Champs Sports Employee Reviews

Productive and Fun workplace
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Merrillville, INJanuary 5, 2017
Since I am more of a laid back shy guy and working in that environment brought me out of my shell and be more informative with customers. Made me more comfortable of selling merchandise. Typical day at work would be fun because you are having conversations with anyone and everyone. I learned to be more outgoing and have more of my personality show. Management is awesome and I feel like I had managers in the past that weren't as hands on with the workers and always teaching you and helping you grow with the company and life in general. I don't think there was really an hard part about the job, but one of the difficulties at first is trying to find the shoes in the inventory the first couple times, when you get use to that it is a piece of cake. Most enjoyable part of the job is helping the customer and with helping someone you don't know who you are going to meet or run into and it is a great way to network with benefits and such outside of work.
Pros
working there and discount on shoes
Cons
short breaks
Productive and engaging work environment.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  York, PAJanuary 19, 2017
Wonderful job culture and benefits for a shoe and apparel company with decent compensation. Offers good schedule flexibility and competent management.
Pros
work environment, discount
Cons
hours, job advancement
Productive and fun workplace
Business Owner (Current Employee) –  Chillicothe, OHFebruary 6, 2017
Work with multiple customers a day and or at once.
Check the out at the cash register.
Make orders online.
Take inventory and stock shelves.
Attend work meetings to set goals and meet company quota.
Pros
Gained excellent experience on how to work with others and work in a retail setting.
Cons
Minimum wage, no benefits.
Great work place
SENIOR SALES ASSOCIATE (Current Employee) –  West Hartford, CTNovember 14, 2016
Champs is a great place to work. The work load is manageable and the management is great to work for. Helping a customer come in the store and enjoy their experience and find the perfect sneaker is a great feeling.
Pros
Associate Benefits
Cons
Limited Medical Benefits
An ok place to work
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  West Dundee, ILDecember 19, 2016
Pay was low and raises were very small. Good place to work if using as secondary job or are in school as the schedules are flexible. If you love shoes this is a great place to work.
Pros
Discounts on merchandise
Cons
Poor pay
Well Balance work place
Asst. Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Paramus, NJFebruary 10, 2017
I grew and learned a lot within Champs. I also was able to grow as person and have a much larger skill set since I have been there. Champs is a good company to start off with.
Pros
Discount on sneakers
Cons
Salary/No set hours
A typical day at work
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Morrow, GAAugust 13, 2016
Assists the store manager in all aspects of store operation including selling
 Employee management
 Customer relations, stock, visual merchandising, asset protection and training
 In the absence of the store manager, the assistant assumes all managerial duties
 Provide excellent customer service
Pros
benefits, interactions with people
Cons
lack of communication from management staff
Productive and high energy with great co workers
Lead Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Clearwater, FLFebruary 13, 2017
Working with Champs Sports was a good experience. The typical work day consisted of customer service which is was something as an entire company that we strive to be the best at. Working retail allowed me to learn to read people, understand their needs/wants, and learn how to not only work with others but also learn communication skills with both my co workers as well as our customers. Champs management team was very well put together although our management pushed us to meet our monthly, weekly, and quarterly goals they also encouraged us and continuously were helpful when we needed them. The hardest part of the job was being on your feet for a long period of time but because of the atmosphere and the great co workers it created a productive high energy environment that was extremely enjoyable.
Pros
In store discounts, free meals
Cons
Long Hours, Always on your Feet
A fun job
Sales Person (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZDecember 7, 2016
Great employees. Minimum wage. No set schedule. Very easy and laid back but that made time feel like it was going by very slowly. Great work benefits.
Pros
long lunch breaks and limited smoke breaks
Cons
slow work days
champs sports
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Pasadena, TXDecember 27, 2016
Great job i loved the environment. The only down side would be the hours. Since it is retail the hours are crazy. The pay is fair and I loved my manager.
benefits
Cons
schedule
Where sports live!
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Brea, CASeptember 29, 2016
This was the foundation of my customer service and management experience. This was a fun place to work in with potential in moving up in the company.
