Charleston County School District Employee Reviews

Na
Bookkeeper/Secretary (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCApril 3, 2017
Very Fun, productive atmosphere. I truly enjoyed working with the children. The District has a lot of ground to cover to ensure equality among all of the Students of the district.
Great Students and Teachers, low pay and little diversity
Long Term High School Spanish Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Charleston, SCMarch 30, 2017
Very low pay. The application process will make you grow gray hairs. You even have to pay for so many programs if you are doing alternative certification. This is the real reason we don't have teachers. There is also very little diversity.
Pros
Great students.
Cons
Very low pay and hard to get a permanent position.
Great Colleagues
Mathematics Teacher (Current Employee) –  Charleston, SCFebruary 13, 2017
Wonderful group of people to work with, enjoyed coming to work to see each of my coworkers. Very supportive staff, summers, weekends and holidays off.
Pros
Hours
Cons
Short Breaks
Fun Place to work
Operational Planning Assistant (Former Employee) –  North Charleston, SCFebruary 13, 2017
Caring Place to work. Very Warm and understanding people. Eager to help and help you succeed. I loved this place. Hardest part was talking to parents to get federal information
Pros
free lunch
Cons
short breaks
Teacher
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCFebruary 8, 2017
A typical day was like any typical school day. The institution of public education in Charleston is governed by the underlying principle that the teacher is always wrong, the kid, the kid's parents must be right, and must never complain about the challenge of becoming smart.
Pros
job
Cons
job
Great
After School Counselor (Former Employee) –  North Charleston, SCJanuary 22, 2017
Its a great experience to work with kids still in elementary school. You learn stuff everyday. Makes me want to get a degree and teach math.
Rewarding experiences with long lasting relationships
Site Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Mount Pleasant, SCJanuary 17, 2017
A rewarding experience throughout the years. Great opportunity for college students, recent grads and/or veteran staff.
Working in the Department of Infrastructure and Technology was enjoyable. The employees were the best.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  BridgeviewNovember 16, 2016
Working as an administrative assistant was fulfilling. I was busy all the time and the administrator and coworkers were pleasant and worked together.
Charleston County Schools
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Charleston, SCSeptember 14, 2016
Extremely disorganized school district that is very poorly managed. Schools in the North Charleston area do not have necessary resources and teacher support is minimal. Salary is atrocious. Sadly, the students are not the main focus of this school district.
Cons
extremely low pay, poor school conditions
Working with students with different disabilities
Teacher's Assistant (Former Employee) –  North Charleston, SCAugust 30, 2016
Working with students with different disabilities has it's good days and bad day. But as long as staff work together as one you can overcome any obstacles.
Pros
brought the children Christmas present
Cons
Benefits terrible
Fun place to work
Teacher Assistant (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCJuly 13, 2016
I've learned that there is never a typical day when you work with students!! Management let's you do what you were hired to do. My co-workers were great people to work with. The hardest part of the job was trying to get the students up to grade level. The most enjoyable part was when you see the aha moment on their face!
Pros
No micromanagement
Cons
Not being able to reach every student.
Exciting environment
Student Concerns Specialist (Current Employee) –  Charleston, SCJune 8, 2016
This location is vibrant in various aspects to it. The close working relationships with certain staff make the environment enjoyable and with ease.
It was a very fun and constant learning environment.
Computer Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCJune 7, 2016
Being an IT Specialist for CCSD was always a fun yet challenging environment. I was always learning about new technologies and applications, which I enjoy. I was responsible for 12 schools in downtown Charleston SC. That amounts to a lot of iPads, MacBooks, laptops, desktops, copiers, printers, telecommunications etc. I can't even begin to say how much I have learned there. The demand was extremely high but so was the gratitude of the end user when the issue had been resolved.

I also worked for and with some incredible people that I don't just consider co-workers but also friends. All in all it has been a wonderful and educational experience through and through.
Pros
Insurance, company car and phone. Evenings and weekends off. Strong support team.
Cons
Driving downtown all day can be a bit dangerous. You really need to be alert.
Education make Successful People
Teachers Assistant (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCJune 3, 2016
Working along side the teacher on academic's and following up with students progress is a regular day. Adaptation and being flexible is of great success for any learning establishment. Following the instruction of the teacher and giving a feedback on directives led to many management duties. Tone of directives and cooperation were model by all staffing. Difficult days presented itself when the students were not apt to work on their academic's because of a late night at home. The joy of the day was the smiles on the face of a student that learned something new.
Pros
Extra break
Cons
Learning what works.
We are a Family
Teacher 2nd Grade, Stono Park Elementary (Current Employee) –  Charleston, SCMay 7, 2016
CCSD takes care of their employees! Currently going through changes but making the necessary changes to keep staff secure. I love this district!
Pros
Great Benefits, Diverse Students
Cons
Short Breaks
Adult Education
Adult Education Instructor (Current Employee) –  Charleston, SCApril 14, 2016
The resources alone makes working here amazing, experienced teachers that understand what it takes to keep students involved in the program and wonderful co-workers that you can call anytime if you need something. I love working for Charleston County School District
Pros
Everyone works together
Cons
Notenough hours in a day to get everybody their GED
No respect from "upper management".
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCMarch 23, 2016
From what I understand, most public school districts are difficult to work for, but I found CCSD to be particularly disheartening. There is no respect for teachers and those who are in "management" positions clearly have no regard for those who are "in the trenches" every day.
Productive and Fun work environment with opportunities for career advancement. One of the best school districts in South Carolina.
Middle School Teacher (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCMarch 2, 2016
Work day times varied upon building, but overall it was a great experience. I had the opportunity to loop with my students from Grades 6 to 8, then switched schools to teach a hands-on Science Curriculum.
Very Productive
Bachelors of Social Work Intern (Current Employee) –  Charleston, SCFebruary 11, 2016
a typical day at the office would be me helping families locate resources that are needed to become more productive members of society. This experience has been the best experience so far since i have been here. I also have had a chance to do a few school visits and a chance to help launch a club for gentlemen of ethnicity. I learned that everything I learned at my internship was real life experience and nothing that could taught out of a book. The experience is only hard if you do not like to be involved and put in the extra work. I really enjoyed my internship because I felt like a real social worker and part of the staff. I kept myself busy with outreach programs such as the Boys Summit which were geared towards young many of ethnicity and how we can raise successful young gentlemen ( the reason i helped launched the club).
Pros
Gained alot of experience on how to facilate large groups
Cons
Internship not real employment
diversity/great-co-workers
comraderie
some-unhappy-workers
needs/more-training
up-to-date-certifications
Pros
co-workers/diversity/comraderie/training
Cons
lack-of-good-subs/older-workers-don't-enjoy-transitioning/cross-training

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Charleston County School District. Our community is ready to answer.

Charleston County School District Reviews by Location