Century 21 Department Stores Employee Reviews

Able to perform my job despite the different working environment.
Control Room Associate (Former Employee) –  Rego Park, NYAugust 14, 2017
A typical day at work would be to open the control room with the manager. Then assist the manager to take out the tills from the vault and release the same to the cashiers. The next would be to count and rebalance the cash inside the tills used the previous day and also the contents of the vault. Then I would assist the manager to prepare the cash bags to be sent to the head office via the armored car service. Afterwards, I prepared the report to be sent to the Audit Department. The rest of the day would be the giving out of change cash to the cashiers and receiving the cash bags and the tills used and rebalancing them at the end of the day.

Having previously worked in a bank, I was not unfamiliar with the handling of cash at Century 21 Department Store so the job was a easy for me.

As with management, I dealt with store managers who were knowledgeable about their jobs and likewise knew what they expected of me. The working environment was fast paced and the culture totally different from my previous experience. The hardest part of the job was the constant changes in work schedules as I had to change mine with two other staff so at least every week was to be different schedules.

The most enjoyable part of the job was having to develop some procedures that greatly improved our work and having the same allowed by the managers. Also I was really proud when I was selected as employee of the month.
Cons
Short breaks, no vision and dental care. Evening work schedules.
Century 21 department store was a fun place to work.
Cashier (Current Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 14, 2017
Management were very nice people and understanding. Coworkers helped eachother. The store was a fun environment to work in. Human resources really helped me out when I needed it.
Pros
Works together, help eachother out
Cons
A lot of theft.
Great culture and people
Assistant Buyer (Current Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 10, 2017
Century 21 truly values their people. Salary is below industry standard unless you are buyer/planner level or above. Good work life balance and positive work environment.
Experienced
Asset Protection Specialist (Current Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 7, 2017
It is a good learning experience but when it comes to compensating and appreciating it's employees, they don't do too well in that department. Also, they do not promote from within the departments so it discouraged it's employees.
Pros
Great team work
Cons
Pay, no benefits, no promotions
Employee of the month rally
Asset Protection Specialist (Current Employee) –  Paramus, NJAugust 6, 2017
Great place to start off on career base for those who are beginning through retail experience. I learn plenty of information about handling business and costumer service. All managers are great and understanding.
Pros
Rewards/ Gift cards
Cons
Short breaks
Wouldn't recommend
Department Manager - Home Goods (Former Employee) –  Rego Park, NYAugust 3, 2017
I suppose its a good place for a first job, I honestly wouldn't suggest building a career here. It is an unstable work environment and recognition goes under the table.
Not the best place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Plantation, FLAugust 1, 2017
Noo job secuity. Layed off after 6 months. For a new company thats bad. Not allowed to have birthday celebrations. Longs hours daily. Refused to hire new or more workers.
Productive , Positive , and Eventful place to work at.
Shoes Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  New York, NY 10007July 31, 2017
A typical day at work is usually a little hectic. Since I have been working at century Ive learned a couple of differents things. I've learned such thing as organizing Sales floors. I help to put out new merchandise , restock and do inventory. I associate with guest to help make their shopping experience easier. Answer all questions and tries best to get what customer wants.Takes phone calls when needed.Cashier when needed , mainly for Debt and Credit Card. My job is a very diverse place. Most costumers that come to shop in my store are mainly foreigners. The hardest part about my job is working on the floor alone trying to please each and every costumer and maintain to keep the floor clean all at once. The most enjoble part of my job are my co workers and my managers. They are very supportive and can put a smile on your face when your down.
A very fun and fast paced workplace, everyone worked as a team.
Receiving/ Truck Helper (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 28, 2017
With my short time there since it was seasonal holiday work I enjoyed myself with a very good core or team players. The workload could be physical depending on the weather since certain task needs you to work outdoors, but everybody works together to get the job done.
Pros
Great work environment
Cons
Pay could be better for those who work outdoors with the heavy workload.
Never will I !
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Valley Stream, NYJuly 27, 2017
Never will I work for this company again. I'm glad I had got out. Better job and in my career field making twice the money and more hours! You suck century 21 and the people who work there too... filled with drama and favoritism.
Pros
Payday every friday
Cons
Less hours, drama, and the customers are rude

Want to know more about Century 21 Department Stores?

Ask a question
Fun fast pace work and got to meet celebrities
Sales Specialist (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 24, 2017
The days at work where very busy but extremely fun. Situated accross the Wall Trade Center in NYC I had the opportunity to meet a lot of celebrities and at times shop for them high end fashion European clothing.
Pros
personal shopper for celebrities
Cons
short breaks
Fun place to work, extremely diverse
Loss Prevention Guard (Seasonal) (Former Employee) –  Elizabeth, NJJuly 24, 2017
Management was really understanding and willing to work around school schedules so this is a great place to work for students, lunches were extremely short but working at C21 overall was a great experience
Pros
Private bathrooms for employees only, discount was 20%, holiday and overtime pay was great
Cons
Healthcare packages were really expensive, retail hours were crazy during holidays, Loss Prevention has to be the last to leave the store so you get home really late
A good place to start if you plan on doing retail.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, NYJuly 20, 2017
I would say this place is good to meet people from other countries. I only worked here for 5 months and I like it because there is always something to do. I like to be on my feet all the time till its very tireding. the bad thing about this job is the minimum wage. I left this job because a friend was in need of my assistance.
Pros
Can't get bored because there's is so many things to do
Cons
Short lunch hours.
slow paced but productive and fun
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJuly 20, 2017
A typical day at work will be folding clothes doing put back and greeting customers
on a slow day we restock items assist cashiers and finish projects
Its ok workplace
Cashier (Former Employee) –  New York StateJuly 19, 2017
It was an ok job they didn't require much and they didn't bother the employees. very serious about time and attendance, but other than that they were ok to work with.
Avoid working here!
Sales Associate/Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 16, 2017
Management shows FAVORITISM, management does not keep your business personal. Certain managers pick on you. Management is overall unfair to employees. The breaks are a 30 minute and a 15 minute. I have seen people get unjustifiably fired. AVOID THIS PLACE
Cons
Short breaks, favoritism, no confidentiality, too many errors on checks.
Very busy and intense on a regular basis but very productive
Sales associate (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 14, 2017
I like my job because it is a good work environment, I do what I love which is interacting with people on a regular basis, and the more I work the more I increase my interpersonal skills and my abilities to interact with customers and multi-task at the same time. management is good although sometimes we have our disagreements, but no complaints to them however.
Pros
management is hospitable
Cons
not informed of too many benefits
Productive and fast paced work place
Sales Cashier (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJuly 12, 2017
Overall it is a good place to work. If you are looking for somewhere that always has you working, this is the place to work. There are one or two managers that aren't as friendly but besides that, once you do your work you should be good.
Pros
always busy
Cons
always busy
Because of my hardworking behavior, everyone loved me.
Sales Specialist, Women's Shoes (Former Employee) –  Rego Park, NYJuly 5, 2017
I have always been a good worker, and be liked by all people including team-members and customers, job was demanding, though. (The store was understaffed.) I felt my head still there to have open shift while left work in closing shift last night.
Pros
Cafeteria equipped with multi channelled HDTV
Cons
Shortbreak, very limited healthcare
no fun place
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJuly 5, 2017
learn about how to greeting guests
how to use registers ( software)
one of the hardest job with less payment that I have been
the most enjoyable things was receiving reward from wrong merchandises

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Century 21 Department Stores. Our community is ready to answer.

2.7