CHARLES COUNTY PUBLIC SCHOOLS

CHARLES COUNTY PUBLIC SCHOOLS Employer Reviews

Excellent place to work.
Front Office Receptionist/Data Entry, Part-time (Former Employee), Waldorf, MDOctober 3, 2014
Pros: working in a learning environment.
Each day provided an opportunity to help someone, not only in the classroom but as a receptionist answering phones and greeting visitors. The co-workers were wonderful to work with always willing to share knowledge and help in any way. The most difficult part of the job was when a student chose to leave the program. The most enjoyable part of the job was sharing the students' successes all the way through to graduation.
terrible environment
Special Education Language Arts Teacher (Current Employee), Indian Head, MDJune 22, 2014
Pros: competetive compensation
Cons: too many to list
Although the compensation seems high, there is a mandatory 7% off the top of your salary gone to retirement. The insurance rates are high ($120+ a month for basic), also you must pay the EACC whether or not your a member, then it costs more to join. I worked at one school, Matthew Henson so I can only speak to this school. The environment was terrible, most teachers are very uptight and are difficult to get anything from. (I was a special education teacher). The special education department was treated horribly, constant pressure from administration and central office to basically take over classrooms and be a case manager which requires an intense amount of paperwork and data collection. Some new employees there were not even capable of performing the duties required of the position while other more capable employees (like me) were expected to control lesson planning, classroom behavior management and case management flawlessly and were chastised when things were not perfect. Administration is not supportive and complain if you send them students no matter the severity of the behavior. The principal is a bully that uses her power to intimidate employees and offers no help or compliments of any kind (at least to my department). All in all Charles County talks like they are a great progressive school system, however the curriculum is AP (even for the lowest students) and is always changing, there is extremely high turnover and the paperwork borders on the ludicrous. The school I was at switched to an inclusion model midway through the year without notice and without training. Also the teacher evaluation system is a joke and undefined and the administrators are poorly prepared to implement it and it is subjective and arbitrary. The assessments are in constant flux and are used to evaluate teachers even though the county might throw out the test the following year. Do yourself a favor keep yourself and your child as far away as possible... at least from Matthew Henson.
Excellent interaction with trainers and public
SECRETARY (Current Employee), La Plata, MDJune 9, 2014
Pros: appreciated by parents
Cons: overtime not paid, but expected to work
Overtime not paid to workers
Employees not encouraged to advance
Menial arts and craft assignments
Employees cheated out of thousands of dollars of overtime
Employees treated like school students, not like adults
Employees not included in staff meetings with supervisors
Workload uneven
Money wasted on non-essential supplies
Great place to teach
Elementary School Teacher (Current Employee), Pomfret, MDApril 24, 2014
Pros: great schools
Cons: far drive
CCPS provides tons of professional development and gives great support to all its teachers. The elementary schools are top notch.
Productive and enjoyable
LaPlata, MD (Former Employee), Charles CountY MarylandFebruary 28, 2014
Pros: hour long lunches
Cons: no overtime even if you worked 10 hours a day
A typical day at work involved taking care of help desk tickets and talking with teachers about the problems that they were experiencing.
I also had to fulfill all requests that came from Central office in a timely manner.My co-works were well informed and reliable.
I would say that the hardest part of the day was when a problem happened with the principal and you were at another school.
Fun and ejoyable!
Substitute Teacher-partime (Current Employee), Waldorf, Md.January 12, 2014
I enjoy being a substitute teacher. I work at various schools working with staff and students. I have 23 years of teaching experience. The most enjoyable part about this job is that I am exposed to diversities of staff and the students. My co-workers are helpful, friendly, and they enjoy me. I learn as much from my students as they learn from me. They enjoy my humor, games that I teach them and they like my consistency when I have their PE class , for example.
French Teacher
French Teacher (Former Employee), Waldorf, MDDecember 17, 2013
always happy to start my class with a little joke.Teaching french with knowledge .Classroom management is the challenge that I always deal with happiness.
Co-workers are welcomed in my classroom to learn from the best.
love teaching and love people.
Great Work Place, Great People To Work With
Guidance Secretary (Former Employee), La Plata, MDDecember 3, 2013
Pros: fun place to work
I loved my job. The people I worked with was great. I was always busy and when there was an opportunity to learn something new, they were able to do so.

