Chaffey Joint Union High School District Employee Reviews

learned a lot. enjoyed the work and knowledge gained.
Secretary III, Instruction (Former Employee) –  Ontario, CASeptember 24, 2017
Enjoyed the work and duties of the job. Not having to work nights, weekends and holidays was a plus. However, office atmosphere lacked good management which in turn made for a stressful work environment when it came to team work productivity.
Pros
weekends, holidays off
Cons
work moral was poor. No team work.
Productive and welcoming environment.
Substitute Teacher/Special Education (Current Employee) –  Ontario, CAJune 22, 2017
I loved working for CJUHSD, the staff are very helpful and they will do what ever it takes to see that your employment with them is a smooth and enjoyable situation.
AVID TUTOR (Current Employee) –  Rancho Cucamonga, CAMarch 15, 2017
Great place to work! I have loved working at this job. It has taught me so much. Most of all, this is a very rewarding job. It is so rewarding to watch young high school students grow in their academic careers.
Excellent School District
Instructional Aide Substitute (Current Employee) –  Ontario, CA 91762February 27, 2017
Chaffey Joint Union High School District is easily one of the best school districts to work for. The competitive pay and wonderful staff are just a few reasons why I enjoy working for this district.
Consistent workflow for substitute teachers.
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Ontario, CAFebruary 8, 2017
CJUHSD is a large high school district with daily opportunities for substitute teachers in a variety of subject areas. Substitute coordinator at the district is helpful and holds subs accountable for performance. Reliability and hard work = a great, stable job.
Pros
Flexible schedule, high sub pay rate, diverse campus locations
Cons
No benefits, occasionally difficult to find jobs, no summer work.
Great Place to Work
Instructional Aide (Former Employee) –  Ontario, CASeptember 14, 2016
I enjoyed my almost 10 years of working for the Chaffey School District at Etiwanda High School. My supervisors were always supportive and my co workers could be counted on to help at all times. I enjoyed the interaction with the students everyday; no day was ever the same.
Pros
Summers off
Cons
Summer off with no pay and not eligible for unemployment insurance
A typical day at work
Classified Substitute (Current Employee) –  Ontario, CAAugust 27, 2015
I haven't been with the district for long, but from the short time I have worked for it, I have realized that as a substitute, every day seems to be different. It keeps the job interesting.
Algebra Tutor Position
Algebra Tutor (Former Employee) –  Montclair, CAAugust 12, 2015
The main goal of this position and the district as a whole is to ensure that all students learn, understand and excel in each category. The teachers are hard-working and although they may be stretched to their limits on a daily basis, continue to work with students for the highest level of understanding possible. Being an Algebra tutor is rewarding in that one is able to help students during their development process and prepare them to use certain topics over the course of their lives.
How I learned to be a good substitute teacher
Substitute teacher (Current Employee) –  Chaffey JUHSD, Ontario, CAJune 19, 2014
A typical day at work is alternately simple or challenging. My main responsibilities are to carry out the classroom teacher's lesson plan, help the students, and make sure that they y are dfulfilling the day's asignment. These tasks may sound uncomplicated, and usually there are very few problems.

On the other hand, I also encounter some younger, less-mature students, who prefer to spend the time talking with a friend. These students like to take advantage of a substutute teacher. A few of them have actually told me that the "sub" has no authority in the classroom! Fortunately, only a small percentage of the students have such attitudes. Most do not cause such trouble. But if they do, there are a few things that I can do to hold them accountable. For instance, I tell them that I will collect their class work at the end of the period. Then I warn them that when Mrs. Smith returns, the students' work will show her which students worked and which ones wasted time. This warning is usually enough to get the talkers to stop wasting time and to start working.

Naturally, when students are determined to misbehave and waste class time, it is my least enjoyable and most difficult day at work. At such times, I must continually walk around and monitor the students.

Of course, even the difficult days at my job are not completely negative; they are positive challenges from which I can learn. Dealing with challenging students has helped me improve in classroom leadership and management. At times, I have successfully motivated some students to try to accomplish something
  more... worthwhile.

Moreover, there have been many good times when I have been able to interact with some of the students, not onlyto help them but also to get to know them and their character.

Most importantly, through enduring the hard times I have learned that it helps to be organized. As an example, it is absolutely necessary to arrive iearly in the class room so that I can study the lesson plans and locat all materials. I need to make all preparations write instructions on the board, etc.) before the students arrive. These small steps help to avoid many discipline problems before they start.

As for co-workers, a substitute teacher does not get many opportunities to work with others on the job. Most of the time, I am the only adult in the classroom. But I have met a few teachers that I have admired for ther creativity and their love for teaching.
Pros
Gaining class room experience and in confidence as a teacher and aleader
Cons
N/a
educational place of employment
Special Education & Varsity Cross Country (Former Employee) –  Ontario, CADecember 16, 2012
The district focused on new programs to stay current with state and district requirements. Offered compensation for additional training courses.
Productive and professional work environment
Dean of Discipline/Guidance Counselor (Former Employee) –  Ontario, CAJune 16, 2012
Chaffey Joint Union HS District is one of the best districts to work for, Highly professional environment and students are in a rich affluent socioeconomic area with dual parent households for the most part that provides to intense community support, Counseling staff is efficient and highly knowledgable and profficient in providing resources and support above and beyond the norm, The superintendent is one of the best! API and AYP scores are in the top state rankings every year, athletics have a high percentage of division 1 student athlete acceptance, lots of college bound students in this area, student rallies often bring back professional athletes and profesional performers as a special experience for students and staff to enjoy, lots of funding in this district as it has a board of trustees and grant writers that seem to be some of the best in the state, lots of staff from California colleges and universities makes it highly cometitive and allows for a sense of connection to the southern california community, the annual parade at the district office can be compared to the Rose Parade as far as the talent these school bands provide.
Pros
academics and athletics are highly competive and scores in some of the state best rankings
Cons
administration is a revolving door and although one may be the best the next may be the worst
Great job information
Office/Instructionial Assistant Sub. (Current Employee) –  Chaffey Joint Union High School DistrictMarch 2, 2012
Great job information, a little hard to move thru the listings, from one job type to another. But I spend hours just reading all of them.
A lot of good and not so good
Substitute teacher (Former Employee) –  Ontario, CaJanuary 5, 2012
Working as a substitute proved to be great, but the system is flawed. Also, there is little feedback unless you mess up in a big way.
Pros
discount food at the cafeteria
Cons
not very steady work