Charter Schools USA Employee Reviews

People are great, company is not good
SharePoint Admin (Former Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLApril 18, 2017
The benefits at this company are definitely not good. I actually got better and cheaper benefits from my contracting company as a contractor! And that is rare. When they let me go for "restructuring" they said "And of course we will pay you through the rest of the DAY!" Yes, Day, not week or next 2 weeks.

As mentioned the people are great but management is not. The company itself does not seem to value its employees or have any sense of obligation to them in any way. It is a revolving door type of company and they don't seem to care.
Pros
Great people
Cons
Bad management, benefits are terrible, no loyalty to employees
not enough pay
Overnight Supervisor, Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 17, 2017
The company needs better directions . There is no job security .I also felt the company was taking advantage of me . I was running a five building campus getting ten dollars. I would turn boilers on and off and sometimes flush them .All this for ten dollars wow.
Unreal expectations/horrible management.
Lead Principal (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INApril 11, 2017
The Indiana region was different than the CSUSA Charter Schools in Florida. We were in an urban setting with failing schools (3). Goals that were set in place are unrealistic in an urban, impovished area. Work place culture was always uncomfortable and with the corporate office some 1100 miles away, well expectations were unrealistic.

CSUSA employed administrators who did not have their license yet, whcih technically in Indiana is against policy. School culture is not in line with Charter School as faculty still works as a public school, which is failing.
Pros
Office staff at all schools are very good and friendly.
Cons
Poor leadership from corporate level
Busy Busy Busy
Support Technician II (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 27, 2017
Typical work day consists of coming in early and staying late to help the teachers with their various computer issues. Direct management was in flux for a bit, so that made working there challenging.
Worst job EVER!!!
Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLFebruary 22, 2017
Supervisor bully/threat you to do your job, lots of lies and unfilled promises. Rude and lazy staff. No commutation or loyalty. No one does their job or knows how to. No ones cares
Pros
No pro
Cons
Cons and scams
I love csusa
Middle School Teacher (Current Employee) –  Manatee Charter SchoolFebruary 18, 2017
CSUSA is a great company for work to as long as you are willing to learn and adjust your style of teaching. They train you on everything you need to know for company and teaching practices. The classroom sizes are much smaller allowing you to have a personal relationship with your students and work with them one on one. They promote within and offer tons of extra opportunities to make money (tutoring, afterschool programs, clubs, coaching, etc). If you are looking to work with smaller groups of students who need a teacher to spend the time and effort along with the opportunity to advance within a company you should consider CSUSA schools.
Pros
The students, the extra opportunities
Cons
Short lunch, healthcare
AWFUL workplace, do NOT work for this company.
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Mooresville, NCFebruary 14, 2017
Working for CSUSA was the WORST decision I have ever made. There was ZERO communication between the administration and teachers. I was given NO support whatsoever, and that made the job very frustrating. I was never offered help by anyone in the school. The expectations this company has for teachers is absolutely ridiculous. If this review helps ONE person, I will be doing you a favor. I accepted this job right out of college, and I especially recommend new teachers right out of college to stay VERY FAR away from this company. The workplace culture was so NEGATIVE because no one wanted to be there!! I would leave the school crying all the time and absolutely hated going to work, which is sad! :(
Pros
NONE!
Cons
everything is a con.
Long hours, no appreciation, and no support from administration.
Lead Teacher of English Language Arts, Grade (Former Employee) –  Cape Coral, FLFebruary 11, 2017
I worked there for three years, with much turn over. I felt overworked, stressed and under appreciated. The company is a company and not a school. The only thing that kept me there were the few friends I made and the students.

