Charming Shoppes, Inc. Employee Reviews

Unfriendly work environment
Call Center/Tech Support (Former Employee) –  Bensalem, PAJuly 9, 2013
Job involves answering calls and diagnosing issues based on POS system software or hardware issues. Typically you answer calls, fix frozen programs and order hardware for damaged machines.

The job was an intro to the help desk industry. I learned a lot about how to diagnose bad hardware from common error messages.

Management is unpleasant. Unwilling to work with employees to better environment from a practical standpoint. Unhelpful. Lack of interest in making sure employees are happy or fully trained. Most learning is done by the employee by asking another employee. Problems are dealt with by punishing the employee who needs help. On average turnover is high because of this attitude towards employees.

Co-workers are fun people who are great to work with. Despite management, the employees have a great team spirit and are incredibly helpful to everyone around them.

The hardest part of the job was dealing with constantly being belittled by people on the phone and by management. A general feeling of being the bottom of the barrel persisted in the office creating a gloomy atmosphere. Also there was no recourse for a location to call in and scream at the technicians.

On the flip side talking to certain clients was incredibly enjoyable. Working together to solve problems with a store location was fun and fulfilling. Problem solving tricky issues made the job interesting.

On the whole the days off were excellent (17 PTO.) But you were often not allowed to schedule them. Benefits were excellent. Pay was below industry standard at the time of my leaving.
Pros
pto, benefits
Cons
no training, improper management
Worst organization to be employed by!
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  New YorkJanuary 3, 2013
Over worked and under paid! Corporate has no idea how to difficult it is to meet all the unnecessary mindless tasks they make managers do during the course of the day! They set deadlines that are ridiculous .Customers should be our first priority! Not useless reports! My DM was clueless. All she ever talked about was "metrics". Floor sets are never able to be completed by their deadlines because the shipments never arrive in time to execute the task! The DM I had was someone that managed with her emotions and was an insecure and incompetent woman that didn't even have the knowledge of reading the merchandise's price tag!
This woman then was promoted to a Regional manager and relocated to Florida. She was certainly not regional material!
Managers work like slaves, no breaks, long hours are expected from you all the time! The lack of respect and consideration that they display for their employees shows what kind of company this is! It's no wonder why this Chain(Catherine's ) is closing stores left and right!
The more hours you have to work means the less you are making on an hourly basis as a salaried worker! Upper management need to all be replaced ! Horrible, horrible organization!!!
Pros
none!!!
Cons
everything about this organization
hostile work enviorment
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Burton , Lapeer, Bay City, & Houghton Lake MISeptember 7, 2012
In the 11 years I was a store manager for Fashion Bug I went from being promotable to working under total fear and intimidation in a hostile work enviorment and waiting to be next on the hit list. I have never seen so many upper management changes. Every time they changed the company did worse. It is sad that all these changes resulted in Fashion Bug going under. I managed 3 different stores and continued to get results until I left a year ago. I believe every company needs to work as a team without district and regional managers being on power trips and working with human resources to do it. I believe that you have to have the right people to gets results, but this can't just be at store level. This needs to be company wide. I saw alot of good store mangers go through the same thing I did and it was heartbreaking. It was the hardest decision I think I ever had to make leaving after that many years, but I finally gave up hope of things turning around. I am with a very good company now and look forward to going to work every day again. It does really bother me that when I changed jobs that I had to do it without a good reference from a company that I was very loyal to for over 11 years.
Pros
the increases were good when you got results in the earlier years.
Cons
working in a hostile work enviorment, being afraid that every day you go to wok could be your last.
Charming shoppes
CSR /Sales Associate/ Shopping Advocate (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZOctober 30, 2012
The day can drag with the different clients which are all women from home makers to business women who think you personally have all the catalogs.

The company's business model didn't work as well as they thought it did. The transaction from physical catalogs to website was awfully done. Their inventory systems were really old and outdated.

Management was ok in some regards. The lack of propper procedures was rampant. No structure to any of the calls.

Co-workers were not really present towards the end as everyone was VTOing as soon as it was offered.

Placing orders with the ancient system they had. Looking up products listed under ancient catalogs from 10 yrs ago.

