Cerner Corporation Employee Reviews in United States

Lots of work
Analyst (Former Employee) –  WHQJuly 4, 2016
Tedious, monotonous makework. Expectations of you giving up what little time you have left over to work overtime. Lots of minor events or perks that feel like they're implying you will be living most of your life there. If you're okay with that you can move upwards. Otherwise, stay for a year and leave or better yet, don't go at all.
Pros
Some room for growth
Cons
Terrible work life balance, mediocre pay
Cerner- a good beginning job.
Implementation Consultant (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOMay 20, 2016
Cerner is a company that is good for new graduates.

If you are able to communicate well and put in extra effort to socialize you will do well there.
Primary issues are work/life balance, expectations set by management, and occasionally little support in providing services to clients.

If you can work independently, survive hardship, and are willing to stick out an occasional difficult client you can succeed and advance through the company.
Stay away from Cerner Security!
Security Specialist (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, KSJune 3, 2016
Working for Cerner was pretty good but working for Cerner Security was horrible. Security has a astronomical turn over rate. Mandatory overtime based on staffing shortages was almost daily and would come with no or little notice. All training is done on your time because of the staffing shortages, meaning you are expected to work your shift and then attend training or train all day and then work your shift or train on your day off. The pay was OK and benefits were sub par. 99% of your job is doing mundane, busy work such as walking buildings several times a shift, writing down laptops that were left out and counting cars parked in the lot, yes I'm being serious. If you are desperate for a job go ahead I guess but there is better out there.
Pros
Cerner culture, on site gym
Cons
Insurance, staffing issues and turn over rate
Overworked for no reason
Software Engineer (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOMarch 22, 2016
I did not like Cerner.

Forced overtime even if you are way ahead of your goals.
Unlimited sick days but when I used 3 because of a flu I was told it would reflect poorly on my yearly review.
There was a fear of getting backstabbed. Everyone saved their emails, locked their desktop when they got up from their desk and kept nothing valuable at their desks.

I hear that if you don't mind the bs its easy to get promoted and the pay is great.
Cons
lots of overtime.
Product Specialist was high rate turnover position
Product Specialist (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOMarch 21, 2016
In the few months I worked for Cerner it was nice to work. When the manager explain that this position was high turn over he was right. Half of the co-workers that I started with me had quit This position was a better for people that had medical background. The people was really great co=workers . The training was fine ,but after the original training , you had to continually take test.

After talking to the recruiter he explain that it is really hard to keep employees in that position.
Long hours but opportunity for growth and lots of mentorship
Clinical Strategist (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJanuary 16, 2016
As a Clinical Strategist, I was offered lots of training at Cerner Corporation. Sometimes there is role unclarity and you don't know if you are expected to be an architect or a strategist. The company pays well but you have to pay outstanding balances on your Diners card. You are expected to work evenings and weekends on some client sites.

This company is good for young college graduates.
Diverse Personalities - Some very strange in what a womans position in life/work duties are
Contract Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Waltham, MAMarch 4, 2016
Came in as a temp - was given no real instruction on duties and they were in no way what I was told they would be by the Agency KForce that placed me here - Did job for over 3 months and was approached by wonderful co-worker that said to me yesterday - heard your leaving - where are you going? I looked dumb founded and said this is the first I heard - WOW - Today is my last day - Yippee - Had some things in the works and not using an agency ever again. Starting NEW Position next week - Good luck to my replacement.

Typical day - Stocking kitchen - cleaning up after messes that co-workers left - stocking kitchen supplies - recopying training books because others dropped the ball - washing tables from coffee rings and crumbs left behind and most importantly watching the main door.

Most enjoyable was a handful of people I was able to work with.

Just a handful!!!!!
Pros
Leaving
Cons
No communication
Great Job Tough Culture
Technical Support Engineer IRC Event Management (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJanuary 11, 2016
Cerner was a unique job that required a unique set of skills taught in house to support their software which is used to run Hospital Systems Globally.

I worked in the IRC (Immediate Response Center) working Alarms. The alarms came in for system and software solution issues and failures. We were required to ack alarms quickly and quickly diagnose and resolve 1k to 2k alarms every month.

Alarms were related to Cerner's Millennium Backend System or Front End application issues.

I gained a strong knowledge of how Cerner's Software interacts with other systems and worked mostly on Linux servers.

