Charleston County School District Employee Reviews in United States

Very Productive
Bachelors of Social Work Intern (Current Employee) –  Charleston, SCFebruary 11, 2016
a typical day at the office would be me helping families locate resources that are needed to become more productive members of society. This experience has been the best experience so far since i have been here. I also have had a chance to do a few school visits and a chance to help launch a club for gentlemen of ethnicity. I learned that everything I learned at my internship was real life experience and nothing that could taught out of a book. The experience is only hard if you do not like to be involved and put in the extra work. I really enjoyed my internship because I felt like a real social worker and part of the staff. I kept myself busy with outreach programs such as the Boys Summit which were geared towards young many of ethnicity and how we can raise successful young gentlemen ( the reason i helped launched the club).
Pros
Gained alot of experience on how to facilate large groups
Cons
Internship not real employment
My day at work
Substitute teacher (Current Employee) –  Charleston, SCJanuary 7, 2016
Normally I would arrive to work by 6:45 am. Check in at the front desk to see which room my assignment is in. Get prepared for the students before the first bell rings. After the bell rings I follow the instructions given by the teacher. Typically if I have any issues with the instructions the teachers next door normally pop in and give me a hand. Its the easiest job ever just not enough money or stability.
Pros
Days off, make your own schedule
Cons
no benefits
No respect from "upper management".
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCMarch 23, 2016
From what I understand, most public school districts are difficult to work for, but I found CCSD to be particularly disheartening. There is no respect for teachers and those who are in "management" positions clearly have no regard for those who are "in the trenches" every day.
Adult Education
Adult Education Instructor (Current Employee) –  Charleston, SCApril 14, 2016
The resources alone makes working here amazing, experienced teachers that understand what it takes to keep students involved in the program and wonderful co-workers that you can call anytime if you need something. I love working for Charleston County School District
Pros
Everyone works together
Cons
Notenough hours in a day to get everybody their GED
diversity/great-co-workers
comraderie
some-unhappy-workers
needs/more-training
up-to-date-certifications
Pros
co-workers/diversity/comraderie/training
Cons
lack-of-good-subs/older-workers-don't-enjoy-transitioning/cross-training
Productive and Fun work environment with opportunities for career advancement. One of the best school districts in South Carolina.
Middle School Teacher (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCMarch 2, 2016
Work day times varied upon building, but overall it was a great experience. I had the opportunity to loop with my students from Grades 6 to 8, then switched schools to teach a hands-on Science Curriculum.
Productive. fun, surprising place to work
Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Charleston, SCDecember 9, 2012
My typical work day consist of comimg in greeting everyone picking up the mail, newpaper and checkingthe fax machine and emails then distrubuting them all to proper locations. If there was a meeting I would set up the conference room otherwise I would check in with my supervisor and other staff to see if they required any help with projects as well as find out what events will take place for the day. I would then begin to work on these projects as well as answer the multi-line switchboard for the district. The hardest part of this job was the long hours required on a unscheduled basis. My co-workers and supervisors often made this late schedule more bareable because they are great people. The most enjoyable part of this job was meeting new people and being able to help them.
Pros
access to all school staff, employee discounts, flexibility
Cons
temporary employees do not recieve benefits
Outdated, unreliable district
4th Grade Teacher (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCJuly 9, 2012
This is a good district for a beginning educator or those with families who happen to live in the district and have no choice but to work there. The district itself is very slow and outdated. The salary step has also been on a 6-year freeze, I am a beginning educator and I was making roughly $2000 a month (with taxes, retirement, and benefits taken out) and I have met plenty of veteran teachers who were making the same salary as I was because of the pay freeze. Overall, CCSD is a good district to start off at as a beginning educator as I mentioned, however, with all the budget cuts and issues with this district, I would not recommend it for over two years.
Pros
longer breaks than most districts (i.e. 2 full weeks for christmas), early start date and finish date
Cons
very disorganized district, no consistency, teachers receive very short planning periods and no lunch periods, elementary schools start as early as 6:45 a.m.
