Champs Sports Employee Reviews in United States

very relaxed but productive work environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INOctober 17, 2015
the overall atmosphere of working here was great. Majority of everyone got a long and there were lots of laughs and good times. But we definitely got our work done too. My managers were great and were extremely concerned with all of their employees. I really like this company overall and I enjoyed working for them. But on the down side I believe they could pay their associates more even though it is on commission and that their could be more benefits. It was also very difficult for associates at our location to meet the requirements set by Champs Sports for sales goals.
Pros
relationships and encouragement
Cons
little pay, had to buy your own lunch, unrealistic sales goals
Good company to work for.
General Manager (Former Employee) –  McAllen, TXFebruary 21, 2016
Good company to work for, great benefits and perks. Management was fair, not a hard job to do, not a lot of room for growth unless willing to travel out of state.
Fun place to work but terrible compensation
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Grand Chute, WIMarch 29, 2016
Fun environment to work
Co-workers were joy to work with.
DM was not great to work with.
Easy job
Slow times meant small paychecks.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Very low compensation
Overall Fun, But Be Prepared For High Energy Students
CHAMPS After School Teacher (Former Employee) –  Rhinelander, WINovember 18, 2015
I loved working at CHAMPS. The only downsides were that you do a lot of work on your own time without compensation with creating lesson plans and the kids were often very loud and overwhelming even for an experienced teacher. Management was resourceful, stretched but none the less great.
Pros
Fun with Kids
Cons
Lots of Uncompensated Work
Great job for younger croud
Assistant Manager/Acting Manager (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIOctober 31, 2015
Not great salary for older educated individuals. Great job for high school age or to work your way through college with.
Champs Sports
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Binghamton, NYSeptember 13, 2015
Productive and fun workplace that is always busy. Teamwork is very important and good customer service is the key to success.
Pros
Discount on shoes and apperal
Cons
long hours and little compensation
Energetic, fun work environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAMarch 19, 2016
A typical day at work was on average a steady pace, there was never a moment where there was nothing to do. I learned to improve on skills that weren't as good as they should be. Management was very clear and direct on what is expected on a normal day at work. Co-workers were amazing, made the work environment more friendlier. The hardest part of the job was hitting the percentage of hooks needed to achieve on a daily work day, due to slow days. Working with people that made work feel more enjoyable, people who had the same interest as I did.
Pros
Discounts on shoes
Cons
Not many house for part-time
Fun environment with nice shoes
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAJanuary 25, 2016
Improved my customer satisfaction
I learned to work harder in order to climb the ladder to success
Learned more about managing and taking caring of your employees
Made great friendships with co-workers
Hardest part of the job was being a security guard and sale employee, we did not have a security guard so i had the responsibilities of securing the floor and merchandise
Most enjoyable part of the job was the awesome shoes, first dibs
Pros
First dibs on Highly anticipated shoes
Cons
Security should've been provided if theft was a problem
Awesome job with shoes!
SALES REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee) –  Saint Louis, MOJune 19, 2015
A typical day at work, would be helping all the customers out, helping them with their decision of their purchase. I've learned was how to be such great help, and how to describe the different fabrics and styles of shoes. Management at first was awesome, but new store manager came in and ruined everything! Still love the job though. My co-workers are family! There was nothing hard about the job. The most enjoyable part was the workers and customers
Pros
Co workers
Cons
Management and Compensation
Fun most of the time, but felt managers gave workers no voice
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Greensburg, PADecember 17, 2015
The work environment was great most of the time, and the coworkers were also great to work with. However, it felt like the managers of the store and district seemed out of touch with the customer-base and what products were popular among the demographic that was trying to be targeted. As being apart of that demographic, my coworkers and I always made suggestions and they never came to fruition, as stores around us were beating us competitively in sales.
