Charter Schools USA

Charter Schools USA Employer Reviews

Slavery in the 21st Century
Special Education Teacher (Former Employee), Chicago, ILJune 18, 2014
Pros: the students had heart and wanted to learn
Cons: administration, company, basement salary, no support, disrespectful place to work!!!
Charter School USA is the worst company in the entire planet who does not respect veteran teachers. The administration is extremely condescending. I personally had the principal from the "Crazy House" who hated veteran teachers, fat people and all people with disabilities. I was personally harassed, micromanaged and disrespected every day that I was – more... an employee. I complained to the company as well as reported the behavior to the EEOC and all I got was retaliation. This company states that they are committed to educating children however, the teachers are either interns or have taught less than 5 years. Students are running wild and there is no consequence for disrespectful behaviors other than detention. Also, special needs students are completely ignored and teachers are encouraged to fail them. Anyone that is a veteran teacher is offered pennies for wages and their expertise is not respected. I have been teaching special education for 18 years, National Board Certified and have excellent ratings, yet, I taught one child the entire year. A one year intern teacher from Teacher for America was able to micromanage me yet she had no idea about special education nor teaching in general. The principal was totally hateful and not supportive to the special education population and believed that special education was all an act and there was no need to support these students. At the end of the year everyone but 5 people who was too afraid to stand up for what was right retained their job while at least 14 seasoned teachers lost their job. If you see an add for Charter School USA skip to the add for McDonalds. Trust me you will be respected more flipping burgers than teaching for this company!!! – less
Growing too fast and miss managed
Operations (Current Employee), Fort Lauderdale, FLMay 5, 2014
Pros: made to believe you are in a good company
Cons: miss managed and poorly paid
Stay away! No chance of a salary increase. Power driven woman at the top and nasty nasty. Show no management skills.
Wonderful experience being part of watching a new school develop.
Fourth/Fifth Grade Gifted Educator (Current Employee), Bradenton, FLMay 3, 2014
Pros: wonderful people to work with.
Cons: the drive is to far from my home.
I have watched this school grow and develop into a great school. The teachers are a very dedicated staff who really care about their students. The administration goes above and beyond to listen to the concerns of the teaching staff.
Instructional Aide/Front Office Receptionist (Current Employee), Indianapolis, INMay 1, 2014
I like Working with Children and enjoy the staff but don't see me doing this for the rest of my life.
Technology In Education
IT Specialist (Former Employee), Fort Myers, FLApril 17, 2014
Working at Charter Schools USA was sometimes a real challenge. The daily work was very enjoyable and I was never micro-managed. However, the work load during peak times of the year like Spring break, Winter break and Summer meant times to re-fresh the entire system and components therein. Hours of work would include up to 80 a week on salary with no – more... extra compensation or appreciation for the hard work. Even with the extra hours, during the school year, the appreciation I got from all the staff members and administration at each of the schools was phenomenal. I got to learn newer technologies with Web Filtering in accordance to each schools policy, Cisco AP's through a WLAN controller, and most of all, appreciation for technology in education which included virtual classrooms. My co-worker was a great guy and our work ethic and open communication made our days enjoyable and we became great friends outside of work. – less
Funding schools with grants
Grants Specialist (Current Employee), Ft LauderdaleApril 14, 2014
The most enjoyable part of my job is when we get awarded grants funds that will cover something that the schools need to help educate children. Its exciting to speak with all stakeholders, this includes principals, business operation managers and regional/ district support. Getting to know the big picture on how a charter school is funded is great !
Blind leading the blind
Former Employee (Former Employee), IndianapolisMarch 29, 2014
Pros: students
Cons: pay, support, opportunities for advancement
If you are a veteran teacher, save yourself the heartache. Your day will be filled with watching inexperienced classroom educators scramble to survive using methods learned over a 5 month internship and a workshop. You will be motivated to help and serve but your veteran experience will not be viewed as a resource....it will be treated as a threat to – more... revealing the true state of affairs within the corporate education world and specifically what is happening in Indianapolis. If you can deal with ignoring intuition and suppressing your feelings of how students should be treated, what true curriculum looks like, best practices for children of poverty, and the need for up to date textbooks and resources...you will be fine. However if you have a desire to focus on these matters...Indianapolis csusa is not for you. – less
Energetic and Hard working company.
Counselor (AfterCare) (Former Employee), Plantation, FLFebruary 28, 2014
Pros: breaks and speaking with fellow employees.
Cons: tiredness through the middle of the day.
Overall in general the work, management, co-workers are equally intrigue on how to improve in their work area and how to be confidence in everyday work life. The hardest part of the job is getting started other than that everything comes smoothly when working. Enjoyable part of the job is taking a break to recharge and settle for a little. Repeat the – more... job in your mind what needs to be done and be ready to leave with work complete and planning for the next day. – less
RUN!!!
Charter School USA (Former Employee), Indianapolis, INDecember 19, 2013
This was the worst teaching experience. I am a vet teacher and everyone around me was Teach for America. Horrible management and kids were horrible. Who has ever ran a high school class that homework could not be graded. Give me a break. Kids don't respect the school because the rules are a JOKE!
Wonderful working environment with great children and co-workers
Substitute/Office (Former Employee), Senoia, GANovember 22, 2013
Everyday was different at work. Meaning I would work in many different positions and each day was different. I would substitute teach, work in the office, work in the kitchen, or work in the After School Program. I really enjoyed my many duties and the people that I worked with!
Positive work environment
LEADERSHIP & VOLUNTEER ACTIVITIES (Current Employee), Chicago, ILOctober 21, 2013
Served as a great learning experience. I was able to learn a great deal about the teaching reading and writing while working here. However, I had no choice in being placed teaching subjects I never taught before and subjects I am not certified in.
Fast-paced and fast-growing environment
Governing Board Coordinator (Current Employee), Fort Lauderdale, FLOctober 16, 2013
CSUSA is a fantastic company to work for in terms of its management, workplace environment, culture and values. I have learned a lot about education choice history and its future.
Very Bad
Aftercare Counselor (Current Employee), Pembroke PinesSeptember 30, 2013
spineless boss, horrible management, no proper structure.
A school that provides an excellent education for students
High school language arts teaher (Former Employee), Coral Springs, FLAugust 24, 2013
Pros: well rounded school
Cons: none i can think of....
Coral Springs Charter is a well rounded school in line with the State of Florida requirements. They provide multiple extra curricular activities including sports, drama, art. They also provide course work in these areas as well. Academic pursuits are emphasized so seniors can be college bound. FCAT practice is provided for the grades that need it most – more... such as 10th grade.

