Central Washington University

Central Washington University Employee Reviews

Productive and Fun place to work
Student Accounts- Cashier (Current Employee), Ellensburg, WAApril 19, 2015
Pros: Breaks, Hour Lunches, Paid Holidays and Vacation, Sick Leave, 401K and Insurance
Cons: Advancment
Customer service in a Higher Education Student Services environment. I am responsible for communicating difficult to understand financial information to a diverse group of clients including students and their families, as well as other departments within the university. I am accountable for answering phone calls and all emails coming into the cashier’s office in a professional and timely manner. I serve as a greeter for all students and clients who come into the office and listen to and assist with any problems or concerns they might have. I maintain student privacy using FERPA law and strive to provide exceptional customer service at all times.
Dining services where the employees have just as much fun as the students
Dining Services (Former Employee), Ellensburg, WAApril 14, 2015
Well rounded group of individuals that understand that the students come first. Great place to work after or before class. Very understanding that school comes first.
Comfortable and Nicely Balanced Work Environment
Administration (Current Employee), Ellensburg, WAApril 7, 2015
CWU is a decent school in a sleepy little town. Work life balance is great, but this is not particularly a cutting edge institution. As with most places, some folks work really hard...others don't.
Great job for students
Primary Researcher (Current Employee), Ellensburg, WAApril 6, 2015
I thoroughly enjoyed researching at CWU. Professors are always willing to make time for you; my education was very individualized.
Great place to work while attending classes
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee), Ellensburg, WAApril 4, 2015
allowed me to balance homework and work while in school. teachers provide opportunities to have a successful future. hands-on training, friendly and helpful staff
Great environment with good learning possibilities.
Mathematics Tutor (Former Employee), Ellensburg, WAMarch 19, 2015
I tutored individuals in the field of mathematics. I set up my own times to work with the client outside of regular meeting times of twice a week, and negotiated how much I got paid per meeting, which improved my skills in self-management. Co-workers were fun and helpful people who were not bothered if I had a question or two.
Great Productive Experience
Student Liaison (Former Employee), YakimaFebruary 5, 2015
Pros: the work environment.
Cons: nothing
I was a front desk worker for Central Washington University- Yakima center. My daily duties were mostly clerical but I was also in charge of fostering awareness of programs and services. My responsibilities were to inform and retain CWU students by participating in outreach activities and events. In my position I would plan, coordinate, and direct activities that would strengthen the relationship between CWU-Yakima and CWU-Ellensburg.
A Good University
Undergraduate Student (Former Employee), Ellensburg, WADecember 31, 2014
My experience at CWU was an enjoyable one!
My wife and I both attended and were able to attain Elementary Education degrees with ESL endorsements.
I would recommend the institution to someone.
Great Experience from a temporary position
Public Affairs Video Producer (Former Employee), Ellensburg, WASeptember 23, 2014
Pros: worked with great people and did what i loved in film and editing
Cons: temporary position with no benefits
Would have loved to work full-time and receive benefits and a sense of job security, but I was on a six month contract only allowed to work 20 hours a week. This was the limit to keep me from obtaining any benefits. I loved the job and the work, but was sad to only work little hours and to leave when my contract ended.
Working for the OPR Department of Central Washington University
Facilitator (Former Employee), Ellensburg, WASeptember 3, 2014
The specific location I worked at for the school was at the challenge course in the north end of campus. This required great threat management and the ability to quickly adapt to changes. Although the challenge course is an enjoyable experience, it is also extremely dangerous. To keep participants safe, one had to educate safety in an engaging way, and demonstrate the importance of these instructions.
effiecent
Government Relations Intern (Former Employee), Olympia, WAJuly 25, 2014
It was busy. I used the computer a lot. The management was fair. My co workers were nice. I learned a lot. I liked the people. I did not like sitting all day.
Great place to work for
Head Student Assistant (Former Employee), Ellensburg, WAJune 25, 2014
They work with you and was a great work place environment. Loved my boss and the people I worked with.
Academic Counseling
Academic Counselor (Current Employee), Ellensburg, WAJune 5, 2014
Great university. A typical day is busy. I learned how to become a better educator. Management is great. My co-workers are great. The hardest part of the job was tracking "no'shows". The most enjoyable part is seeing student achieve accomplishments and graduation.
Productive work environment with a relaxed and comforting setting
Office Assistant (Current Employee), Call CenterMay 21, 2014
A typical day at work would consist of organizing paperwork from nighttime staff the previous night, straightening up desks, and inputting information about alumni called. The management displayed was professional. The co-workers are very enjoyable to work with, and everyone got along fairly well. There were no major conflicts. The hardest part of the job was finishing tasks that arose last minute, with deadlines sometimes being daunting. The most enjoyable part of the job, however, was the positive attitude and support from each staff member, paired with the ability to work at your own pace.
Isolated and amplified Loci using restriction enzymes and qPCR
research assistant (Former Employee), Genetics LabMay 17, 2014
Over the prior two years I have worked in a genetics laboratory, maintained and tested the inhibitory effects of chemicals on the growth rate of Mcf7 cancer cells, and worked as a Resident Advisor. As a undergraduate researcher I was semi-responsible for funding my work, I began the process by contacting professors in the Biology department who helped me formalize a grant request to the NSF for my work in creating a local Biographic history based on microsatellite STRs and SSRs and accumulated mutations. The species that was sampled was geographically isolated and so - evolutionary effects such as gene flow and genetic drift were did not occur in large percentage of populations. I later wrote a 15 page formal request that including the significance of our work and how it would enhance understanding of evolutionary effects in isolated populations. I the received funding for a year and began working with another student to isolate the attain tissue samples and digest them to amplify at six loci microsatellite regions via qPCR and eventually fully sequence to compare individuals.
CWU Wildcats!
Statistician (Former Employee), Ellensburg, WAMay 8, 2014
Amazing part time position as a student athlete! It had the perfect schedule and was accommodating during my away games. Loved this part time position!
Good place to work as a student
Student lead/custodian (Former Employee), Ellensburg, WAApril 8, 2014
Spent my time doing different janitorial tasks during the school year.
They will work around your class schedule and keep your hours below 18 hours.
I learned how to delegate out work to 5 other seasonal employees to get tasks done efficiently and well.
Senior Capstone
Program Developer (Former Employee), Ellensburg, WAMarch 28, 2014
Pros: worked as a team, worked with professionals
Cons: time scheduling between team members
As part of the Senior Capstone, I was required to develop a workable program for the Music department so that they could look at What if situations related to classes offered, number of students, and scheduling.
Quiet lab hours
Lab Technician (Former Employee), Ellensburg, WAFebruary 25, 2014
Lab hours were very constructive and mostly done alone. Hours were flexible.
short term project
Research Assistant (Former Employee), EllensburgFebruary 17, 2014
not a formal employee so I couldnt give a honest assesment of working their