Charlotte White Center Employee Reviews

direct care
Cook February 20027 (Former Employee) –  brewer maineAugust 17, 2017
they would always exspect people t stay if they had a call out even you where unailable to stay. they would change the rules to suited management they always took everyone for granted.
Engaging and supportive staff
CERTIFIED INTENTIONAL PEER SUPPORT SPECIALIST (Current Employee) –  Dover-Foxcroft, MEJuly 17, 2017
All staff with Charlotte White Center are incredibly people oriented with a clear understanding that life happens and is supportive in all situations.
Pros
Great Staff
Cons
Full time hours are hard to obtain outside of the PNMI's
Enjoyed daily interaction with consumers
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee) –  Dover-Foxcroft, MEApril 26, 2017
Typical mornings (as night shift) included bathing consumers, preparing breakfast, and assisting day staff with loading consumers and their items into the vehicle for day program. I learned a new level of respect for the uniqueness of individuals with disabilities, and a new sense of the quality of life that every individual has a right to. The hardest part of the job for me was learning the different ways that the clients in the group home communicated with. However, that was also the most enjoyable aspect of my job. It was incredibly rewarding to learn how to help improve their quality of life, and to be out in the community assisting them in interactions with the rest of the community.
Pros
supportive coworkers
Cons
poor pay
workplace
DSP (Direct Support Professional) (Former Employee) –  Bangor, MEApril 4, 2017
Co-workers seemed like they didnt want to teach new staff. acted like we should know every thing off the bat. Although some people did tech the new people.
Very Fun place to work
CRMA/DSP (Former Employee) –  Bangor, MEMarch 29, 2017
Very involved with residents daily/nightly living and routines. Take to appointments and Play games and help to cook and clean. Pass out Medications as needed to them. Help there day or night go smooth for them.
Pros
Always having fun and interacting
Cons
Not steady hours
Voluntary Work
Gardener (Former Employee) –  Dover-Foxcroft, MEMarch 3, 2017
Charlotte White Center Gardens was another voluntary job for me only around this time I was a little bit older and new more about gardening then before, very nice people and very helpful and educational
Training is great, but low wages and poor benefits create a revolving door!
CRMA/DSP (Former Employee) –  Bangor, MEAugust 8, 2016
I worked with adults with developmental disabilities. I loved working with the consumers, but the low wages and poor benefit package CWC offers caused me to go elsewhere so I could pay my bills. Being a CRMA/DSP is a responsible job. Charlotte White Center needs to acknowledge that by increasing their wages to keep good employees. The CWC starting rate of $9.25 never goes up, no matter how much training you go through or how many certificates you attain or no matter how long you've been working there. It's ridiculous.
Pros
Free training
Cons
Low wages, poor benefit package
It was an OK place to work
Children's Administrator (Former Employee) –  Dover-Foxcroft, MENovember 22, 2015
CWC is non-profit, which does come with some challenges. They do seem to care for their employees but there is not always funding to compensate them appropriately. Most positions are high stress as it is a social services company. They do offer wellness options for employees to take care of their overall health and wellbeing.
Pros
wellness programs, friendly environment, excellent co-workers
Cons
high stress, horrible benefits package, no job security
what I learned
Direct Support Professional (DSP) (Former Employee) –  Dover-Foxcroft, MENovember 21, 2015
fun work place with supportive management, co workers were friendly the hardest part of the job was the clients and taking care of them
Pros
free food
Cons
clients
Almost Perfect
MHRT-1/Mental Health-Residential (Current Employee) –  Dover-Foxcroft, MEAugust 11, 2015
CWC is nearly a perfect company to work for. Staff are great and immediate management as well there are some kinks that company needs to address and when they do this will be one of the great human services companies to work for.
Cons
Wage, Health Insurance
Very poor pay for what is required
DSP (Former Employee) –  Dover-Foxcroft, MEJuly 9, 2015
Flat entry rate that may never go up. Most likely have to work with difficult clients and do extra chores for little pay. Supervisors I had were inattentive. (This is all based on info from 2 years ago)
Job security in the bag
Direct Support Professional (Current Employee) –  Bangor, MEMay 28, 2015
They are so desperate for people that they cannot afford to get rid of anyone. They are okay but communication is seriously lacking at this company. Managment can be jerks but most of the time they are alright.
Good management but no appreciation
Residential Care- Per Diem (Former Employee) –  Dover-Foxcroft, MEAugust 22, 2013
I cleaned and looked after adults with developmental delays. I learned that very few people appreciate the effort you put into a job. Most of the people I worked with were supportive. The hardest part of the job was not being appreciated for what I did. But I found it enjoyable to work with clients who needed so much help.
Pros
Helpful team
Cons
Lack of appreciation, low pay, no advancement opportunity.
Its an outgoing workplace and they were good about flexible scheduling.
Rehabilitation Specialist (Former Employee) –  Dover, MEMay 31, 2013
The most enjoyable part about the job is that you are working with children that appreciate all that you do to help them cope with their disabilities and that you get a special bond with them. Hardest part of the job is the paperwork. Having to come up with new goals for the consumer to work on and write it into a plan.
Pros
Family barbeques and fun day
Cons
Having to treat the consumer like a client instead of friend
Charlotte White Center From Entry Level Perspective
Therapeutic Specialist (Current Employee) –  Bangor, MEAugust 21, 2012
An average day usually consists of assisting consumers with daily living skills and personal care plans, ranging from getting dressed in the morning to using appropriate language when speaking to others. I schedule appointments and keep track of meds, drive consumers to day programs, and complete all paperwork necessary. This is a typical routine, but there are days which are not typical at all and that is where my job really kicks in. I have to crisis manage both consumers I provide for, which can be difficult but rewarding when situations are mediated and resolved.

Working in the field of mental health has certainly been educational; I have learned many new skills in how to relate to others and deal with conflicts. These skills are transferable to any job as well as personal life, making them very valuable. I have come to a better understanding of my own limits and expectations as well, which has proved beneficial in many ways.

Management is never perfect, regardless of the company you work for, and to expect that will be disappointing. However, I have had an excellent relationship with nearly all of the management I come into contact with and have been pleased at the level of communication. Open and honest communication is one of the most important things in workplace relationships, especially with your coworkers. The group of people I work with is a very tight-knit team which has developed a comfortable work environment that provides consistency and reliability.

Probably the hardest part of my job is managing stress at a healthy level, as my work environment can be in
  more... crisis mode frequently. Finding ways to eliminate and reduce stress has been challenging, but having a healthy personal life affects this greatly.

There is no doubt in my mind that the most enjoyable part of my job occurs when a consumer learns how to overcome developmental disabilities or makes great progress in meeting PCP goals. These events are exciting and rewarding, as I have a huge part in how successful the consumers are. Working with them in a residential setting on a daily basis makes me a big part of their lives and it is extremely rewarding to know I had a hand in helping them lead healthier and more productive lives.
What you learned
Behavioral/Habilitation Specialist (Former Employee) –  Bangor, MEJune 25, 2012
Ensuring professional boundaries while working in home supports
nice place to work
program coordinator (Former Employee) –  Dover MaineJanuary 5, 2012
it was a pleasure working with the students. I had great co-worker relations.
Pros
good benifits
Cons
didn't have enough back up for my position