Charles River Laboratories

Charles River Laboratories Employee Reviews

Very poor workplace
Senior Technologist (Former Employee), Wilmington, MAJuly 5, 2015
mediocre workplace dynamics at best. Just a boring rat and mouse farm with no hope of advancement. Forget about it. Don't even think about it.
Great place to start
DC, PA, NJ, MA and MD (Former Employee), Frederick, MDJune 29, 2015
It is a great place to start your career but can stagnant if you stay with the company too long. Contract for some incredible people. Depending on how you spend your time on a typical work day you can learn a ton of information.
Great Place to work, good people, great benefits
Surgeon (Former Employee), Raleigh, NCMay 21, 2015
Pros: greatbenefits, transfers available all over the world
Cons: Would have preferred to have a supervisor in surgery who had surgical experience
Charles River is a great place to work with great benefits. Many employees in the surgery department are very skilled and dedicated.
The work done is important for medical research and is treated respectfully. I enjoyed completing my tasks with the company.
hours
Research Technician I (Current Employee), Horsham, PAMay 1, 2015
the hours are not the greatest and I don't suggest any one who wants a life out side of work to work there. it is very stressful and impossible to get a promotion
Company full of hard workers
Necropsy Technician II (Former Employee), Horsham, PaApril 17, 2015
Very long hours with tons of over time opportunities. Typical day is 8-4:30 but most of the time you work longer than that.
Mismanaged site within a decent company
Analytical Chemisty Technician II (Current Employee), Malvern, PAApril 13, 2015
Pros: Ice Cream every other week during the summer. Option of doing 4 10 hour days during the summer.
Cons: Low pay. Soviet like bureaucracy. Apathetic management.
If working in an Orwellian 1984 like dystopia is your vision of an ideal workplace then Charles River - Malvern is for you. In order to advance it is a war of attrition. You just have to stick it out long enough for those above you to leave. That is how most of the management was chosen. Needless to say this doesn't lead to the most qualified people calling the shots.

My typical work day consists of lab work or data. The job itself is fine. I enjoy lab work. It is everything else that is a problem. It is not being able to make necessary changes. Not being able to use new equipment for years because no one can validate it. Recording everything on paper in the computer age (no LIMS for us). Not being able to squeeze any investment into the site even after our best year ever. Not getting a key card to get in the building until after 3 weeks of working (this is standard practice. It happens to all new hires). Not having a login for the network until after 2 weeks even though you have to read training SOPs on the computer (really makes new hires feel welcome). This is just the tip of the iceberg. The other things you would have to work there to understand. And don't even get me started on the training.

