CenturyLink Employee Reviews in United States

Found 1,232 reviews matching the search
Large company
Internet/Prism Technical Support (Current Employee) –  Omaha, NEMarch 28, 2016
Helping customers throughout the day and being able to fix their issues, knowing that the customer is happy at the end of the day is very satisfying. My co-workers are great and always willing to help when I might have a question about a particular situation.
I have learned so much about the ins and outs of the internet and how to trouble shoot most situations is a great feeling.

I feel the hardest part of the job would be, for me, is not being able to help the customer out and having to send a field technician out to resolve the issue. Then, the customer has to wait a day or two, depending on the time frame. Frustrating when I am unable to fix issues.

I do enjoy knowing that at the end of the day, I have helped so many customers and being able to chat with them, even for a short period of time.
Pros
great insurance, raises every six months
Cons
union, having to bid on schedules every quarter
CLink
Repair Service Attendant (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NENovember 6, 2015
I spent a very short amount of time at Centurylink but in that time I got a good taste of the culture. The management is incredible, everyone works really hard to make sure the agents have everything they need to perform their jobs. Most of the agents were top notch, as with all places there were a handful of agents who weren't, they were easy to ignore however. In the time I spent, there was a cost of living raise that was petitioned for from the bottom up. The union worked hard to make sure we were paid what we deserved. The office itself was kept immaculate, a lovely crew of ladies working every hour to keep all the common areas spotless. The only gripe I had about CLink was the training. You're set in front of a computer to ingest article after article. It's a style of learning that only works for a select few.
Pros
clean office, great management, compensation/benefits
Cons
Training, scheduling conflict, parking
Customer focus dropped after several ownership changes
Technical Support Tech IV (Former Employee) –  Winter Park, FLDecember 1, 2015
When I started with the company it was known as Sprint. The starting salary was competitive and the company reputation from an employee standpoint was good. Sprint spun off the landline/DSL division after a couple of years citing profitability issues. When the company became Embarq there was still an air of focused customer support, resulting in JD Power awards. Finally, the company was acquired by CenturyTel and soon after it appeared that the main company focus was satisfying the shareholders instead of the end customers. Process changes slowly eroded the employees ability to provide the stellar customer service they had been used to providing. Several divisional layoffs followed as the company fought to become and remain profitable. As with many major companies of this size, there appears to be a disconnect between upper and lower levels of management. If you are looking for a job and not so much of a career Centurylink may work for you.
Pros
Steady employment
Cons
diminished benefits package, dwindling end user focus
Good employees, bad management
Data Center Engineer (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 6, 2016
I've been working for Centurylink for over 20 months now, and while the employees are good people, and the starting pay is fair, the management at the current location I am at now is terrible.
I've learned that if you are to be valued at this company, that if you make any mistake, instead of training you to correct the problem, you're blamed and written up for it with no sitdown to help you correct the problem.
Management will double and triple stack items on to you at the same time period with no consideration that you can't be in two places at once, and then when something is missed, you'll be written up for it when the customer complains you missed the time window and be used as a scapegoat to be blamed for later.
While the employees are decent and you have a good support network, management will do whatever it takes to get the work done with little time to manage what needs to be done with an unrealistic timeline, and then blame you for the delays.
Pros
good starting base rate of pay, fair benefits
Cons
poor management with no morals
Entertaining and engaging position with many sales opportunities.
Consumer Billing and Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  3417 N Roan St, Johnson City, TN 37601March 5, 2016
I met or exceeded sales goals across multiple platforms, with our internal products and several contracted products, including DIRECTV and Verizon Wireless. Billing Responsibilities included credit to accounts, review of all billing statements and general billing clarification for customers. Some collections depending upon account status, collection of deposits for products and services, as well as account review to determine best possible pricing for each customer. Management was above average and were directly motivated to help employees achieve. Most of the average work day was spent receiving inbound billing and sales communication via instant message and making collection calls for sales. The culture amongst employees left much to be desired; Most employees had no motivation or desire to advance or learn more than the absolute basics.
Call center work with limiited advancement opportunities
Small Business Internal Resource Center Coach (Former Employee) –  Apopka, FLOctober 20, 2015
Company never utilized the talent that was available on staff. You were expected to just put you head down and work. This company is great for employees who do not mind being seen and not heard. Upper Management was great at giving directives and assigning tasks. Any opinions and observations from Mid-Management was not welcomed by Upper Management. Only the most Senior Managers and those in the Boardroom had a voice. Round table discussions often never yielded anything substantial because, employees were not allowed to give any real input.
Pros
Above average company overall! Fast paced environment, competitive pay and benefits
Cons
Job Security. Upper Management unwelcomed input from Middle Management or rank and file employees.
Potential Without Vision Is Potential
Analyst/Consultant (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTFebruary 10, 2016
Centurylink is one of those old Ma Bell companies that has a lot of potential. But potential is all that seems to be it.

You can't retain good employees with. "Point System" attendance policy. People can be fired for getting sick? Hardly a place to stay long term.

My trainer stated that he's bolting and "good luck." While I wish him well the message to us was "eat my dust!!"

The company leases out their parking garage who in turn gouges employees to park there. What employer is worth working for if you can't park during work for free?

More to come, but so far this company is a steppingstone to another promised land.
Pros
Benefits: health, PTO, nice people
Cons
Pay to park at work, smug bosses, training is subpar.
One of the top Landline Carriers in the US
Senior Lead Enterprise Acquisitions (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVFebruary 7, 2016
They have a very strong portfolio of products however their management and culture are weak. Too many internal/inter-department issues, lack of communication & same sense of urgency that those in Sales have (customers as well) causing for an unhealthy environment.

