Charming Shoppes, Inc. Employee Reviews

It was a very exciting time. The company was growing at a tremendous pace.
Design Director, Denim & Denim-related Sportswear (Former Employee) –  Bensalem, PASeptember 1, 2016
It was quite fun and exciting. I had a very unique position that I built.

It was a fun atmosphere for the most part, because of the staff. I had the unique position of merchandising my own dept so I got to work closely with Advertising and Planning.

I had great support from the CEO and President, two terrific gentlemen.

I was able to bring my Hong Kong staff from a former job with me.

This job was rewarding in almost every way.
Pros
Great cafeteria, great co workers, exciting travel
Cons
The two main department heads were always at each others throats
Good environment
administrative assistant (Former Employee) –  Bensalem, PAJanuary 18, 2016
Charming Shoppes has closed but I enjoyed my time there. The environment was very positive and professional. The good benefits and room for advancement.
Pros
good envirnoment
Cons
no cons
Amazing company!
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Strongsville, OHJune 4, 2012
I've been with this company for years, it is really a great place to be. When customers come in who are truly frustrated or unhappy with their clothes, we have a real chance to not only help them love their clothes, but themselves. This is especially true with bra clients; most either know they are in the wrong size or they never truly knew their size to begin with. Being able to help these women is a really great thing, especially with the women who are more "blessed" in their top halves. Knowing they can always come to us and we will give them the best fit possible, or direct them to the company that can is truly a gift.

When customers rave about you to the point they make you blush and tear up, you know you're in the right company and right job.
Pros
freebies, discount, flexible scheduling, availability for advancement
Cons
no part time benefits
I enjoy talking with people, so this position was fun for me.
Client Service/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Marshfield, WIJanuary 18, 2013
This was a fast paced call center with various dutied-answering incoming calls, imput customer retail orders, apply payments, make adjustments, when necessary and track deliquent merchandise. I learned how to treat each call as a individual call and always have a listening ear. Management was always supportive ,especially when the company announced it was moving from Marshfield. The co-workers were fun to work with and some of us are still in contact with each other. The hardest part was defusing a irate customer but I know how to utilize my listening skills and probing techniques. The most most enjoyable part of this job was taste testing new items.
Pros
always learning new techniques
Cons
no benefits
Because of this company, I lost my job.
Co-Manager (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLNovember 16, 2015
This company had offered me benefits as well as a good position. So, I decided to leave Payless, a store I had worked at for ten years. Turned out I had made a mistake, as this company went out of business a year later.
Pros
N/A
Cons
N/A
Expect too much work done in too little time.
Assistant to Manager/Full Time Sales Leader (Former Employee) –  Dover, DEApril 25, 2016
Regularly had to work additional time (off the clock) to complete required paperwork. Regional management not helpful with any aspect of store management. Whenever there is a Corporate shake-up they blame any problems on store management, and (start over) with new management.
Pros
co-workers
Cons
Corporate and store management differ in rules.
Productive and fun people to work with. Lots of party events
Administrative Assistant to the VP of QA/QC (Former Employee) –  Bensalem, PANovember 12, 2013
I really enjoyed working for Charming Shoppes. I met a lot of good people that I am still friendly with. The VP's that I worked for were 2 very fair and made the work day enjoyable. They both taught me a lot. The most enjoyable part of the job were the wonderful people that were always willing to help you if you had a problem
Pros
TV in break area, activities for July 4th, great people to work for
Cons
Low raises
Review
HRIS Analyst/Reports Specialist (Former Employee) –  Bensalem, PAJune 28, 2013

