Charming Charlie Employee Reviews

Fun environment; horrible compensation
Assistant Selling Manager (Former Employee) –  OhioJanuary 6, 2017
I absolutely loved my team and management in my particular store was great; however, they liquidated positions while I was there and you can tell the company is struggling to meet sales quotas. This led to promotions being dropped in the middle of the day, multiple coupons, etc. that would not correctly ring into the system or lack expiration dates/confuse customers and staff. While these helped sales, they also changed customers buying mindset and it became difficult to sell when there wasn't a coupon/promotion.
With the added stress came not much compensation from the company. Holidays were basic pay and nonnegotiable. Some of the worst "earned PTO" hours I have seen in retail, and the discount was only 25% off (there were select weekends where you would get 40%)- usually customers got a better discount through coupons which associates could not use.
Overall, without a good team to back you up and make work fun; it would become draining.
Pros
fun environment
Cons
small discount; no vacation pay
This was a productive fun place to work...
General Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Lees Summit, MODecember 28, 2016
The most enjoyable part of my job was my staff and my customers. On a typical work day it would start by opening the store. Counting down drawers to ensure enough cash was available for business. Making sure the store was clean, floors swept and mopped. The most hardest part of the job was that it had several store managers over a period of a few years so I had to come in and clean up behaviors that were inappropriate, identify theft issues, hire new staff, and reteach policy and procedure so that it was clear of what was right or wrong and that everyone adhered to policy. There was a lot of high turn over until everyone who wasn't going to cooperate either left on their on terms or were terminated.
Pros
Discounts and Employee Appreciation Day
Cons
Short breaks, healthcare wasn't the best, they provided no 401K
Loved the job, but...
Charmer/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  IowaJanuary 9, 2017
My time at CC was pretty great. I loved my job, I loved working with customers, making them outfits and fixing up the store. Although I didn't care for management, the girls were very petty and vindictive. However I loved the other girls I worked with and the job itself. You learn a lot and have room to advance.
Pros
Fun environment, making outfits, making the store pretty
Cons
management, company is a little stingy about benefits.
Best job I've had
Style Specialist (Former Employee) –  Granger, INAugust 11, 2016
I love working here! The people I work with are awesome! The management was a little shaky though. There was little to no communication between managers and that showed with almost everything we did. All of the associates get long exceptionally well, we all hang out and discuss things outside of work. We all our generally happy working here, but there is a lot of pressure on sales, more than any job I've worked before. It's all about leverage! It causes a lot of stress. We also have to make sure we get every customer's e-mail for reasons I'm still unsure about and if we don't get enough e-mails then we lose hours and that is confusing to me because I don't know how those two things correlate. Other than all that, it's a great place to work. It is my favorite place to work and I hope it gets less stressful soon. Also this year they aren't giving any raises and any part-time associate is only allowed to work 26 hours maximum. The only full-time employees are the managers and not all of them are full-time.
Pros
Awesome staff, good discount, nice pace, decent hours
Cons
no pay raises this year, leverage, e-mail capture, poor communication among managers
Fun and Productive Work Environment
Assistant Store Manager/ CRM Lead (Current Employee) –  Simi Valley, CAJuly 12, 2016
A typical day at work would consist of helping customers feel fabulous and comfortable in whatever style they choose! In this company, I learn to listen to others, be a leader and a team player, and be committed and empowered by others and myself! I absolutely love my management team and the style specialist who work really hard in making this company what it is today. The hardest part of my job is visuals and marketing. Visuals and marketing is imperative in building our key performance indicators and selling. The most enjoyable part of my job is working with people that enjoy everyone's company and meeting fun and excited customers.
Pros
Meeting a variety of people, creating outfits
Cons
Not a lot of benefits
Exceptional customer service focus with great supportive staff.
General Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Farmington, UTAugust 1, 2016
Deliver customer experience while still maintaining visual merchandising and product strategies, recruiting,developing staff,driving business through reports and measurements, and scheduling.

Building a high performing team develops the leaders to become next level in their careers and supports the GSM in daily work tasks.

Upper level DM support is exceptional, always willing to help growth and development of GM and further the rest of the GM's staff.

Work-life balance would be the hardest part of my job. With the never-ending amount of daily tasks and responsibilities there comes a time where what you think is enough, isn't enough and with me be an over achiever there is not enough payroll hours given, nor in the day that I am able to succeed and be happy with the accomplishments.

