Charles River Laboratories Employee Reviews

Lacking good management and individual growth potential
Senior Marketing Specialist (Current Employee) –  Newark, DEMarch 2, 2017
While the flex schedule of working remotely has offered tremendous work / life balance, the inability to realistically plan goals, and grow within my career, in addition to poor management, is of concern. Direct managers are extremely disconnected from the employees and offer zero benefit for succession planning.
Pros
Flexible schedule, work remote option
Cons
lack of succession planning, lack in career growth and opportunity
best place i ever worked!
Laboratory Research Technician (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVFebruary 27, 2017
There is literally nothing bad i could say about charles river lab, except some not so desirable coworkers, but what job does not have them!
Charles Rivers Laboratories
Research Associate II - Formulations (Current Employee) –  Reno, NVFebruary 23, 2017
As an employee of the smallest department on site, our roll in the process of drug development seems severely underrated and over looked. To the point where the CEO has traveled to speak at the site and individual touches on the affect of each department on the companies successes of that year except for yours.This is saddening because none of the drugs could even be tested without our department. Although the company does great things and they give great benefits to their employees, it is not quite enough to counteract the fact that the individuals interacting with the client have no idea if the personnel actually performing the physical tasks have the time or resources to take on another study. So just like any other company they say Yes to everyone without any regard for the people actually performing the work and it is overwhelming. This is just like any other major company yes, but in our line of work being detail orientated and extremely focused is very important and it is hard to focus when you have 12 people asking you about 60 other projects from unrelated clients with completely different products to test.
Pros
Good benefits, nice people, will hire college grads
Cons
not much room for improvement, interdepartmental relationships not good
The Starbucks of genetic Testing
Technologist (Current Employee) –  Wilmington, MAFebruary 3, 2017
There is no career path from entry level positions to higher levels of the company. 2 months ago they told us they would start considering to pay us better in about 6 months... Work is boring but relatively easy and the people are nice.
Pros
Friendly staff
Cons
Bad pay, very little to no promotions
Excellent place to work
Senuor Veterinary Pathologist (Current Employee) –  Reno, NVDecember 14, 2016
Great location in the West close to mountains and hiking. Excellent friendly staff, strong work ethic, professional, strong science
Pros
Strong science
Unfair company
Animal Care Specialist (Former Employee) –  Frederick, MDNovember 26, 2016
If you like working for a company that is like a natzi camp then this is for you. They like to knock you down, not build you up. This has to be the worse company in my career to have worked for.
over worked short stafed
Technician one (Current Employee) –  Stone Ridge, NYOctober 18, 2016
This job was amazing at first over the last year it has been going down hill. Management don't care that you are over worked and hurting as long as everyones work is done in time. Most the time you don't even get lunch because you are so behind because each room in down 1-2 people but the work still has to get done.
Poor environment
Animal Care Technician (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 5, 2016
There is little to no break time. Your daily objectives will take the full 8 hours with little to no human interaction. You are standing and walking all day.
Lab Technician II (Current Employee) –  Willimantic, CTSeptember 15, 2016
Productive day at work, friendly coworkers.
Hardest part was the early hours and the commute
The most enjoyable part of the job is to learn new things every day
Wonderful
Tech I­ Associate Production Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCSeptember 8, 2016
I worked with this company for 11 years. It was the best time of my life. We started with 10 employees back in 1998 and grew to over 100 or more at the site where I was employed. We worked hard and teamwork was always present. We were well compensated, had wonderful parties and award ceremonies. I went from a tech to an associate supervisor in my time there. I learned about how horseshoe crabs save lives and gained a lot of respect from my peers for my dedication to the company.
Pros
Family like environment
Cons
N/a
Great company to get experience in teratology
Pathology Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Horsham, PAAugust 23, 2016
This is a good company for a employee straight out of college looking to get experience in the field of teratology. They have a diverse study design available.
Great place to gain experience
Biologist (Current Employee) –  Ashland, OHAugust 12, 2016
Good job to work straight out of college. Gain experience and make good working relationships with co-workers. A lot of overtime offered. Task oriented schedules help to sharpen time management skills.
Working condotions are not ergonomically good
Technician (Former Employee) –  Willmington MAJuly 15, 2016
Management needs improvement supervisor, are not trained , ergonomically not good working conditions.
I cleaned cages for lab mice, feed them.
Pros
Nice coworkers to work with.
Cons
Supervisors are not profesionals
Great work environment with cooked up management
Data Engineer (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAJuly 15, 2016
Human resources are very rude. They doesn't care about you.
They always try to manipulate you. work environment is really great I have seen great people with lots of wisdom, knowledge and still down to earth.
Very professional work environment.
Inventory Clerk (Former Employee) –  Shrewsbury, MAJune 2, 2016
I was in charge of ordering and distributing lab supplies on a daily basis.
I learned a lot about all the different vendors being used.
The management team was great and I needed minimal supervision.
My co-workers were very professional, courteous and knowledgeable about the supplies that they needed.
The hardest part of the job was taking inventory on a quarterly basis.
The most enjoyable was being trusted to run the supply lab with minimal supervision.
Pros
Great hours; great pay and great benefits.
Cons
Lots of meetings.
very productive and nonstop working
Animal Care Technician 1 (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, MAMay 16, 2016
typical work day was very fast pace and nonstop working, constantly doing some type of work, never a dull moment. Great co-workers. most enjoyable part of the job was overall working with all of the animals.
Brilliant company!
Communications Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, MAMarch 29, 2016
Incredibly thankful for the opportunities here so far! This company has saved countless lives and I am blessed to be a part of it.
Good training, poor pay.
Senior In Vivo Technologist (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, MAMarch 22, 2016
This company's research services arm (about half the business) is predicated on the business model of doing contract science for cheaper than companies can do it in-house. Given this, they are willing to take inexperienced scientists and train them, getting in return cheap labor for their experiments.
This is worthwhile for somebody fresh out of college without a contact somewhere and looking for experience. Their training is actually pretty good, but there is little opportunity for advancement, so expect to put in a couple years and then move on.
Pros
Training
Cons
Poor pay, contract science
Excellent Company
Sales/ Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCMarch 17, 2016
Charles River is an excellent company to work for. Employees are treated with respect no matter what your job title. I worked for Charles River for 15 years and the company was like my 2nd family. I highly recommend working for this company.
Benefits
Enjoyable company to work for
Manager, Plant Engineering (Former Employee) –  Frederick, MDMarch 13, 2016
A good company to work for but little opportunity for advancement. Operates very lean. Doesn't place an emphasis on maintenance and engineering unless there is an issue.
Pros
Flexible hours.
Cons
Poor leadership

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Charles River Laboratories. Our community is ready to answer.

Charles River Laboratories Reviews by Location