Charles River Laboratories Employee Reviews in United States

Working condotions are not ergonomically good
Technician (Former Employee) –  Willmington MAJuly 15, 2016
Management needs improvement supervisor, are not trained , ergonomically not good working conditions.
I cleaned cages for lab mice, feed them.
Pros
Nice coworkers to work with.
Cons
Supervisors are not profesionals
Great work environment with cooked up management
Data Engineer (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAJuly 15, 2016
Human resources are very rude. They doesn't care about you.
They always try to manipulate you. work environment is really great I have seen great people with lots of wisdom, knowledge and still down to earth.
Very professional work environment.
Inventory Clerk (Former Employee) –  Shrewsbury, MAJune 2, 2016
I was in charge of ordering and distributing lab supplies on a daily basis.
I learned a lot about all the different vendors being used.
The management team was great and I needed minimal supervision.
My co-workers were very professional, courteous and knowledgeable about the supplies that they needed.
The hardest part of the job was taking inventory on a quarterly basis.
The most enjoyable was being trusted to run the supply lab with minimal supervision.
Pros
Great hours; great pay and great benefits.
Cons
Lots of meetings.
very productive and nonstop working
Animal Care Technician 1 (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, MAMay 16, 2016
typical work day was very fast pace and nonstop working, constantly doing some type of work, never a dull moment. Great co-workers. most enjoyable part of the job was overall working with all of the animals.
Brilliant company!
Communications Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, MAMarch 29, 2016
Incredibly thankful for the opportunities here so far! This company has saved countless lives and I am blessed to be a part of it.
Good training, poor pay.
Senior In Vivo Technologist (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, MAMarch 22, 2016
This company's research services arm (about half the business) is predicated on the business model of doing contract science for cheaper than companies can do it in-house. Given this, they are willing to take inexperienced scientists and train them, getting in return cheap labor for their experiments.
This is worthwhile for somebody fresh out of college without a contact somewhere and looking for experience. Their training is actually pretty good, but there is little opportunity for advancement, so expect to put in a couple years and then move on.
Pros
Training
Cons
Poor pay, contract science
Excellent Company
Sales/ Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCMarch 17, 2016
Charles River is an excellent company to work for. Employees are treated with respect no matter what your job title. I worked for Charles River for 15 years and the company was like my 2nd family. I highly recommend working for this company.
Benefits
Enjoyable company to work for
Manager, Plant Engineering (Former Employee) –  Frederick, MDMarch 13, 2016
A good company to work for but little opportunity for advancement. Operates very lean. Doesn't place an emphasis on maintenance and engineering unless there is an issue.
Pros
Flexible hours.
Cons
Poor leadership
Wonderful place to work!!
Senior Laboratory Associate (Former Employee) –  Shrewsbury, MAMarch 6, 2016
I loved working here! I got to do a little bit of everything and the benefits were great. I had numerous opportunities to learn and advance in my career. I wish I was still there.
Very stressful work environment
Animal Care Technician III (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVFebruary 8, 2016
A typical day would be checking on all of the laboratory animals in morning rounds. If any animals needed treatment then that would come first. I learned a lot about non-human primates by behavior. I also learned how involved an actual study can take. The animals were not abused, or mistreated. I have seen more animal cruelty with domestic pets than research animals. Management was okay, they did have a lot of FAVORITES. The best part of the job was Human Interaction and Environmental Enrichment with the non-human primates on a daily basis.
Pros
See the miracle of a positive medical study get FDA appoved
Cons
Hard work
Easy but very repetitive
Site Clerk (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVFebruary 3, 2016
Working at Charles River has a lot of benefits, but a lot of it drawbacks as well. I can say that the culture is great and the people are very nice, but the job is very repetitive and sometimes boring. The pay is descent, but there is no incentive to get more income. A typical day at work for a site clerk includes doing a lot of boring Standard Operating Procedures (SOP's), cleaning rooms, and a lot of other boring stuff. I would suggest working for a company that better values their employees and the hard work they put in.
Pros
No clocking in/out, hour lunch, working with animals.
Cons
No flexibility in scheduling, long hours, repetitive, and boring.
Productive place to learn
research technician (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, MADecember 1, 2015
Early start, very busy fast pase environment, many people get injure over time. Supportive management, enjoyed the diversity and camaraderie of co workers.
Pros
Paid training
Cons
overworked
This was a wonderful opportunity!
Cage Wash Tech I (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PANovember 6, 2015
The highest management of the field I worked in seemed to be struggling successfully running the facility. The managers that worked the floor were great though. They did everything they could to make the facility run smoothly. Work was fast paced, you got a good lunch break, and the managers were compassionate.
good and bad
Lab Technician/Animal CareTaker (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GANovember 5, 2015
All depends on the operations manager.in boston the operations manager checked on the employees . the one in Atlanta the only time you hear from them is if they are trying to get you fired.
Good place to work for College graduates just starting out in the job market
Document Control Specialist I and Archivist (Current Employee) –  Malvern PAOctober 22, 2015
I feel that training is a weak point and advancement is difficult.

I put in long hours to support the scientists and managers but supplying the necessary paperwork they need to perform their job
Pros
People are very friendly
Cons
Low pay
management
Production Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Portage, MIOctober 21, 2015
great company to work for, supportive from the top down. Great benefits and promoting employees from within to help advance the product and services.
Pros
great benefits, great colleagues
Life-saving work
Principal, Enterprise Data Architecture (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, MAOctober 16, 2015
CRL is a leading research organization responsible for many life-saving drugs currently on the market. IT has some exceptional individuals, but the governance is lacking. CRL's business model is based on acquiring smaller companies world-wide, but as a result their Data, Application, Process and Technology infrastructure is highly fragmented.
fun place to work.
Lab Technician, Seasonal/Temporary (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCSeptember 16, 2015
seasonal work. I learned how to draw blood from horseshoe crabs in the sake of scientific research. It was an very rewarding job. Condition were warm/hot, but it was what I signed up for. My manager was very nice and he cared for his employees rewarding us with an appreciation cookout towards the end of bleeding season.
Middle of Nowhere
Project Coordinator II (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, MASeptember 10, 2015
Good place to use as a stepping stone. Very incestuous place to work, everyone knows everyone and you cannot go out w/o seeing someone from work.
Always something new to learn
Mailroom/Copy Center Clerk (Former Employee) –  Wilmington MaAugust 24, 2015
Working in the corporate office gave me many opportunities to expand my skill set. The mailroom was a new job for me and I enjoyed all the challenges that it presented. Within a few years we grew the office to a well respected copy center as well; incorporating many new machines. The staff was small and we worked closely to ensure all our customers needs were met. Work days started with checking all machines and placing any service calls, delivering shipments from office supplier to departments within executive building, sorting and delivering mail through out the campus of 20 buildings, and dealing with the print jobs as they were requested. Truly loved this job and its constant diversity of task/challenges.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Charles River Laboratories. Our community is ready to answer.

Charles River Laboratories Reviews by Location