position within another department that would allow me to get more experience in my field. I had to apply and go through a brief interview process with HR but I ended up getting the job. I moved from the Sterling Heights location to the Warren headquarters and it was awesome. Everyone was very welcoming in my new department and the training was great. They didn't expect me to know everything on day one and they were patient as I worked through the new material. The "GO" as we call it is professional but also very family like. As long as you are doing what you are supposed to it's pretty relaxed.
Pros
Friendly environment, lots of advancement opportunities if you work hard.
Cons
No direct deposit, but that's no big deal because i can deposit my check using my phone.
Merger with Vitran handled poorly
Weights and Inspections Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOMay 13, 2016
Merger with Vitran Express was handled very poorly. Customers and employees alike were poorly informed. Customer service suffered greatly, leading to loss of business. Central's facilities and equipment were poorly maintained and in poor condition.
Over promised and under delivered
Truck Driver - Line Haul (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCMay 13, 2016
This company's hired me, brought me in for 3 days of training, and allowed me to take a road test. Then informed me that their contracted lab or clinic lost my lab specimen/drug test. Therefore, I was not allowed to work for 17 days nor did this company compensate me for lost wages. I had resigned from my previous position based on their offer of employment. The management was very condescending, cold and callous toward me at the fault of their contracted lab and clinic.
Pros
NONE
Cons
Diplomacy is best at this time
Dock Worker Positions are full time work with more pay now
Dock Worker (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIMay 13, 2016
Central has actually made all the dock workers full time and bumped our pay up to $15/hr in Grand Rapids. We can actually make up to $17/hr too. I hear that they did this all over the company and it worked out great for me because now I don't have to work two part time jobs and waste gas driving across town just to make the ends meet. Management is cool, the work keeps you busy, and I finally get benefits for me and my kids. They just hired another mechanic at the shop so our forklifts have been getting fixed pretty quickly now.

Definitely would recommend to a friend.
Pros
Full time job, More Money, Paid every Friday, Benefits
Cons
Cold on the docks in the winter
New Equipment - Great JOb
CDL A Driver (Current Employee) –  Rockford, ILMay 12, 2016
Terminal just got outfitted with new 2017 Peterbilts. Nicest truck I have ever had in the 14 years I have been driving. Come by and take a look, you can't miss the bright yellow trucks driving through town. Anyone looking for a place to call home and enjoy coming to work each day, this is the place. I get home daily, pay is higher than many carriers out there, run my same territory daily, and benefits meet all my needs.
Pros
New equipment, pay, good coworkers, great customers
Cons
No direct deposit
Central Transport has good pay and benefits - love my run
Road Driver (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHMay 12, 2016
I drive each night to a meet point, and just recently got a new 2016 Peterbuilt tractor. I absolutely, love the truck. I usually leave about 7:30 and get back at 6:00 am, back against the dock and go home. Other jobs I've had in the past I never got home for weeks. This gives me ample time to be with my family, and still net a solid 875.00 or more each week. Co-workers are a good bunch and everyone seems pretty happy. The management are firm yet fair, in a hectic fast paced environment, and the shop is very helpful.
Pros
401k, paid days off, great tractor, weekly pay, Xmas club savings
Cons
No direct deposit.
Driver
Line Haul Driver (Former Employee) –  West Valley City, UTMay 12, 2016
Line haul Monday threw Friday. Driving to Chicago and back to Utah. How to drive better. Hardest part of the job was finding team partners.
Pros
pay
Cons
shotty trailers
Its a job
Forklift Operater (Current Employee) –  Hillside, ILMay 7, 2016
Easy work. Will get paid way more than the average forklift driver. OT is after 55 hours. People you work with are the coolest and most helpful people. There is no time for nothing else but work 6 days a week depending on what shift.
