Central Washington University Employee Reviews in United States

CWU Food Court Summary
Server (Former Employee) –  Ellensburg, WAMarch 29, 2016
A typical day at this job consisted of me helping to set up our workstation and stocking sandwich ingredients. After that, I would take and fill customer orders until it was time to break down the workstation. One thing that I learned from this job is that when things are about to get busy, you had better be prepared for it. The hardest part of this job was dealing with the lunch rushes, they get very stressful very quickly. The most enjoyable part of this job was probably getting to know fellow students who I might not have met otherwise.
Pros
Short commute, good manager
Cons
Hard to obtain days off
N/a
Lecturer of Geography (Current Employee) –  Ellensburg, WAMarch 20, 2016
Teach GIS and physical geography classes, has discussion, lab exercises and assist students with research. Great working environment with nice people.
Flexible hours with energetic team
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ellensburg, WAFebruary 6, 2016
I worked at CWU for over 3 years, primarily in the chemistry department. There was always people willing to help if you needed it and opportunity for growth in the department.
Fun place to work at
Program Administrator (Current Employee) –  Ellensburg, WAJanuary 26, 2016
I enjoy working at CWU, it is a fun place to work with a well balance schedule between work and life outside work.
I like the proximity of everything you need in the city.
the only downside is, there are not many opportunities to grow from your position to another level and I am someone who is driven by challenge.if it doesn't challenge me, it doesn't motivate me well enough
Pros
friendly working environment, proximity to everything you need, short commute
Cons
no opportunities to grow
Awesome work study job
Distance Education Operator (Former Employee) –  Moses Lake, WAOctober 23, 2015
Such a great job to have if you go to school. Very flexible schedule and great atmosphere. Not much room to advance and no Health care benefits.
love the job
Conversation Group Leader (Former Employee) –  Ellensburg, WAOctober 11, 2015
I got to spend my day with people my age and are willing to learn modern and western cultures. It is the perfect job for a International studies major.
One word, awesome!
CPR Certification (Former Employee) –  Ellensburg, WASeptember 7, 2015
I adored working for the department as a full-time student. I gained so many necessary skills needed for any employment opportunity. Their training program is intense, but necessary, and the live-in experience as a student leader was amazing!
A custodial job that was ideal for college students looking for simple yet gratifying work.
Facilities Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ellensburg, WAJuly 23, 2015
My job as a custodian may not have been glamorous, but I learned how to work long hours doing physical labor without complaint. I was a student during my years at this job first and foremost, though I never once regretted the decision to send in my application to work for Central Washington University. I have a high level of respect for my superiors who work countless hours behind the scenes making college functions and on-campus living go off without a hitch. I learned that there are those who look down upon the individuals who clean up after them, but that is okay; snobbery only leads to dead ends and unnecessary dissatisfaction. I held my own and took care of issues that others did not want to deal with, and I am happy to have helped my school in this way.
Pros
Hours are scheduled around class times, and I was promoted to work crew lead with a pay-raise.
Cons
Other than pay there were no benefits such as health care, 401K contributions, or paid leave, but this is understandable seeing as how it was a part-time job.
Good place for a student to be introduced to professional work
Map & Survey Technician (Current Employee) –  Ellensburg, WAJuly 7, 2015
We would normally take on tasks provided to us by the full time staff, and assist them when needed. Aside from that, we used our technical skills to provide services inter-departmentally via GPS and surveying hardware and software. The management was very good, allowing for us to make decisions and learn from mistakes. The students made up the general labor force of the temporary job positions, as stated before, to assist the full time staff. The most difficult part of the job was completing longer projects while taking classes, and not being available 100% of the time. The most enjoyable part of the job was having the freedom to focus on class when needed.
Pros
Enjoyable work environment, good student culture
Cons
No full time employment
Rewarding place to work
Chemistry Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ellensburg, WAJune 17, 2015
This is a great place to work. The staff and faculty are friendly and the students are highly motivated. I worked as a Chemistry Teaching Assistant for the University.