I will sum this up by paraphrasing what I recently heard a manager at my site say to someone. "We have a great group of people here that work hard and are under appreciated and under compensated for what they do." He is right. Now consider this is coming from management and he still can't do anything about it. Welcome to my world.
for the position i worked it was impossible to move up within the company
Security Guard/Shipping (Former Employee), Hollister, CAMarch 27, 2015
Pros: Paid lunches, benefits(health, college tuition, 401K, )
Cons: For the position their was no room for advancement.
Secure the facility
Make sure that the rooms are up to specs
Print and distribute shipping labels
keep people out and let employees and visitors in.
Day to Day is very busy, employees are appreciated and we have good benefits.
Archive Associate (Current Employee), Horsham, PAFebruary 4, 2015
Pros: there are seasonal efforts to bring employees together - ice cream every other week all summer, chili cook off and the opportunity to do a social one day service in your community
Cons: the physical aspect of the position is not always well addressed.
Typical day in a preclinical Archive includes shipping materials, discarding materials, day to day requests from in house and external Sponsors, To facilitate a shipment, the materials need to be located, pulled, inspected,if necessary, prepared for shipping (both hazardous materials and non hazardous materials).
I've come to appreciate that medicines don't get to market without adequate testing to prove the effectiveness and safety of the product.
I have found the management to be available and my co workers are an excellent hardworking team.
The physical aspect of the job can be wearing. Multiple Archive spaces measuring 8,000 square feet require climbing stairs, moving multiple boxes weighing upwards of 35-45 lbs.
The preclinical business is fascinating and my colleagues make the day a good experience.
Really good benefits the job just wasn't right for me
Animal Care Technician (Former Employee), Chicago, ILJanuary 26, 2015
Commuting back and forth from Indiana to Chicago made things hard and when I got to work there was more labor intensive tasks than I planned to handle. It was too labor intensive for me. The people there are very nice though and it's a decent work environment.
I liked working for Charles River Laboratories a lot
Senior Surgeon (Former Employee), Portage, MIJanuary 21, 2015
I skillfully conduct elaborate medical procedures and treatment on laboratory animals. Diligently instruct junior personnel in surgical operations. Continueally monitor animal condition and health status. Produce detailed reports on all activities and manage documentation. Achieve and maintain sanitary, organized work areas and operation suites. Regularly gather biological samples for testing and conduct laboratory evaluations. Pack and ship products, including documentation of parcels.
A great job
Research Technician I (Former Employee), Spencerville, OHJanuary 7, 2015
Pros: learning new thing
Cons: long hours, holiday, and weekend
With this job I learned alot. We worked in drug development and I work with animals. The people were great to work with.
work load changed everyday
packer (Former Employee), Portage, MIDecember 30, 2014
To come to work and challenge myself to see how efficient and accurately i could do my job.
Pay is satisfactory.
Non Human Primate Technician (Current Employee), Philadelphia, PADecember 11, 2014
The CHOP staff is very team oriented.
Our team has earned the trust of the CHOP staff.
Our team has won awards every year.
Lots of physical work with great benefits
Animal Barrier Technician (Former Employee), Frederick, MDNovember 3, 2014
On your feet for about 9 hours everyday. I learned a lot of laboratory terminology, as well as animal husbandry procedures. Lots of room to grow, and everyone works together very well. The barrier does get very hot and you can't get a drink unless you exit the entire barrier. The best part of the job was the paid vacation, sick time and benefits. The pay wasn't bad either.
good experience
Animal Care Tech II, III (Former Employee), Shrewsbury, MAOctober 26, 2014
Pros: good benefits
Cons: non
good place to work for
good management
good co-worker
good place to learn new skills
extraordinary company to be a part of
Lab Assistant II/ClinPath Tech II (Former Employee), Reno, NVOctober 17, 2014
Pros: great benefits and great people to work with
Cons: long hours at times
this was my greatest experience i my career, i learned so many things and participated in very important work that one day will make a difference in somebodys life.....
Great Place
Division Manager (Former Employee), Redfield, AROctober 8, 2014
Loved working here! Learned an emormous amount about Management and Leadership
A Great place to work for.
Animal Care Technician (Former Employee), Portage, MIOctober 3, 2014
Pros: the bennifits were great.
Cons: they closed the plant to soon.
My day was filled with things changing on the spur of the moment. I learned a lot about the product we worked with. Had I not worked here I would have never learned any of it. The hardest part of the job would be the cleaning. Required a lot of lifting and bending. The finishing end of the product was all worth it thou.
A glorified Temp Agency
Animal Care Technician (Former Employee), 210 Main Street, Cambridge, MASeptember 4, 2014
Pros: free work shoes
Cons: disorganized
Charles River Labs seems more like a staffing agency than anything else. Very unorganized. Once I finally started my job, it took over a month for me to sign up for my Benefits. It was difficult to get the issue resolved. There was very little actual training.No one seemed to know what was going on. I was told I "wasn't a good fit for the company" without being told what I needed to improve upon.
Good pay and option for overtime
Lab Technician (Former Employee), Charleston, SCAugust 28, 2014
Pros: overtime was available
Cons: short breaks
A typical work day included prepping the lab at 6:00 am for horseshoe crabs. The horseshoe crabs are brought in and we sterilize equipment and crab for blood to be taken. The blood is transferred to the lab for further washing.

1 2 3 4

About Charles River Laboratories

Chickens and rats have an important part to play in Charles River Laboratories International's specialty portfolio of medical – Read more

Charles River Laboratories Salaries