Fun Place to Work! Great Flexibility.
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCJuly 23, 2012
I enjoyed working here. The flexibility in hours were excellent. I liked working with different aged groups advancing my experience. I learned meaningful experience from other teachers. I learned excellent classroom management skills. I really enjoyed being a part of school functions and classroom decision making. The pay was good.
Pros
summers off, flexibile hours. worked with desired aged students. advancement in aeducation
Cons
no benefits. not guaranteed work daily.
To much micro-managment over administrators
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Charleston South CarolinaSeptember 20, 2012
The district is too big to be handled by one board. There is no job security for school site based administration.
Administrators at low performing schools are replace far to often and the district does not give them enough room or even trust them enough to implement programs that would work for their individual school. There is far to much micro-management and far to little support.
Pros
dedicated administrators
Cons
not enough pay and poor pay raises.
Team working eviroment relaxed and low stress
HELP DESK TECHNICIAN (Current Employee) –  charleston, scSeptember 3, 2014
Supervisor is flexible and understanding to employee's needs. The overall culture is conducive to sustaining elevated levels of morale.
Pros
ensuring that the students have the necessary services/tools to be productive in school
Cons
compensation, benefits
Challenging...
Lead Teacher of Pre-Kindergarten (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCJanuary 24, 2014
Charleston County Schools have average benefits; however, tend to take more monies out for retirement than they match and that salaries are able to accommodate.

Teaching children is a passion and love that an individual must have to be in this profession. The co-workers were difficult to work with, provided an environment of hostility and team work was non-existent. That was the hardest part of my job. The most enjoyable was teaching.
County wide school district serving a diverse population
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Charleston, SCSeptember 24, 2015
This should not be a requirement of Indeed.com. I should not have to post a required review of the place that I am employed at. It would be fine if it was optional, but I hesitate to put anything out that could in any way be tracked back to me.
Awesome Company with plenty knowledge to gain and retain
Human Resources Benefits File Clerk (Current Employee) –  Charleston, SCFebruary 16, 2014
CCSD is a wonderful company, especially the HR Benefits staff. The cohesiveness of that office, makes each work day worth it. The ladies are an absolute joy to be around. Each person helps the other so the entire office can meet all deadlines as demanded.
Pros
great atmosphere and location
Cons
my position is part-time
I enjoyed my day every day but some of the students were very difficult to deal with.
Teacher's Assistant (Current Employee) –  Charleston, SCAugust 13, 2015
Working for CCSD was a pleasure and I have learned quit a bit there as a Teacher Assistant. I am proud to say I have worked for such an amazing principal and a great district. I will miss this the most when we move next week.
Pros
Open communication
Cons
Early start
Great, friendly environment
Procurement Technician (Former Employee) –  North Charleston, SCJuly 18, 2015
Being a procurement technician was fun, efficient and productive. co-workers were great, helpful and willing to teach anything unknown. management was great,
Poor employee security with bad pay and benefits
Administrator (Current Employee) –  Charleston, SCOctober 13, 2012
Too much politics, NO advancement (they hire new managers, not promote current employees), bad pay and lousy benefits.
Cons
just plain bad
Enjoyable job
Teacher Assistant (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCJune 28, 2015
Teachers work well together to provide the best education for all students. The job is very rewarding and there are opportunities for advancement .
Community Outreach
Intern (Former Employee) –  CharlestonApril 30, 2015
*Serving as a liaison to and for parents, consulting with school officials, parents, and outside resources to determine causes of truancy, failing grades, misbehavior, and to implement a solution.
*Orchestrated group sessions, one-on-one sessions, classroom observations, and parent meetings to Carried two territories simultaneously while team member was out on medical leave.
*Interview clients individually, or families to assess their situation to determine what services are required to meet their needs and using outside resources to help meet that need.
working there
Counselor (Current Employee) –  Charleston, SCJuly 21, 2015
There is a lot of confusion regarding the transference of information. Much of the time the teachers, support staff and janitorial staff did not know about meetings or events.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Charleston County School District. Our community is ready to answer.