Charles River Laboratories Employee Reviews

The Starbucks of genetic Testing
Technologist (Current Employee) –  Wilmington, MAFebruary 3, 2017
There is no career path from entry level positions to higher levels of the company. 2 months ago they told us they would start considering to pay us better in about 6 months... Work is boring but relatively easy and the people are nice.
Pros
Friendly staff
Cons
Bad pay, very little to no promotions
Wonderful
Tech I­ Associate Production Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCSeptember 8, 2016
I worked with this company for 11 years. It was the best time of my life. We started with 10 employees back in 1998 and grew to over 100 or more at the site where I was employed. We worked hard and teamwork was always present. We were well compensated, had wonderful parties and award ceremonies. I went from a tech to an associate supervisor in my time there. I learned about how horseshoe crabs save lives and gained a lot of respect from my peers for my dedication to the company.
Pros
Family like environment
Cons
N/A
over worked short stafed
Technician one (Current Employee) –  Stone Ridge, NYOctober 18, 2016
This job was amazing at first over the last year it has been going down hill. Management don't care that you are over worked and hurting as long as everyones work is done in time. Most the time you don't even get lunch because you are so behind because each room in down 1-2 people but the work still has to get done.
Unfair company
Animal Care Specialist (Former Employee) –  Frederick, MDNovember 26, 2016
If you like working for a company that is like a natzi camp then this is for you. They like to knock you down, not build you up. This has to be the worse company in my career to have worked for.
Excellent place to work
Senuor Veterinary Pathologist (Current Employee) –  Reno, NVDecember 14, 2016
Great location in the West close to mountains and hiking. Excellent friendly staff, strong work ethic, professional, strong science
Pros
Strong science
Cons
Very professional work environment.
Inventory Clerk (Former Employee) –  Shrewsbury, MAJune 2, 2016
I was in charge of ordering and distributing lab supplies on a daily basis.
I learned a lot about all the different vendors being used.
The management team was great and I needed minimal supervision.
My co-workers were very professional, courteous and knowledgeable about the supplies that they needed.
The hardest part of the job was taking inventory on a quarterly basis.
The most enjoyable was being trusted to run the supply lab with minimal supervision.
Pros
Great hours; great pay and great benefits.
Cons
Lots of meetings.
Poor environment
Animal Care Technician (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 5, 2016
There is little to no break time. Your daily objectives will take the full 8 hours with little to no human interaction. You are standing and walking all day.
Great place to gain experience
Biologist (Current Employee) –  Ashland, OHAugust 12, 2016
Good job to work straight out of college. Gain experience and make good working relationships with co-workers. A lot of overtime offered. Task oriented schedules help to sharpen time management skills.
Great company to get experience in teratology
Pathology Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Horsham, PAAugust 23, 2016
This is a good company for a employee straight out of college looking to get experience in the field of teratology. They have a diverse study design available.
Great work environment with cooked up management
Data Engineer (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAJuly 15, 2016
Human resources are very rude. They doesn't care about you.
They always try to manipulate you. work environment is really great I have seen great people with lots of wisdom, knowledge and still down to earth.
Working condotions are not ergonomically good
Technician (Former Employee) –  Willmington MAJuly 15, 2016
Management needs improvement supervisor, are not trained , ergonomically not good working conditions.
I cleaned cages for lab mice, feed them.
Pros
Nice coworkers to work with.
Cons
Supervisors are not profesionals
Lab Technician II (Current Employee) –  Willimantic, CTSeptember 15, 2016
Productive day at work, friendly coworkers.
Hardest part was the early hours and the commute
The most enjoyable part of the job is to learn new things every day
Good training, poor pay.
Senior In Vivo Technologist (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, MAMarch 22, 2016
This company's research services arm (about half the business) is predicated on the business model of doing contract science for cheaper than companies can do it in-house. Given this, they are willing to take inexperienced scientists and train them, getting in return cheap labor for their experiments.
This is worthwhile for somebody fresh out of college without a contact somewhere and looking for experience. Their training is actually pretty good, but there is little opportunity for advancement, so expect to put in a couple years and then move on.
Pros
Training
Cons
Poor pay, contract science
very productive and nonstop working
Animal Care Technician 1 (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, MAMay 16, 2016
typical work day was very fast pace and nonstop working, constantly doing some type of work, never a dull moment. Great co-workers. most enjoyable part of the job was overall working with all of the animals.
Very stressful work environment
Animal Care Technician III (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVFebruary 8, 2016
A typical day would be checking on all of the laboratory animals in morning rounds. If any animals needed treatment then that would come first. I learned a lot about non-human primates by behavior. I also learned how involved an actual study can take. The animals were not abused, or mistreated. I have seen more animal cruelty with domestic pets than research animals. Management was okay, they did have a lot of FAVORITES. The best part of the job was Human Interaction and Environmental Enrichment with the non-human primates on a daily basis.
Pros
See the miracle of a positive medical study get FDA appoved
Cons
Hard work
Easy but very repetitive
Site Clerk (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVFebruary 3, 2016
Working at Charles River has a lot of benefits, but a lot of it drawbacks as well. I can say that the culture is great and the people are very nice, but the job is very repetitive and sometimes boring. The pay is descent, but there is no incentive to get more income. A typical day at work for a site clerk includes doing a lot of boring Standard Operating Procedures (SOP's), cleaning rooms, and a lot of other boring stuff. I would suggest working for a company that better values their employees and the hard work they put in.
Pros
No clocking in/out, hour lunch, working with animals.
Cons
No flexibility in scheduling, long hours, repetitive, and boring.
Excellent Company
Sales/ Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCMarch 17, 2016
Charles River is an excellent company to work for. Employees are treated with respect no matter what your job title. I worked for Charles River for 15 years and the company was like my 2nd family. I highly recommend working for this company.
Benefits
Enjoyable company to work for
Manager, Plant Engineering (Former Employee) –  Frederick, MDMarch 13, 2016
A good company to work for but little opportunity for advancement. Operates very lean. Doesn't place an emphasis on maintenance and engineering unless there is an issue.
Pros
Flexible hours.
Cons
Poor leadership
Wonderful place to work!!
Senior Laboratory Associate (Former Employee) –  Shrewsbury, MAMarch 6, 2016
I loved working here! I got to do a little bit of everything and the benefits were great. I had numerous opportunities to learn and advance in my career. I wish I was still there.
Brilliant company!
Communications Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, MAMarch 29, 2016
Incredibly thankful for the opportunities here so far! This company has saved countless lives and I am blessed to be a part of it.

Charles River Laboratories Reviews by Location