Charles River Laboratories Employee Reviews in United States

Middle of Nowhere
Project Coordinator II (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, MASeptember 10, 2015
Good place to use as a stepping stone. Very incestuous place to work, everyone knows everyone and you cannot go out w/o seeing someone from work.
Always something new to learn
Mailroom/Copy Center Clerk (Former Employee) –  Wilmington MaAugust 24, 2015
Working in the corporate office gave me many opportunities to expand my skill set. The mailroom was a new job for me and I enjoyed all the challenges that it presented. Within a few years we grew the office to a well respected copy center as well; incorporating many new machines. The staff was small and we worked closely to ensure all our customers needs were met. Work days started with checking all machines and placing any service calls, delivering shipments from office supplier to departments within executive building, sorting and delivering mail through out the campus of 20 buildings, and dealing with the print jobs as they were requested. Truly loved this job and its constant diversity of task/challenges.
Secure Job, ok salary, terrible benefits
Senior Molecular Technologist Mass Spectrometry (Current Employee) –  Newark, DEAugust 14, 2015
I love what I do and the people I work with, however, there is no room for advancement, the managers are poorly trained, and the benefits are terrible. It's great if you're looking for something temporary, but not a place I would recommend for a long term job.
Team Work
Technical Operations (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVJuly 9, 2015
Accurately collect, record, and report electronic data gained in studies by performing physical exams, monitoring food consumption, measuring body weights, assisting with ophthalmology exams, and assist in treatment for various conditions
Responsible for the handling of animals during clinical observations, sample collection, animal husbandry; receive animals (general health observation, sexing, and identification) of all species, and provide care for all laboratory animals on site.
Perform computer input, read basic study protocols and extract pertinent information, review documentation of functions performed as part of quality control requirements,
Administer dosing test article OG/NG/IV/SC/IM, collecting blood samples, ECGs, clinical observations, post-dosing observations, and other duties assigned.
Pros
making a difference in peoples lives
Cons
side affects of drugs
Best job ever!
Laboratory Supervisor/Technician (Former Employee) –  Shrewsbury, MAJuly 6, 2015
I thoroughly enjoyed working there. I learned so many things. Definitely room to grow, move up, try different things, cross train. Benefits -great. Can't say enough good about the place.
Pros
Plenty of advancement and training opportunities.
Cons
Some management were not good, very fast paced sometimes stressful.
Very poor workplace
Senior Technologist (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, MAJuly 5, 2015
mediocre workplace dynamics at best. Just a boring rat and mouse farm with no hope of advancement. Forget about it. Don't even think about it.
Great place to start
DC, PA, NJ, MA and MD (Former Employee) –  Frederick, MDJune 29, 2015
It is a great place to start your career but can stagnant if you stay with the company too long. Contract for some incredible people. Depending on how you spend your time on a typical work day you can learn a ton of information.
Great Place to work, good people, great benefits
Surgeon (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCMay 21, 2015
Charles River is a great place to work with great benefits. Many employees in the surgery department are very skilled and dedicated.
The work done is important for medical research and is treated respectfully. I enjoyed completing my tasks with the company.
Pros
greatbenefits, transfers available all over the world
Cons
Would have preferred to have a supervisor in surgery who had surgical experience
hours
Research Technician I (Current Employee) –  Horsham, PAMay 1, 2015
the hours are not the greatest and I don't suggest any one who wants a life out side of work to work there. it is very stressful and impossible to get a promotion
Company full of hard workers
Necropsy Technician II (Former Employee) –  Horsham, PaApril 17, 2015
Very long hours with tons of over time opportunities. Typical day is 8-4:30 but most of the time you work longer than that.
Mismanaged site within a decent company
Analytical Chemisty Technician II (Current Employee) –  Malvern, PAApril 13, 2015
If working in an Orwellian 1984 like dystopia is your vision of an ideal workplace then Charles River - Malvern is for you. In order to advance it is a war of attrition. You just have to stick it out long enough for those above you to leave. That is how most of the management was chosen. Needless to say this doesn't lead to the most qualified people calling the shots.

