Charming Shoppes, Inc. Employee Reviews

Good Stepping Stone For My Career
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Cuyahoga Falls, OHNovember 25, 2017
I put in a lot of time on a weekly basis and missed many family functions. My personal manager was wonderful and really made the environment fun. Her manager (the District Manager) was less than pleasant. There was no room for advancement and when the store was shut down I was not offered a position at another store in the area.
Great leadeship and family atmosphere.
DISTRICT MANAGER - Specialty Retail (Former Employee) –  Nor-CalOctober 24, 2017
Charming Shoppes, Inc. aka Fashion Bug (Specialty Retail) is no longer in business.
However, it was a great company to work for. I thoroughly enjoyed my time employed as a Store Manager and as a District Manager during the 5 years I was employed.
Pros
Awesome company to work for.
Cons
The company is no longer in business.
good company
District Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 15, 2017
Opened many stores and hired many people and established stores within the community, Operations focused and daily visual merchandising. Workforce was dedicated.
Pros
supportive management team
Cons
extenisive travel
Manager, Merchandising Systems (Former Employee) –  Bensalem, PASeptember 21, 2017
The work environment was very nice place to work. Always room for advancement and furthering your abilities. Available training and instruction. Family friendly.
Pros
Nice workplace
Cons
Some travel required
Fast paced work environment
Assistant Buyer (Former Employee) –  Bensalem, PASeptember 8, 2017
I was laid off from Charming Shoppes due to the company closing. I assisted the buyer in choosing the assortment of merchandise for our department. I ran selling reports on a consistent basis and presented at sales meetings. What I struggled most with was time management at Charming Shoppes. I had various responsibilities and sometimes didn't have enough time to complete tasks in a timely fashion. I enjoyed choosing the merchandise with my buying team. I also enjoyed analyzing the selling reports to see what merchandise consumers were purchasing.
Pros
great experience in fashion merchandising
Cons
company was not profitable and closed
Enjoyable place to work
Sales Associate / Sales Leader (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJune 18, 2017
Enjoyed working with a great group of ladies. We are still friends today. The company taught me how to stage a store. It also help me with retail color wheel. The hardest part of the job was climbing the ladder to place displays
Pros
cover dishes and company style shows
Cons
standing all day long
Company invested in their associates and were very supportive
Regional Loss Prevention Manager, Northeast (Former Employee) –  Bensalem, PAMay 31, 2017
during my employment with the company they invested in the associate as provided education and advancement, overall corporate management were excellent
Pros
Great working relationships
Cons
Extensive travel
Excellent company to work for
Mananger Construction West Coast (Former Employee) –  Bensalem, PAApril 21, 2017
Afforded a great deal of autonomy. The Team counted on me to perform with minimal direction and oversight.

I managed the vendors, suppliers, contractors delivering 98% projects on time and under budget.
Pros
Autonomy
Cons
recession eliminated position
The pay was good but not a very fun place to work.
Quality Assurance Inspector (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INApril 13, 2017
You spend the entire day standing in a little office with 4 other people, 4 additional large tables to measure textiles; it was cramped. I did enjoy learning a new area of expertise. There was a company-wide no raise for 2 years.
Pros
Salary, coworkers, learning a new area of expertise
Cons
Micro-managers, small space, no opportunity for advancement
No Work Life Balance
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  San Marcos, TXApril 6, 2017
Do not work for this company if you expect to be a manager and have any kind of outside life. Also, there is a serious lack of communication from the top down. You will be told the day of a major ad set that you have to stay super late just to fulfill their wishes.
Wonderful experience working in corporate retail
store operations coordinator (Former Employee) –  Bensalem, PAMarch 20, 2017
Charming Shoppes was a great experience - I learned so much about building a path to success by working with the exceptional Executive Leadership Team!
catherines
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Deptford, NJMarch 14, 2017
The job is good and rewarding. There is a lot of reporting of figures.
Most stores only have a one two two coverage. Customer service is key. The clientel is in age range from 50 to 80 yrs old.
Co-Manager (Former Employee) –  Willowick, OHMarch 5, 2017
Working at Fashion Bug, (Charming Shoppes,Inc), It was very rewarding. But, the management lacked in grace,poise, and professionalism.
Fun environment
Sales Manager at Fashion Bug (Former Employee) –  Rome, NY 13440February 18, 2017
Fashion Bug was a fun place to work. All employees got along great and the managers taught me so much! They had amazing products.
It was a very exciting time. The company was growing at a tremendous pace.
Design Director, Denim & Denim-related Sportswear (Former Employee) –  Bensalem, PASeptember 1, 2016
It was quite fun and exciting. I had a very unique position that I built.

It was a fun atmosphere for the most part, because of the staff. I had the unique position of merchandising my own dept so I got to work closely with Advertising and Planning.

I had great support from the CEO and President, two terrific gentlemen.

I was able to bring my Hong Kong staff from a former job with me.

This job was rewarding in almost every way.
Pros
Great cafeteria, great co workers, exciting travel
Cons
The two main department heads were always at each others throats
Expect too much work done in too little time.
Assistant to Manager/Full Time Sales Leader (Former Employee) –  Dover, DEApril 25, 2016
Regularly had to work additional time (off the clock) to complete required paperwork. Regional management not helpful with any aspect of store management. Whenever there is a Corporate shake-up they blame any problems on store management, and (start over) with new management.
Pros
co-workers
Cons
Corporate and store management differ in rules.
Fun
FTK, Assistant (Former Employee) –  Centerton, NJFebruary 11, 2016
As a Store manager I was responsible for overall store operations and sales. The most enjoyable part of my days was dealing with the employees and training them on how to be successful and to learn the store oeprations.
Pros
location
Cons
70 hour work weeks
Good environment
administrative assistant (Former Employee) –  Bensalem, PAJanuary 18, 2016
Charming Shoppes has closed but I enjoyed my time there. The environment was very positive and professional. The good benefits and room for advancement.
Pros
good envirnoment
Cons
no cons
Fun and helpful
assist telephone and online customers (Former Employee) –  Stevens Point, WIDecember 14, 2015
I enjoyed this job because I was able to help customers with their orders. I learned that some customers are easier to help then others because some customers got really mad because someone messed up their order.
Because of this company, I lost my job.
Co-Manager (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLNovember 16, 2015
This company had offered me benefits as well as a good position. So, I decided to leave Payless, a store I had worked at for ten years. Turned out I had made a mistake, as this company went out of business a year later.
Pros
N/a
Cons
N/a