Charter One Bank, N.A.

Charter One Bank, N.A. Employer Reviews

Productive and fun place to work
Assistant Branch Manager (Current Employee), Brownstown, MIAugust 12, 2014
Management promotes customer and employee engagement making it a fun place to work. Sales goals are aggressive yet attainable.
Co-workers are team orientated. Hours are a demanding,
Enjoyable place to work, competative and never boring.
ATM, Teller (Former Employee), Oregon, ohioAugust 12, 2014
Pros: good retirement benefits, good incentives
Cons: finding errors
My day consisted of setting up my teller window, the vault cash, and the ATM cash. Greeting every customer every time calling them by name as they enter. Assisting with drive up window, night drop deposits, answering phone calls. Booking appointments for the financial advisor. Doing presentations at businesses on banking products for the business and the employees.
I learned that each family and person has different needs in banking and it was important to help meet that need and find the products that worked best for them. That every person handles their money differently and some need more help that others. Educating and bringing to awareness the things that can help make their life easier.
Management is the team leader. When you have a good manager you have a good team. A good manager creates fun, challenges and incentives to motivate the team. We have had several good managers in the course of 21 years I've been working.
Your co-workers are your team mates, your support group, your friends, and almost family because you spend most of your day with them.
The most difficult part of the job is looking for an error that you have no idea where you messed up and recalling every transaction in the course of a super busy day.
The most enjoyable part of the job is meeting your customers over the course of time and getting to know everything about them and their families. Watching them grow up, grow old, go through illness, and even loss of a loved one. Helping them through each step of that journey. Being the one they can count on to do their business correctly and to care about their needs. Supporting them along the way.
Enjoyable work helping customers with financial services.
Personal Banker (Former Employee), Morton Grove, ILJuly 23, 2014
Pros: working with finances and problem solving.
Cons: limited compensation.
Offering customers products, establishing and closing different types of loans. I greatly enjoy working with numbers and problem solving involved with them, Compensation was less than I would be able to make at other jobs. I enjoyed working with my co-workers and we worked very well as a team.
Teller
Customer Service Representative/Personal Banker (Former Employee), Chicago, ILJuly 23, 2014
Gained experience and enjoyed helping customers. Pleasant work environment
VERY REWARDING
Escrow Clerk (Former Employee), 1261 SUPERIOR CLEVELAND OH 44114July 16, 2014
I WAS ABLE TO OBTAINED ALOT OF INFORMATION AND SKILLS WHICH I WAS ABLE TO USE ON OTHER JOBS.
Fast Pace Customer Service
Teller (Current Employee), Lathrup Village, MIJuly 15, 2014
Working at Charter One Bank is great. I get to meet a lot of fun an interesting people daily. I handle large cash transactions and multiple banking request from customers. I've learn that customer service is the most important part of working with the public. People Value a smile and good service. Management gives you room to explore and get a feel for the company while still keeping a close eye on you. My coworkers are great! They are real team players! The hardest part of my job is on rare occasions I have sort out exactly what the customer needs to do to get to the the end result they want because sometime they aren't sure about their transactions. The most enjoyable part about my job is helping people and meeting new people.
Teller
Teller (Former Employee), Chicago IlJuly 15, 2014
Balance cash drawer
Process transactions
Promote bank services to customers
Good Branch Cooperation
Loan Officer (Former Employee), Cleveland, OHJune 19, 2014
Pros: good branch culture
Cons: processing consistency was not there.
The training and mortgage systems are not in sync. There was little support from the manager and he was a producer too and had too many loan officers to assist. The compliance was strong.
Contract employee
Temporary assignment (Former Employee), Columbus, OHJune 12, 2014
Temporary employee only fro a 3 month project only underwriting mortgage loans.
Assistant Management Summary
Assistant Branch Manager (Former Employee), Lombard, ILJune 10, 2014
Pros: the customer service aspect of the job.
Cons: health care was not the best.
A typical day would be Manage and communicate promotional campaigns and product initiatives. Develop relationships with prospective business customers. Responsible for branch compliance with bank policies, procedures and operational integrity.
I have learned a great deal about banking and sales working at Charter One Bank.
My management style is more of a coaching style. I coach and teach by example. So the staff become better employees in operations and sales.
I believe working together as a team when working with my co-workers. A branch can not be successful without the whole teams support. The branch success does not fall on one person.
There really isn't a hard part of the job only when you are short staffed but if you have a good team even that isn't hard.
The most enjoyable part of the job would be dealing with the customers and solving their problem they feel they have.
n/a
Record File clerk (Former Employee), Cleveland, OHJune 10, 2014
Record filing in records room. Monday - Friday schedule
Normal work hours
good coworkers
Micromanaging company with low-rewards
Banker (Current Employee), MichiganJune 1, 2014
Pros: customers
Cons: micromanagers, mediocre rewards/pay, pessimistic managers, lack of employee loyalty, unethical hiring and advancement techniques
Managers continuously stand over you through your daily work questioning your actions and lack thereof with your customers. Everything that is done in their eyes could be done much better. Even if your branch is ahead of the competition there is never enough. You could always do better. Regardless of how many rewards and how much recognition the Branch/Regional Managers get for exceeding sales goals, the employees always are not doing well enough.

