CenturyLink Employee Reviews in United States

Found 1,282 reviews matching the search
Not a good to place to work anymore
Technical Program Manager (Former Employee) –  SeattleAugust 10, 2015
Joined CTL(Formerly Qwest) 7 yrs back as a Consultant.Qwest got taken over by Centurylink in 2011.Became Full-time employee in 2012.
The company was good to work before 2012 .Since 2012, it gone from good to being bad to worst place to work.
The Leadership has no vision and try to follow /copy the industry leaders regarding implementing technologies . The Leadership is thoroughly confused not being able to have a vision and a road-map. Would not recommend this place to anyone!!
Pros
Flexible Timings
Cons
Salary, no Job satisfaction, No Stability .Leadership lacking vision
Network Savvy, Professional Environment
Network Manager (Current Employee) –  Littleton, COMay 9, 2016
Always an opportunity to learn in this position or anywhere at CenturyLink. The people that work here are passionate about their role and providing great customer service. The hardest part of the job is having to be on call as a manager 24x7 although I'm not called out very much, the team I manage is very resourceful.

A typical day in the network organization is trying to get through the many email while watching the network events and sending timely notifications to a wide internal audience and special notifications for the larger events to the CEO level.

Overall a great place to work.
Pros
Work around your own schedule, work remotely, great leadership
Cons
Constant expense reduction over the years, on call 24x7
Great benefits and pay
Network Technician (Current Employee) –  Colorado Springs, COApril 24, 2016
A typical day at work consists of installing and repairing Prism tv. I leave the garage with a full load consisting of about 15+ hours of work to do in an 8 hour day. The days are busy but times flies. Which is not always a good thing. The hardest part of the job is trying to complete a quality install/ repair while staying on schedule to complete the 15+ hours of work in 8 hours. However, its not all bad. I enjoy working on my own and being able to take my lunch and breaks whenever I feel. My co-workers are very helpful. I can always count on someone to answer their phone when I am in need of help or advice. Management is tough. Management does not really understand that it is difficult to balance quality and quantity with the amount of work that the techs leave the garage with.
Pros
Great pay and benefits
Cons
Overloaded with work on a daily basis
great place to work if you can handle call centers
CSR (Former Employee) –  Sioux Falls, SDSeptember 24, 2015
nice call center, well trained, take care of employees, good pay & benefits, great bonuses, if you need anything to make your job more comfortable you would have it, nice new computers, everything was set up to you, excellent trainers to assist you, great and friendly managers..
Pros
customers, co workers, discounts, bonuses, union
Cons
call center, mirco managed somewhat, feels like no freedom
Overall great place to work.
Wholesale Operations NASC Technical Analyst II (Former Employee) –  Decatur, INSeptember 8, 2015
I worked for (Sprint/Embarq/Centurylink) since 1999, minus the 2 years I went back to school. I basically grew up and went through all my life events with this company. I learned a lot of job skills and made great friends. I'd still be there today if my family hadn't relocated for my husband's career.
Pros
Benefits and pay
Cons
Late shifts
Average company.
Sales (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNApril 28, 2016
A communications company that doesn't know how to communicate. Very little opportunities for advancement within the company and management does not make any effort to develop its employees. Employees are often left in the dark about major company changes and announcements...i.e. when century link launched gig internet in the metro, many sales managers and representatives received calls from residents in the metro attempting to verify information that they had read about in the morning paper. Unfortunately, the retail sales staff had not been informed of the product launch and were unable to answer customers questions. Job duties and expectations often change w/o prior notification. Benefits are average. On the plus side, you can meet some dynamic and inspiring individuals at CenturyLink. No two days are the same.
Pros
There is variety in the work day.
Cons
Employee valuation by management is extremely low.
A good company to work for if you need a flexible schedule
Technical Support Agent (Former Employee) –  Apopka, FLJune 13, 2016
A typical day at work would be assisting customers with any technical issues that they have with their television and internet services. I've learned patience and I've learned how to find several routes to handle an issue if one troubleshooting step doesn't work for the customer. The hardest part of the job is that you're constantly seated for hours. I like to be active and up and moving. The most enjoyable part of the job is that I had great coworkers and I really enjoyed when I was able to leave customers satisfied with our services.
This job was about service, learning, developing skills, working as a team, creativity success and making the work and each day better.
IT SYSTEMS ADMINISTRATOR II / IT OPERATIONS CENTER (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTApril 11, 2016
A typical day was full of variety, challenges, great teamwork. Learning new things was a given. Opportunity for growth was a constant and flexibility to determine one's own development was a wide open door. The best part of my employment were co-workers who exhibited great work ethic, knowledge and team effort. Another great aspect was the creativity offered as we were tasked to find root cause issues, the answers, develop methods, test them - then get on to the next challenge. The most enjoyable part(s) of the job are too long to list. The hardest part of the job was leaving.
Pros
Great opportunities for job advancement, skills development, paid schooling, dedicated co-workers.
Loved my job and the people I worked with.
Supervisor Administration (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, IAOctober 16, 2015
Managed the day to day operations of the call center. Our Area Manager and Director were great people. The environment was like we were family. The hours weren't always the best fit for attending family functions.
Pros
Clean environment, great benefits
Cons
Hours
CenturyLink is a good place to work with very talented teams. This company is growing very fast.
IPTV Operations/Analyst (Current Employee) –  Columbia, MOMarch 3, 2016
Typical day starts early morning creating a daily report that includes weekends, this report contains a substernal amount of data, graphs, charts and metrics on the IPTV platform. This data is collected from many reports created and scripted by myself and also used by engineers and the leader ship team. In addition, Weekly, Monthly and leadership decks are provided by me. Trending, daily performance, outage and monitoring tools are created and maintained. All of the reports are emailed and posted to an executive dashboard that was created and maintained by me.