The customer experience is the most enjoyable part of my job. Helping individuals feel better and make a difference in their day, even if that difference is finding them the perfect outfit. I know that my personal skills and love for people has made me enjoy working in this atmosphere.
Pros
Benefits, support, customer experience driven
Cons
Task needed to payroll given, work/life balance
Fun environment to work and Shop
Co store manager (Current Employee) –  Palm Beach Gardens, FLJanuary 9, 2017
Charming Charlie is a great place to work you will grow and move up in the company really fast. Most of all you will learn a lot about new fashion trends.
Pros
Fun fashion
Cons
Great Benefits
I like my coworkers and enjoy what I do.
Benefits Administrator (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 28, 2016
I enjoy my manager and coworkers that make the job easy to come to daily. I enjoy helping and resolving associates concerns and issues that they may have.
Pros
My coworkers and manger.
Cons
There is no room for growth, the salary is not competitive, and there is no money available for educational growth.
Productive and good environment.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVSeptember 27, 2016
Hours are extremely flexible. As a sales associate there are no benefits. Hours are very tricky and sometimes favoritism happens. The team that is there is very happy and outgoing.
No internal growth opportunities
Merchant (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 9, 2016
This is a company that you come to in order to use as a resume builder. There's a huge lack of management and leadership. The pay is less than competitive for the industry. There's a black cloud once you are in the company of negative energy that produces a very low moral. The company isn't giving raises, which wouldn't be so bad if we weren't doing the jobs of three other people because everyone is leaving and management has a lack of accountability. They have a I'll just replace you attitude, we work really hard, beyond the required hours and don't even get a thank you. Beware of budy system. Get in learn a little and run for the quickest exit.
Pros
Free dress and HQ in Houston
Cons
Management, moral, pay, no appreciation etc.
Stepping Stone Job
Employee (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAFebruary 12, 2016
If you want to get your foot in the door of the industry, Charming Charlie is not a bad place to start. However for career advancement, you won't find much offered. This company has a high turnover rate, and pay is not competitive for the Los Angeles market. Also, as the Los Angeles division started growing, the executives took away many "perks." For example, snacks were taken away, coffee was downgraded, and they stopped offering paper plates. I stay in touch with my former co-workers and they recently informed me that the company no longer offer yearly salary increases and no longer match for 401K.

The main corporate HQ is located in Houston so there are not a lot of options in Houston for the retail industry. In Los Angeles there are plenty of jobs in retail. If you are considering jobs, know that Charming Charlie is a temporary blip for the resume.
Pros
Steady Pay Check
Cons
Low Salary, Weak Benefits, Job Duties Expand Beyond Job Title
Company doesnt always back employees, but good pay and benefits.
Senior Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Shreveport, LAJuly 6, 2016
Always busy so something to constantly do.
Most enjoyable part of the job was helping customers that really needed it amd making a difference in their day/event.
Pros
pay, benefits
Cons
work holidays, not many breaks
Managers Can Be Catty, So Watch Out
Stylist (Current Employee) –  Wesley Chapel, FLMay 13, 2016
When starting out, the job was great! Great atmosphere, awesome coworkers, positivity everywhere! However, two of the managers have recently been acting poorly, trying to screw employees out of hours, playing the favorites game, and not scheduling many employees (even those with great email %, those who are great at meeting ADS and items per transaction). This may just be my location, though. This location also schedules using "call-in"s, meaning that you're essentially schedule for a shift, so you have to keep that time open in your personal calendar. You call two hours before that shift starts, but if they don't need you, you don't go in, don't get paid, and thus lost 4 hours of planned time you cut out. The pay is okay for retail, but unless you're a favorite of the 2 managers all day every day in every minute, don't expect to be able to work towards a management position. The workplace environment used to be so friendly and fun between managers and stylists, and now, its like the high school in Mean Girls. Also, the employee discounts are awful, and customers often get a better deal because they get to use the coupons - employees can't.
Pros
okay compensation, not too many hours, works with class schedule
Cons
awful managers, little respect for hour needs or personal schedule, no good employee benefits
Bad Benefits
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Nanuet, NYApril 16, 2016
Charming Charlie is a retail store that is currently undergoing rapid growth. The Texas based company recently opened stores in New York City and Dubai. Although I did enjoy the sales portion of my position, I found that many of my responsibilities were left out of my job description. The position requires much more manual labor than I was lead to believe. The company also does not offer great benefits- for example employees are expected to work on holidays with no additional compensation.
The Worst Job I've Ever Had.
Style Specialist (Former Employee) –  Maumee, OHDecember 31, 2016
Management blatantly plays favorites. If you're not part of the favorites be prepared to be talked about behind your back and treated like you-know-what. The rules consistently change as certain leaders see fit. If you complain or speak out against it there's clear cut retribution. If you involve the district manager you're basically given a tissue and told to get over it. There is absolutely no support.

