Charter Communications

Charter Communications Employer Reviews

Decent culture with questionable management and weekly policy changes.
Technician (Current Employee), TexasJune 30, 2014
Pros: discounted services
Cons: no breaks throughout the day.
Weekly policy changes. Best part of job is independence throughout the day. Worst part is the hours...Long days
Difficult job, but great company to work for
Billing Advisor (Current Employee), Fond du Lac, WIJune 29, 2014
The benefits and perks for working here are great. The people you work with are pretty amazing, too. You have to have thick skin for the job, but it gets easier over time.
Strong cohesion among field technicians.
Advanced Broadband Installer (Former Employee), Greenville, SCJune 29, 2014
Pros: benefits, compensation, friends, truly a fun and rewarding job.
Cons: dangerous work; i saw electrical shocks, falls, spider bites, car accidents in my 7 months.
Hours were 8am - 5pm plus frequent mandatory overtime.
Disconnect and installed, troubleshooted and repaired cable, internet and telephone services.
Some management would bend over backwards to help you, others were seemingly absentee throughout the day.
Co-workers were loyal, friendly and we would go the extra mile for each other every single day.
The – more... hardest part of the job was keeping up with all of the parts and equipment every aspect of the job. Easily over 100 different parts, tools and equipment we had to order, organize, use and maintain daily. That and training was short (only 2 weeks) before I was out there alone doing advanced installs.
Most enjoyable part of the job was being out there in the field building and maintaining the system that brings TV, internet and phone to people's homes.
I left the job voluntarily because I suffered a 500+ volt shock that went through my chest. It caused no burns, and I seemed to shrug it off. A manager checked me over and said I looked fine; but in the long term it must have been that shock that rendered me weak, confused and tired for the rest of the month, of which I didn't take a single extra day off. I lost my appetite and thirst, and lost 20 lbs that month. I could no longer keep up with the work load, and started making very stupid mistakes. My manager was all over me, and I felt constantly exhausted. I could barely carry my ladder anymore. Before that I was an all star, I was topping the charts among my team mates, jumping across creeks with my ladder on my shoulder, and never made mistakes.
Since then I have rehabilitated myself and am in good physical condition again. They say test for electricity for 3 seconds with the VOM, I say test for 10. Electrical currents can "ghost" when a neutral to ground is broken: that is, be invisible for a few seconds, but suddenly surge. That's what got me. – less
Provides cable, internet, and phone serivce
Retentins Sales Representative (Current Employee), Walker MichiganJune 25, 2014
Pros: commission
Cons: constant schedule change
A typical day at Charter starts on the phones and ends on the phones. Charter is a company focused on delivering an exemplary level of customer service. I work with Management every day to ensure we as a team are meeting necessary Charter business goals. I've learned how to multi task and I have a different respect for time management as that was a – more... primary focus of my position. The most enjoy part of my job is being recognized for being consistently above average. – less
Fun work place, lots of advancement oportunity
Business Billing Representative (Current Employee), Rochester, MNJune 25, 2014
typical day taking calls helping customers with issues

always learning something new

great management team and co-workers always willing to support you with what you need, made lots of friends

