Charter College Employee Reviews

Charter College Nursing program
Faculty - Full Time Nursing Instructor (Current Employee), Anchorage AlaskaSeptember 11, 2014
Great place to work, new school of nursing, growing fast and preparing for ACEN survey.
For Profit College
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Wasilla, AKSeptember 2, 2014
This company has serious issues, the bottom line is always about money never about what is ethical.
For-profit franchise that calls itself a College
Admissions Assistant (Former Employee), PascoJune 30, 2014
Pros: motivated me to higher my standards for jobs i'll accept - charter is very low on that scale, was poor pay but good enough for some weekend play money, easy to not miss!!
Cons: mismanagement, conflicting info, superficial employees trying to make a buck
Very redundant work day. High employee turnover. Too much micromanaging with contradicting information. Incompetence abounds in upper management.

Directors of Admissions will constantly look over your shoulder but luckily, they aren't very intimidating (they are the least formidable bosses one could have) so it was just annoying and counterproductive. They seemed bored with their jobs but who can blame them? The DOAs are unconfrontational to the point that they won't confront you on what could be done for improvement. They will find a roundabout way such as joking about it or sending someone (who – more... isn't your boss) to tell you.

The friendly facade of admission reps gets students reeled into debt, lured by the appealing short length of time they will need to get a (regionally UNaccredited) degree.

Note to students: Credits are NOT transferrable to regionally accredited colleges (state colleges, community colleges , most traditional colleges). I work at a community college and anytime someone comes in with a Charter transcript, we have to tell them none of those credits will transfer. Everytime without fail, the student looks surprised and tells us how they were told by Charter that they would. If you want to know if Charter credits are transferable, ask the institution you plan on transferring to, not Charter. That's the number one mistake students make. On the other hand, if you're looking to go into debt, get into a trade, not advance or transfer, and hope to god someone will hire you and pay you enough to pay back your debt in a timely fashion, by all means, go to Charter.

