Charleston County School District Employee Reviews

Fun Workplace with Staff That Embrace Teamwork however, pay is lousy!!!
Teacher Assistant (Current Employee) –  721 Wappoo Rd, Charleston, SC 29407February 5, 2018
For me working as a Teacher Assistant can be a dream job simply because of the kids' lives that I get to touch and for the amount of teamwork and professionalism that is demonstrated throughout the school. This is honestly the first job that I've been on where I'm not annoyed by the thought of going to work the next day. I truly love what I do despite it being challenging and stressful at times however, even with a college degree the pay is terrible. It almost makes you feel as if going to college wasn't worth it.
Pros
Holiday breaks and Summer off with pay
Cons
Low pay for a stressful job, Very little parental insight and involvement
Great School, Awful District Office
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Charleston, SCJanuary 31, 2018
Charleston County School District is one of the few districts in the state that is not accredited. The superintendent and board are only interested in furthering their own careers at the expense of the teachers and students.
Fun
Applied Behavior Analysis Therapist (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCJanuary 12, 2018
Working for the district is a very rewarding experience and I have learned so much from the staff as well as the students. Everyday going to work gives new meaning to the word "development."
I loved working for the district its just that i had to leave because my husband got transferred
Cafeteria Manager (Former Employee) –  Charelston SCDecember 18, 2017
I Started working for the district because I have been working for the school system for over 20 years and loved it because when my children were little I needed to be there for them.
over all I would go back if I could
Pros
everyone worked together
Cons
didnt really care for upper level management
stressfull at times
STUDENT DATA CLERK (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCDecember 7, 2017
Enjoyed working with the teachers, parents and students. There was not confidentiality when speaking to upper management about your personal life or issues on the job that were not addressed
A great place to work
Special Education Teacher (Current Employee) –  Charleston, SCNovember 28, 2017
On atypical work day I encounter 1500 students and deal with their different personalities and problem solve for the throughout the day. I work wit 105 teachers in the building and collaborate closely with 12 on a daily basis. I mentor new teachers and direct a teacher support group for them. I am chair person of the school climate and culture committee. The most enjoyable part of my job is interacting with the students.
teaching assistant for special needs
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  North Charleston, SCNovember 16, 2017
enjoyable work environment. love working with kids. work with lead teacher to help teach special needs students . teaching tomorrows leaders. teaching life skills to special needs students
Pros
school vacations, good salary
Cons
I had a calling to work with special needs children
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCNovember 14, 2017
Teaching is not a career that provides the benefits or income to successfully support a family if you are the main provider. I had to leave the profession to provide for my family, prepare college funds and develop long term security for my children.
Pros
Working with children
Cons
pay
Fun and Productive
Information Technology Summer Temp (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCNovember 12, 2017
I was a paid summer intern for the information technology firm for Charleston County School District. I mostly worked on upgrading computers to current operating systems.
Unsafe and hostile workplace
Reading Interventionist/Teacher (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCOctober 30, 2017
This school district has a proven track record of unfair practices such as racism, etc. Discipline is not equitable among schools. Many of the schools are Title 1 with little to no support for the teachers and staff.
Pros
Very skilled teachers, good professional development
Cons
Administrators do not support the staff, unsafe workplace

Want to know more about Charleston County School District?

Ask a question
Constant change in leadership
5th Grade Teacher (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCOctober 29, 2017
Lack of support for employees and constant change in leadership led to a very unstable working environment. Poor communication from leadership cause unclear goals and vision for our work.
Very Boring Work
Due Process Clerk (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCOctober 22, 2017
Saw many ways to increase efficiency and assist with workload, but no one appeared interested in improvements. Recommendations were listened to, but never any concrete feedback or changes.
Pros
Self Management
Cons
Communication
Community education
Instructor (Current Employee) –  Charleston, SCSeptember 20, 2017
The Adult community education system set up by CCSD is wonderful. Very robust with many excellent choices by qualified instructors. Very easy to enroll online.
Stressful district
Secretary II (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCSeptember 6, 2017
Stressful district to work in, due to differences between administration and community. Constant turmoil. First 2 years were okay, then the pay cuts started in the form of furloughs and across the board cuts.
Student Concern Specialist
Student Concern Specialist (Current Employee) –  Charleston, SCSeptember 2, 2017
CCSD is a district going through numerous changes with in the last two years. The pay is very low. Hourly employees are only paid for
nine months. There is no room for advancement. Working with children and watching them grow into our future leaders is the only rewards of this job.
Pros
Children
Cons
Paid for only 9 months
great job and work environment
School Nurse RN (Current Employee) –  Charleston, SCAugust 31, 2017
Love my job-- Best nursing job I have ever had and only may leave due to need to relocate.
Staff is great, students are great. Computer documentation works well. Good training program.
Pros
great team
An okay IT experience
IT Field Technician Contractor (Current Employee) –  Charleston, SCAugust 26, 2017
Working at Charleston County School District as an IT Technician can be stressful, especially during August and September. However, the lack of communication between departments and chain of command just makes it worse. The job isn't bad, however it doesn't feel like much advancement is possible.
Pros
Independence
Cons
Poor management, career advancement, stress
Teaching is a difficult job.
Teacher (Former Employee) –  throughout the districtAugust 14, 2017
You must be willing to give everything to the job but the trade off is time off. I have been teaching in many different capacities for 40 years and the demands have changed. The children have made it an awesome career.
Concerned
Homebased/Homebound Teacher (Current Employee) –  Charleston, SCJuly 24, 2017
The Charleston County School District has historically been mismanaged. The teachers are woefully underpaid, over-worked, and are being more and more scrutinized solely based on standardized test scores.
great school district
Intern/Assistant (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCJuly 6, 2017
worked there for a very short time as a intern. I loved all my coworkers! it was a great atmosphere, that gave me a lot of learning opportunities. i love ccsd