My typical work day consists of lab work or data. The job itself is fine. I enjoy lab work. It is everything else that is a problem. It is not being able to make necessary changes. Not being able to use new equipment for years because no one can validate it. Recording everything on paper in the computer age (no LIMS for us). Not being able to squeeze any investment into the site even after our best year ever. Not getting a key card to get in the building until after 3 weeks of working (this is standard practice. It happens to all new hires). Not having a login for the network until after 2 weeks even though you have to read training SOPs on the computer (really makes new hires feel welcome). This is just the tip of the iceberg. The other things you would have to work there to understand. And don't even get me started on the training.

I will sum this up by paraphrasing what I recently heard a manager at my site say to someone. "We have a great group of people here that work hard and are under appreciated and under compensated for what they do." He is right. Now consider this is coming from management and he still can't do anything about it. Welcome to my world.
Pros
Ice Cream every other week during the summer. Option of doing 4 10 hour days during the summer.
Cons
Low pay. Soviet like bureaucracy. Apathetic management.
for the position i worked it was impossible to move up within the company
Security Guard/Shipping (Former Employee) –  Hollister, CAMarch 27, 2015
Secure the facility
Make sure that the rooms are up to specs
Print and distribute shipping labels
keep people out and let employees and visitors in.
Pros
Paid lunches, benefits(health, college tuition, 401K, )
Cons
For the position their was no room for advancement.
Day to Day is very busy, employees are appreciated and we have good benefits.
Archive Associate (Current Employee) –  Horsham, PAFebruary 4, 2015
Typical day in a preclinical Archive includes shipping materials, discarding materials, day to day requests from in house and external Sponsors, To facilitate a shipment, the materials need to be located, pulled, inspected,if necessary, prepared for shipping (both hazardous materials and non hazardous materials).
I've come to appreciate that medicines don't get to market without adequate testing to prove the effectiveness and safety of the product.
I have found the management to be available and my co workers are an excellent hardworking team.
The physical aspect of the job can be wearing. Multiple Archive spaces measuring 8,000 square feet require climbing stairs, moving multiple boxes weighing upwards of 35-45 lbs.
The preclinical business is fascinating and my colleagues make the day a good experience.
Pros
there are seasonal efforts to bring employees together - ice cream every other week all summer, chili cook off and the opportunity to do a social one day service in your community
Cons
the physical aspect of the position is not always well addressed.
Really good benefits the job just wasn't right for me
Animal Care Technician (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 26, 2015
Commuting back and forth from Indiana to Chicago made things hard and when I got to work there was more labor intensive tasks than I planned to handle. It was too labor intensive for me. The people there are very nice though and it's a decent work environment.
I liked working for Charles River Laboratories a lot
Senior Surgeon (Former Employee) –  Portage, MIJanuary 21, 2015
I skillfully conduct elaborate medical procedures and treatment on laboratory animals. Diligently instruct junior personnel in surgical operations. Continueally monitor animal condition and health status. Produce detailed reports on all activities and manage documentation. Achieve and maintain sanitary, organized work areas and operation suites. Regularly gather biological samples for testing and conduct laboratory evaluations. Pack and ship products, including documentation of parcels.
A great job
Research Technician I (Former Employee) –  Spencerville, OHJanuary 7, 2015
With this job I learned alot. We worked in drug development and I work with animals. The people were great to work with.
Pros
learning new thing
Cons
long hours, holiday, and weekend
work load changed everyday
packer (Former Employee) –  Portage, MIDecember 30, 2014
To come to work and challenge myself to see how efficient and accurately i could do my job.
Pay is satisfactory.
Non Human Primate Technician (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PADecember 11, 2014
The CHOP staff is very team oriented.
Our team has earned the trust of the CHOP staff.
Our team has won awards every year.
Lots of physical work with great benefits
Animal Barrier Technician (Former Employee) –  Frederick, MDNovember 3, 2014
On your feet for about 9 hours everyday. I learned a lot of laboratory terminology, as well as animal husbandry procedures. Lots of room to grow, and everyone works together very well. The barrier does get very hot and you can't get a drink unless you exit the entire barrier. The best part of the job was the paid vacation, sick time and benefits. The pay wasn't bad either.
good experience
Animal Care Tech II, III (Former Employee) –  Shrewsbury, MAOctober 26, 2014
good place to work for
good management
good co-worker
good place to learn new skills
Pros
good benefits
Cons
non

Charles River Laboratories Reviews by Location