They are very deceiving in their hiring approach. They start you off at low pay and promise that the average banker makes $3,000 to 4,000 in each quarterly payout. This is very deceiving as bankers are given goals that are pretty much attainable but you don't receive the larger incentive payouts of $1,000 or more quarterly until you have exceeded 225% of your quarterly sales goals. The average banker across the board does not attain those sales due to lack of exceptional products, the company being behind in technology, and a forever changing leadership team. The average banker brings home less than $900.00 before taxes every 3 months (quarterly) in incentive pay.

Staff is continuing to be cut down to close to nothing in each branch, yet traffic is getting more and more busy. Customers are very upset at wait times and to add insult to injury, Charter One slashes your incentive pay by 20% due to customers not being happy. The main complaint is wait time which is inevitable when you do not have enough staff.

The most enjoying part of the job is the customers and customer loyalty. Customers believe in and cherish the people that service them daily. Also, there is a lot learned through growing with the company.
FUN WORKPLACE, AWESOME CO WORKERS
Receptionist (Former Employee), PARMA HEIGHTS,OHIOMay 26, 2014
Pros: hours, pay
Cons: healthcare, no breaks
I learned working here that you should always be productive. Management was great, and always accommodating to my needs. My coworkers took me in like i was family, and taught me a lot. I enjoyed the customers that came in on a weekly basis.
Charter One Bank was a great place to work
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Akron, OHMay 23, 2014
Pros: helping customes
Cons: when the branch was short handed on extreemly busy days.
A typical day for me at Charter One Bank was getting to work 30 to 45 minutes before openig so that I could enter the building to disarm the alarms.I would open the vault and get cash for any of the tellers and put my cash box in my assigned station. I would also get the night deposits and start processing them. I would also check the ATM machine to see if it needed to be balanced or add cash to it. Then I would evaluate how much cash to order based on the ATM machine and if a busy week was coming up. I then would help customers with their transactions and resolve any issues with their accounts. I also promoted products and services offered by the bank. I would occasionally notarize documents. I would help out any teller that had trouble understanding policy and procedures. I would go to festivals and events promoting products and services of the bank to get new customers.

Working for Charte One was a great starting point of my career in banking. It disciplined me on detail and documentation on transactions, logs and reports. I also developed my skills in sales.

I got along great with my co workers and manageent and still stay in contact with them.

The hard part for working with Charter One was the days the branch was short handed. The best part of woring at Charter One was helping the customers. The benefits and pay were good.

I left Charter One to seek out more growth in knowledge and experience.
Great opportunity to advance
Learning Liaison (Former Employee), Cleveland, OHMay 20, 2014
Pros: rewarding and gradifying position.
Cons: down sized
I started as a teller servicing customers with transaction. Advanced to FSR (Financial Service Rep) were I worked with loans and accounts. Once again advancing to Assistant Manager preforming the same as FSR with supervisor position and increasing responsibilities. I was approached by a supervisor to apply for their new hire training position were I enthusiastically stayed for the remaining time with Charter One Bank. 2 week Classroom setting for all new hired employees. Organization was key to my success as I was responsible for assessments on every new employee with consistent communication between several departments (HR, Hiring managers, Bank Protection, compliance). New positions developed with the RBS conversion were we created and implemented new ideas and structure to the Learning Liaison position. Hands on mentoring with branch personnel. Wonderful co-workers, best team I have been honored to work with.
A good company to work for
Personal Banker (Former Employee), Indianapolis, INMay 19, 2014
A very good company especially for those who want to learn more about banking products. A safe and welcoming environment to learn more about the financial industry
Nice and Fun Envirnoment
Bankruptcy Specialist (Former Employee), Cleveland, OHMay 18, 2014
For the short time i work here, they made me feel right at home. We had talent shows and other gathering to bring everyone together with the focus of teamwork. I worked here two months before finding out that the company had merged with a new bank and that our department was closing it's doors. Overall, this was a great place to work.
Surprisingly semi-plesant
Teller (Former Employee), Parma, OHMay 14, 2014
Lots of hours, decent pay. a few good co-workers that turned to friends
Great Learning Experience
ACCOUNTS PAYABLE SPECIALIST (Former Employee), Cleveland, OHMay 13, 2014
The managers at Charter One Bank gave me the necessary tools to be successful in my position.
Wonderful place to work
Assistant Branch Manager (Former Employee), Cleveland, OHMay 8, 2014
Pros: everything was great
Cons: distance to travel to work
Charter One was a great place to work. Customer service was wonderful with many products to offer the customer. They had incentives, bonuses, and a great vacation package.

About Charter One Bank, N.A.

Paper, plastic, or coin? No matter -- RBS Citizens Financial Group can handle it all. The company, formerly known as Citizens – Read more