I do not beleive they have the best interest of the students in mind.
Good place to work with strong values
Third Grade Teacher (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLJanuary 16, 2017
I loved the people I work with, they are what make the school culture full of positivity and enjoyment for the families that attended the school. The work life balance was hard, but that goes along with most teaching jobs.
Fort Lauderdale, FL (coorparate office)
Accounts Payable Clerk I (Former Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLJanuary 12, 2017
I have never worked in a place where there was no progression. There is too much favoritism in the Accounts Payable department. If you are not liked by the employee who is spoiled by manager/supervisor there is no room for growth. Dont bother taking managers advise on how to succed because on the back end they are lying on you. If you are an individual who is serious about your future this is not the place but its good to get your foot on the door. They have a mom and pop mentality which they are growing fast. its not a paperless job and nothing is scaned into the system. To learn how to code invoices i was trained to check in the system to check what was the last invoice coded too instead of properly training. In thier systems You will not find a image icon to physically see last invoice. NOTHING IS SCANED and the turnover rate is high!
Cons
Training system needs to be improved!
Ugh!
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Lake Charles, LADecember 12, 2016
This place absolutely drove me crazy! I would arrive early to prepare for the day and then be there well after school let out just to keep up with their unrealistic demands of classroom work. The students' behavior was outragious and the administration would not back up discipline in the classroom. Co-workers were catty and always looking out for themselves. No family or community feel to this place like I've felt at other schools. The hardest part of the job was simply the paperwork. They would require us to have ridiculous amounts of data and then chart it (there was so many different tests that they all became useless). I had over 100 students at the middle school level and they expected them to be treated like kindergarteners. Ridiculous!
Pros
The children
Cons
EVERYTHING ELSE!
Nice people, commitment to the kids, but salary and benefits aren't great
Financial Analyst (Current Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLAugust 30, 2016
Not a bad place to work. Really enjoy my coworkers and my job. However, this is a mom and pop shop that has grown into something bigger quickly and they are having a hard time keeping up. You can tell that they still have a lot of the small company mentality.
Pros
Nice people to work with, good cause (the kids)
Cons
Benefits aren't great, pay isn't great
Run as fast as you can!
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Kissimmee, FLAugust 4, 2016
Where do I possibly begin? I've been waiting for a long time to write a review of this place. But because I was on the target list I couldn't say anything earlier. At this point I'm literally writing this as a warning to any teachers who are thinking about this company. Yes, expectations are not mentioned until you're in trouble for not completing them, favoritism is a real thing, administration actually throws their employees under the bus to parents, they truly are money-hungry, and yes, they do target some employees. Myself included, I was spoken to in ways that are disrespectful to any human and punished via surprise audits of my work and unannounced malicious evaluations. They disliked me so much because I had to file a workers comp claim upon getting injured due to their neglect. And they didn't like that I asked questions. Turnover rate is very high, so that's why I wasn't fired. They need a body in the room. I'm bitter, but by now I certainly should be. Don't let catty kindness at your interview fool you.
Pros
Helped me learn what i will and will not accept.
Cons
Insurance is very expensive here. I forgot to mention that.
aftercare counselor
After School Counselor (Former Employee) –  Tamarac, FLAugust 4, 2016
Job was unorganized, sometimes they would mess up my pay which. They were under staff , they never had a stable director . I had about 45 kids in a class. It go to the point that children were sitting on the floor. When I asked for help they ignored me.The money isn't able to pay bill. Hours are from 2-6 . Easy job, but can become stressful at times .
Pros
days off
Cons
pay
Academically Focused Environment
ELA Teacher (Former Employee) –  Cape Coral, FLJuly 28, 2016
This school was a great place to work. I developed great relationships with those I worked closely with. The team building/staff development that took place was extremely fun and enjoyable.
Unprofessional, no support and no advancement
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Homestead, FLJuly 20, 2016
In working the school year 2016, I found myself in a work environment which was, initially, supportive to where the only communication was reduced to emails. The training was limited and only by the convenience of the administrators. After the testing period was over, there was a decline in professional support and communication. Very unprofessional environment, favoritism towards other employees over others, no structural guidelines as to your duties and expectations. The parents rule over your decisions without administrative support. I would highly recommend other professionals and teachers go elsewhere for career opportunities. Career trap.
Pros
The kids are looking for help and eager to learn.
Cons
Mismanagement and non support.
Run away fast as you can
Business Manager (Former Employee) –  LouisianaJune 12, 2016
This school is terribly managed from top to bottom. Favoritism run rampant at the local level. The corporate office is of little to no help. This is a for profit business attempting to operate a charter school. Anyone else see a conflict of interest? At the end of the day it's about a dollar for them, not the best interest of students or staff. In the 6 months I worked saw a turnover rate of 50% across all staff and faculty. They treat their employees like slave children, make promise that they don't intend on keeping, go on witch hunts to find who was involved in a bad situation versus finding out what what the root of the problem is. Personal views get tangled in business decisions at all levels of management. Not a good enviroment. Potential applicants make my words, save urself some time and headaches and don't even apply to work at this hellhole.
Pros
The people at the school are nice. Good working with children
Cons
Everything else. Benefits suck, pay sucks, etc
Horrible work place
1st Grade Teacher (Former Employee) –  Bradenton, FLJune 10, 2016
I can only give my opinion on the charter school they have in Bradenton. This is your job...start work with kids in your room at 7:40, but school actually starts sometime after 8am, basically whenever they feel like doing announcements. You will have to do lunch duty and on days where there are data chats for your grade you do NOT have a break, and of course you have recess duty. The school was nice at first, but then I noticed person after person leaving. The school is a revolving door. I get why people left now. We split ALL the time. The students are horrible and you have no support from admin. Parents are allowed to treat you anyway they want, and again no support. I also never learned how to do a mega binder, the dpp, even my board. I was thrown in without a life jacket. It makes me sad all around for the staff and students. This place is a joke and I hope the new principal and assistant principal can get it together.
Pros
Cons
No breaks, a lot of meetings, no report card days, and no support
exciting busy educational atmosphere
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAMay 19, 2016
While working at Charter Schools USA i came in contact with many different age groups of students and outside spheres that were connected with the school. My Co-workers were very helpful in helping transition as a first year teacher! it was an overall a new, exciting, great experience. The hardest part of my job is being able to deal with so many complex personality while continuing routine lessons in a SAFE learning environment. The most enjoyable part of my job is teaching a lesson and actually being able to see the light bulb come on in the students knowing that they understand what you have been teaching in the day's lesson.
Pros
breaks
Cons
out of pocket contribution without reimnbursement
review
Art teacher (Current Employee) –  Lake Charles, LAApril 14, 2016
Calcasieu is one of the best operated parishes in the educational system on Louisiana. They are very progressive minded in technology and curriculum.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Charter Schools USA. Our community is ready to answer.

2.7