I was able to see and work with the students and see them grow into young adults and choose colleges and/or branches into the service.
Teaching
Physics/ Chemistry teacher (Former Employee), Waldorf, MDNovember 28, 2013
County taught me a lot in the professional stand point. Offered many workshops and classes.
enjoyable students
Teacher (Current Employee), Nanjemoy, MDNovember 11, 2013
Pros: short breaks, and limited time to plan
Cons: summer vacation, healthcare
A typical word day includes teaching students in all subject areas, behavior management, team planning, and parent communication. The hardest part of this job is not having enough time in the school day to complete the necessary work. I enjoy working with colleagues to plan and teaching children of all ages throughout the day.
Productive and always busy
Building Service Worker (Current Employee), Waldorf, MarylandNovember 4, 2013
As a building service worker depending on the time of the school year there are various activities that go on. Cleaning classrooms then later setting up for athletic events or school activities
Multiple class room and multiple age range experiences
Substitute Teacher (K-12) (Current Employee), Indian Head, MDAugust 11, 2013
Pros: ability to make own schedule as needed
Cons: no benefits, long interval for full time hire.
Typical classroom activities and requirements as required per grade level.
Good place to work within your community
Attendance Office Secretary/Supervisor of 8 aides (Current Employee), Indian Head, MDJuly 21, 2013
Pros: working in your community and interacting with your neighbors on a professional level
Cons: no opportunity for advancement
A typical day while working at a high school consists of contact with parents, students, teachers, administrators, and law enforcement individuals. My interpersonal skills have been sharpened by my interactions with those mentioned above.
Very good for future teachers.
Long-Term Substitute Teacher (Current Employee), La Plata, MDJune 28, 2013
A great motivation for individuals who have a desire to work in the field of education.
Fun and Educational
Instructional Assistant/ ISR Teacher (Former Employee), Laplata MarylandMarch 3, 2013
Pros: having fun with the kids and teaching
Cons: health benefits
Present subject matter to students under the direction and guidance of teachers, using lectures, discussions, or supervised role-playing methods. Tutor and assist children individually or in small groups in order to help them master assignments and to reinforce learning concepts presented by teachers. Supervise students in classrooms, halls, cafeterias, school yards, and gymnasiums, or on field trips. Enforce administration policies and rules governing students.
Responsible for providing instruction, managing the classroom environment, and promoting student learning in the absence of the regular classroom teacher. Participate in teacher-parent conferences regarding students progress and or problems. Prepared lesson outline and plans assigned subjects, and submit for teacher review. Discuss assigned duties with classroom teachers in order to coordinate instructional efforts. Prepare lesson materials, bulletin board displays, exhibits, equipment, and demonstrations.
poorly run county
Orchestra Director(itinerant) (Former Employee), La Plata, MDFebruary 11, 2013
Pros: great kids
Cons: poor managment
the students and parents were great, but the standards and practices are too difficult to work with
Could care less about the I/DD students
Special Education Teacher (Former Employee), Waldorf, MDSeptember 6, 2012
The main focus here was sports. THey put my students in a classroom that was the size of a clost adn wanted to move us into a trailor behind the building. The principal was rude and did not care about the teachers or ; she only wanted to be involved with the sports mainly basketball
Able to go to different schools and meeting new people
temporary teacher (Former Employee), MDAugust 15, 2012
Pros: gaining new knowledge
Cons: no holiday pay, no benefits
I would typically substitute for teachers, assistants, and other staff members when needed. I would follow the instructions that the teacher would leave.
Great company to work for
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee), Waldorf, MDJuly 3, 2012
The school I worked for was amazing. The staff were very helpful and encouraging. A typical day at work was floating throughout the building helping the teachers and staff. It was a great experience and gave me plenty of insight into teaching. I appreciate all the positive and motivating help the teachers gave me on my journey into becoming a teacher.
Great job if you love working with kids.
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee), Charles County MarylandMay 20, 2012
I enjoyed working for charles county because of the kids I worked with. You get to pick which schools you want to sub for and which subjects. The hardest part would be working with dificult students.

About CHARLES COUNTY PUBLIC SCHOOLS

Charles County Public Schools is committed to recognizing and serving the needs of highly able /gifted students. Gifted Education – Read more