CHARLES COUNTY PUBLIC SCHOOLS Employee Reviews in United States

Exciting and Productive schools
Long-Term Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Waldorf, MDMay 11, 2016
I would be sent to a school for a period of time while the teacher was not able to fulfill their duties. I would complete all duties that were required of me. I would teach all lessons and complete all paperwork. I would conduct parent-teacher conferences and keep the class on task. I learned that I needed to be flexible and to take each day as it came. Not to stress over the things that I could not control. The principals and co-workers at each school were a pleasure to work with. The hardest part of the job is making sure that all of students are having their individual needs met. The most enjoyable part of the job was to teach the students many different concepts that they did not understand and then to see the light bulb come on when they got iy
Great environment and the staff/students made it ten times better
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Waldorf, MDMay 1, 2016
I would arrive and sign in. Go to my assigned classroom or gym for the day. Given a lesson plan and waited for students to come in the classroom. Assign the students their daily task and supervise them to make sure they completed their work. If they needed my assistance i would tend to them.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
Limited availability
K12 Education is fulfilling.
Systems Administrator (Current Employee) –  La Plata MDApril 22, 2016
Working to support 3,000 public school teacher is gratifying.
The staff is pleasant and single-minded about Charles County student's education and welfare.
Fair work environment
Special Eduaction Instructional Assistant - TAASC (Current Employee) –  Waldorf, MDMarch 28, 2016
Fair work environment. Duties evenly distributed and we were able to work nicely as a team and help each other out. I worked as a cashier and I also was responsible for restocking the candy and soda in my cashiers aisle.
All is good
Instructional Assistant (Current Employee) –  Waldorf, MDMarch 19, 2016
Charles County Public Schools employs me as a temp IA, which is all around enjoyable, working with children and teaching is wonderful.
Pros
children, experience
Cons
Early Hours
time
Substitute Teacher/ Part-time (Current Employee) –  La Plata, MDFebruary 8, 2016
The school times fit in my schedule. Im able to teach kids what I have learned in my recent years. The teachers and staff are pretty nice.
Pros
off work when school is out
Cons
pay
Charles County Public Schools
Computer Skills Teacher (Current Employee) –  Waldorf, MDJanuary 5, 2016
• Employ assessment tools and proactive strategies to improve instruction methods
• Teach six separate classes, ranging from sixth grade to eighth grade
• Teach students the basics of Microsoft Word, Excel, and Power Point
• Assign lessons and correct homework
• Use positive reinforcement methods to redirect poor behavior.
Stressful
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  MarylandDecember 12, 2015
I just make sure students stay on task and do the assignment left for them. I work at many different schools so I see many different people.
Pros
Flexible scheduling
Cons
1/2 lunch, not many breaks
Good Place to Work
Attendance Secretary (Current Employee) –  La Plata, MDSeptember 27, 2015
Management is great. Open door policy in full effect. Will train to perform. Easy to communicate things with. Depending on the school, you are welcomed with open arms. Great atmosphere. Must love kids. High patience level required for coworkers and parents.
Pros
It's a school system, which means winter break, summer break and various holidays off
Cons
Admin Days
Diverse work setting that allowed for personal and professional growth as an educator.
Physical Education Teacher (Former Employee) –  Waldorf, MDAugust 23, 2015
Working for Charles County Public Schools has been a rewarding experience. It has allowed me to grow as an individual and an educator.
Productivity
Computer Analyst (Former Employee) –  La Plata, MDJuly 24, 2015
This job has made me become more organized in every other job I had in the past. I enjoyed working with the administration and teacher staff at every school I assisted.
Good working environment
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Waldorf, MDJuly 6, 2015
Working hard to teach children to respect each other, and work as a team. In addition, to be the best student they can be - even if there are distractions.
Pros
I love working with the children
Cons
Salary is really low
Interesting and friendly people to work with
Coordinator, Career and Technology Education (Current Employee) –  La Plata, MDMarch 13, 2015
The most enjoyable part of the job is supporting the many teachers who believe in relevant instruction. Work days consists of supporting principals and teachers with the implementation of state career pathway programs, JROTC, technology education, business education and STEM programs such as Project Lead They Way Biomedical Sciences, Engineering and Gateway To Technology.
Pros
small school system, friendly co-workers, good healthcare package
Productive Day
Computer Analyst (Former Employee) –  La Plata, MDJanuary 15, 2015
As a former Help Desk Technician for the Board of Education, it has helped me become more productive with my work. I was a technician for three schools in the county (one middle school and two elementary schools).

