Centura College Employee Reviews

16 years experience
Network Administrator (Current Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAAugust 25, 2016
I work in the mornings teaching IT subjects like Microsoft Server, Cisco and CompTIA certifications. After lunch time I handle tech support for the school. I believe that my experience in the classroom with students and outside of the classroom with other employees has made me versatile and well-rounded in my IT experience.
Pros
variety of in the day, excellent people
Cons
being pulled in many directions, benefits
Teaching
Medical Assisting Instructor (Former Employee) –  Newport News, VAJuly 20, 2016
I have taught a comprehensive classroom/lab program for medical assistants. Subjects taught include Anatomy and Physiology I & II, Introduction to Pharmacology, Pharmacology giving injections, calculating dosages and administering medications, calculating IV drips and setting up IV bags for administration, Medical math for Healthcare professionals, Medical Assistants Role I, II, and III. Career Development, Lab, Phlebotomy, Vital Signs, Ekg/ECG Labs I have been involved in student counseling and setting up opportunities for students, hold student health fairs, organizing blood drives, and workshops. Working with remedial students and managing classrooms with over 30 students. Holding lectures and lab classes, managing multiple classrooms simultaneously. Working with my colleagues to develop student assistance programs as clothes closets, food pantries and other assistance as needed.
Pros
polite co workers
Cons
split shifts
Productive accelertated learning center
Medical Assistant Student Extern (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAJuly 10, 2016
I had an awesome experience at Centura College. The instructors were well educated and just enough personally inclined to meet my needs as a struggling student that I was. Because of their constant pushing, I graduated on time keeping a $.0 the majority of my time there.
Pros
student gatherings
Cons
short breaks
Fun Place, lots of work during holidays
Bursar (Former Employee) –  Walpole, NHJune 28, 2016
This company was family owned when I worked for them, they had a fun environment but during the holidays I was working in excess of 12 hour days.
Great Company to build professional experience
Campus Director of Compliance and Administration (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCJune 28, 2016
Centura College is a great place to receive training opportunities and expand you ability to manage an organization with limited supervision.
Pros
Great Training Opportunity
Cons
Little room for advancement
Productive institute of education
Medical Assistant/student /AOS (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAMay 27, 2016
Centura College has equipped me with more than I expected to further my career in Healthcare. The instructors always gave their all and more . I would recommend this school to anyone seeking a entry level career or advancement.
Pros
Free Toturing
Cons
Accelerated courses therefor the wordload was tremendous
wonderful
Instructor (Current Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAApril 27, 2016
wonderful! good place to work at. nice people. I enjoy working there. staff is very knowledgeable. students are trained in career of choice
not good
Lead Adjunct Instructor/Admission Representative (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCApril 25, 2016
not a great place to work because the wrong people in the wrong position and they do not care for their employee. management staff is not qualified to be in the positions
Fun and productive workplace
Manager (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAMarch 3, 2016
report to work and take control of the call center floor. review what happened on the previous shift. set my goals for the night and work very hard at accomplishing that goal.
Productive staff and enjoyed employment
Student Externship Coordinator (Current Employee) –  North Charleston, SCFebruary 17, 2016
Enjoyed my time here at the college. I enjoyed the students and staff. I am sad to see it end. I took pride in my work and enjoyed educating the students with the knowledge I have gained during my career.
Pros
coworkers
Cons
closing
Punitive management
Medical Assistant Instructor (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAFebruary 4, 2016
management does not interact with staff. Very cold and impersonal. Rarely speaks to staff and when they do, it's more about write-ups and what we did wrong
Pros
good hours
Cons
impersonal management
Great
Medical Assistant Program Coordinator (Current Employee) –  North Charleston, SCJanuary 19, 2016
A typical work day is spent supervising instructors, teaching and providing support to all areas of the college. Great work environment and job has great satisfaction. The most enjoyable part of the day is changing lives of students through education and mentoring.
Good Company
Corporate Bursar/Financial Aid Representative (Former Employee) –  VADecember 11, 2015
This is a good company. The company trains you for your position. Paid holidays and you earn vacation. Ample parking, lunch hour and a great location
A lot of turnover
admissions (Former Employee) –  Newport News, VANovember 6, 2015
Great place to work in theory...a lot of turnover in key roles which leads to lack of clear vision. It's difficult to get a lot done when the management keeps changing.
Overall good place to work
Admissions Representative (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAOctober 13, 2015
A typical day at work was contacting newly enrolled, current and potential students to make sure that Education is a priority in order to have a great future. I learned that potential students sometimes need a listening ear to help resolve their daily problems. My degree has taught me how to manage a Medical office setting with good customer service to the patient. My co-workers and I worked as a team. The hardest part of my job was to see active students withdraw from school and the most enjoyable part was to see the do well in their classed and to walk across the stage at graduation ceremony.
Pros
Getting students through the enrollment process
Cons
Students withdrawing from school
Ha. Don't waste your time nor career
Director (Former Employee) –  VASeptember 21, 2015
Please stay away. The whole organization is messed up...
They will make anyone a campus director or doa. Regional directors of admissions are a joke....including CM. Stay away. Stay faaaaaar away especially if you care about your career. This name burned my resume and may not ever work in admissions again. Benefits are stupid high. Paid close to $1000 a month for my family an I. Environment sucks. You are treated like a piece of junk even at the director level. Please stay away. Only intelligent one in the company is M.B. And JS.
Pros
Ha
Cons
Not enough space
Instructor
Medical Assistant Instructor (Former Employee) –  Manassas, VASeptember 16, 2015
I enjoyed the work as an part-time instructor. It would have been nice to have at least 35 hours per week. School shut down to lack of enrollment
Pros
Meeting new people training the workforce
Cons
Schools operate based on enrollemnt
great admissions training
admisisons (Current Employee) –  virginia beach, vaSeptember 16, 2015
can learn a lot if it is your 1st time in the field of admissions; environment is stressful; kinda robotic place; just depends who you work directly under
Pros
lunch
benefits
Loved the Job
Massage Therapy Instructor (Former Employee) –  Chesterfield, VAAugust 12, 2015
I worked for this company and everyone seemed very nice. I didn't get to know many people because they don't really move between departments much, but I loved teaching the students and we all got along really well. The very disappointing part is the recruitment wasn't very good at selling the program I worked in. Saying they didn't know how to sell it. So with no students because they didn't know Centura offered the program, it faded out, and I, along with 2 other instructors, lost our jobs. I was hired and in under a year they did away with the program, which makes me think they were planning on it to begin with. This is someones life, how they pay their bills, how they plan for things. Just like any other corporate company, they only care about $$ and nothing about the people. Although I am thankful for the opportunity and experience, the company wasn't anything to be proud of.
Pros
People were nice enough, fun job
Cons
Job security isn't anything they promise
Great Place to work
Compliance and Review Officer (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAAugust 12, 2015
Company is a great place to work they allow you to move up in the company with hard work and dedication. They allow you to be innovative and express new ideas.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Centura College. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8