Pros
Fun work environment, personal interaction with customers
Cons
Poor management, lack of hours
fun family environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  cary, ncJuly 24, 2015
Honestly your experience can depend on which store you work at, managers are either really cool or think they are sculpted from gold. The pay is really low, and the benefits are not worth the many hours you have to put in to make money to start off. Policies have changed significantly over the years so if you are looking for discounts this is not the company!
Pros
fun environment
Cons
discount policy, employees feel unimportant
Productive and a great place to advance in management
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Jersey City, NJAugust 29, 2015
Champs sports gave people the chance to excel, yet they held a lot of people back due to the work culture and benefits they offered.
Pros
Pay rate
Cons
Job culture and benefits
Fun workplace with stern production values
Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Kennewick,WAApril 17, 2015
Work started as soon as you clocked in here at Champs. I grab my badge and radio then hit the sales floor to see how many shoes I can sell with insoles for added compensation. I learned so much of what customer service is all about at Champs. Basically, you determine how well your day is going to be simply by the way you treat your customers. You greet them in a friendly manner then they will respond in the same way. I did everything I can to help our customers. Management was more focused on hitting their numbers everyday rather than the customer but if you have associates on the sales floor that understand it is the other way around then you will have a successful company like that of Champs.
Pros
Experience in customer service, meet a lot of people
Cons
Long periods standing
Head Cashier (part-time) (Current Employee) –  Fort Myers, FLMarch 25, 2016
very productive and motivating company to work for. There is plenty room for advancement. The bonuses and incentives that are offered to management makes you want to advance within the company.
Good Environment minus Manager
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  King of Prussia, PAApril 8, 2016
Working is very enjoyable there. The associates and assistant manager are all very helpful and friendly. They are not shy and will get to know you. Very encouraging when it comes to selling well or if things are done well.
The manager personally is not the greatest. He's quick to make sure you know we did something bad, but very hesitant with compliments. Has a hard time communicating without sounding insulting and does play favorites. Complains how somethings are not getting done, but does not go out of his own way to do something about it and just complains and argues to the associates that it's their job. No real leadership minus the assistant managers.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Manager
productive good entry job with nice work atmosphre
Sales Associate/Stock Room Manager (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 5, 2016
Good management. Nice entry level job for someone in high school or in college. Not enough hours if you are looking for full time work.
Pros
discount on products
Cons
not enough hours
Super fun work environment!
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVMay 9, 2016
Working for Champs is awesome! All my co-workers instantly became my good friends. They were extremely fun, reliable and trustworthy. My boss pushed us daily to meet certain quotas. He was also very fun and easy going. Not to the point where we could do whatever we want, but to the point where we were all comfortable with one another while getting everything done at the same time. My favorite part about this job was the amount of different people I came to encounter. Along with this, my co-workers and how much fun they made my first job be.
Pros
Discount, Awesome co-workers and boss.
Productive, peaceful & fun workplace
Sales Associate, Sales Lead, Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Baytown, TXApril 4, 2016
fun, build relationships with co-works and customers, daily tasks were simple and easy to maintain if done correctly, co-workers were on-going and easy to talk to, learned about being out spoken and a well listener, becoming a leading management as well as a follower
Pros
breaks, build relationships, environment
Cons
time management
Productive work place filled with new and challenging tasks each day
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Northridge, CAFebruary 18, 2016
While working at Champs i have developed excellent customer service skills, dealing with different people on a daily basis. My team has made my experience working there very memorable. My manager is very good at his job and strives to make us the best associated we possibly can. Each day is filled with new experiences in the people we meet and the new goals that are set each day when it comes to sales. The most enjoyable part is meeting many new customers who i bond, some regular customers you learn to love.
The work environment was fun and exciting
Part-time sales associate (Former Employee) –  Arlington, VAFebruary 28, 2016
I worked here shortly after being laid off from my full time job at a major health club. The management were very receptive helpful, and helped me get off to a fast start. I was offered a management position before leaving for another full time job.
Pros
Flexible work schedule
Cons
Small attitude issues with fellow employees