Charter One Bank, N.A. Employee Reviews

Fast paced, customer service based astmosphere
Teller (Former Employee) –  Eau Claire, WINovember 13, 2015
Provided customer service
Processed banking transactions
Facilitated large cash transactions
Bought and sold money to the Federal Reserve Bank
Trained new employees
Completed monthly audits of other tellers
Redeemed customer bonds
Facilitated purchase of EE and I Bonds
Completed daily teller balancing report
Completed change orders for customers
Completed currency transaction reports
Balanced vault
Productive Workplace
Senior Account Representative (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHNovember 12, 2015
Day started off good. Work was easy and management very understanding. Worked there for 3yerars and was given the opportunity to move up. Never really had time to speak to co-workers as the department was always busy helping accountholders on the phone. There wasnt really a hard part of the job everything was easy. The best part i liked was that you were aknowledged when going an extra step.
Pros
Management very understanding
Good Place to work, but wasnt special
Teller Manager (Former Employee) –  Royal Oak, MINovember 2, 2015
I had my ups and downs with this company. Sometimes I felf management was really there for me, while other times I felt they completely abandoned me. I left the company after almost 8 years feeling very unappreciated, though I had a very successful track record. It is unfortunate I feel that way because there are a lot of great people working for the company...but at the same time, I see why their turn-over is so high. I hope they get that together. More focus on the employees could help them retain a lot of good talented people.
Productive and professional growth
Hotline Specialist/Loan Processor (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHNovember 2, 2015
I reviewed and disbursed 10 - 20 loan file documents for compliance with Bank policy. I learned Quality Service Skills to build relationship with customers & coworker. Although department goals was a challenge, boosting up we got the job done
Pros
Our team received month end bonuses
Cons
Recognize as employee of the month
unfair company
Assistant Branch Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Taylor, MISeptember 27, 2015
The only thing that came from working at this company was the second new outside manager hired in for branch manager that has become a really good friend. Before that the branch manager was transferred to a new location the company hired the first outside person for the branch manager position. Not once was I offered the branch manager position but I was capable to train someone else for it.
Horrible
Teller Manager/Universal Banker (Current Employee) –  Akron, OHMarch 14, 2016
No room to move up. No recognition. Company has no idea what they're doing and constantly changes rules, expectations, goals, and procedures.
Not the best place to work
Assistant Branch Manager II (Former Employee) –  Southfield, MIAugust 21, 2015
Company unfortunately didn't work with work life balance, High expectations and not the best incentive programs. Branch Managers were not motivating and experienced to help other employees progress within the company. Very dated for the process and procedures of waiting on customers
Pros
Training outside the branch very informative
Cons
no work/life balance, high expectations with little pay
Fun working place
Teller (Former Employee) –  Dearborn, MIDecember 2, 2015
working at the bank was fun and enjoyable. customers loved us and the hours were great. Even though they got bought out by Citizens bank their still have great services. It was easy to move around and apply for different positions and they are gladly happy to train people.
Good place to start and learn about finance.
Teller 2 (Former Employee) –  Harper Woods, MIJuly 10, 2015
TCF at that time had good interest rates so my job was to offer walk in customers our current Certificate of Deposit being able to up sale with another offer at the same time. I learned that you need to know exactly what's in your account to the penny. Management will help you if you want to learn. My co-workers were very professional and friendly. The hardest part of the job is when you first start you must continue to keep up with rules and regulations which change often alone with current offers of products and changing interest rates. You had and hour lunch, and it wasn't a stressfull job.
Pros
Learning about finance.
Cons
Low wages and no health care.
They're called Citizens Bank now
Assistant Branch Manager - Branch Business Banker (Former Employee) –  Royal Oak, MIOctober 13, 2015
This was a great start to understand how Corporate life on job is like. Sales driven financial institution that is pushing for results hour on the hour. Expectations are high and so are the goals.
Pros
Work life balance
Cons
Upper Management
Productive and fun environment to work in
Senior Processor (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHJune 24, 2015
A typical work day consists of ordering and reviewing title work, appraisals, entering customer information into the system. Communicating with lenders in order to get payoffs from companies in order to close and fund consumer lending loans. I learned what I needed to know in order to get the job done in a timely manner. I knew the process from beginning to end so I sent the loans to the right department to get the closing or funding process completed. Management was good. Co-workers were dedicated and passionate about their jobs. The hardest part about this job was learning people and their different personalities. The most enjoyable part of this job was assisting with the decision making process.
Pros
Great Commission at the end of the month
Cons
Heaithcare benefits
Great work environment
Teller 2 (Former Employee) –  Owosso, MIMarch 1, 2016
Friendly, professional, productive, and fun work place. I would love to work for them again or work for a similar company.
The job was good the saling was horrible
Teller Manager (Former Employee) –  Highland Park, MIMay 13, 2015
The hardest part of the job was when we was required to sale bank products and that was also a part of your review. You can't make a person get and maintain bank products. Even if the customer opened a account then closed it or fees was assessed they would not give the teller credit for the account in which I think was horrible because the bank did get money off that account (Fees).
Pros
the hours
Cons
pay rate
Fun place to work with
Customer Service Representative/Teller (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIApril 15, 2015
Typical day working at the bank is daily transactions and on my feet for 8 hours of the day. I learned many things from the financial side working there rather than being a customer walking into the bank. I learned about check cashing and verification, money orders, investment accounts, etc.