I enjoyed working with the staff, administration, and the kids!

I received so much help from other Help Desk Technicians throughout the county, if I ever needed any guidance.
Excellent place to work.
Front Office Receptionist/Data Entry, Part-time (Former Employee) –  Waldorf, MDOctober 3, 2014
Each day provided an opportunity to help someone, not only in the classroom but as a receptionist answering phones and greeting visitors. The co-workers were wonderful to work with always willing to share knowledge and help in any way. The most difficult part of the job was when a student chose to leave the program. The most enjoyable part of the job was sharing the students' successes all the way through to graduation.
Pros
working in a learning environment.
terrible environment
Special Education Language Arts Teacher (Current Employee) –  Indian Head, MDJune 22, 2014
Although the compensation seems high, there is a mandatory 7% off the top of your salary gone to retirement. The insurance rates are high ($120+ a month for basic), also you must pay the EACC whether or not your a member, then it costs more to join. I worked at one school, Matthew Henson so I can only speak to this school. The environment was terrible, most teachers are very uptight and are difficult to get anything from. (I was a special education teacher). The special education department was treated horribly, constant pressure from administration and central office to basically take over classrooms and be a case manager which requires an intense amount of paperwork and data collection. Some new employees there were not even capable of performing the duties required of the position while other more capable employees (like me) were expected to control lesson planning, classroom behavior management and case management flawlessly and were chastised when things were not perfect. Administration is not supportive and complain if you send them students no matter the severity of the behavior. The principal is a bully that uses her power to intimidate employees and offers no help or compliments of any kind (at least to my department). All in all Charles County talks like they are a great progressive school system, however the curriculum is AP (even for the lowest students) and is always changing, there is extremely high turnover and the paperwork borders on the ludicrous. The school I was at switched to an inclusion model midway through the year without notice and without training.  more... Also the teacher evaluation system is a joke and undefined and the administrators are poorly prepared to implement it and it is subjective and arbitrary. The assessments are in constant flux and are used to evaluate teachers even though the county might throw out the test the following year. Do yourself a favor keep yourself and your child as far away as possible... at least from Matthew Henson.  less
Pros
competetive compensation
Cons
too many to list
Excellent interaction with trainers and public
SECRETARY (Current Employee) –  La Plata, MDJune 9, 2014
Overtime not paid to workers
Employees not encouraged to advance
Menial arts and craft assignments
Employees cheated out of thousands of dollars of overtime
Employees treated like school students, not like adults
Employees not included in staff meetings with supervisors
Workload uneven
Money wasted on non-essential supplies
Pros
appreciated by parents
Cons
overtime not paid, but expected to work
Great place to teach
Elementary School Teacher (Current Employee) –  Pomfret, MDApril 24, 2014
CCPS provides tons of professional development and gives great support to all its teachers. The elementary schools are top notch.
Pros
great schools
Cons
far drive
Productive and enjoyable
LaPlata, MD (Former Employee) –  Charles CountY MarylandFebruary 28, 2014
A typical day at work involved taking care of help desk tickets and talking with teachers about the problems that they were experiencing.
I also had to fulfill all requests that came from Central office in a timely manner.My co-works were well informed and reliable.
I would say that the hardest part of the day was when a problem happened with the principal and you were at another school.
Pros
hour long lunches
Cons
no overtime even if you worked 10 hours a day
Fun and ejoyable!
Substitute Teacher-partime (Current Employee) –  Waldorf, Md.January 12, 2014
I enjoy being a substitute teacher. I work at various schools working with staff and students. I have 23 years of teaching experience. The most enjoyable part about this job is that I am exposed to diversities of staff and the students. My co-workers are helpful, friendly, and they enjoy me. I learn as much from my students as they learn from me. They enjoy my humor, games that I teach them and they like my consistency when I have their PE class , for example.

CHARLES COUNTY PUBLIC SCHOOLS Reviews by Location