Fast paced, exciting work place
Barista (Current Employee) –  Ellensburg, WAApril 23, 2015
This company is nice to be working for. You stay busy during your whole shift but have fun at the same time. I have learned how to keep up in a very busy work environment while staying organized and clean. Management is very helpful when questions are asked and take pride in training their new incoming employees. The co-workers are all great because we are trained the same way and were taught by our supervisors how to be respectful and pleasant to work with. The hardest part of my job is the fact that I can't work more than 19 hours a week. But the most enjoyable part is being able to want to go to work every day and really enjoy what I do.
Pros
Works around school schedule
Cons
19 hour work week maximum
Productive and Fun place to work
Student Accounts- Cashier (Current Employee) –  Ellensburg, WAApril 19, 2015
Customer service in a Higher Education Student Services environment. I am responsible for communicating difficult to understand financial information to a diverse group of clients including students and their families, as well as other departments within the university. I am accountable for answering phone calls and all emails coming into the cashier’s office in a professional and timely manner. I serve as a greeter for all students and clients who come into the office and listen to and assist with any problems or concerns they might have. I maintain student privacy using FERPA law and strive to provide exceptional customer service at all times.
Pros
Breaks, Hour Lunches, Paid Holidays and Vacation, Sick Leave, 401K and Insurance
Cons
Advancment
Dining services where the employees have just as much fun as the students
Dining Services (Former Employee) –  Ellensburg, WAApril 14, 2015
Well rounded group of individuals that understand that the students come first. Great place to work after or before class. Very understanding that school comes first.
Comfortable and Nicely Balanced Work Environment
Administration (Current Employee) –  Ellensburg, WAApril 7, 2015
CWU is a decent school in a sleepy little town. Work life balance is great, but this is not particularly a cutting edge institution. As with most places, some folks work really hard...others don't.
Great job for students
Primary Researcher (Current Employee) –  Ellensburg, WAApril 6, 2015
I thoroughly enjoyed researching at CWU. Professors are always willing to make time for you; my education was very individualized.
Great place to work while attending classes
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Ellensburg, WAApril 4, 2015
allowed me to balance homework and work while in school. teachers provide opportunities to have a successful future. hands-on training, friendly and helpful staff
Great environment with good learning possibilities.
Mathematics Tutor (Former Employee) –  Ellensburg, WAMarch 19, 2015
I tutored individuals in the field of mathematics. I set up my own times to work with the client outside of regular meeting times of twice a week, and negotiated how much I got paid per meeting, which improved my skills in self-management. Co-workers were fun and helpful people who were not bothered if I had a question or two.
Great Productive Experience
Student Liaison (Former Employee) –  YakimaFebruary 5, 2015
I was a front desk worker for Central Washington University- Yakima center. My daily duties were mostly clerical but I was also in charge of fostering awareness of programs and services. My responsibilities were to inform and retain CWU students by participating in outreach activities and events. In my position I would plan, coordinate, and direct activities that would strengthen the relationship between CWU-Yakima and CWU-Ellensburg.
Pros
the work environment.
Cons
nothing
A Good University
Undergraduate Student (Former Employee) –  Ellensburg, WADecember 31, 2014
My experience at CWU was an enjoyable one!
My wife and I both attended and were able to attain Elementary Education degrees with ESL endorsements.
I would recommend the institution to someone.
Great Experience from a temporary position
Public Affairs Video Producer (Former Employee) –  Ellensburg, WASeptember 23, 2014
Would have loved to work full-time and receive benefits and a sense of job security, but I was on a six month contract only allowed to work 20 hours a week. This was the limit to keep me from obtaining any benefits. I loved the job and the work, but was sad to only work little hours and to leave when my contract ended.
Pros
worked with great people and did what i loved in film and editing
Cons
temporary position with no benefits

4.4