My coworkers were the best part of the job, we all got along and I believe that is very important in a work environment. We worked together as a team to help each other.
Charter One was a great place to work
Call Center Representative (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHNovember 15, 2015
I enjoyed working as a call center representative at Charter One Bank. It was a fun place to work. I learned a lot about the company, it's products and services and its customers.
Pros
Great co-workers
Cons
no cons
Charter One
Personal Banker (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHFebruary 11, 2015
my time spent working for Charter One was excellent and really helped mold me into the person and business man I am today. Through gudiance and mentors i had oppertunity to learn how to become a better me and growth and advancement with the company. Each day was a new and exciting challange filled with multitasking thought tough assinments. A typical day at charter one would start with morning meeting to help gear up for the day, followed by doors opening and enteracting with customers advicing and assisting their needs.I enjoyed everything about my job because i get to work with the public with opportunity to meet new people, helping to enrich their finacial and daily lifestyles.
Pros
growth and advancement, incentive plan
Ever-Changing Environment
Senior Universal Personal Banker (Current Employee) –  MichiganJanuary 19, 2015
I have worked for Charter One for many years now. It is a very sales oriented company to work for. I have learned to work hard, look at things outside of the box and to keep up with the constant changes. The hardest part of the job is giving it your all, sales wise, and not knowing what the possible reward will be at the end. The most enjoyable part of the job for me is working with tons of different types of people and the constant learning.
Pros
flexible work schedule
Cons
tough sales goals
Stability
Fraud Specialist/Sr Loss Avoidance pecialist (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHJanuary 11, 2015
Answering questions from customers and responding to all calls processed through Power Agent telephone system within a busy call center enviroment. Place calls through automated dialer system to leave messages, reconcile accounts, process transaction adjustments and negotiate payment arrangements.

Telephone Dialer Systems

Although the company claims to have Flex time policy for workers the management has a hard time allowing for flex time due to the shortage of employees.
Pros
Hours
Cons
Flextime
Enjoyed working face to face with customers to meet their needs.
Banker (Former Employee) –  Farmington, MIOctober 16, 2014
Had daily team huddles to discuss making target goals, call and set appointment's for new accounts from checking to loans, assist customers with account management ,process loans, open and close accounts.I learned to management my own money and budget. Management worked with bankers and co workers to make bank goals ,we all worked together as a team to have a good working environment and an make job goals. Your place banking was the hardest part of being a banker. The most enjoyable part was approving loans for customers.
Pros
Working face too face with public
Cons
Bonus program
Opportunities for the persistent
Licensed Banker (Current Employee) –  ClevelandSeptember 15, 2014
Typical day is spent largely on the phone trying to drive business and bring people in. People coming in typically have problems - so get used to wearing the 'problem solver' hat. (This can be equally frustrating and rewarding.)

Management micro-manages.

Co-workers will depend on the branch or the network of branches you are assigned.

Hardest part of the job is accounting for all of the mundane details that management wants you to put into reviewed notes / trackers.

Most rewarding part of the job is dealing with customers and building relationships and strong financial futures.
Pros
Competitive Pay
Cons
Call nights - Micro Managed - Asked to do work away from office

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Charter One Bank, N.A.. Our community is ready to answer.

76%