Charles River Laboratories Employee Reviews

Very stressful work environment
Animal Care Technician III (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVFebruary 8, 2016
A typical day would be checking on all of the laboratory animals in morning rounds. If any animals needed treatment then that would come first. I learned a lot about non-human primates by behavior. I also learned how involved an actual study can take. The animals were not abused, or mistreated. I have seen more animal cruelty with domestic pets than research animals. Management was okay, they did have a lot of FAVORITES. The best part of the job was Human Interaction and Environmental Enrichment with the non-human primates on a daily basis.
Pros
See the miracle of a positive medical study get FDA appoved
Cons
Hard work
Easy but very repetitive
Site Clerk (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVFebruary 3, 2016
Working at Charles River has a lot of benefits, but a lot of it drawbacks as well. I can say that the culture is great and the people are very nice, but the job is very repetitive and sometimes boring. The pay is descent, but there is no incentive to get more income. A typical day at work for a site clerk includes doing a lot of boring Standard Operating Procedures (SOP's), cleaning rooms, and a lot of other boring stuff. I would suggest working for a company that better values their employees and the hard work they put in.
Pros
No clocking in/out, hour lunch, working with animals.
Cons
No flexibility in scheduling, long hours, repetitive, and boring.
Productive place to learn
research technician (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, MADecember 1, 2015
Early start, very busy fast pase environment, many people get injure over time. Supportive management, enjoyed the diversity and camaraderie of co workers.
Pros
Paid training
Cons
overworked
This was a wonderful opportunity!
Cage Wash Tech I (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PANovember 6, 2015
The highest management of the field I worked in seemed to be struggling successfully running the facility. The managers that worked the floor were great though. They did everything they could to make the facility run smoothly. Work was fast paced, you got a good lunch break, and the managers were compassionate.
good and bad
Lab Technician/Animal CareTaker (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GANovember 5, 2015
All depends on the operations manager.in boston the operations manager checked on the employees . the one in Atlanta the only time you hear from them is if they are trying to get you fired.
Good place to work for College graduates just starting out in the job market
Document Control Specialist I and Archivist (Current Employee) –  Malvern PAOctober 22, 2015
I feel that training is a weak point and advancement is difficult.