Pros
benefits and great management
Cons
Holiday schedules
Not a very good place to work.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 30, 2016
Low pay, unequipped managers, sneaky managers and associates, no benefits, unfulfilled promises since day 1. I would not recommend this company to ANYONE moving forward.
Great
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIDecember 6, 2016
Overall one of my favorite places to be, they are always willing to help you grow as a person and they give nice discounts and benefits.
Productive and fun work place great customer service
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Newark, DEAugust 22, 2016
A day at champs may consist of selling shoes, clothes, socks, insoles, book bags, or cleaners. There is a lot that goes on when it comes to helping customers. You can learn many things working at champs, it has helped many people develop better people skills, you learn how to deal with different cultures of people and adapt to fast pace situations. management is pretty laid back as long as everyone is doing their job. They handle situations very well and when problems need to be discussed meetings are set up on Sunday mornings to discuss these things. I would say the most enjoyable part of being a Champs employee is meeting new people day in and day out and building relationships with the customers that keep them coming back week after week.
Pros
30% Discount, Interaction with customers
Cons
Long hours with little pay, standing all day
Great place overall
Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYAugust 26, 2016
It was overall a great place to work although i can say you work pretty hard for little to no benifits and it is really hard to make a living with the company and strive
Pros
Fun great enviornment nice co workers not hard
Cons
Might not have break if busy, low pay
Positive workplace with encouraging and fun staff
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Greensboro, NC; Tampa, FL; Waldorf, MD.January 12, 2017
The Champs Sports team acted as a family. We were all very close when it came to each other, but professional in the workplace when a job needed to be completed. Typically we would find out the reasoning as to why our customers were shopping with us today, then do everything in our power to present them with the necessary clothing they would need to complete their task at hand. The hardest part of the job to me was keeping excellent and constant customer service to the customer even if the customer would not cooperate with you and turn out to be rude. Overall Champs Sports was a learning environment with different challenges daily that you would run into, but would have to know how to adjust accordingly to conquer your challenges.
Pros
Networking, Discount on clothing
Cons
Long hours, Black Friday, Working Holidays
Energetic, sporty, brand name values
General Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Kennewick, WAJuly 12, 2016
Fast paced think on your feet environment with constant customer interaction. Opportunities for growth within company. Hot new products weekly.
Pros
Discount, great benefits, good relocation program
Cons
Work holidays, weekends, and late hours
productive and self driven environment
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Louisville, KYJuly 12, 2016
A typical day at work consist making customer feel as welcome as possible while maintaining a competitive sales environment. My job has taught me many things: such as how a large volume store is maintained, how to manage people, and that organization is key while running a business. My management team has been very instrumental in developing me into what I am today. My co-workers have been great. it was a wonderful experience helping train most of them while learning from them. The hardest part of my job is not having a platform or time table for advancement. The most enjoyable part of my job is satisfying customers, and competition among co-workers.
Pros
personable uppermanagement
Cons
healthcare
terrible entry level job, treated like youth no matter what position held
Sales Associate/Sales (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHJanuary 17, 2017
I haven't got much to say about this place, I worked at the tower city location in downtown Cleveland and it was probably the worst place I've every worked. Management takes their job either way to serious or not serious at all. Any decent employee gets over-looked and moves onto a new job, management is usually composed of either really condescending college grads that have a bachelors in business and never once sold a shoe, or has-beens that are too comfortable with their terrible lives to leave. Work there for pocket change as a highschool kid then run away as fast as you can. The discount was cool though I will admit that. Your hours are determined by who ever is bestfriends with the store management so I made sure I was on their good side and my schedule was awesome, sucked for anyone that wasn't willing to fake a friendship though.
Pros
discount
Cons
literally everything, no exaggeration.
It was a fun place to work for with the environment and dealing with the public
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, DEDecember 28, 2016
I enjoyed the opportunity i had. I went from part time worker to assistant manager in 4 months. So i enjoyed the rapid advancement. I felt appreciated by the way i was treated and the way management gave me the trust and the chance to show my worth.
Pros
Discounts and the entertaining environment
Cons
Having to terminate people

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Champs Sports. Our community is ready to answer.