I enjoyed working with the modern homemakers because they were older ladies who wanted nothing but to look their best for church gatherings.
Pros
sit down job.
Cons
work in dos screens, to many catalogs. too much offerings for vto
The worse company to work for
Senior Tax Analyst (Former Employee) –  Bensalem, PAAugust 6, 2012
Working 15 years for this company brought progressively more challenging responsibilities which culminated with managing a multi state and local income/franchise tax process for over 2,000 separate corporations. The typical day revolved around the monthly due dates list which I expanded and updated on a regular basis. This is the company were I learned tax laws as relating to income/franchise taxes, sales and use tax, annual reports and other taxes. The tax department was like a family a with strong and supportive leadership from the manager. The most enjoyable part of the job was having full control of my duties on a daily basis plus recognition of the numerous innovative and organizations ideas that I implemented. The hardest part was the shortage of time to accomplish everything I wanted to do. Management was caring and generous. This was the best company to work for under the original owners. Unfortunately, once they lost control, everything changed. The new management treated the employees as tools and soon it became the worse company to work for.
Pros
none currently
Cons
treated as tools
Productive. sophisticated and fun workplace
Sales Associate, Lane Bryant (Current Employee) –  Pelham, NYAugust 6, 2013
A typical day at my job involves helping guests with any questions or concerns. This can range from inquiries about clothing, bra sizes and bill payments. I also work the register every shift. I learned that in any job setting, whom you are serving, whether it be a customer, consumer or client is always first. They're needs must always be met, or at least well compromised. Management is very professional and try their best to be prompt. My co-workers are very friendly, supportive and hard working. The hardest part of this job is opening credit cards with clients whom are very reluctant and the limited hours available to work. What I enjoy most about my job is helping guests find the perfect outfit and giving them a rewarding experience every time they walk into our store. In the end, that is most important!
Pros
flexible work schedule, approachable management
Cons
low budget and hours available to employees
Amazing company!
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Strongsville, OHJune 4, 2012
I've been with this company for years, it is really a great place to be. When customers come in who are truly frustrated or unhappy with their clothes, we have a real chance to not only help them love their clothes, but themselves. This is especially true with bra clients; most either know they are in the wrong size or they never truly knew their size to begin with. Being able to help these women is a really great thing, especially with the women who are more "blessed" in their top halves. Knowing they can always come to us and we will give them the best fit possible, or direct them to the company that can is truly a gift.

