Charter Schools USA Employee Reviews

Fun Place to work with great co-workers
Security Officer (Current Employee), Chicago, ILJuly 15, 2015
Pros: Teamwork, great co-workers, opportunity to mentor youth
Cons: Short breaks
Productive and Fun Educational environment which prepares students to compete in a global society..Charter Schools USA offers great teachers and a highly trained and professional staff.
Productive, understanding, business orientated and constantly evolving
Office Clerk (Former Employee), Bonita Springs, FLJuly 13, 2015
A day at work consisted of mostly positve interactions with students, parents and team members. There was always something new to learn and the administration was supportive. My co-workers were wonderful and always willing to help. The hardest part of my job was the last day of school, saying good bye to the children. The most enjoyable was of course the first day of school. It was exciting to see how much the children have grown over the summer.
Environment Where you are Overworked and Under-appreciated.
Third Grade Teacher (Former Employee), LAJuly 9, 2015
Cons: Healthcare is horrible, hours are long, expectations and observations are unending from corporate office. Support in school is non-existant
CSUSA is a organization that cares only about the bottom line. They will do anything to keep students in seats and teachers feeling as if they have no support. The students are much below level and you are expected and pressured to bring them up several grade levels in many cases. The head academic officer does not care about her teachers and God forbid you are an uncertified teacher. You will be treated as though you are beneath and ultimately dismissed no matter the results you were able to achieve with your students.
For the love of teaching
Middle School Science Teacher (Current Employee), Lafayette, LAJuly 6, 2015
Cons: Lack of communication
It is a good company to work for but it is run more from the business aspect rather than education. Very customer service driven but as with anything else in education you have to be able to adapt.
Don't plan on working here long.
Teacher, St. Lucie School District (Former Employee), Wellington, FLJune 10, 2015
Pros: Learn a lot....even if you have to learn on your own.
Cons: WORKLOAD!!!
CSUSA expects 100% output from you, even if you don't get the support you need. If you are not on good terms with Sherry, the CAO, you can plan on your days being long and difficult. Obviously her opinion of you is much more important with the results you get as an educator.

The teachers are on a revolving door basis, and most will not stay because of the tremendous work load and lower pay. For the most part, the people you work with are great.
slave salaries and unorganized
employee (Current Employee), Kissimmee, FLMay 26, 2015
Pros: nolthing
Cons: everything
too many schools too little employees. company is transitioning/changing roles to make it look as if they are growing administratively as well as financially. Really only moving ppl around with different title and more work low pay. CEO and his wife I am sure have no issues with paying bills. They don't even care that they employee ppl who don't make enough money to live normal stable lives with families. Lots of teachers and staff are homeless Kissimmee FL. Bet they don't care since all they decided to do was eliminate positions and open new schools. so now you have more money in your pockets and your employees in the streets,
horrible workplace
Interim/Assistant Principal (Former Employee), Chicago, ILMay 14, 2015
Pros: none
Cons: unprofessional administrators
During my 4 month employment, there were 2 principals and prior to that, there were also 2 principals. After working for 3 weeks,the 4th principal, I was released for no reason since the employment was "at will." Additionally, the school has secured administrators who were released from the public sector due to unethical behavior as well as neglected to secure mandatory special ed modifications for the diverse learners. In my opinion, they should not be allowed to acquire any more charters in this state or elsewhere. The learners in their home state of Florida are given many more special perks versus the learners in Chicago.
Horrible place to work!!!
Teacher (Former Employee), LouisianaOctober 22, 2014
Cons: short breaks, low pay, poor administration, no support, no time for family
This was the most stressful job I've ever had in my entire life. Like someone mentioned before....modern day slavery!!! I felt like I was babysitting instead of teaching. The administration was very unorganized, disrespectful, & unprofessional.
Good
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee), Cooper CitySeptember 24, 2014
Great HR department.