I put in long hours to support the scientists and managers but supplying the necessary paperwork they need to perform their job
Pros
People are very friendly
Cons
Low pay
management
Production Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Portage, MIOctober 21, 2015
great company to work for, supportive from the top down. Great benefits and promoting employees from within to help advance the product and services.
Pros
great benefits, great colleagues
Life-saving work
Principal, Enterprise Data Architecture (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, MAOctober 16, 2015
CRL is a leading research organization responsible for many life-saving drugs currently on the market. IT has some exceptional individuals, but the governance is lacking. CRL's business model is based on acquiring smaller companies world-wide, but as a result their Data, Application, Process and Technology infrastructure is highly fragmented.
fun place to work.
Lab Technician, Seasonal/Temporary (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCSeptember 16, 2015
seasonal work. I learned how to draw blood from horseshoe crabs in the sake of scientific research. It was an very rewarding job. Condition were warm/hot, but it was what I signed up for. My manager was very nice and he cared for his employees rewarding us with an appreciation cookout towards the end of bleeding season.
Middle of Nowhere
Project Coordinator II (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, MASeptember 10, 2015
Good place to use as a stepping stone. Very incestuous place to work, everyone knows everyone and you cannot go out w/o seeing someone from work.
Always something new to learn
Mailroom/Copy Center Clerk (Former Employee) –  Wilmington MaAugust 24, 2015
Working in the corporate office gave me many opportunities to expand my skill set. The mailroom was a new job for me and I enjoyed all the challenges that it presented. Within a few years we grew the office to a well respected copy center as well; incorporating many new machines. The staff was small and we worked closely to ensure all our customers needs were met. Work days started with checking all machines and placing any service calls, delivering shipments from office supplier to departments within executive building, sorting and delivering mail through out the campus of 20 buildings, and dealing with the print jobs as they were requested. Truly loved this job and its constant diversity of task/challenges.
Secure Job, ok salary, terrible benefits
Senior Molecular Technologist Mass Spectrometry (Current Employee) –  Newark, DEAugust 14, 2015
I love what I do and the people I work with, however, there is no room for advancement, the managers are poorly trained, and the benefits are terrible. It's great if you're looking for something temporary, but not a place I would recommend for a long term job.
Team Work
Technical Operations (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVJuly 9, 2015
Accurately collect, record, and report electronic data gained in studies by performing physical exams, monitoring food consumption, measuring body weights, assisting with ophthalmology exams, and assist in treatment for various conditions
Responsible for the handling of animals during clinical observations, sample collection, animal husbandry; receive animals (general health observation, sexing, and identification) of all species, and provide care for all laboratory animals on site.
Perform computer input, read basic study protocols and extract pertinent information, review documentation of functions performed as part of quality control requirements,
Administer dosing test article OG/NG/IV/SC/IM, collecting blood samples, ECGs, clinical observations, post-dosing observations, and other duties assigned.
Pros
making a difference in peoples lives
Cons
side affects of drugs
Best job ever!
Laboratory Supervisor/Technician (Former Employee) –  Shrewsbury, MAJuly 6, 2015
I thoroughly enjoyed working there. I learned so many things. Definitely room to grow, move up, try different things, cross train. Benefits -great. Can't say enough good about the place.
Pros
Plenty of advancement and training opportunities.
Cons
Some management were not good, very fast paced sometimes stressful.
Very poor workplace
Senior Technologist (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, MAJuly 5, 2015
mediocre workplace dynamics at best. Just a boring rat and mouse farm with no hope of advancement. Forget about it. Don't even think about it.
Great place to start
DC, PA, NJ, MA and MD (Former Employee) –  Frederick, MDJune 29, 2015
It is a great place to start your career but can stagnant if you stay with the company too long. Contract for some incredible people. Depending on how you spend your time on a typical work day you can learn a ton of information.
Great Place to work, good people, great benefits
Surgeon (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCMay 21, 2015
Charles River is a great place to work with great benefits. Many employees in the surgery department are very skilled and dedicated.
The work done is important for medical research and is treated respectfully. I enjoyed completing my tasks with the company.
Pros
greatbenefits, transfers available all over the world
Cons
Would have preferred to have a supervisor in surgery who had surgical experience
hours
Research Technician I (Current Employee) –  Horsham, PAMay 1, 2015
the hours are not the greatest and I don't suggest any one who wants a life out side of work to work there. it is very stressful and impossible to get a promotion
Company full of hard workers
Necropsy Technician II (Former Employee) –  Horsham, PaApril 17, 2015
Very long hours with tons of over time opportunities. Typical day is 8-4:30 but most of the time you work longer than that.
Mismanaged site within a decent company
Analytical Chemisty Technician II (Current Employee) –  Malvern, PAApril 13, 2015
If working in an Orwellian 1984 like dystopia is your vision of an ideal workplace then Charles River - Malvern is for you. In order to advance it is a war of attrition. You just have to stick it out long enough for those above you to leave. That is how most of the management was chosen. Needless to say this doesn't lead to the most qualified people calling the shots.

My typical work day consists of lab work or data. The job itself is fine. I enjoy lab work. It is everything else that is a problem. It is not being able to make necessary changes. Not being able to use new equipment for years because no one can validate it. Recording everything on paper in the computer age (no LIMS for us). Not being able to squeeze any investment into the site even after our best year ever. Not getting a key card to get in the building until after 3 weeks of working (this is standard practice. It happens to all new hires). Not having a login for the network until after 2 weeks even though you have to read training SOPs on the computer (really makes new hires feel welcome). This is just the tip of the iceberg. The other things you would have to work there to understand. And don't even get me started on the training.

I will sum this up by paraphrasing what I recently heard a manager at my site say to someone. "We have a great group of people here that work hard and are under appreciated and under compensated for what they do." He is right. Now consider this is coming from management and he still can't do anything about it. Welcome to my world.
Pros
Ice Cream every other week during the summer. Option of doing 4 10 hour days during the summer.
Cons
Low pay. Soviet like bureaucracy. Apathetic management.