When customers rave about you to the point they make you blush and tear up, you know you're in the right company and right job.
Pros
freebies, discount, flexible scheduling, availability for advancement
Cons
no part time benefits
One of the best places I have ever worked for.
Warehouse Associate/ Shipping and Receiving (Former Employee) –  Baltimore MarylandDecember 31, 2012
my day of was to keep inventory control using search engines as main frame and wcs to maintain correct count of incoming units to the dc reporting any incorrect counts to management and corporate office. What I learned of managment was a fast paced in envorment alot of request for investing any descepencies. My over all enviorment with my co- workers was very open and worked as a team to get any and all job request completed. The hardest part of the job was understanding some of the reason for the mistakes in the recieving end of the units delivered to the dc.The most enjoyable part of the job was the thanks taht we were showed but managment for a job well done.
Pros
a well organizes place to work
Cons
i really can not think of any
I enjoy talking with people, so this position was fun for me.
Client Service/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Marshfield, WIJanuary 18, 2013
This was a fast paced call center with various dutied-answering incoming calls, imput customer retail orders, apply payments, make adjustments, when necessary and track deliquent merchandise. I learned how to treat each call as a individual call and always have a listening ear. Management was always supportive ,especially when the company announced it was moving from Marshfield. The co-workers were fun to work with and some of us are still in contact with each other. The hardest part was defusing a irate customer but I know how to utilize my listening skills and probing techniques. The most most enjoyable part of this job was taste testing new items.
Pros
always learning new techniques
Cons
no benefits
Nice Atmosphere and Great Discount
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Upper Darby, PASeptember 4, 2012
You come in, clock in and begin assisting customers with wardrobe malfunctions, bra fittings and taking account payments. You greet customers, keep the clothes neat, the accessories organized and the fitting rooms clean. Trying to sell credit is a must to maintain business and meet regional goals. Management and coworkers' attitudes keep the morale high. Hardest part of the day is probably being on your feet for a double shift if you have to stay. The most enjoyable part is getting to scope out new fashions to purchase with your store discount.
Pros
helping people, representing a company that targets same demographic
Cons
short lunch breaks, last minute call-ins, no bathroom for customers
great place with exemplary co workers
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Watertown, NYAugust 24, 2012
A typical day at Fashion Bug was filled with greeting & helping customers find what they were looking for plus getting them to include add on items to their purchase. I learned to manage a team and how to be a supervisor. Management was very dependable and a great group to learn from. Co workers came and went, but the ones who stayed were hard workers and took things seriously. Hardest part of the job was closing and handling Canadian money and large amounts of money when math is not your strong suit. Most enjoyable was getting to know customers who became life long friends, and helping them with their purchases.
Great place to work and great people to work with
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Bensalem, PANovember 28, 2012
My day is filled with a variety of tasks to be completed, the most important is maintaining schedules/calendars for my bosses. I love the fact that I am able to work on my own without much direction but when I need help I know I can always go to someone in order to follow through with the task at hand so all parties involved are informed and kept in the loop. In my 32 years with the Charming Family I have learned valueable lessons that have helped me outside the office as well. It has been a priviledge and honor to work with such a great team of people.
Productive work environment
Associate Buyer (Former Employee) –  Bensalem, PAJune 25, 2014
this a great company where you can flourish and be recognized for your work. the management team is always looking for hungry and entrepreneurial individuals who will take the calculated risk that is demanded in this kind of environment. they have a strong community culture that will allow for some great mentoring opportunities both above and below you... take advantage. the hours are long but not unlike any other corporate retailer. you will have exposure to numerous facets of the business as well as various levels of management with the opportunity to showcase your skills.
Fun place to work, Never bored
Cashier, Floor Manager (Former Employee) –  Barberton, OhioMarch 4, 2013
A typical day at work for me: Clocking in, doing stock, cleaning the store, greeting and helping customers. I learned how to organize a store to help customers find what they need faster, I learned how your organize a cash drawer and the stock room. Management was good, our managers and assistant managers were flexible with my schedule and life, very understanding to family emergencies. The hardest part of my job was watching the store permanently and losing all the friends I had made and the job I enjoyed. I loved my job, I hated having to close it.
Fashion based company
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Meriden, CTMarch 23, 2013
A typical day included assisting customers with clothing sizing and purchasing, as well as creating a fashion driven sales floor.
Typically, the co-workers maintained a balanced setting, and were customer service based. Unfortunately, the management was not as customer based driven, despite the fact that the company was overall.
The most enjoyable part of the job was assisting women feel more comfortable in their bodies by helping them find clothing that complimented their body style and their personality at the same time.
Pros
discount on clothing
Cons
lack of consistency in scheduling
Productive and fun people to work with. Lots of party events
Administrative Assistant to the VP of QA/QC (Former Employee) –  Bensalem, PANovember 12, 2013
I really enjoyed working for Charming Shoppes. I met a lot of good people that I am still friendly with. The VP's that I worked for were 2 very fair and made the work day enjoyable. They both taught me a lot. The most enjoyable part of the job were the wonderful people that were always willing to help you if you had a problem
Pros
tv in break area, activities for july 4th, great people to work for
Cons
low raises
Depending on the DM, can be a fun place to work
Part time Team Lead (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FloridaMarch 5, 2012
I love the management of the store, itself; however, the DM was not very supportive. Also, they really don't care about their associates or team leads and will close a store without the proper notice, which is not very professional at all. Other then that...not the worst company that I have worked for.
Pros
nice bonus at times
Cons
no job security, unprofessionalism, unrealistic credits and perks goals
Review
HRIS Analyst/Reports Specialist (Former Employee) –  Bensalem, PAJune 28, 2013
Charming Shoppes, Inc is a great place to work and has excellent benefits. Relaxed culture and laid back dress code make for a relatively friendly environment
Great company that really cares about each individual employee.
Enjoyed the work of security and reporting for management.
Good pay and benefits fast paced. keeps it challenging to keep you on your toes.
Working from home was a plus. team mates are great.
Production
Associate (Former Employee) –  Greencastle, INApril 15, 2013
My typical day was always filling orders, stocking replenishment, and inventory. I learned about the demands of Fashion Bug stores and their demand for clothing, shoes, and jewelry. Management was very good and they cared about their employees. Co-workers were team players and worked well with everyone. I did not find anything that was hard about the job. The enjoyable parts were the benefits of working with the people and how the company was ran.
Spring water maker
Keyholder (Current Employee) –  Easton, PAFebruary 12, 2013
Check emails, wait on customers, I learned giving the best Customer service will bring more customers & business to our company. Our mgnr shows & coaches us to be the best in what we do. The hardest part is helping customers with their choices. Being able to help customers. My co-workers are my team, we all work together for our store.
Pros
get discounts