In some cases I would be making phone calls to client helpdesks to report issues that would need to be resolved by the client because the client owns the data.
Pros
Pay, Benefits, Job Security, Advancement, Training
Cons
Work Culture, Management
Collaborating and communication
Systems Analyst (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJuly 15, 2016
-Collaborating with team members to have a successful project
-communicating with clients via teleconference.
Cerner is alright, pretty much what you would expect from a large Corporation
Senior Systems Analyst (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MODecember 2, 2015
A typical day includes emails and meetings and some system build and trouble shooting. Co Workers are alright but upper management doesn't have a clue. They have no respect for work/life balance. But its a good job with decent benefits and job security. The most satisfying part of my job is fixing an issue a client was having and making them happy or building something just that makes their job easier.
Must be willing to learn new things
Project Manager/Analyst (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOApril 24, 2016
I loved working in an environment where you put in 10 hours a day and really feel you accomplished something. There are zero repetitive tasks.
good salary out of college but lack of training and little work life balance
PROFESSIONAL SERVICES CONSULTANT (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MONovember 23, 2015
Overall, Cerner offers numerous entry level positions to college grads with a good starting pay rate. Most employees traveled a high percentage and were expected to work 40 hours or more per week. The jobs within consulting seemed to be very stressful and high pressure for the most part
Pros
benefits, culture
Cons
little input on initial placement within company- no work life balance
Great place to gain experience
Engagement Leader (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOMay 6, 2016
This was an incredible opportunity to gain experience, and be handed a large amount of responsibility at a young age. Working here will definitely put you in a position to make a lot more money at your next place of employment. They promote (usually) based on merit/skill so management is typically solid. Downsides usually involve the work/life balance or travel expectations, but, if you're just out of college, being given that opportunity is something that I really appreciated. Another major downside is that so many projects end in dissatisfaction for clients, a lot of that has to do with the nature of the industry, but the desire to keep pushing out new code/design standards without adequate associate education causes problems. I've since left Cerner but really do have a strong appreciation for their flexibility and creativity, you'll make more money elsewhere, but it's likely that your next job won't move nearly as quickly and your opportunities for growth and advancement will adjust to a more normalized pace.
Pros
Lots of opportunity
Cons
Software isn't always up to par - causes issues with clients
Age discrimination
N/A (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJune 22, 2016
Better not be over 30 or they will not hire you. Big time age discrimination. Even if you meet or exceed there requirements.
Clinical Consultant
Clinical Consultant Virtual (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MONovember 13, 2015
Lead decision on clinical process, guide other teams to meet clinical needs, lead and facilitate client events.

Communication skills, leadership skills, Nursing is the knowledge lead in health care changes.

Great team work with co-workers. Project is not working silos they all come together

Travel 80% is the hardest part. Don't expect any less.
Forecasting your needed hours.

Working with the clients. Helping them achieve their Value objectives and goals to improve patient safety, regulatory, and finances.
Pros
Professional development in leadership
Cons
long working hours
Large Company
Test Engineer (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJanuary 15, 2016
Well maintained organization.
At times, it was too big to adequately assure fairness in assignments.
Priorities were skewed.
Team was disbanded after finding so many software issues/errors that normal updates of code to our Clients was halted.
n/a
Software Engineer (Former Employee) –  OhioMarch 29, 2016
Nothing to note when working for TCS. You get to learn just the very starting point of a technology, enough to create a very crude proof of concept.
Cons
Consulting
Cerner Corporation
Analyst, EDI Transaction Services, Revenue Cycle (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MODecember 1, 2015
Cerner Corporation sits at the corner of IT and Healthcare. Cerner is a great place for technical jobs. It is not a great place to start if you are a business major or wish to pursue a career in business. I joined the Operations Academy and was given a technical support role.
Great learning opportunities and challenging work environment
System Engineer (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MONovember 19, 2015
A typical day at work including managing service queue for several remote clients. These clients aere all healthcare facilities in the north Atlantic region. My day would consist of updating my service queues with investigation and transference to specialized teams, all while managing projects including upgrades and domain maintenance. I learned several personal / professional skills, as well as many backend based skills within Linux, AIX, and HPUX. Management was helpful, and encouraging. MY coworkers were very motivated and encouraged me to push myself and take on new tasks. The most difficult part of the job was balancing out live, production work, with long-term project based work. The most enjoyable part of my job was learning new tips and tricks and being able to apply them on a daily basis to improve customer satisfaction.
Competitive work enviornment
Ajilon Consultant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 25, 2016
Very long days mandatory, must be willing to travel often, work life balance very difficult. Can be mentaly draining if you are not use to it.