On another note, the employee discount is a joke. The coupons handed out each month are a better deal but employees aren't allowed to use them.

As far as a minimum wage job goes consider working somewhere that'll offer some kind of benefit or flexible schedule. This place certainly will NOT.
Pros
Customers are awesome!
Cons
Everything. Literally everything.
Awful working environment
PTASM (Former Employee) –  Carmel, INJanuary 12, 2017
Started as an associate with one manager for 2 months, then that manager left and I was promoted to Part time assistant manager with a new store manager. The new store manager was very business and less personable. Abused my avaliability, lacked break time for meals, was unable to request time off and flunked a class in college because they would not work around my school schedule. A lot of sketchy things the managers did, rude customers constantly. Rarely would someone nice come in wanting help. The accociates refused to listen to my orders or requests because I was younger than them. Had an awful experience and will never shop there again. Since I have left, there have been 2 more managers and numerous associates being recycled through the store. DO NOT reccomend working here.
Pros
Starbucks accross the street
Cons
Management is unorganized, dirty facility, constantly clean other peoples mess, pay, recognition for good work, associates call off numerous times, associates can not be counted on, unconsistant hours.
Likable working place, surrounded by beautiful jewelry.
Style Specialist (Former Employee) –  West Palm Beach, FLSeptember 29, 2016
Charming Charlie was a great job. I left for school but ended up back at home due to tuition. A typical day at work consisted of helping customers find what they were looking for, customer check out, customer service, cleaning up, re-stalking the floor, and making sure customers had the best experience. I learned how to work a cash register, work with others in a professional setting, and how to better understand individual customer needs. Management was fine and so were co-workers.The hardest part of my job was dealing with rude customers but i also understand that it comes with the job. The most enjoyable part of my job was getting to know people from all over the world.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Short breaks
Easy Place to Work but Horrible Management and Co-Workers
Charmer/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Manchester, NHDecember 6, 2016
Don't work here unless you're a caddy person. Everyone is in a tight clique and no one wants to let you in. On top of that, they'll talk about you behind your back. Typically, the work was fun and helping customers was never an issue. Cash register was easy to learn and so was stocking the jewelry. Like I said, the management is horrible ever since a certain someone switched stores. The pay is also horrible, but that was expected while working a retail job.
Pros
Easy work
Cons
Short breaks, Caddy Co-workers, even Caddier boss
productive and fun workplace
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Plymouth Meeting, PASeptember 26, 2016
a typical day at Charming Charlie consisted of organizing apparel, jewelry, and other accessories by their color. For instance, if a customer walks into the store and ask where they can find a particular color, I can lead them to that color right away because of how the store is set us. The most enjoyable part of the job had to be setting the floor set and organizing everything by its color before actually making it available to the customers. My co-workers were awesome! The management was fine and just by being an employee there I learned that if you set things up by color it makes not only the employees job easier but it also helps the customer in many ways.
This is a very positive work environment
Style Specialist (Current Employee) –  Lees Summit, MODecember 5, 2016
A typical day at Charming Charlie includes assisting customers to help find accessories to match outfits for a certain occasions. We also have to make sure everything in the store looks nice and is recovered. Lastly, constantly using the register to check out customers. I've learned to work well with a team and my customer service skills has also improved. The managers take the time to actually get to know the Charmers and respects our availability. I feel comfortable with talking to my managers. All of my co-workers are a thrill to work with. Everyone is always happy and willing to work. The hardest part of the job would be the lack of hours given. The most enjoyable part would be making the customers happy with the perfect accessories for their outfits or gifts.
Pros
working with such happy people
Cons
the lack of hours given

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Charming Charlie. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9