hardest part of the job is the stress of angry customers

really enjoyed all the people I worked with and the opportunity to advance
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee), Rochester, MNJune 23, 2014
Pros: free tv and internet!
Cons: stressful
Overall I would say Charter is a good place to work if you can handle a high-stress job on a daily basis.
A typical day at work is busy and you do have to deal with some difficult customers while being monitored by supervisors, quality people and other management individuals.
The nicest part of the job is when you can help someone with an issue they've – more... been struggling with in just minutes and they are so grateful. It makes you feel good. Co-workers are nice too.
The hardest part of the job is the high stress level you deal with on a daily basis.
Charter has great benefits and if you're motivated and want to move up there are tons of opportunities. – less
Excellent workplace
Broadband Technican (Current Employee), Slidell, LouisianaJune 23, 2014
A good place to work, easy to get promoted. Hardest part about the job is doing installs. Installs are time consuming.
Big Call Center
Retention Specialist (Former Employee), Vancouver, WAJune 23, 2014
Pros: prizes, commission, bbq
Cons: shift bids too often
If you like working in call centers, this is better than most. A lot of great co-workers and supervisors. The hardest part of the job is keeping up on all new products and stats that you have to maintain. The most enjoyable part is prizes that are given out.
Productive workplace
Customer Service/Problem Resolutions (Current Employee), Charlotte, NCJune 22, 2014
Pros: no pros
Cons: no cons
Not much to write. You go in, log into the phones, and then go home.
Love my job
Direct Sales Rep (Current Employee), Gardendale, ALJune 22, 2014
Pros: oportunity to write my own commission check, excellent training and support. good benefits.
Cons: nothing worth complaining about
I see so many people on here complaining about this job but I love what I do. Very good training and my supervisor gives me the tools and support to help me be successful. Hours are not bad and are flexible as long as you are performing. I get to know some really nice people everyday. Sure there are some jerks to deal with, just take them with a grain – more... of salt and move on. Sure I have to work in the heat and at times bad weather but they pay very well as long as you perform. Awesome perks and benefits. – less
Cable installation job with career advancement.
Advanced Broadband Installer (Former Employee), Duluth, GAJune 21, 2014
Pros: decent pay/benefits, structured management, company vehicle.
Cons: not so great service
At Charter Communications, one will be trained extensively in the art of cable installation. He/she will be sent to the front lines to test their newly acquired skills and prove they are, indeed, everything Charter Communications is looking for. Expect to deal with all types of environments from blistering heat to sub-freezing rain, all while making – more... sure that your job is done in a manner that would bring honor to your family. The most enjoyable part of my job was every Wednesday we would get breakfast during our meetings. – less
ok place to work has great pay
Internet/Phone Repair Rep I (Former Employee), Louisville, KYJune 19, 2014
Pros: hour lunch, pay training
Cons: supervisors, benefits, restroom breaks, working holidays, 24/7 call center
the job was ok to work at first, especially in training. Training was really fun and hands on it has to be the best training I've had at any job. But once you get out of training it goes down hill. It is a 24/7 call center and they have it to where you have to bid on shifts to work on holidays. for example if you get out of training around thanksgiving – more... and christmas time you will more than likely have to work those holidays. They want you to at least work 2 holidays throughout the year, and people normally want to work the earlier holidays in the year. Now with the bidding for a shift for a holiday you CAN't work your normal shift like 9a-6p. you have to bid for a shift and hopefully you will get one of the shifts you placed a bid for. If not and you havent worked a holiday more than likely you will be backfilled and then you are stuck with a horrible shift like the early shifts of 4a-12p on Christmas really. Nobody wants to work on Christmas especially not that shift. And everything there is about numbers and ranks, there are goals set for everything they want you to troubleshoot a customers issue in less than 8 mins, and you have to at least troubleshoot with a customer even if they are adamate about not wanting to troubleshoot. to me it felt like you were just a number there, there wasnt really any one on one with your supervisor. I hated this job. You had a certain time to login into the computers and when you had to use the restroom you had a certain time to be back on the phone. – less
Exciting products and services, fun place to work.
Inside Sales / Retention Lead (Former Employee), Fort Worth,TXJune 18, 2014
Pros: the hours of operation were usually daytime or bank hours, benefits were great-free cable, internet, etc..
Cons: short breaks, at times stressful
My role was in retention and saving clients from cancellation. My department was the last straw effort for charter to maintain ultimate customer satisfaction. If anything needed fixing, it was my job to try to turn things around for our customers. I had a 90 percent sucess rate and not only saved our customers,but upsold products and services to them – more... after gaining trust and ensuring customer satifaction. – less
Very demanding and challenging environment with no core values,but excellent pay to keep employees there
Billing Advisor (Former Employee), Fond du Lac, WIJune 12, 2014
Pros: free internet, cable, telephone. good insurance
Cons: short lunches, poor morale
The people at Charter are as varied as the community, so you have both good and bad co-workers. The pay,free services, and insurance are good,but the environment is tough to stay in for long. The shifts change every 6 months or less, and if you aren't a top performer, you don't get a lot of choice on your days/hours. Teams change all the time, since – more... people (including management) leave all the time, so people have to be shifted around. I would say a vast majority of employees aren't happy, but are there for the good pay. – less
High volume call center
Retention Specialist (Former Employee), Walker, MIJune 11, 2014
-The retention department was the department of last resort for a customer with a billing and/or service issue. Most days required an exceptionally high level of customer service and problem resolution to keep a customer from cancelling their subscription. Many situations were static and common solutions for these existed. However, some situations were – more... quite dynamic and required quick and sometimes out-of-the-box thinking. The job itself consists of a 40 hours work week. The timing of these 40 hours changes periodically with a shift bid and top choices go to the representatives with the best statistics for things such as average handle time, call model, quality, revenue retention, and disconnect rate.
-This job provided me with a strong foundation with regards to treating customers professionally, with respect, and in a warm understanding tone.
-Weekly meetings occurred with management to review calls and an individuals numbers. Overall, management dedication and knowledge varied but most were highly skilled in all areas of our job and often were able to provide tips to improve areas that were lacking.
-Given that the people on the floor were talking to customers their entire work day, most coworkers kept to themselves. We would periodically have team meetings with our supervisors and leads wherein we would be able to converse and bounce ideas off of each other of what has been working for us on the phone with our customers.
-The hardest part of this job was the daily struggle to stay positive. In the wake of a 40 hour work week filled with customers who were angry, dissatisfied, and sometimes even just sad, it was difficult to keep up a cheerful disposition. That being said, one had to remember that only a small percentage of our customers were actually calling at a given time and that the vast majority of them loved our services and had no issues. Additionally, many customers hung up the phone happy after their problem had been resolved.
-The most enjoyable part of the job was the competition aspect for me. All numbers are tracked and depending on how you ranked in the call center, you were given a priority for things like commission, shift bids, etc. The second part that was enjoyable for me was the feeling of fixing something. Whether that be someone's internet connection, their television, saving someone money on their phone service. – less
Easy hours with good pay.
Direct Sales Rep (Current Employee), Fort Worth, TXJune 11, 2014
Pros: the pay.
Cons: the long hours.
Worked as a consultant and made good money. Met nice people there.
Dont Expect a Handout
Direct Sales Representative (Former Employee), Negaunee, MIJune 9, 2014
Pros: new market = great money
Cons: continuing market = no money
This was a very tough job and management made it a horrible experience. Dog eat Dog.

