Central Washington University Employee Reviews

Student Office Assistant
Student Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ellensburg, WAApril 1, 2017
There's a lot of weird stuff going on at this place, mainly the Admissions office. Admissions counselors have a high turn-over rate, Admissions staff treat student employees like garbage, and good work is not recognized. I witnessed a lot of questionable behavior from superiors to students (s*@!@* in nature).
I wouldn't recommend working in the Office of Admissions if you have any self respect and don't want to be talked down to by people who are lifetime employees that feel empowered by belittling others. If you take pride in your work and want your fellow coworkers to treat customers with the same level of respect and care like you do, you will be endlessly frustrated here. Unprofessional place to work.
Pros
Flexibility in schedule, parties
Cons
Lacks constructive oversight, no accountability for actions
Great work Environment
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Steilacoom, WAMarch 28, 2017
Great work environment, very inclusive in all aspects of daily operations. Very supportive staff willing to train and help with anything that may be needed to accomplish job.
One of the best employers I have had
Apartment Manager (Current Employee) –  Ellensburg, WAMarch 19, 2017
I have worked for CWU since my Sophomore year of college. I love working for this university because it is obvious that they care about their students and want you to succeed in your job and schooling. The common phrase in Res Life is "you are a student first".
No upward mobility
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Ellensburg, WAMarch 1, 2017
The hours were low but very flexible. Management was good albeit a bit sluggish. There's no upward mobility; the job you apply for will be the job you stay in.
Best place I have ever worked!
Operations Administrator/Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Ellensburg, WAFebruary 27, 2017
My professor, co-workers, students, and everybody I interacted with was great. Hours were very flexible and had plenty of time to complete long projects
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
Can be tedious at times, lots of time spent on the computer.
Fun and diverse workplace
Computer Lab Assistant (Current Employee) –  Lynnwood, WAFebruary 16, 2017
Being a student staff at Central Washington University gives me many opportunities to develop my leadership skills, meet people from diverse backgrounds in the world, and broaden my professional & personal network.
Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Ellensburg, WAFebruary 9, 2017
It was a great environment for students. I worked in te area I was studying and helped me develop my skills. I was able to talk with professors and work to get my skills perfected to work in a larger company.
great Team, miserable executive leadership
Career Counselor Intern (Current Employee) –  Ellensburg, WAFebruary 7, 2017
Career Services team Supervisor is outstanding!
Team members are supportive and helpful.

Deans, Assistant Deans, Provost, and President are exclusionary, closed-minded, arrogant, and do not practice op-en communication.
They are more concerned about their positions and salary than students' needs.
They are managers, not leaders.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
miserable executive leadership
Respectful work environment
Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Ellensburg, WAJanuary 5, 2017
I would show up and clean whatever was assigned to me and my group, our duties included steam cleaning carpets, cleaning toilets, and laying out dormitories for students.
Chem Lab
Instructor of Record (Former Employee) –  Ellensburg, WASeptember 11, 2016
Worked as and instructor of record in a general chemistry laboratory. Taught students the basics of acid/base chemistry and ensured they understood basic math skills.

Want to know more about Central Washington University?

Ask a question
Fun workplace and very nice boss
Program Leader (Former Employee) –  Ellensburg, WASeptember 11, 2016
Love working for the university as I learn a lot. My boss was the best boss I have ever had. She guided me through challenges!!! Cafeteria was so close and I had so much time for lunch
Pros
very flexible hrs, best management, close to cafeteria, fun to work for
Cons
Work on Saturday, twice a month
fun place to work at
Program Assistant (Current Employee) –  Ellensburg, WASeptember 7, 2016
really fun Campus to work at. great gym after work at the SURC if you are into that fit life. no traffic and short commute.

the only downside to working here is that there is no high opportunity for growth, you can only move from department to department pretty much and that is it.
Pros
great people, proximity to everything you need. no trafic
Cons
No growth opportunity at all
Teacher's Aid
Teachers Aid (Former Employee) –  Ellensburg, WASeptember 3, 2016
The professor I worked with was amazing! Her and I kept in touch throughout the quarter and never had any miscommunication at all.

All you have to do is stay organized and be honest when you grade students assignments.

Depending on who you work with will make your job easy or hard. Just remember to stay organized and that you are there to help the students in the class with the professor and make the quarter a little less stressful for the professor as well.

I loved that the students in the classes that I assisted sent me a personal review and told me how I helped and even an area of where to improve at the end.
Pros
Counts as credit to graduate, helping others
Cons
No pay and occasional stress
Great experience
CRM Archaeological Field School Student (Former Employee) –  Ellensburg, WAJuly 8, 2016
Conducted pedestrian survey/cultural resource inventory of the Colockum Wildlife area in central Washington state for the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife.
Dining Services Employee
Barista (Former Employee) –  Ellensburg, WAJune 8, 2016
I worked for this company as a student employee while I was attending college. The best part about the job was they work around your school schedule every new quarter because they know school is the number one priority.
Pros
Great schedule
Cons
Bad Management
Engaging and supportive
Ticket Sales Lead (Current Employee) –  Central Washington UniversityMay 9, 2016
I am a hard worker and have had the pleasure of working with individuals who support my learning styles and work with me to problem solve.
Great Learning Atmosphere
Group Fitness Instructor (Current Employee) –  Ellensburg, WAApril 5, 2016
Working as a group fitness instructor and personal trainer at Central Washington University is such a rewarding experience. The clientele - mainly university students - are very appreciative, and develop almost "cult-like" followings with instructors. This leads to a slightly competitive edge to each instructor, which is good for getting clients to return. It is also a great atmosphere to hone your skills in, and was my first civilian personal training job outside of the military. The management there is second to none, and support you when needed. The staff is wonderful, and are always willing to assist where needed. It is a very synergistic atmosphere, and everyone works well independently, and in groups. Their yearly associate orientation is always so much fun!
Pros
Clientele, ability to learn and grow
Cons
Difficulty with employment paperwork if you are not a student
CWU Food Court Summary
Server (Former Employee) –  Ellensburg, WAMarch 29, 2016
A typical day at this job consisted of me helping to set up our workstation and stocking sandwich ingredients. After that, I would take and fill customer orders until it was time to break down the workstation. One thing that I learned from this job is that when things are about to get busy, you had better be prepared for it. The hardest part of this job was dealing with the lunch rushes, they get very stressful very quickly. The most enjoyable part of this job was probably getting to know fellow students who I might not have met otherwise.
Pros
Short commute, good manager
Cons
Hard to obtain days off
N/a
Lecturer of Geography (Current Employee) –  Ellensburg, WAMarch 20, 2016
Teach GIS and physical geography classes, has discussion, lab exercises and assist students with research. Great working environment with nice people.
Flexible hours with energetic team
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ellensburg, WAFebruary 6, 2016
I worked at CWU for over 3 years, primarily in the chemistry department. There was always people willing to help if you needed it and opportunity for growth in the department.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Central Washington University. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3