CenturyLink

CenturyLink Employee Reviews

good place to work, no stress, but company is struggling to integrate from merging
IT Lead Technical Project Manager, IT (Former Employee) –  Monroe, LASeptember 29, 2015
good place to work if you want relax environment, flexible work hours. In fact lots of people work from home. However, no challenges at work.
Company is struggling integrating many entities from merging (CenturyTel, Quest, Embard, CTS, CLC, DataGarden, etc...)
Overall rating: 3/5
Easy, fun, stress free
Internet Repair Attendant (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTSeptember 28, 2015
Working on the phones doing tech support is always a puzzle. Each call I was approached with a customer's problem, and it was up to me to get their internet back online.
I built thick skin by dealing with the occasional irate customer, but management was always willing to help with those cases.
It was also nice being in a union! Did not expect that from a call center.
Overall, the job was easy, and made even easier by consistent training from management.
Pros
Easy, Fair pay, Good training
Cons
Working hours can be rough.
n/a
WAH Customer Care (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVSeptember 28, 2015
I was able to utilize my skills and at the same time learn and strengthen new skills. I enjoyed working with my colleagues and supervisor, this job helped me to pick up new lessons and sharpen my existing skills.
Executive Leadership
Inventory Control Coordinator II (Current Employee) –  MOSeptember 24, 2015
CEO and other senior leadership in my opinion are making, and continue to make poor decisions as to the direction and identity of this company. 1000 employees being laid off in 3rd quarter, and potentially more layoffs going forward. Hiring freeze. Scrambling to meet yearly financial goals. I predict no raises early next year, etc, etc...Typical corporate mumbo=jumbo.
Pros
Technology
Cons
CEO & Executive leadership making poor decisions
Love this place
Customer Service (ACT)-Offline Support (Current Employee) –  Monroe, LASeptember 24, 2015
Customer service, offline call center, research account credit class, reconcile, tactful, provide excellent phone etiquette, hold meetings, and data entry
good place to work
Consumer Repair Technical Support (Current Employee) –  Arverne, NYSeptember 22, 2015
They have a large amounts of benefits from car purchase discounts to fitness reimbursements. They give plenty of opportunity to advance.
Pros
Work at home
Cons
system issues cause you to loose money
Great, until budget cut
Video Editor (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOSeptember 22, 2015
The people seem nice and easy going. The atmosphere was pleasant. The pay was decent. There was even talk of advancement and great promise about the future. Then the budget was cut, and without warning it all ended. None of the three people above me came down to tell me. Instead, they relied on the contractor to tell me.
Pros
Very flexible time.
Cons
They make promises they don't keep, and will drop you even after promising otherwise if it will improve their budget.
Good company with good benefits
Sr Analyst - Consumer & Small Business (Former Employee) –  Monroe, LASeptember 22, 2015
The company has gotten so big and there is constant change among management and reorganizing departments. I was impacted by the reduction in force after almost 28 years of service. I don't miss the work but I do miss the people. There is not much of an opportunity to advance unless you have a 4-year degree.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
company is too big
Very positive and genuine environment - Great staff, fun atmosphere
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  La Crosse WISeptember 17, 2015
Very enjoyable place to work, staff was great. Leadership staff was always very approachable and positive. Pace is fast, but always exciting. I always felt appreciated for the work I performed. If you are looking for a great place to work, I would recommend CenturyLink!
Management was the best
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Athens, TXSeptember 17, 2015
Being a Supervisor at the phone company was the most rewarding job I've ever had. Management was the best: flexible and a very good people person. It was a fun place to work as well. We helped our community with our Great Place To Work team.

Want to know more about CenturyLink?

Ask a question
Not an ideal workplace
Manager (Current Employee) –  Denver, COSeptember 16, 2015
CenturyLink is not a company of the 21st century. The company is not willing to invent where it is necessary in order to compete and win in the marketplace. Compensation is low and work hours are long due to reduced staff.
Pros
Ability to work from home; flexible work hours
Cons
Lack of adequate compensation despite proven results, hostile work environment; poor opportunities for advancement
Decent place to work with great pay and benefits.
System Support Analyst (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NESeptember 16, 2015
Great pay and benefits. Co-workers are great and all pretty much get along. Most enjoyable part of my previous job was having the freedom to multitask with no set schedules.
If you just want to collect a paycheck...
Analyst (Former Employee) –  Denver, COSeptember 16, 2015
This company rewards and keeps employees who are incompetent, lazy, and who say yes to everything--even at the cost of wasting company resources and the going against the guiding principles. The employees that really try to make a difference, create new processes and really know what they are doing (or strive to learn new products, processes, technologies) are the first to go. Right now the company is having significant financial difficulty and going through a huge reduction in workforce.
Great place to work if you're good at sales
Retention Specialist (Former Employee) –  Tarboro, NCSeptember 16, 2015
A typical day at CenturyLink is answering multi-line telephone system, assisting customers with billing questions. The hardest part about the job is not being able to make every customer happy no matter how hard you try. The most enjoyable part of the job is knowing that you make a difference in somebody's life.
Very mismanaged
Dispatch Specialist (Former Employee) –  wake forestSeptember 16, 2015
Some employees working, some walking around and talking- a few seem to pick up the slack of many. Bullying is very common- issues not addressed by management
Pros
good benefits
Cons
low pay, hostile work environment, management won't address issues
They need to decide what they want to do
New Business Sales Executive (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZSeptember 15, 2015
Part of a large group they hired for new sales acquisition. After training there was no support. There was never a local manager in place. The manager was in another city. In the short time the sales acquisition position existed, they had gone through 3 managers. The second manager didn't even know how to use the system, and admitted if you had a question don't ask him because he doesn't know how to use it. This manager was arrogant, had no integrity, and very disrespectful. After on of our weekly staff meetings an employee kindly mentioned he didn't appreciate the way the manager spoke to him in meetings. The managers response was "so what are you going to do? Quit? So the employee in turn, cleaned out his desk and left. Within 3 months all but 2 sales reps were left in our office; leaving myself and another. I worked there for 7 months total, and felt it was the most unorganized company, and could no longer bear the verbal abuse from the manager. 3 months after I resigned the last Acquisition Rep was laid off, with the other 1000 employees.

Needless to say the position they hired for was for 10 months. This was a trial and error position, that apparently is something CenturyLink is known for.
Pros
Pay
Cons
To many to list
Not a great place to advance your career. A dead end for sure
Application Developer (Former Employee) –  Overland Park, KSSeptember 14, 2015
This company doesn't pay well, doesn't give cost of living pay raises, and does not provide much opportunity for career advancement or continuing learning opportunities.
Pros
Its a steady job
Cons
They are always continually reorganizing and laying folks off
GREAT!
Costumer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MOSeptember 14, 2015
This would have to be the best job i have ever had its a great place to work very positive, fun and friendly and open. Coworkers where always there to help when you needed them wather it was work related or life
This is a union position that is low paying with job stability and benefits.
Consumer Sales & Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Boise IdSeptember 12, 2015
My primary responsibility is to solve customer problems and offer products delivered by Centurylink and its partners. I enjoy the team environment and the people I work with. The most challenging aspect of working here is the schedule 10am to 7pm and it pays 1/5th of what I am accustomed to earning.
Pros
Union stability and benefits.
Cons
Very strict work schedule without much flexibility and low paying.
Good working environment, very good management
Retail Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Eustis, FLSeptember 12, 2015
Work can be somewhat repetitive but its an very good environment. Immediate management is attentive to your needs to help make you meet and exceed your quota. They care, which makes a huge difference.