Charming Shoppes, Inc is a great place to work and has excellent benefits. Relaxed culture and laid back dress code make for a relatively friendly environment
Great company that really cares about each individual employee.
Enjoyed the work of security and reporting for management.
Good pay and benefits fast paced. keeps it challenging to keep you on your toes.
Working from home was a plus. team mates are great.
Production
Associate (Former Employee) –  Greencastle, INApril 15, 2013
My typical day was always filling orders, stocking replenishment, and inventory. I learned about the demands of Fashion Bug stores and their demand for clothing, shoes, and jewelry. Management was very good and they cared about their employees. Co-workers were team players and worked well with everyone. I did not find anything that was hard about the job. The enjoyable parts were the benefits of working with the people and how the company was ran.
I loved everything about the company
Co-Manager (Former Employee) –  pittsburg,caMay 25, 2015
I loved the work environment, everyone was a team player, management was easy to work with, and it was easy to advance to another position. There was really nothing that was hard about my job, because everyone helped each other.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
meal break too short
Not my favorite at all
Sales Associate and Freight Personnel (Former Employee) –  Huntsville, ALApril 9, 2014
I worked for this company for a few years and I was able to see the inner changes that were made. I would not recommend this company as an employer. I have seen a total lack of regard for the customer and their prefernces and needs displayed by this company.
Cons
Pay/Compensation, Lack of Teamwork, Low Quality Goods
Some of the best years of my career
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLAugust 17, 2012
This company sets very clear and understandable goals. They truly help you push yourself to achieve where you want to be in the company. Upper management is always approachable.
Pros
everything!
Cons
benefits could have been a bit better
The area this store was in was friendly.
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Marysville, MIApril 2, 2013
The Charming shoppes wasn't a bad place to work. I was a store manager for 4 1/2 years. When new upper management came in they downsized and hired people with less experience and for less money.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
n/a
Great Experience
Analyst (Current Employee) –  Bensalem, PAJune 27, 2012
Great location, good solid benefits with great Flex opportunities/Summer hours program. Opportunity to telecommute for some, cafeteria on-site.
Pros
hours, flexibility
Cons
no long term stability
A nice place to work
Warehouse Associate (Former Employee) –  White Marsh, MDMay 28, 2012
I love working at charming shoppes I would work there again I love the way the managers greet you in the morning and work close with you it was a great working experience.
Pros
good working enviorment good benefits
Cons
i have no cons
Fashion forward industry and fun place to work.
Store Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Garden Grove, CAJanuary 10, 2012
Great company to work for. Many tools given to run your business efficiently. Opportunity to grow within company.
Pros
free lunches, cash bonus, healthcare benefits
Cons
short breaks
Was an Excellent comany but is now closing.
Quality Assurance Inspector Full-time (Former Employee) –  White Marsh, MDAugust 8, 2012
Was an Excellent comany but is now closing.
Company had good benefits like the school rebusment, etc.
Productive and fun
Payroll Associate (Former Employee) –  Bensalem, PAOctober 16, 2015
I was at Charming Shoppes for over 20 years. I was a stable job until it was outsourced in 2010. I enjoyed working there and knew the job very well. The management and the co-workers that I worked with were all team players and had the same goal in getting people paid correctly and on time.
Pros
Enjoyable colleages
Cons
There was no room for advancement
Productive Company
Brand Marketing Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Bensalem, PAJuly 20, 2012
Harworking company with experienced hardworking employees
Muliple meetings daily
A majority of positive associates
Pros
company moral
Cons
salary
Unfriendly work environment
Call Center/Tech Support (Former Employee) –  Bensalem, PAJuly 9, 2013
Job involves answering calls and diagnosing issues based on POS system software or hardware issues. Typically you answer calls, fix frozen programs and order hardware for damaged machines.

The job was an intro to the help desk industry. I learned a lot about how to diagnose bad hardware from common error messages.

Management is unpleasant. Unwilling to work with employees to better environment from a practical standpoint. Unhelpful. Lack of interest in making sure employees are happy or fully trained. Most learning is done by the employee by asking another employee. Problems are dealt with by punishing the employee who needs help. On average turnover is high because of this attitude towards employees.

Co-workers are fun people who are great to work with. Despite management, the employees have a great team spirit and are incredibly helpful to everyone around them.

The hardest part of the job was dealing with constantly being belittled by people on the phone and by management. A general feeling of being the bottom of the barrel persisted in the office creating a gloomy atmosphere. Also there was no recourse for a location to call in and scream at the technicians.

On the flip side talking to certain clients was incredibly enjoyable. Working together to solve problems with a store location was fun and fulfilling. Problem solving tricky issues made the job interesting.

On the whole the days off were excellent (17 PTO.) But you were often not allowed to schedule them. Benefits were excellent. Pay was below industry standard at the time of my leaving.
Pros
PTO, benefits
Cons
no training, improper management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Charming Shoppes, Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.