I would Never work for this company again!
Direct Sales Reps have long hours and no days off
Direct Sales Representative (Former Employee), Chicopee, MAJune 5, 2014
Pros: free cable service and ability to work independently out of office.
Cons: not time off or to see your family. sales not always counted.
A typical day at work begins with a conference call at 9:30 am. You are then on the road selling door to door from 11am to 8pm and you do work weekends. You work based mostly off of commission. The guidelines given to receive commission changes frequently. For example 10 triple plays to get a check to start then 12 sales to get a commission check. You – more... are not paid off of what you sell, you have to meet a minimum amount. Also if a customer cancels even after installed you most often will not get paid. You are given tool to help sell, however customer service and inside sales departments are given other deals to give that can affect your sale.
The best part of the job is the fee cable and internet service. – less
Enjoyed co-workers,
Temporary Customer Service Rep (Former Employee), Fallon nv.June 5, 2014
Pros: hour lunch break weekends off
Cons: hours- was off at 6:30pm and till had 1/2 hr. commute to my home.
This job involved heavy data entry and customer service.
I found the computer system very difficult to learn although position was temporary I felt the training process could have been more structured.
I did however enjoy interacting with the clients and stocking equipment during down time.
requirements
Sales agent, Customer Service (Former Employee), simpsonville, scJune 5, 2014
I was a sales agent that would schedule appointments for customer needs.

About Charter Communications

Charter Communications navigates the waters of US cable services. The cable system operator has about 5 million mostly-residential – Read more

Charter Communications Photos