Charles River Laboratories

Charles River Laboratories Employer Reviews

Productive and friendly workplace environment
Technologist (Current Employee), Portage, MIFebruary 9, 2014
Charles River has taught me how to face challenges when working in a fast paced production environment. The Management team is always willing to help the employees.
Productive and Comfortable workplace
Senior Lab Technologist (Current Employee), Wilmington, MAJanuary 15, 2014
It is a good place to work where I have acquired a lot of skills
Project Manager/Senior Analytical Research Chemist
Project Manager/Senior Analytical Research Chemist (Former Employee), Horsham, PAJanuary 9, 2014
Managed analytical studies (GLP) for pharmaceutical clients
Method development and validation
Coordinated stability testing.
Supervised and trained analytical technicians performing project work.
Reviewed and released analytical study data.
Installed additional HPLCs to increase sample throughput capabilities.
Troubleshooting, maintenance and repair – more... of HPLC, GC and UV-Vis instruments.
Wrote SOP’s, protocols, analytical methods, study deviations and final reports.
Performed OOS and OOT investigations and addressed study audits.
Performed analytical testing of pharmaceutical samples.
Received a promotion. – less
Productive and fun place to work.
Lab Technician (Former Employee), Raleigh, NCOctober 24, 2013
Pros: paid lunch and people that care
Cons: cannot leave for your lunch or breaks
Excellent company to work for. I would go back any day! The job is very physical and you will work but that is a good thing to me. The company offers affordable bennefits and ample amounts of time off for whatever reason. If you treat them right, they will do the same.
Administrative Assistant/Data Entry Specialist
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Bethesda, MDOctober 15, 2013
Pros: research of different studies
Cons: contractor
Contracting Human resources front office, aiding in screening prospective applicants at NIH Campus, ordering animals for research for NHLBI, coordinating correspondences to different government agencies on Campus. Monitoring employment background clearance status
Great work environment, great managers, projects and day to day activities are fun and challenging.
Business Analyst / IT Administrator (Current Employee), Wilmington, MAOctober 14, 2013
Pros: great work environment, great managers, i can stay late to catch up and/or get ahead
Cons: this is a contract position that will not become full time
Days are very packed at Charles River. There are always a lot of projects or activities going on which is good because there is never a dull moment and there is always something to do. If I get to a point in a project where I'm waiting on someone else, or an order to go through, I can put it on hold and pick up on another. One of my responsibilities – more... is to take quotes that managers get, place orders, get a purchase order numbers from purchasing department, confirm order with vendor, track shipment, receive the shipment, both physically and in the company system, enter new items into inventory, confirm pricing on vendor invoice and ensure accounting department pays vendor invoices. This is a daily activity and on any given day, there are a few open at various stages.

While at Charles River, I have learned a great deal about project management, computer networking, collaborating with all departments to ensure seamless operations and improving systems to maximize effectiveness. Additionally, I have improved my skills in evaluating business decisions, financial analysis and vendor relationships.

My managers are great and I really enjoy working with them. I was brought on to help them with their responsibilities working as Directors of Network Operations and Infrastructure. They took the time to introduce me to new processes, concepts and tasks. It didn't take long for them to trust me on my own and put me on projects where I was the primary point of contact. I have a great working relationship with my managers and they treat me as they treat other directors and senior level managers. – less
Productive, Engaging work environment
Intern (Former Employee), Wilmington, MAOctober 8, 2013
My time at Charles River has been great. Management within the IT department has always been very encouraging and supportive, while keeping everyone on task. No one in the office is stand offish or negative, everyone always had a positive attitude. This really helped me gain some experience while still remaining comfortable gaining the experience.
Technician (Former Employee), Bethesda, MDOctober 1, 2013
I was working Monday to Friday every morning. I was happy working for the company.
Very Productive Working Place
Administrative Assistant III/Contractor (Current Employee), Germantown, MDSeptember 4, 2013
Love the experience that I received.
Government contractor
Great management
Hard to work with a group 2500 mile away
Comprehensive Clinical Development (Former Employee), Tacoma, WAAugust 27, 2013
Pros: they are very good to there employees
Cons: trying to run a new business for them 2500 mile away was hard
Although they were very good in the area of animals. They had problems in the area of human testing
fun, educational and great people
CRT (Former Employee), Germantown, MDAugust 27, 2013
I was a CRT in Germantown, MD but worked at NIH in Bethesda, MD.
I worked with the aquatic specialists there taking care of zebrafish and frogs. My co-workers were great, fun and excellent trainers. The hardest part of the job was the drive to NIH, it took me sometimes almost 2 hours to get to work. The most enjoyable was taking care of animals and – more... the group of people I worked with. – less
Technician/animal technician
research tech. asst./animal care tech (Former Employee), Spencerville, OhioAugust 22, 2013
Pros: benefits, pay and lifelong friends.
Cons: advancing people that may not be as worthy as someone else.
I started there with the intent on retiring from there. I had the greatest co-workers! The lab was ran well, but communication became a problem at times. They definitely have their favorites and will advance them. They will treat someone who messes up that they like with less severity than they do others, so advancement can be a difficult task. For – more... some reason they let this one supervisor get away with mistreating and devaluing his personnel.
It is hard work at time, but enjoyable. I loved working there knowing that the research could potentially save lives. I learned a lot while I was there and was sad when I got laid-off. – less
Overall a great entry level position but looking for more advancement opportunities
Security Officer (Current Employee), Wilmginton, MAAugust 16, 2013
Pros: great benefits and close to my place of residence
Cons: not much opportunity for advancement, working lunches
A typical day at work for me is I arrive at work at 2pm, I go to one of our posts which are a mobile patrol officer, guard shack officer or officer at the security command center. The officer at the security command center is the main position, this is where we answer phone calls and direct them to the appropriate person, monitor alarming systems, security – more... systems, environmental systems and investigate and report any incidents. Create badges with the appropriate access and control, montior trucks coming onsite and directing them to the recieving area, write and respond to e-mails. Report all unauthorized persons to proper authorities and initiate action to protect employees, animals, products, and physical site.
Ensure the physical safety and security of the facility by enforcing company policies and procedures; provide a deterrent and detection factor for wrongful activity; and monitors the essential building systems. Document all security department activity and generates incident reports when essential. Directing and assisting in emergency response efforts when necessary and/or contact emergency personnel when required. Greet, screen, record and allow visitors, employees and contractors admittance to the site in agreement with company protocol. Throughout the day I rotate between these three posts then at 7pm each officer begins a patrol which entails physically walking the entire site grounds to complete visual inspection and ensure site is safe for all. Monitor facility equipment during patrols and report equipment failure, reset alarms as instructed.

