Cerner Corporation

Cerner Corporation Employee Reviews

Good Starting Company
Delivery Consultant - Upgrade Center (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, KSSeptember 23, 2015
Pays very well for recent grads. Unless you dedicate your life to Cerner, you will not make it far. Use it as a job out of college to get application knowledge and experience and then go to a client site where you can make more $$.
fun
Revenue Cycle Consultant (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOSeptember 23, 2015
What can i say. IT was a blast working there and the people were really nice and i learned a great deal and i had fun traveling and i liked the meetings
Difference in work ethics
Project Manager and Senior Process Architect (Current Employee) –  Silver Spring, MDSeptember 19, 2015
My experience started out pleasant, but as of late, my work ethics vary drastically from the current leadership. I would like more transparency and support from the leadership.
Great Company
Analyst (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOSeptember 10, 2015
Great company for entry-level professionals with competitive pay and great benefits! I would recommend to anyone wanting to step foot into the challenging world of Software development.
Terrible Work Life Balance for Network Engineers
Network Engineer (Current Employee) –  KSSeptember 8, 2015
Cerner is a great place to start your career or to gain experience. You have the opportunity to work with the latest and greatest technology. Cerner can also pay well depending on if you can prove your worth.

Senior Engineers will get frustrated with the low level talent that Cerner brings in. You are expected to be on call 24x7x365 and to answer your phone within 10 minutes. Even if you are not on call they will still call you.
Pros
New tech, fun people
Cons
No work life balance.
Good company to work for if you are with a good team that has experienced leadership
Full-time System Engineer (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOSeptember 7, 2015
Working for Cerner started off on a bad note because the job described to me was not the job I was given. I was given a System Engineer title with expectations of both support work and project work. The position was 100% help desk with not a single project in the year I worked there. I was unfortunately put under the supervision of an inexperienced, lazy, and disrespectful "Team Lead". On multiple occasions he put down his team members and/or quickly became agitated with their questions. He would also get very angry whenever you didn't do what he said. Which resulted in him yelling at his team like they were children stating that "you need to do what I say because I am in charge". This happened to me at least once while on the phone with a client. He slept on the job which was widely known but nothing was done about it. I worked with one of the many teams on Cerner's helpdesk. I witnessed several team members who were denied advancement or transfer to another team they were qualified for based on political reasons. A typical day consisted of answering phone calls and responding to issues ranging from power/connectivity issues to complex outages or system configuration errors. Other teams and co-workers frequently had a "who can I dump this work on attitude" although there were some great people I worked with. Hardest part of the job was trying to deal with inconsistent expectations. I described the 3 team leads on my team by saying "you will get 5 answers to the same question". Frustration came quickly when direct team members would send work to other teams without  more... proper investigation only to have it come back and become someone else's issue. It was a way for team members to avoid work but was not addressed by leadership. All suggestions through my team lead were not taken seriously. Any action items my leadership took after meetings were never brought up again. This was extremely frustrating as it made me feel like a slave and that my input was taken as a formality and not taken seriously. The most enjoyable part of the work was the appreciation from the clients we helped on daily basis. We resolved several issues on a daily basis that directly impacted patient safety and the clients were always very thankful when resolution was obtained and understanding when we were busy. My career with Cerner ended when several of our team members had quit which left more work for those remaining. It snow balled a bit to the point where our metrics were thrown out the window because we were all given way more work then we could possibly handle in a reasonable time frame. After months of this type of overload and leadership not actively stepping in to help with the team's work I decided it was time to get out. From my experience with Cerner, promotions and advancement are based on politics and not work ethic and results.  less
Pros
Good pay, benefits, and compensation.
Cons
Inexperienced and disrespectful management. Long hours and inconsistent expectations.
Family run feeling, good work culture.
Group Leader, P/A-4, Situation Manager (Former Employee) –  Malvern, PASeptember 4, 2015
Enjoyed SMS as it was a great working enviroment. Salary, benefits, work culture and career advancement possibilities provided to a positive experience.
Corporate Games
Professional (Former Employee) –  World HeadquartersSeptember 3, 2015