Prism TV -- amount of available channels lack. Available coverage of where you can get Prism lacks making it difficult to compete with Cable or Satellite companies.

DSL -- still slow compared to cable and next gen Fiber Optic services not available in most parts of the country...
Pros
Solid product line
Cons
Too many internal issues, Mgt still has 100-year old mentality.
Company has downsized dramatically
Security Administrator (Former Employee) –  Denver, COFebruary 4, 2016
I split my day working from remedy tickets building and updating applications credentials for about 100 different applications and the other half maintaining mainframe security using RACF. As the company started laying off more and more people, management has been directing less and less security oriented and more towards 'quick and dirty'. Many experienced employees were let go and their job functions and experience have left with no documentation. The main job requirement has been to maintain a proper paper trail to cover yourself.
Pros
An annual Bonus
Cons
Most benefits have lessened or been deleted over the last few years
Challenging environment great earning potentials
Senior Enterprise Relationship Manager (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJanuary 18, 2016
- Typical day: Hi stress, Challenging, Long hours
- Learned: exceptional time Management
- Had great experience with management and poor.
- Co-workers: Large company viewpoints
- Hardest part: Company culture, Product delivery
- Challenged every day, always something new, commission checks
Pros
Earning Potential
Cons
If you like a poorly operated company, this is where to work.
CSR - Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTFebruary 22, 2016
The typical day at work was repetitive. I learned how to better deal with irate people. The management was circular. No one here can take responsibility for any type of issue. The co-worker were cool, but never stuck around for long. The hardest part of this job is getting issues resolved without having to go through hoops. The most enjoyable part of this job is when I am actually able to get a customers issue resolved.
Pros
Good Benefits
Cons
The companies operations
5 star excellence
Lead IT Security Engineer (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXApril 4, 2016
company culture is pride on transparency and customer satisfaction. Work life balance is above average. This is great company to work and grow your career in every way possible.
Very Good Place to work.
Java/J2EE Developer (Former Employee) –  BanagaloreFebruary 10, 2016
This was really good place to work, work life balance was good, management was focused the only issue is it work on few technology and there is less chance of learning new technologies.
Pros
Work-life balace, good compensation and management.
Cons
Works on few technologies.
Great Job until they closed location
Retail Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  retail storeDecember 1, 2015
I would have like to stay with the company long term, but they closed the location I worked at. They had to do what they called a head count reduction to meet qt goals. That meant terminating over a 1000 jobs nationwide. I tried getting another job with the company because openings became available, but didn't have any luck. It was not because I didn't do good for the company because I would exceed my goals every month by at least 70-80% every month. I liked everything else about the company and I wish could have had more of a future with them. Pay was better than average especially when you made or exceeded goals and benefits were very good as well.
Pros
Good pay, Benefits, People, and Management
Cons
Job is never secure
Great Company
Customer Service Specialist (Current Employee) –  Omaha, NEFebruary 21, 2016
I really enjoy working at CenturyLink. The co-workers and management are really great. I learn more and more each day. The most enjoyable part is the people that I work with. The hardest part is the hours. I work 11:30am to 8:00pm and on Saturdays with those hours. I have two small children and being a single mother it is starting to take a toll on us as a family.
Pros
Benefits and management
Cons
Hours
Centurylink company
FL BUSINESS REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee) –  FloridaDecember 18, 2015
upper management makes poor business decisions that affect the customers and employees.
company has down sized or out sourced to other companies to the point that all the employees who knew the systems, processes and telecommunications industry are gone. it is hard to find anyone who can assist solving issues for customers.

NO JOB Security- lay offs thru out each region and department.

Co-works and 1st.2nd level management are usually great to work with, upper management not so much, they do not listen
Pros
co-workers
Cons
upper management
Excellent company to work for.
Senior Quality Assurance Analyst (Former Employee) –  Monroe, LAMarch 2, 2016
Over the past 13 years current and former employee, I must admit I love CTL and enjoyed going to work. The company has top notch benefits, family oriented culture.
Competitive Salary
Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Millersburg Oh, Wooster OH, and Las Vegas NVDecember 14, 2015
Not a fun workplace at all, management has no real vision. Competitive salary, and benefits, but healthcare and movement within the company leaves a lot to be desired.
Pros
Salary
Cons
healthcare, working conditions, and management
new challenges everyday
Network Technician (Former Employee) –  Raton, NMMarch 22, 2016
environment challenging and rewarding most days, no real direction from management, lack of enthusiasm from co workers, not kept in the loop on upcoming projects
Pros
paid vacation, holidays
Cons
lack of training, management direction, competitive wages
CenturyLink is a good place to work with very talented teams. This company is growing very fast.
IPTV Operations/Analyst (Current Employee) –  Columbia, MOMarch 3, 2016
Typical day starts early morning creating a daily report that includes weekends, this report contains a substernal amount of data, graphs, charts and metrics on the IPTV platform. This data is collected from many reports created and scripted by myself and also used by engineers and the leader ship team. In addition, Weekly, Monthly and leadership decks are provided by me. Trending, daily performance, outage and monitoring tools are created and maintained. All of the reports are emailed and posted to an executive dashboard that was created and maintained by me.

I prepare and deliver ad-hoc reports from many sources throughout day. When not working with these task I act as a project manager for multiple new reporting projects “average 6 to 7” at a time. Work with Tier I, II, III and IV to create new and update existing tools.

My Management trust me to accomplish my assignments practical with no interaction unless to fulfill my needs that requires management assistance. Outside of that, just HR related.

Hardest part of the job is the long hours and the most enjoyable is the feeling of getting the job done and recognition from my leadership and peers.

During my term with CenturyLink I have had no dissatisfied comments and produced “meet and exceed” performance every year.