Central Washington University

Central Washington University Employer Reviews

Academic Counseling
Academic Counselor (Current Employee), Ellensburg, WAJune 5, 2014
Great university. A typical day is busy. I learned how to become a better educator. Management is great. My co-workers are great. The hardest part of the job was tracking "no'shows". The most enjoyable part is seeing student achieve accomplishments and graduation.
Productive work environment with a relaxed and comforting setting
Office Assistant (Current Employee), Call CenterMay 21, 2014
A typical day at work would consist of organizing paperwork from nighttime staff the previous night, straightening up desks, and inputting information about alumni called. The management displayed was professional. The co-workers are very enjoyable to work with, and everyone got along fairly well. There were no major conflicts. The hardest part of the – more... job was finishing tasks that arose last minute, with deadlines sometimes being daunting. The most enjoyable part of the job, however, was the positive attitude and support from each staff member, paired with the ability to work at your own pace. – less
Isolated and amplified Loci using restriction enzymes and qPCR
research assistant (Former Employee), Genetics LabMay 17, 2014
Over the prior two years I have worked in a genetics laboratory, maintained and tested the inhibitory effects of chemicals on the growth rate of Mcf7 cancer cells, and worked as a Resident Advisor. As a undergraduate researcher I was semi-responsible for funding my work, I began the process by contacting professors in the Biology department who helped – more... me formalize a grant request to the NSF for my work in creating a local Biographic history based on microsatellite STRs and SSRs and accumulated mutations. The species that was sampled was geographically isolated and so - evolutionary effects such as gene flow and genetic drift were did not occur in large percentage of populations. I later wrote a 15 page formal request that including the significance of our work and how it would enhance understanding of evolutionary effects in isolated populations. I the received funding for a year and began working with another student to isolate the attain tissue samples and digest them to amplify at six loci microsatellite regions via qPCR and eventually fully sequence to compare individuals. – less
CWU Wildcats!
Statistician (Former Employee), Ellensburg, WAMay 8, 2014
Amazing part time position as a student athlete! It had the perfect schedule and was accommodating during my away games. Loved this part time position!
Good place to work as a student
Student lead/custodian (Former Employee), Ellensburg, WAApril 8, 2014
Spent my time doing different janitorial tasks during the school year.
They will work around your class schedule and keep your hours below 18 hours.
I learned how to delegate out work to 5 other seasonal employees to get tasks done efficiently and well.
Senior Capstone
Program Developer (Former Employee), Ellensburg, WAMarch 28, 2014
Pros: worked as a team, worked with professionals
Cons: time scheduling between team members
As part of the Senior Capstone, I was required to develop a workable program for the Music department so that they could look at What if situations related to classes offered, number of students, and scheduling.
Quiet lab hours
Lab Technician (Former Employee), Ellensburg, WAFebruary 25, 2014
Lab hours were very constructive and mostly done alone. Hours were flexible.
short term project
Research Assistant (Former Employee), EllensburgFebruary 17, 2014
not a formal employee so I couldnt give a honest assesment of working their
Great work environment
Mentor (Former Employee), Ellensburg, WAJanuary 16, 2014
Quality leadership role dealing with freshmen. Helping them adjust to their first semester of college. Great experience.
Enjoyable fast paced job
Sports Statistician (Former Employee), Ellensburg, WADecember 17, 2013
Pros: watching live football and baseball games
Cons: part-time job
I would take live statistics during baseball and football games. I learned different computer programs and a better understanding for the sports. My manager let me take over his position as the person entering information in the computer during the games. The hardest part of the job was keeping up with the game during fast paced situations. The most – more... enjoyable was being able to do something I love in watching sports. – less
Amazing place to learn
Chemistry Laboratory Teaching Assistant (Former Employee), Ellensburg, WANovember 19, 2013
Central fostered an incredibly open and intimate learning environment, where mentorship, collaboration, and scientific inquiry were always fostered.
Great Experience
Senior for Senior (Former Employee), Ellensburg, WAJune 6, 2013
I received required practical and internship credits for graduation.
Being able to work while in my Master's program was a major part of what made it possible.
Graduate Assistant, Nutrition Department (Current Employee), Ellensburg, WAJune 3, 2013
I have been grateful for the opportunity to work while earning my Master's degree at Central. The Graduate Assistantship gave me the ability to develop teaching skills and engage in leadership activities I wouldn't have otherwise had access to. As a research assistant, I was able to dedicate many hours to the process that later produced my thesis project.
Day as a Student Employee
Cashier (Current Employee), Ellensburg, WaApril 29, 2013
Pros: free lunches and dinners
The environment at Dining Service in CWU is great to work in. The boss is friendly and my co-workers are easy to get along with.
Good Environment
Student Leadership Group Representative (Current Employee), Lynnwood, WAMarch 22, 2013
Sorry for posting my previous post, but I was going to say about the school and environment are so supportive to help and build my skills and increase awareness.
Student Leadership Group Representative
Last Summer, I joined an amazing opportunity to do my first job on campus in CWU-Lynnwood. This was a life-changing experience for me on many levels. I am currently working for Secretary in the group. The experience gave me many valuable opportunities to increase awareness on campus events, environment, and faculty. On a second week of work, I participated – more... Student Leadership Group Retreat with Westside CWU students in Bainbridge Island. At that time, I learned and gained many skills that I have not had before such as public speaking, group work, build confidence, and school awareness. Working on a campus for first time gives me a whole new set of customs. Although my bachelors degree is business administration with supply chain management specialization, I get to know about beneficial opportunities outside the classroom!

My main responsibilities include:
• Fundraising projects
o Collecting money to help the scholarship funding at CWU-Lynnwood
• Leading and creating quarterly events on campus.
• Working directly with supervisors and the group to increase events’ awareness.
• Conducting extensive research to learn about the past events in order to making future events better.
• Writing summary for meeting minutes. – less
Great learning experience
INTRAMURAL SPORTS OFFICE ASSISTANT (Former Employee), Ellensburg, WAMarch 3, 2013
Was a great college job that provided me with experience in working in an office setting and working among students.
Balanced school with work
Degree Checkout (Former Employee), Ellensburg, WAFebruary 6, 2013
• Performed everyday Microsoft Office program functions to maintain records.
• Scanned, copied and faxed files; answered and forwarded emails; created, placed and located student academic files.
• Created a friendly environment for students who are looking to receive help with the graduating process.
• Provided assistance in everyday tasks for superiors.
Student Outreach and Event Promotion
Intern (Former Employee), Lakewood, WAJanuary 10, 2013
Pros: student outreach, event promotion, networking and building rapport with higher education administrative professionals.
Cons: not being able to take breaks. however, i enjoyed my internship so much that it did not matter that much to me.
A typical day as an Intern for Central Washingotn University included student outreach and informing Pierce College students about the university's programs. I learned about the processes and privacy laws that take place in a college environment and enjoyed the college, Higher Education field I participated in. The hardest part of the internship was – more... to advance into a position that could possibly serve as a career, as there were no positions available at that time. – less
I worked in the Government Documents Department at the CWU library
Government Documents Assistant (Former Employee), Ellensburg, WAAugust 30, 2012
Pros: a good place to work and while i was in college
Cons: it was very quiet on the weekends, which could get boring
The library was great place to work in college. I was able to work in Government Documents which allowed me the ability to help attorneys find information, people who were researching maps, and aerial views of an area. The hardest part of the job is when you cannot find the information that a customer needs.