Charles River Employee Reviews

Excellent employer, low pay
Business Development Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVFebruary 21, 2017
Loved working at Charles River, but low pay and not standing up to other employee abuse. Not taking actions on what abusive employees do to other employees.
Pros
Solid company
Cons
Control of abusive employees
Fascinating place to work
Lab Technician (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCJanuary 12, 2017
This is a great place to learn a new industry. This is a bio chem company that extracts the blood from horse shoe crabs to make a solution to detect contaminated pharmaceuticals before they reach the open market. This product saves the lives of lab rats and rabbits.
Pros
Rewarding work
Cons
The pay is awful
Productive workplace with great benefits and good work ethic
Clinical Pathology Technician II (Current Employee) –  Reno, NVOctober 30, 2016
Charles River Labs is a great company, everyone has a great work ethic and is willing to stay as long as it takes to get the job done, on a daily basis. Everyone is getting along, we are one big company, it is kind of a given to work as a team throughout all departments, we all work hand in hand. Management keeps us focused and always tries to be able to let us grow in our fields.
Very few Pros
Technician Assistant (Former Employee) –  Spencerville, OHSeptember 26, 2016
No work/life balance and always seemed to be short handed. Lots of overtime if you want it but if you don't sign up for it you get looked down upon. They expect you to drop everything and put work over family. Usually working long hours and must Balance multiple studies per technician on weekends. Very stressful job at times, and management does not care about you. The only thing they offer is free food once a month or so. Also, I'm all about teamwork but certain people always get away with not doing their share so you get stuck with more work. Only good thing is decent pay and on the job training! Best thing I did was walk away from the job!
Pros
Occasional free food, decent pay
Cons
Lots of overtime, over worked, no work/family balance
Great Company
Lab Technician (Former Employee) –  Stone Ridge, NYAugust 30, 2016
Monotonous but fast paced. Cleaning, feeding, and care of the animals. Management was very supportive. Family friendly company
Awful no life overtime is manditory
rather not say (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, MAAugust 15, 2016
overtime is expected you will have no life and if you do not do as they do you will be an outcast. Strange place run like the old days.
Pros
good health insurance and time off
Cons
not up to date and you have to conform to there ways
It is a great place to work.
Employee (Current Employee) –  SCJuly 19, 2016
It is a great place to experience the interworkings of the biotek industry. I would recomend this company to anyone. Great summer hours, but difficult to advance no matter your skill level or knowledge.
Awful place to work for
Animal Care Technician (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 11, 2016
If your looking for a job with no real advancements then this is the place for you. If you want to work for a company where they treat you like a slave and when you rest for five minutes you will get fired... Then this is the place for you! The turnover rate is extremely high which should be a good indicator what type of company this is (well at least the Chicago location). The benefits are good but the starting pay might seem good at first but wont go up by much, Micro-managing like crazy!! Also HR is not there to help you at all!! So if you have a harassment complaint dont even bother going through HR.. you will end up getting fired or blamed for it!!! AWFUL place to work!
benefits
Cons
everything else
Great Place to work!
Cage Washer/Husbandry (Former Employee) –  Bethesda, MDJune 8, 2016
Charles River is great to work for not only is that pay great but the benefits and the growth level with the company is great! They promote withing the company before they look out ward for new employees.
Pros
Pay Vacation Benefits Hours
Cons
Short Breaks
Meh it's okay.
Study support associate (Current Employee) –  Boston maMay 26, 2016
Like any job there a pros and cons. My manager is the worst and we never see him because our jobs are contracted out to a large pharmaceutical company. Everytime I have a question I need to CC his boss on my emails to get him to respond. The pay is decent, health insurance is meh. I have better jobs and but this not the worst. That raises are a joke and there are no long term incentives, but you do learn a lot .
