Champlain Valley Physicians Hospital Employee Reviews in United States

Friendly environment to work in
Unit Clerk Float Pool (Current Employee) –  Plattsburgh, NYMarch 14, 2012
I have enjoyed working for Champlain Valley Physicians Hospital. The work environment is friendly as also all of the staff (nurses, doctors, management, housekeepers, etc.) I really enjoy my job also because I work in float pool which means that I am somewhere new every day and I meet new people, its a different atmosphere to every floor. The floors are med surg, maternity, mental health(adult, adolescent and children), intensive care unit, orthopedics, etc.
Pros
very friendly and nice staff
Cons
i drive over an hour to work, and how early my shift is.
Efficient and sociable working environment
Temp. Administrative Assistant to Medical Staff VP (Former Employee) –  Plattsburgh, NYFebruary 10, 2014
Management within this facility is very professional. A typical day at work consists of multiple different tasks, such as rearranging schedules, working on letters, scheduling meetings, etc. Co-workers are very sociable, easy to ask questions and get along with. The most enjoyable part of the job is the overall atmosphere, and the hardest part would be coordinating around others' schedules while scheduling meetings.
It was a nice place to work I really enjoyed caring for my patients who were at their last moments in life.
Clinical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Plattsburgh, NYDecember 23, 2013
My typical day at work, I worked the night shift from 11pm to 7am. I cared for cancer patients and some elderly with dementia. I learned a lot of new things at this job like blood drawing, checking glucose levels, and taking blood pressures. My co-workers were amazing I loved working with each and everyone of them! The hardest part of my job was getting attached to my patients and having them pass away. The most enjoyable part of my job was the rewarding feeling of knowing I made a difference in the last moments of somebodies life.
Clinical Rotations
Nursing Student (Former Employee) –  Plattsburgh, NYDecember 17, 2013
Clinical rotations included medical surgical floors, progressive care unit, ICU, and emergency room.Provided holistic care including assessments, bathing, IV care, sterile technique, suctioning, care plans, documentation, medication administration, and collaboration with other members of the health care team. Leadership and management clinical rotation in nursing informatics department.
Great place to work.
Medical Information Services employee (Former Employee) –  Plattsburgh, NYMay 15, 2012
Many courses available to better your education.
Most enjoyable part of being an employee - coworkers and management and the vast connection with physicians and departments. Love the gratification felt from being employed in the medical field.
Pros
help with health insurance.
Cons
union dues.
very clean,and the nurses and facility really did care about each patient
Clinical assistant (Former Employee) –  Plattsburgh, NYApril 12, 2012
I really enjoyed working at this hospital and off site lab .i learned alot!!!and really liked my supervisor. got along well with all my coworkers the hardest part was leaving i enjoyed the medical feild soo much met alot of interesting people.patients were awesome very nice
Pros
everyone made me feel very welcome great team
Cons
a little too much gossip going on
Two different computerized charting systems are being utilized which makes work cumbersome
Staff Nurse, Labor & Delivery (Current Employee) –  Plattsburgh, NYFebruary 27, 2013
In my experience the orientation process wasn't very good. It tended to be more piecemeal rather than systematic in approach. Also, I didn't realize it when I took the job, but management expected experienced RNs like me to be able to function undependently after only 2 weeks of orientation, including a week of general orientation. Also, orientation to their computerized charting system was brief (3 hours) and rushed, and didn't adequately prepare me for use on the unit. In fairness, however, these conditions aren't unique to CVPH, and I've heard Nurses from many other hospitals complain of similar experiences. This seems to be typical of the way things are being done in many hospitals; and seems to be motivated largely by a desperate need for nurses on the units, and the desire to cut costs of orienting new staff. Also, unlike other hospitals where I found considerable sympathy for my situation and support from the rest of the staff, initially this was largely lacking. I feel that many of the staff were trying to be helpful, but the way they went about it tended to cause them to come across as more critical than helpful. There also seemed to be a strong local cultural mindset in place which I found difficult to understand which caused a great deal of misunderstand-ing. All in all, I has been the most difficult situation I have faced in my career with respect to orientation and adjustment to the situation.
Pros
excellent pay, good staffing
Cons
unrealistic expectations, lack of support personnel (unit clerks), high deductable health insurance, lack of community resources, (there is a physician shortage and none in the area are accepting new patients).
Progressive Care
Progressive Care / Stepdown Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Plattsburgh, NYJune 19, 2014
It is a 430 bed rural hospital. I worked on a very busy 54 bed critical care unit. Patient ratios 4:1. Excellent teamwork. I worked both evening and night shift during my employment. The unit had a high staff turnover.
Good job for students
Hospital janitor (Former Employee) –  Plattsburgh, NYAugust 4, 2013
Working as a janitor gave me experience in getting my hands dirty and being able to know I did a good job when I worked hard.
Pros
good job for those who like hard work
Cons
sometimes the work was overwhelming
Work with some of the best from the area.
Quality Assurance Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Plattsburgh, NYJune 8, 2012
Very smart, straight forward personnel. Overall a nice place to work. A little to strong on "petty" rules - not a lot of schedule flexibility.
Excellent hospital
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Plattsburgh, NYJuly 14, 2012
I loved being in this hospital. Great learning environment for a student.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Champlain Valley Physicians Hospital. Our community is ready to answer.

Champlain Valley Physicians Hospital Reviews by Location