Overall consensus: NOT WORTH IT. You will be told constantly what you're doing wrong and micromanaged. STEER CLEAR. If you want a career in education, work for a real, regionally accredited college. – less
Flexible job
Welding Instructor/ Tool Room Manager (Current Employee), Anchorage, AlaskaJune 17, 2014
Great people to work with. Good compensation and great work scedule
Amazing and friendly staff. Family oriented and professional
IT Network Technician- Campus IT (Current Employee), Wasilla, AKMay 2, 2014
Wow. It was great to work here, I had a terrific and fantastic time and learned so much about professionalism from both the employees and managers.
I hated every minute.
Admissions Representative (Former Employee), Lancaster, CAApril 24, 2014
High pressure, boiler room sales tactics are used to enroll unsuspecting, financially challenged, students seeking a career into programs that if they are lucky enough to find a job will end up making minimum wage. 6 day work weeks are regular. Unprofessional behavior goes unpunished if sales goals are met. Inappropriateness abounds.
Life at Charter College
Financial Aid Officer (Current Employee), Long Beach, CAApril 9, 2014
Pros: education compensation, quality people
Cons: health care, no sick time (all pto), compensation, value of employees
Charter College is an okay company, the people I work with are cool and the students are a joy but can be challenging at times due to the demographic. A typical day at work for me is clearing files, meeting with students and collecting payments. There is always something to do, which keeps my day interesting. In the five years I have been with the company I have learned so much. Structure, the importance of hard work and dedication, and patience. Management is okay, I don't have a direct manager but used to until they dissolved the position. My co-workers are great, they all have good energy and knowledge that they continually bring to the table. The hardest part of my job is when I have to give not such good news to students regarding their accounts. It's hard sometimes to not put yourself in their shoes. But there are some enjoyable parts of my job and that is when I see a student understand how their accounts work. Or when they are successful in their program and they successfully graduate. It reminds me of why I am in higher education to begin with.
CC
Financial Aid Officer (Current Employee), BellinghamApril 7, 2014
Benefits are poor, no room to advance in career, management is moody,
Worst workplace ever!
Admission's Representative (Former Employee), Long Beach, CAApril 3, 2014
Pros: christmas dinner
Cons: bad management, no job security, did i mention bad managment
This has to be the worst management I have ever experienced. For example the campus president would ask you how are you today? If you said, "good", his response was what's so good about it, how many enrollments do you have? The place turns over employees like you and I change underwear. The students are not happy, the teacher's are ok at best. I walked out of this job after they brought their admissions team into closed doors and began screaming at them. How they are in business is a mystery, and these positive reviews are ploys.
Productive and fun
Medical Assistant Instructor (Former Employee), Canyon Country, CAMarch 11, 2014
Pros: compensation/benefits
Cons: the change of accredatations and management
I was an instructor for four years and during that time I enjoy working there. The faculty and administrators were professional and well trained. I enjoy working for this company because the compensation/benefits were great. (if you were a full time instructor)
A horrible place to work
Loan Coordinator (Former Employee), Canyon Country, CAFebruary 24, 2014
Cons: horrible benefits, no job security, location
Three campus presidents in two years, high turnover in admissions department, and horrible location. Company was downsizing in staff every quarter due to low enrollments. Great opportunity for the right student wanting to pursue a career.
Such an upbeat and fun place to work
Dean's Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Anchorage, AKFebruary 17, 2014
Pros: learning new stuff everyday
Cons: i really don't remember any cons
Typical day was inputing data, running errands for the college, ordering supplies, paying vendors. There really wasn't anything to hard about the job. The most enjoyable was being able to mingle with teachers and students, and other faculty members.
Great learning
Student (Former Employee), Long Beach, CAJanuary 27, 2014
I attended this school for a GED PREP class and actually was surprised at the learning method.
Insufficient compensation and benefits package.
Education Loan Specialist (Current Employee), Canyon Country, CAJanuary 9, 2014
Lots of energy for student activities. Little room for advancement, mediocre salaries compared to industry standards, Benefits are horrible for extended family size.
It was ok
Teachers Assistant (Former Employee), Canyon Country, CAJanuary 6, 2014
It was a decent job, the hours were not enough and getting laid off really was unfortunate, but a positive experience around.
Awesome
Registrar Assistant (Former Employee), Bellingham, WAOctober 31, 2013
This was a great place to work and go to school. Management and coworkers were fantastic, I was sad to leave.
Just a little note for new employees
Admissions (Former Employee), Oxnard CampusOctober 16, 2013
Pros: benefits, it's a paycheck, co workers are fun and very social
Cons: corporate office cannot make up their minds!
1.) Front desk work is very busy, especially during the first Mod of class start! The phones will ring off the hook while you are by your self. You have to CONSTANTLY answer the phone no matter what you cannot have a missed phone call. Then students will come to you while you are on the phone and it gets very very very busy! Be warned!
2.) If you have allergies to cigarettes, it would be a bad idea to get the job here. Co workers smoke cigarettes so much then comes in and out of the office and you can smell cigarettes.
3.) Enrollment packets CONSTANTLY change! Every single month! What a joke! They – more... can't keep a constant enrollment agreement. So you have to keep up with printing those! Talk about killing trees
4.) Programs constantly change as well!! Corporate office CANNOT make up their minds!
5.) They say they care about students, BUT honestly... all they care about is reaching their goals 20 enrollments per week, all they really care about is number and money.
6.) You will get layed off without prior notice. Saw 2 of my co workers layed off immediately due to budget/funding cuts
7.) Supervisor constantly watch you
8.) Annoying admissions assistant employee, you hardly CANNOT take days off / time off because of coverage/no one is able to work your shift
9.) you have to work 11 a.m. - 8p.m. twice a week and a weekend. – less
Productive and fun workplace. .
PC Repair Technician (Former Employee), Vancouver, WAOctober 4, 2013
Recorded sessions for online classes, set up, maintenance, and troubleshooting of equipment. Mentored and tutored students.
I learned about the teaching aspect in a lab environment, more about one of the subjects I was attending while in college to prepare me for certifications. Management was easy to get along with and had a great interpersonal relationship.
Independent local College that effectively specializes in education to work careers.
Assistant Director, Academic Services/Recruiter (Former Employee), Anchorage, AKSeptember 25, 2013
Pros: loved working in an educational environment and with so many different types of people.
Cons: n/a
Academic Associate (recruiter): Alot of phone time talking with and screening potential students, setting up interviews with candidates and accomplishing detailed revelation of education goals and what it would be like as a student at Charter College, processing enrollments. Job Fairs and outside represenation of the college. Interface with Admissions, Instructors and other departments in this effort.

Assistant Director of Academic Services: All of the above plus interviewing, hiring, training and supervising other Academic Associates.

The hardest part was dealing with lots of divergent sales oriented personalities. Great opportunity to continue building skill in human relations while still keeping myself and them focused on the mission of enrollong students.

This was a fun work environment. Everyone had a great sense of humor even with the occassional drama and we were all competitive in a good way.
This place is a joke
Enrollment Processor (Current Employee), AnonymousSeptember 17, 2013
Pros: it's a paycheck
Cons: horrible management. unethical practices towards students and emloyees.
When I was first hired on I was excited to begin an exciting new career. In a matter of a few short months my spirits sunk as my eyes were opened to the ugliness and desperation of this company. As soon as my counterpart trained me for a few short weeks, they laid her off because they could make me do the same job for less money they were paying her. I struggled like crazy to keep my head above the water with no positive reinforcement or encouragment. Now after a couple months of working on my own I see they have re-posted my same same position. Now my eyes are REALLY opened. They want to keep me on just long enough to train the new victim/employee (who they will pay the same low rate) and then they will let me go just before I receive the one year guarenteed raise. Please, if you are considering applying, do not waste your time and energy. They will lie to you, trap you, enslave you, and then spit you out once they have sucked you dry. They do not care about their employees or their students.