The school is both a middle and high school so that students feel it is a home more than a school as they stay there for 7 years. – less
This company will work you like slave
IT Technician Supervisor (Current Employee), fort lauder daleAugust 17, 2013
Pros: nothing
Cons: everything
I worked for this company the past 3 years and they have made me work more then 80 hours a week, with no extra pay or with out help from upper management.
Culture & Values of the company are commendable.
Training Coordinator (Former Employee), Fort Lauderdale, FLAugust 4, 2013
Pros: great people
I assisted in the development of a training platform for the IT department of the company.
Good Place to work
Second grade teacher (Former Employee), St. Cloud, FLJuly 15, 2013
Canoe Creek Charter Academy is a good place to work. Is a place where you will find kids with the desire to learn. Administration was hard in this place, on my experience, because I felt working alone, not support from the principal at that moment. Co-workers were great, everybody was working hard.
Class room teacher
Math/P.E. teacher/ Athletic Director (Former Employee), Port Saint Lucie, FLJune 14, 2013
Pros: full bennefits, great vacation time
Cons: large class sizes, lack of support from administration
A Typical day at work is from 7:30 to 4:00. I would have 7 classes, each 50 minutes long. For each class I would take students attendance and then go over the procedures for the day.

The best part about the job was teaching a students a new skill or working with a student one on one to help him or her accomplish a goal.

The hardest part of the day – more... was to manage 60 students in one class. You have to be really alert and be very consistent with your rules and procedures but I did I good job.

The administration at my school received many complaints from teachers. The biggest complaint was about how they handled their discipline. They did not allow detentions at my school. The students would act up and there would be no consequence which led to over 20 staff members leaving in the middle of the school year. – less
Absolute hell
teacher (Former Employee), Fort Myers, FLMay 31, 2013
Pros: nothing
Cons: they will work you to death
Charter Schools USA will work you to death for low salary, no pay increases, and no pension. Do not apply. Huge teacher turnover. It's a for profit corporation and their main priority is making money.
Limited opportunity for advancement
Accounting Manager (Former Employee), Fort Lauderdale, FLDecember 12, 2012
Pros: location
Cons: limited opportunity for advancement
The company has 48 schools and is a leader in the education management industry. They have received the SACS accreditation, and are the only management company with that accreditation.