Charley's Grilled Subs Employee Reviews in United States

Energetic, but time consuming
Multi-Unit Manager (Former Employee) –  Lakeland, FLJune 2, 2016
While the culture is built around service doing things differently, the restraints around quality of life made this a very difficult place to work.
Customer service
Food Service Worker (Current Employee) –  Fort Jackson, SCMay 22, 2016
Good customer service, always the customers' satisfaction in mind. Co-workers are nice and always willing to help newbies.
poor management
Crew Member, cashier, food handler (Current Employee) –  Tacoma, WAMay 12, 2016
busy location, which doesn't bother me. the management really needs improvement. iv'e really only learned to multitask better since i started. the only hard part about the job is being nagged about every little thing causing me to get behind on the work that needs to get done. most of my co-workers are easy to work with except one manager to whom i always have to work with. This person bullies some of the crew members including me and really should be talked to or maybe fired for being so disrespectful. other than that the job is ok and easy.
Pros
free food if you work 5 hrs or more, flexible hrs.
Cons
passing out samples on a slow day.
Basic Part-Time Job Turned Sour
Sampler (Former Employee) –  Fairfield, CAApril 18, 2016
Working here was an experience that I find to be a bit of a flop. The pay here was minimum wage, which is what you'd expect out of a little joint inside of a food court. However, a lot of pressure was put on me to perform something for the restaurant that clearly couldn't be done or was out of my control. They tasked me with passing out samples to nearby potential customers, and entice them to walk over and purchase something from the menu. However, even if I do my job perfectly; there is no guarantee that they'll ever by something. It isn't my job to sell the food, just to show them what they could be having. The sandwiches were considered by many to be overpriced, and the McDonalds across the food court was understandably a far more suitable option for those not will to spend 7-10 dollars on a sandwich. However, I feel that they blamed me for their lack of sales; and as a result let me go from employment just one month after picking me up.
Pros
Discount for the food, consistent hours
Cons
Weak pay, let go for poor reason, weak management.
Customer Service Associate (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOFebruary 8, 2016
I love the job a lot. It is one of the jobs I have kept for a long time. they made me part of the family and i'm glad that they did. when you go there they keep you laughing and making sure that you are having a good time.
Pros
Free food
Cons
Healthcare
First Job
Cashier- was able (Former Employee) –  Tarentum, PAFebruary 2, 2016
This was my very first job and it was a pretty fun job. A typical day at work would be helping customers with service and helping your coworker get things done. The management was pretty good too they were very friendly and helpful for the most part. The hardest part of the job would of been working with a short crew most of the time being there. The most enjoyable part of the job was meeting new people and learning new things.
Productive fun enviroment
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Monaca, PADecember 28, 2015
The day begun with going over the numbers needed, putting staff in position, getting prep ready. I would then fill in positions as needed, taking care of customers and keeping a happy positive atmosphere among the employees as well as customers. When closing hours came, I would go through stock counts and start counting the money for the day. The most enjoyable part of the day was when everyone was working hard and having fun with smiling customers.
Pros
Free lunch, face to face customer service
Cons
bad employees or understaffed.
Not a fun place
Lead Cook (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYOctober 26, 2015
Not an exciting place to be, management is very subpar. Not a friendly working environment. Easy to get along with employees
Fast paced work & great tasting food.
Associate (Former Employee) –  Fairview Heights, ILOctober 4, 2015
My experience there was good, fun, and a great learning experience.
Found out the secret to gaining more satisfied customers; Have a great smile (hahaha).
Coworkers & Manager were great people to learn & work with.
If I were to work for them again, i'd do it.
cook
Cashier/Cook (Former Employee) –  Parma, OHSeptember 20, 2015
I would open up shop by opening all the veggies and meats for the day filling condiment bottles, and doing last nights dishes. Id turn on the deep fryer and grill, put the nozzles on the soda machines and refilling all our supplies.
once open I would take orders take money give change, and give the drinks put fries in the fryer if ordered and then start preparing their food. At the end of the day I would clean the grill fryers and counters did the dishes and put the foods back in the coolers. I learned sanitary codes, how to keep up with orders, and how to work in a fast pace environment. My coworkers were great we all made work a lot of fun but in a serious matter. The managers kept everything orderly was great when you needed help if he saw you needed help or falling behind he would help get you caught up.The hardest part of this job was keeping up during a lunch or dinner rush. Everyone had to work together. The most enjoyable part of this job was working with my coworkers.
