CHARLES COUNTY PUBLIC SCHOOLS Employee Reviews

Productive workplace
Attendance Secretary (Current Employee) –  La Plata, MDJuly 28, 2017
Great County to work in they really care about there employees and its a joy working for this company. If you are looking to work for Charles county schools go ahead and apply.
love my job
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  La Plata, MDJuly 9, 2017
A good sub. always has a bag of tricks of their own- coloring pages, a deck of cards. a good sub. thinks quick on their feet and assists the students in having a successful day.
A good school system to teach at
First Grade Teacher (Former Employee) –  Pomfret, MDJuly 9, 2017
I enjoyed my 7 years teaching Kindergarten and first grade at Charles County schools
Lots of outstanding training
Great benefits
Great job security and advancement
Pros
Great salary good benefits
Cons
too much work load for teachers
Working with hard headed children
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Indian Head, MDJuly 8, 2017
You are paid by the day. Children depending upon their age will be children, Of course we know how kids are today - so it is a challenge in the school system.
Pros
paycheck
Cons
horrible kids - not all but alot unfortunately
No Opportunities
Computer Analyst Intern (Former Employee) –  La Plata MarylandJune 26, 2017
Its fun to do I.T. but not fun to have no opportunity at a full time job. They haven't made new I.T. jobs in like 10 years. County is being flooded with technology and money but no support jobs.
Challenging, yet a job I love
Substitute teacher (Current Employee) –  La Plata, MDJune 11, 2017
I love being a substitute teacher! While some days are more challenging than others, it is a job I feel I was made for!! I love interacting with the students!!
Family-oriented work environment
Title I Coordinator (Former Employee) –  La Plata, MDMay 26, 2017
High level of trust between management and staff. I enjoyed most the regular interactions where all staff including executives, managers, and support personnel ate lunch together in a very relaxed atmosphere.
Educational Support
Instructional Assistant (Current Employee) –  Waldorf, MDMay 24, 2017
A difficult job with little pay that involves flexibility and constant micromanagement by administration. There is usually little opportunity for promotion and a high turn around.
Manageable workload and fun environment
IT Assistant (Former Employee) –  La Plata, MDMay 13, 2017
-Workday started at 9AM and ended at 3PM
-I learned how to install a plethora of software, repair equipment, and code computers
-Since this was volunteer work, I was not heavily managed or scrutinized. However, the person in charge was very friendly and instructive
Nice work place
Sped instructional assistant (Former Employee) –  MDApril 30, 2017
With my experience at ccps, I enjoyed my time. Most of the people were friendly. But I didn't feel like I was a valued employee at the end, because of my position as an IA, people looked down on me.
Pros
Holidays off, benifits, retirement
Cons
No breaks, short lunches, schedule changes
Not in touch with the 21st Century
School Counselor (Current Employee) –  Waldorf, MDApril 23, 2017
Not a very positive work environment. Did not receive any support from the building principal. The school was not warm or friendly. There is no diversity.
Pros
2 hour early release
Cons
No trainings
Management staff is less than effective with ill-behaved students
French teacher-Home & Hospital (Former Employee) –  La Plata, MDMarch 16, 2017
I am passionate about my work. That being said, it is hard to do my job and my passion with disruptive students. Our county requires foreign language study for graduation, however there is a large population of students who do not value this learning and can be disruptive to the process. I feel that we do not receive the support from our leaders in the school, Principals, Vice Principals, etc, in curbing this disruption. At the same time, we are held to standards and benchmarks, quite difficult to attain, when we are frequently engaged in disciplining apathetic students.
Pros
small class sizes (16-25)
Cons
multi-level students in beginner language classes
Wonderful School District
Physical Education/Adaptive PE/Health Teacher (Former Employee) –  Indian Head, MDFebruary 10, 2017
I enjoyed my Physical Education position for this district. It was my first teaching job, away from Rochester, NY. The workplace culture was diverse and supportive. Administration invested time and energy into students and teachers. I had a very positive experience.
Working with students with and without disabilities
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Waldorf, MDNovember 21, 2016
I have been able to work with students with disabilities as well as general education students. I enjoy implementing the lesson that teacher has prepared, and actually teach the students rather than just handing out paper.
Lively atmosphere great place to work
Cook/Prep (Former Employee) –  Marbury, MDSeptember 26, 2016
I enjoyed working at the various schools with the kids and serving food that I know was nutritious. Being able to help prepare and serve the children.
Pros
Working with the staff
Cons
Not enough hours
Very Professional and Flexible
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  La Plata, MDJune 7, 2016
Being a substitute teacher has its ups and downs but its a sweet job.
The only problem is no pay raises and its only during the school year.
Pros
Make Your Own Schedule
Cons
Not Full Time
Exciting and Productive schools
Long-Term Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Waldorf, MDMay 11, 2016
I would be sent to a school for a period of time while the teacher was not able to fulfill their duties. I would complete all duties that were required of me. I would teach all lessons and complete all paperwork. I would conduct parent-teacher conferences and keep the class on task. I learned that I needed to be flexible and to take each day as it came. Not to stress over the things that I could not control. The principals and co-workers at each school were a pleasure to work with. The hardest part of the job is making sure that all of students are having their individual needs met. The most enjoyable part of the job was to teach the students many different concepts that they did not understand and then to see the light bulb come on when they got iy
Great environment and the staff/students made it ten times better
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Waldorf, MDMay 1, 2016
I would arrive and sign in. Go to my assigned classroom or gym for the day. Given a lesson plan and waited for students to come in the classroom. Assign the students their daily task and supervise them to make sure they completed their work. If they needed my assistance i would tend to them.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
Limited availability
K12 Education is fulfilling.
Systems Administrator (Current Employee) –  La Plata MDApril 22, 2016
Working to support 3,000 public school teacher is gratifying.
The staff is pleasant and single-minded about Charles County student's education and welfare.
Fair work environment
Special Eduaction Instructional Assistant - TAASC (Current Employee) –  Waldorf, MDMarch 28, 2016
Fair work environment. Duties evenly distributed and we were able to work nicely as a team and help each other out. I worked as a cashier and I also was responsible for restocking the candy and soda in my cashiers aisle.