Pros
People you work with; pay
Cons
High turnover rate, outside conditions, no direct deposit
Good hourly pay, no benefits at all
Truck Driver P&D (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, CAMay 2, 2016
I worked as a Local city driver, they might change your schedule at
will, there is no respect from managers, supervisors, which is a
culture that comes from the top corporate. They don't pay overtime,
they reduced vacation days to insert the California's law of sick days,
they might put you to work as a dock worker at will, send you to trips paid by miles without previous notice. There is no direct deposit
because the checks come from Michigan. The dispatcher is in Michigan, human resources offices are in Michigan, basically if you have a problem you have to deal by phone to Michigan, if they answer. If you need help on the road, you have to call Michigan and get help whenever they answer. The hardest part of the job is that they might terminate you for any mistake that doesn't even involve an
accident or crime. They might terminate you without verbal, neither written warning. You want to correct the problem, you have to call Michigan.
The most enjoyable part is working as a team with other drivers.
In short words, this company is not good at all to retire. Zero benefits paid by the company.
They have an anti-union culture, so they can do whatever they want to the employees. Don't get hurt or else.
nope
Forklift Operator/Dock Worker (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOApril 24, 2016
If you're reading this then move on to a different job posting this isn't where you should look for A job.The pay is ok the job is terrible.
Pros
Cons
Too many to count
Beware
Sales (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 22, 2016
Where to start, just a very rough company overall. Every customer is unhappy with the service. Service is either LATE or DAMAGED AND LATE, or the shipment is LOST or STOLEN. Then there is the issue of incorrect billing- CT nickels and dimes every penny possible. Customers get upset and don't pay the invoice and then their freight is held hostage. Damages- the absolute highest claim ratio in the industry, if the customer actually walked the dock, they would throw-up. Claims are NEVER PAID, the Claims DEPT hides behind an email, and DENIES EVERY CLAIM! A majority of the employees are stressed and burnt, that's probably why they just gave up and don't care. The absolute worst operations in the industry, but its the ownership and upper management that ruins the company, they just don't care and why bother staying in business- shut it down. The rates are low and that's what customers like, BUT you get what you pay for. Now Upper MGMT thinks they can have ANYONE sell there GREAT SERVICE with the LOWEST RATES- Titan more like TITANIC. Equipment is very bad and major safety concerns, you here stories of new equipment but you never actually see the new equipment. The pay was better in the past, and so was the overall service,
If you have no experience, or about to get fired at your current employer and very desperate for work, give it a shot. If you think that this is a career type of job its not unless you have 6 months left to live.
Pros
You get paid weekly- check usually doesn't bounce.
Cons
Read the review...
Prodcutive and Fast paced work place
Driver (Current Employee) –  Markham, ILApril 17, 2016
Its a great place to work. Love working here. The co-workers are great and friendly. Management is very helpful and solves any problems very quickly.
Pros
Great pay, easy commute, and friendly staff.
Cons
The benefits arent that great. Also the equipment is not up to part.
Nice for part time work.
Dock Worker (Former Employee) –  York, PAApril 6, 2016
I liked working at this company. We all understood it took a team to get the job done. Keep them wheels turning and the day goes by a lot quicker.
Its a paycheck
Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MIApril 4, 2016
Not Micro Managed too much, work with nice people, the freight industry its self is tough to maintain a customer base. No room for advancement if you are in sales.
terrible company
local driver (Former Employee) –  Rockford, ILApril 3, 2016
no reason for any human being to ever want to work there. treat people like cray, dirty, most equipment is worn out or broke, and too cheap to repair it. don't go here!!!
Pros
Cons
everything
Drivers do not haul for them
Driver (Current Employee) –  Louisville, KYApril 1, 2016
I've been with central over a year now, don't know how I managed to stay that long but I did. The management sucks they put unqualified people in key areas, when you try to suggest something to them they get butt hurt and try to write you up for it, they are more worried about what we are wearing than fixing the equipment. I've seen some good drivers quit because of management, lack of communication is the norm at central with all levels of management if someone try's to help you they get chewed out. Dock workers get abused over worked and under paid the linehaul drivers are getting ripped off we have to give them an hour and a half before we can get delay pay and that's every time we call in for it so they expect you to work for free
Pros
Cons
The whole company

2.7