Pros
working with my coworkers and managers
Cons
lunch and dinner rushes
Long hours, and had to work holidays
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Arlington, TXAugust 3, 2015
Every morning I would open the store and get everything ready for the day. In this job I learned how to be leader, and learned how business was. Our manager really had no control of our employees, only when the owner showed up is when they would listen. My co-workers were not reliable. They would come in whatever time they felt like it, and very lazy at that. The hardest part of this job was the long hours standing up. I basically would do about 12 hours shift a day. What I enjoyed is the food, we would get a free sub and some fries.
Pros
A free aub and fries on our brake.
Cons
Long hours standing, no advancement, low wages.
Great place to eat and be responsible.
Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Brandon, FLJuly 10, 2015
Working at Charley's was a great first job experience. The managers were great, I received raises every 2-3 months for showing great work. I got along with everyone there because I am a friendly person. The food is amazing!
it's a good job, just not if you're starting out
Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVJuly 10, 2015
I liked my job here, I learned a few things here and there. My only problem was that I couldn't make enough hours at minimum wage to support myself. I clocked in, made fries, did dishes, picked up trays and even dressed a few people's sandwiches. my co-workers were swell people who I got along with well.
Pros
occasional Free Accidental Sandwich at the end of a shift
Cons
"work up to your hours" 3 hour work days, 3 days a week
Basically your typical fast food enviroment
Cashier/Cook (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 5, 2015
From open till close, the produce and materials must always be stocked, the work area must always look presentable to the customers, and when it comes to the actual cooking of the food, one must be able to skillfully and quickly cook to precise order. The management and co-workers are friendly and very helpful, as it is a teamwork environment. The hardest part of this job are the rude customers. The most enjoyable part the job is when we see customers becoming regulars.
This company really cares about the customer!
Cashier/Customer Service - Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Riverside CAJune 18, 2015
Charley's as a corporation really seems to care about the whole customer service aspect as well as offering quality product over everything else. A typical day at Charley's is normally high volume and fast paced but with the right crew behind you the day goes fast and if you're lucky you have fun and make a customer or two smile. There is a sense of accomplishment when you're working so fast but still making a quality product that keeps the customers coming back.
The hardest part of the job would probably be having to work weekends and holidays. Especially when you have a family.
Pros
free lunch, close to home, close relationship with coworkers, fast paced, social interaction, .
Cons
private owners, unfair treatment sometimes, low pay, time away from family, mostly part time.
Life lesson in Business administration.
General Manager (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJune 9, 2015
Work was always a challenge that was welcoming. The owners of the franchise trusted us and talked with us and they were very distinct in teaching us good old fashion honest business administration. This job taught me how to see the wider industry that exists in the business world. The biggest challenges were finding people who could uphold the standards of service.The most enjoyable part of the job was taking people who could learn and be effective and creating and experience for people that was very lucrative, and as such we were able to receive work incentives that taught some practical values that are always usable in life.
Pros
Great pay
Good start up job
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Lakeland, FLJune 1, 2015
very easy job, and always had fun. people are nice, also loved getting through rushes made you feel very accomplished when you finish a 400-600 dollar hour by yourself.
Pros
free delicious grilled sub
Cons
repetitive work
a fun workplace
Crew member (Former Employee) –  Fresno, CAMay 30, 2015
They are very flexible with your schedule. Willing to work around your schedule. Can use more work on management. Some difficult things is when someone comes in late or do a no show.
Good temporary job
Cashier/Customer Service/Cook (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCMay 10, 2015
This is a good place to work temporarily, but definitely not somewhere permanent. I did learn how to work very well with a team in order to get things done quicker. I really enjoyed working with my coworkers, they kept the day going by quicker. The general management could be a little more professional.
Fast past and welcoming
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZMay 6, 2015
At work I typically took orders and greeted the customers and made their visit with us feel welcomed. I enjoyed working there and my co-workers were fantastic.