I was employed with Cerner for five years. In that time, my evaluations exceeded expectations yet my raises totaled 2%. The company does not listen to the "working class", but only believes what the management team reports to them. They have been known to fire people with perfect work records if they don't agree with the management team, even if the idea is ridiculous. The HR department does help when questionable events occur. The HR department sorts through the policies to find a reason to fire those that are not corporate lackeys. If you work for Cerner, you are not allowed to think outside the box or have a life that you call yours.....Cerner OWNS you when you work for them. Worst job I have had in a thirty two year career.
Benefits
Cons
Do not respect employees as humans, just want someone that will never question ANYTHING>
Good work life balance
Software Engineer (Current Employee) –  kansas cityAugust 22, 2015
There are lots of interesting projects. The review is completely based on the team. You might end up in a not so interesting project and hate the job. I know people for whom that has happened.
Reorganizing and Changing
Sr. Proposal Specialist (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOAugust 21, 2015
Cerner is a complex organization with unique values and demands. I am seeking a better quality of life and an actual work/life balance.
Pros
Occasional opportunities for growth
Cons
Work structure
Amazing place to work
Site Coordinator (Current Employee) –  New Orleans, LAAugust 17, 2015
Cerner cares about their employees futures just as much as they care about the future of health care. Work hard play hard is the foundation of the Cerner culture.
Great Associates/ Great Supervisors who Care about their People
Armed Security Specialist (Current Employee) –  Malvern, PAAugust 16, 2015
Everyday it's a Honor and Privilege to be able to protect the Associates of Cerner Corporation. My Supervisors are down to earth and what ever I need they are there for me and my CoWorkers. Before I worked at Cerner I worked as a Deputy Sheriff in a small county in Md. Since starting my Career at Cerner it feels like I'm in Heaven.
Pros
Management and CoWorkers
Cons
pay not enough
An awesome job with good management and advancement.
junior DBA (Former Employee) –  Silver Spring, MDAugust 15, 2015
Early in the morning at work,I check if databases are running (by using a shell scripts that check all instances )
check if users can connect to instances
In THE morning WHEN I get to work, I look at the incidentce logs(alert logs,batch jobs) and authomated jobs using shell scripts in unix/linux scheduled using the crontab and the schedular
alert logs
batch jobs which usually contains companies order entries
backups (rman datapump and os backup to taoe or to cloud
change management /change request documented for auditing purposes
s the day advances monitor ( WITH shell scripts, alert log and oem)the databases attend meetings if any
do patching if it is the month for patching
Verify DBSNMP is running
Log on to each managed machine to check for the 'dbsnmp' process.
For Unix: at the command line, type ps –ef | grep dbsnmp. There should be two dbsnmp processes running. If not, restart DBSNMP.
I manage 5 databases using the Oracle Enterprise Manager(OEM) and Grid control.
I learn about possible failures most of the days
I cooperate and understand with my co-workers
The hardest part of the job is to resolve an ORA 600 that will require me to open a ticket with oracle cooperation.
The most enjoyable part of the job is when the data is secure, running optimally and monitoring well with no user complaining about long running queries.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
health care, vacation
Good
Staff Secretary (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOAugust 11, 2015
It is a great place to work and the health benefits were fantastic when I was employed there. I enjoy the atmosphere of the company and the fellow employees as we worked in a team setting. The most enjoyable part of the job was the staff.
Pros
Benefts
Cons
Cerner is an excellent place to work and learn,
Cerner Scholar Internship (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MoAugust 10, 2015
The staff and atmosphere at Cerner lends the ability to let your creativity flow and motivate to give 100% effort to your projects.
Good Company Poor Management
Senior System Engineer (Current Employee) –  Kansas City MissouriAugust 5, 2015
Poor managers work employees to death, and favoritism inhibits advancement. Archaic techniques for annual raises tends to embitter employees. Management rolls out new policies, regardless of feedback from associates actually tasked with performing the job.
Cerner Review
Sr. Solution Designer Role (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOAugust 3, 2015
My last 10 years with Cerner has been enjoyable to say the least. The employees (associates) are top-notch and function in a team environment.
Good Company, bad for beginners
Analyst (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOAugust 2, 2015
Tough to get a good start, you may not be placed in a position that you desire. Training is worthless and the type of work you'll be doing out of the gate will not be what you want to do.
Pros
Culture and the peopla
Cons
Compensation and initial opportunities
Great growing company
Software Engineer Internship (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJuly 29, 2015
Cerner is a great place to work. It has great potential and much to grow in the future as a IT healthcare company. It was a pleasure to work there.
Pros
Work environment
Cons
Training
Excellent first job opportunity
Learning Consultant (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJuly 13, 2015
I learned a lot about the current state of health care and how to improve the quality of service in several hospitals around the country.