What I have learned here at Charles River is how to be dependable eyes and ears that the company depends on. Responding to emergencies in a timely and efficient manner and knowing how to help depending on the incident.

My management and co-workers are all great people and do their job to the best of their ability.

The hardest part of my job I would have to say is sometimes having to sit around with not much to do. I don't hate it however I am more of a person that loves to be busy constantly and multi-tasking.

The most enjoyable apart of my job is knowing that I am here to keep people safe and that is a liberating feeling. Interacting with out employees, customers and contractors makes it all worth while.

My job at Charles River is a decent overall job, I dont mind the job duties themself it is very laid back environment. However, I am a person that loves to be challanged and learn new things on a regular basis and I don't feel as if there is much advancement for me where I am at now. My overall goal is to obtain a position in a well established company and to continue my potential to grow and pursue a fulfilling career. – less
it was well ran
lab technician (Former Employee), Charleston, SCAugust 13, 2013
Pros: just enjoyed everything about the company
Cons: it was seasonal
great time with this company, as I worked I learned, work was something you looked forward to.
Good pay and benefits. Corporate culture and values very different from what actually happens at other sites.
HR professional (Former Employee), Portage MIAugust 6, 2013
Overall a good company if you do not work at one of their remote locations. Those locations are managed by people that have been there for decades and think they can do anything they want. They are making a whole bunch of money for doing a whole lot of nothing. Just plain lazy. The real workers are paid good, however, not treated very nicely.
Senior management and co-workers were great to work with.
Human Resources Coordinator (Former Employee), Hollister, CAAugust 2, 2013
Pros: had a wonderful office, great office staff.
Every day worked with supervisors to update and fix time card processing because these were done manually. Follow up on benefits issues; assist manager on a regular basis on employee issues that may include suspension and termination. Interview temporary employees, hire, process the background checks. Process I-9 management, e-verify, new hire orientation – more... and the benefits administration follow up when eligibility occurs. As needed process and submission of workers compensation processing. Assisted and provided safety training at weekly staffing meetings. Assisted in organization of company functions; picnics, holiday gatherings etc. Manage the education reimbursement program. Work with payroll and accounting to gather information as needed to solve issues for employees.

Schedule and manage open benefits enrollment at year end for all site employees. – less
Loved this job. Was gonna stay until I retired.
Brooder (Raise Baby Chickens, 12,000) (Former Employee), Roanoke, ILJuly 17, 2013
Pros: perfect job when my children were young or i had a second job. boss is a great christian man.
Cons: shipping was a hot, heavy lifting job. i have a scar from catching birds in the dark.
I would shower and scrub in. Get dressed into scrubs. Put away any laundry that was in the dryer. Put on gloves, scrub hat, and face mask. Grab a bag & head into the chicken house. I usually had 12,000 baby chicks. I would collect the ones that were dead and cull out the ones that were sickly. I would observe their behavior to see if they were too cold – more... or too warm. If the air flow was correct or the lighting was too bright or dim. Made sure they all had plenty of feed and the water lines were the right height. All the feed motors were to be checked to make sure they were working properly. We made list for supplies. Management was to be notified if anything seemed out of the ordinary. Dusted the air bags and vents in the house. Cleaned the lobby. Put scrubs in the laundry. Showered out and put regular clothes on to go home. – less
Modest success led to closure in a declining economy
Laboratory Technician III (Former Employee), Shrewsbury, MAJuly 13, 2013
Pros: the people (we have a community of sorts on linkedin).
Cons: closure of the shrewsbury, worcester, and southbridge sites.
See review for TSI Mason Laboratories. When TSI Mason was acquired by Genzyme Transgenics, as Primedica, we had good benefits and a teamwork mentality. After Charles River Laboratories acquired Primedica, that mentality and some benefits slowly declined. I do retain a small pension benefit, and I wish the corporation well.
Very hard place to work
Animal Care Technician II (Former Employee), Philadelphia, PAJuly 6, 2013
I learned a lot about animal care for rodents, fish, dogs, pigs and sheep.
A good place to work
Research Technician 1 (Former Employee), Spencerville, OHJune 29, 2013
Pros: medical
Cons: loss of an animals life
I would clean out animal cages and feed them. How showing a little compassion is an amazing thing with animals. The management in the company was very understanding. My co-workers were great people to work with. The hardest part of the job was knowing that after a study was done, so were the animals. I enjoyed working with all the animals.

About Charles River Laboratories

Chickens and rats have an important part to play in Charles River Laboratories International's specialty portfolio of medical – Read more