I prepare and deliver ad-hoc reports from many sources throughout day. When not working with these task I act as a project manager for multiple new reporting projects “average 6 to 7” at a time. Work with Tier I, II, III and IV to create new and update existing tools.

My Management trust me to accomplish my assignments practical with no interaction unless to fulfill my needs that requires management assistance. Outside of that, just HR related.

Hardest part of the job is the long hours and the most enjoyable is the feeling of getting the job done and recognition from my leadership and peers.

During my term with CenturyLink I have had no dissatisfied comments and produced “meet and exceed” performance every year.
Not a great place to advance your career. A dead end for sure
Application Developer (Former Employee) –  Overland Park, KSSeptember 14, 2015
This company doesn't pay well, doesn't give cost of living pay raises, and does not provide much opportunity for career advancement or continuing learning opportunities.
Pros
Its a steady job
Cons
They are always continually reorganizing and laying folks off
productive, busy, budget
Area Plant Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMMay 27, 2015
CenturyLink required learning how to be responsible for various facets of a business while still being challenged with the challenges of being a traditional phone company. A typical work day included balancing loads for the technicians for increased productivity to approving payroll, inventory of tools and stock, coordinating rehabilitation of outside plant, customer relations, and meeting service metrics. Upper management challenged each supervisor to manage their own shops with decreased personnel and decreased budget for the third consecutive year.

What I learned is the demands of the share holders and the need to meet those demands regardless of the obstacle (s).

The most enjoyable part of the job was people interaction, leading personnel and satisfying customers
Pros
Compensation, leadership opportunity
Cons
Legacy CenturyLink was not a Bell system
Great place to learn
Sales & Customer Service (Current Employee) –  San Marcos, TXApril 28, 2016
I really enjoy working at Centurylink. My supervisor is one of the best managers I have ever experienced. He also makes the whole team feel welcome excited cared about. Great place to make money on commission and if you take notes and actually work on the training they give you will be GREAT! The hardest part of the job is understanding people and how the work and accepting it. Most of the people that call in ask the same extremely simple questions and it can get tiring. Overall I definitely love Centurylink
Pros
breaks, food, Paid Time Off, health care
Cons
customers, deacrease in pay to reps caused by decrease in retained earnings
Definitely a different place to work
Retention Specialist (Current Employee) –  Falls, IDApril 12, 2016
Well, at CenturyLink, you really never know what kind of a day you're going to have. It seems to be you either have a decent day or a not so great day. Sometimes your day consists of disconnects and some days you have an ok day of basically just adding discounts or putting customers in new promotions for their services. I have to be honest, it is a bit stressful. You get some very disturbing calls, I think I have been called every name in the book by strangers! All the while, you are under a time constraint, you have to also sale a certain amount of each products each month as well, So, I most definitely learned a lot from this job and in turn, have learned a lot about myself. I am a lot stronger of a person than I thought I was and I have learned I can take more than I ever thought I could. My coworkers are amazing. We are kind of all we have around there to get through the day!
Pros
They do a lot of incentives for sales and retention rates
Cons
stress
Physical Security team is a cohesive and great team to work with.
Corporate Security Systems Health (Current Employee) –  Littleton, COMarch 11, 2016
If you work hard, do you part, and respect the other team members, you can do well on this team. I can't speak for much of the rest of the company but the Corporate Physical Security company does well in retrospect. If you contribute the best you can, they will take care of you in the end. Even if it takes years to do so.
Pros
Great team and leadership
Cons
Budgets can prevent a lot
Keeps you Busy
Customer Service Agent (Current Employee) –  Mansfield, OHMarch 24, 2016
Typical day at work: Multi Tasking, taking phone calls, working emails, chatting on the online portal.

Learned: You can do more than you think. Stay positive.

Management: Could be better.

Co-workers: Great people to work with.

Hardest Part of the Job: Staying Positive, when you have people yelling at you. Or being told your productivity isnt great when you can prove how much work you do.

Enjoyable: When you know you helped a customer.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Communication Skills arent great from Management
Not That Great
Consumer Sales/ Customer Support (Former Employee) –  Midvale, UTJanuary 18, 2016
The training is horrible, the veterans are stuck up and the management is absurdly unknowlegeable .The coaches aren't helpful except for 2 of them. Adherence is insanely strict and more times than not unreasonable. The commission isn't all that great either. Hours were good aside from the mandatory overtime. Unionized.. trying to grow so there were a solid amount of weekly incentives.
Pros
hours
Cons
management, training, commission
solid company with solid values
Account Executive (Current Employee) –  FloridaNovember 5, 2015
Very good company. I work in the cloud area and their product strategy leaves a bit to be desired. Great benefits.

Typical day is team oriented
Awesome people to work with
Global Enterprise Account Manager (Former Employee) –  TriCities, TNSeptember 8, 2015
Centurylink provided me a career in the telecommunications industry for 42 years... good company, Centurylink has great benefits, they provided me an educational assistance program, 401K program and a solid career path for growth.
Centurylink company
FL BUSINESS REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee) –  FloridaDecember 18, 2015
upper management makes poor business decisions that affect the customers and employees.
company has down sized or out sourced to other companies to the point that all the employees who knew the systems, processes and telecommunications industry are gone. it is hard to find anyone who can assist solving issues for customers.

NO JOB Security- lay offs thru out each region and department.

Co-works and 1st.2nd level management are usually great to work with, upper management not so much, they do not listen
Pros
co-workers
Cons
upper management