Typical substitute teacher for an Elementary School Level.
It wasn't hard. The kids love to learn,
Insurance Administrator/Administrative Duties (Current Employee), Fort Lauderdale, FLSeptember 18, 2014
Pros: every month breakfast is served for the birthday & anniversary employees.
Cons: health insurance are expensive.
The most enjoyable part of my job is communicating with instructors and helping them on day to day basis.
Keys Gate Specific
ESE/ ESOL Program Specialist and Teacher (Former Employee), Homestead, FLJuly 7, 2014
The New Administration is wonderful. The company overall is a good place but is growing very quickly and some strain is being seen.
Slavery in the 21st Century
Special Education Teacher (Former Employee), Chicago, ILJune 18, 2014
Pros: the students had heart and wanted to learn
Cons: administration, company, basement salary, no support, disrespectful place to work!!!
Charter School USA is the worst company in the entire planet who does not respect veteran teachers. The administration is extremely condescending. I personally had the principal from the "Crazy House" who hated veteran teachers, fat people and all people with disabilities. I was personally harassed, micromanaged and disrespected every day that I was an employee. I complained to the company as well as reported the behavior to the EEOC and all I got was retaliation. This company states that they are committed to educating children however, the teachers are either interns or have taught less than 5 years. Students are running wild and there is no consequence for disrespectful behaviors other than detention. Also, special needs students are completely ignored and teachers are encouraged to fail them. Anyone that is a veteran teacher is offered pennies for wages and their expertise is not respected. I have been teaching special education for 18 years, National Board Certified and have excellent ratings, yet, I taught one child the entire year. A one year intern teacher from Teacher for America was able to micromanage me yet she had no idea about special education nor teaching in general. The principal was totally hateful and not supportive to the special education population and believed that special education was all an act and there was no need to support these students. At the end of the year everyone but 5 people who was too afraid to stand up for what was right retained their job while at least 14 seasoned teachers lost their job. If you see an add for Charter School USA skip to the add for McDonalds. Trust me you will be respected more flipping burgers than teaching for this company!!!
Growing too fast and miss managed
Operations (Current Employee), Fort Lauderdale, FLMay 5, 2014
Pros: made to believe you are in a good company
Cons: miss managed and poorly paid
Stay away! No chance of a salary increase. Power driven woman at the top and nasty nasty. Show no management skills.
Wonderful experience being part of watching a new school develop.
Fourth/Fifth Grade Gifted Educator (Current Employee), Bradenton, FLMay 3, 2014
Pros: wonderful people to work with.
Cons: the drive is to far from my home.
I have watched this school grow and develop into a great school. The teachers are a very dedicated staff who really care about their students. The administration goes above and beyond to listen to the concerns of the teaching staff.
Instructional Aide/Front Office Receptionist (Current Employee), Indianapolis, INMay 1, 2014
I like Working with Children and enjoy the staff but don't see me doing this for the rest of my life.
Technology In Education
IT Specialist (Former Employee), Fort Myers, FLApril 17, 2014
Working at Charter Schools USA was sometimes a real challenge. The daily work was very enjoyable and I was never micro-managed. However, the work load during peak times of the year like Spring break, Winter break and Summer meant times to re-fresh the entire system and components therein. Hours of work would include up to 80 a week on salary with no extra compensation or appreciation for the hard work. Even with the extra hours, during the school year, the appreciation I got from all the staff members and administration at each of the schools was phenomenal. I got to learn newer technologies with Web Filtering in accordance to each schools policy, Cisco AP's through a WLAN controller, and most of all, appreciation for technology in education which included virtual classrooms. My co-worker was a great guy and our work ethic and open communication made our days enjoyable and we became great friends outside of work.
Funding schools with grants
Grants Specialist (Current Employee), Ft LauderdaleApril 14, 2014
The most enjoyable part of my job is when we get awarded grants funds that will cover something that the schools need to help educate children. Its exciting to speak with all stakeholders, this includes principals, business operation managers and regional/ district support. Getting to know the big picture on how a charter school is funded is great !
Blind leading the blind
Former Employee (Former Employee), IndianapolisMarch 29, 2014
Pros: students
Cons: pay, support, opportunities for advancement
If you are a veteran teacher, save yourself the heartache. Your day will be filled with watching inexperienced classroom educators scramble to survive using methods learned over a 5 month internship and a workshop. You will be motivated to help and serve but your veteran experience will not be viewed as a resource....it will be treated as a threat to revealing the true state of affairs within the corporate education world and specifically what is happening in Indianapolis. If you can deal with ignoring intuition and suppressing your feelings of how students should be treated, what true curriculum looks like, best practices for children of poverty, and the need for up to date textbooks and resources...you will be fine. However if you have a desire to focus on these matters...Indianapolis csusa is not for you.
Energetic and Hard working company.
Counselor (AfterCare) (Former Employee), Plantation, FLFebruary 28, 2014
Pros: breaks and speaking with fellow employees.
Cons: tiredness through the middle of the day.
Overall in general the work, management, co-workers are equally intrigue on how to improve in their work area and how to be confidence in everyday work life. The hardest part of the job is getting started other than that everything comes smoothly when working. Enjoyable part of the job is taking a break to recharge and settle for a little. Repeat the job in your mind what needs to be done and be ready to leave with work complete and planning for the next day.
RUN!!!
Charter School USA (Former Employee), Indianapolis, INDecember 19, 2013
This was the worst teaching experience. I am a vet teacher and everyone around me was Teach for America. Horrible management and kids were horrible. Who has ever ran a high school class that homework could not be graded. Give me a break. Kids don't respect the school because the rules are a JOKE!