Pros
Pay
Cons
Bad manager, poor incentives
Perfect job if you are single and do not have a family
Pathology (Former Employee) –  Spencerville, OHMay 16, 2016
The job was interesting. I learned a lot and enjoyed the work that I did. They pay was decent, however, they overwork you. On any given day when I started my shift I had NO IDEA what time I was getting off of work. You could not leave until the job was complete. Some days this included 12-14 hour shifts. This always depended on case load. I have a family and am married so after while it grew cumbersome and I grew resentful, ultimately leaving the job because I never saw my family. By the time I got home, all i wanted to do was take a shower and go to bed. Very rarely was I able to attend kid sporting events/functions.
Management never understood nor cared about the above. You were herded in and out like cattle.
On the up side. There is opportunity for growth and advancement in this company. They promote from within. If you do not have kids or are married, love soaking up overtime...this would be the PERFECT job!!
Pros
Pay/Benefits/Job Satisfaction
Cons
No time for a real life outside of work/Overworked/Under appreciated by upper management
Best Job I ever had
Chemical operator (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCApril 1, 2015
I learned that all medicines are tested with a powder derived from the horseshoe crabs blue blood. Managers where always in a good mood laughing and telling jokes but the hardest part of the job was working for 12 plus hours a day. But the most enjoyable part was dealing with live animals
Pros
everything
Cons
nothing
HR backs management and allows favoritism
Finance (Former Employee) –  WilmingtonFebruary 26, 2015
Certain managers are allowed to have favorites and limit personal growth. HR supports management and do not understand the system to see how it's flaws can be used against an employee if the manager decides to build a case. Even, when you know you are being set up - it is allowed.
Good Opportunity w/great benefits
Veterinary Technician (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAJanuary 7, 2015
There is a lot of opportunity for growth, development and advancement within the company. The upper management is very supportive and encouraging of the staff. The staff are very welcoming.
Like any other company, it is not perfect and there are always room for improvement.
Hardest years of my life!
Animal Care Technician I (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 25, 2014
To make a long story short, staff is overworked and unappreciated. Although some staff were supportive, this was not the best work environment for myself and others who quit. The pay was literally what kept others there so long. Out of all my jobs, I can honestly say I would never come back here!
Pros
Pay
Cons
Everything else
I have had a chance to learn many new skills here at CRL
Isolator floater technologist (Current Employee) –  Frederick, MDJuly 16, 2014
I would very much like to stay with CRL. CRL has given me some wonderful opportunities to learn new skills and they have supported my interests and education. A typical day at work is busy but rewarding.
Pros
Respect from management, support.
Cons
Short breaks! No employee teams or employee day out anymore.
Great for career minded individual
Veterinary Technician I (Former Employee) –  Rockville, MDFebruary 19, 2014
Great place to get skills and advance!! I worked for Charles River labs for 15 years.
Great benefits and hours
TECHNICIAN 2 (Former Employee) –  400 Park Center DriveFebruary 12, 2014
Charles River, was a interesting and challenging job. I enjoyed the six years I worked there. It was so different from anything I have every done. Working with twenty coworkers taught me how to deal with many types of personalities. It taught me patience and understanding. Breeding mice for the advancement of medical research was rewarding. I love animals, so this made work very enjoyable. The hardest part of this job was leaving. I worked with wonderful co-workers and management.
Pros
Great benefits and flixible work schedules.
Cons
Layoffs
Good experience
Assistant Supervisor of GCIS & Learning Center (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 11, 2013
As an assistant supervisor, you get to deal with people as well as animals ( in my job). I worked in that company for almost 10 years and now I want to move on and up. I did get to recommend treatment ways for sick mice and I did enjoy seeing them get healthier.
Pros
experience
Cons
at times doing your job and the job of those who called in
Just an OK place to work
Animal Care Technician I (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, MASeptember 2, 2013
Some people are smart, professional, and overall nice while my most recent experience as basically been the opposite. As a contractor I work in an environment where people can treat us badly with no repercussions from our host company and no protection from CRL.