Charter Steel Employee Reviews

Maintenance Electrician (Former Employee) –  Saukville, WI 53080March 10, 2017
Doing p.m.'s and doing line calls to keep manufacturing equipment running for daily production. The best part of the job were the people I worked with. The daily challenge of making sure all equipment in working properly.
Pros
Health Insurance, 401K
Cons
12 hour shifts
Hard working people
Shipping summer help (Former Employee) –  Saukville, WINovember 22, 2016
These can be long hours. I only worked as a summer help and it was tough but worth it. The pay is good and the people can be really nice. You got a bond and get to know others.
Run fast if you're a woman!
Metallurgist (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OHOctober 14, 2016
The management and HR are a joke. Very disorganized as a company. As a woman I'm not respected at all. It's like working in the good old boys club. I wish I wouldn't have relocated for this job. The environment is very different than what was portrayed during the interview process.
Pros
No one notices if you don't work a full work week, or if you take really long lunches multiple days a week
Cons
Management.
Amazing enivorment and all around good people
Summer Help (Former Employee) –  Cuyahoga Heights, OHNovember 19, 2016
A day at charter steel is probably one of the best experiences anyone can have. I learned a lot from working for the summer such as learning how to use hand tools all the way down to establishing communicating skills. The co-workers are great it feels like one big family it's always peace and love. The hardest part of working has to be the weather it gets really hot in the summer and extremely cold in winters.
Culture is part of company values
Operations Accountant/Financial Analyst (Current Employee) –  Cuyahoga Heights, OHJanuary 19, 2016
Team environment. Company has continuous improvement department that teaches green belt classes.

Hard part of the job is knowing how interact with management.
Pros
Good benefits, gainsharing
Cons
political, need to know how to promote yourself.
Great Culture, Great Benefits
Accounting Intern (Current Employee) –  Cuyahoga Heights, OHNovember 28, 2015
The benefits and culture at Charter Steel can't be beat! It is a relatively small company, and small location in Cleveland, so there is a real family feel in Cleveland and throughout the company as a whole. Unfortunately, there may not be any positions open that fit my future plans. If I could, I would stick around as a full-time employee!
Excellent work enviornment with alot of hours and good possibilities for advancement.
Billetyard Laborer/ Overhead Crane Operator (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OhioNovember 2, 2012
My typical work day consisted of welding barcode tags to steel billets for stock purposes, loading flatbed trucks with overhead crane. Utilizing cutting torch to cut scrap billets into small manageable pieces, Transporting scrap to scrap yard via bobcat or forklift. General cleanup duties in work area. Making myself available for all overtime hours in my assighned area of the mill or wherever needed. I also volunteered for overtime in a helpers role in the maintenance department.
Pros
great pay and benefits with alot of opportunity for advancement.
Cons
the company had to terminate a large number of employees due to a crash in the economy.
Productive and culture rich workplace, always improving and advancing towards a better product.
Mechanical Engineer Intern (Current Employee) –  Saukville, WIApril 2, 2013
Work with all levels of employees, learning about the culture of the company as well as working effectively in different roles on part of teams to develop the best overall solution. Everything we do is directed at remaining and improving as number one in the bar, rod, and wire steel industry. The best part of the job was developing solutions through my own ideas and knowledge, and watching them come to life to produce a better product.
Pros
great atmosphere, many benefits
Cons
many employees makes it difficult to get much individual attention
great company
Shipping and Receiving (Former Employee) –  Fostoria, OHJuly 20, 2016
up and coming great family owned company family oriented treat employees with respect and is a great place to work. this is a growing company and is on pace to be a huge player in the steel industry down the road and have future proofed themselves very well
Good Job
Local Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Rising Sun, INJuly 11, 2016
It was a local driving job. All the employees were nice to work with and were very helpful with directions. The management was questionable.
Good place to start, bad place to end up.
QC Inspector (Former Employee) –  Saukville, WIJune 12, 2014
Best "go nowhere job I ever had". If you are hourly, there is NO Job Work/Life Balance. After a couple years, you begin to feel owned. You work 12 hours a day/night with a 5-2-2-5 schedule. Low seniority will enjoy lots of overtime each Summer, making you're schedule 9 days on and 5 days off, not 5-on, 2-off, 2-on, 5-off. Mandatory meetings will add another hour and a quarter to your day (13 1/4). Off days you will likely have team meetings scheduled. Compensation/Benefits are pretty good. Job Security: You're only as good as your last day. Advancement: Excellent if you have relatives there. Otherwise, it's not very likely. There's only so many positions, and lots of relatives. Good work only gets you more repetitive good work. Management at the lower levels is pretty lacking - "I'll get back to you", is a popular catch phrase. Making matters worse, you're supposed to follow an ill responding chain of command to get things done. Communication flows one direction only (down), even though they pride themselves on an "Open Door Policy". Culture: It's a rat on your neighbor system. You need to know who's related to whom, and who is actually your friend before you speak. When they ask for any questions at the end of meetings, be careful choosing your words. Management doesn't like to be on the spot. (It's easy to do). I survived twenty years.
Pros
Benefits. Pay. Tuition re-imbursement, (use it!).
Cons
Mandatory meetings, Team meetings, Quarterly meetings, Safety meetings, Poor communication, Low Morale
great pay
Shipping And Receiving: Releases/ Utility (Former Employee) –  Saukville, WIDecember 8, 2015
great pay for the work you do. its a long rolling shift though. a 5-2-2-5 12 hr shifts. avoid the shipping department if applying. bad management in that department, all the others are pretty good.
Pros
amazing pay tops out at $24.21
Cons
long hours lots of mandatory overtime
Great Company
MILLWRIGHT-EAF SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHJuly 2, 2014
Great place good people and good wage. The benefits are so so. The shift work gives a good work/life balance.
Human Resources Intern (Current Employee) –  Saukville, WINovember 14, 2012
Charter Steel offers a great place to work. Compensation is very competitive, and the Culture is unbeatable.
the workers go out of there way to make you feel welcomed
Scalehouse Clerk (Former Employee) –  Cuyahoga Heights, OHFebruary 15, 2014
The company per say is not a bad place to work, but the management team has it's own thing going on..they like to let you know that the ppl in Wisconsin are better then you...HR will stand behind you waaay behind you..if you take your problems to them they just sell you out to management...steve spethe is a snake so is Heath Bennett ...Rob Zeine is over his head in his job role...and the rest of his managers don't care about the values that were set in place by John Mellows....losing alot of GOOD ppl to other places..hard to say go things when they let a loyal person go....
Pros
pay
Cons
you don't matter Charter family comes first, not yours...
Cant believe he got away with it .
Crane Operator (Former Employee) –  Saukville, WIFebruary 5, 2016
supervisors there are. we had a new intern who was working for HR. one of the supervisors were going around talking smack about the girls name ,how she looked ,acted and more. as he was listening to this so called supervisor (who we are suppose to respect id rather spit in his face.) make fun of her name and say horrible statements a guy at work decided to let hr know... wow what a big mistake that was. this guy wrote a letter that I read ,in fact I was there when the supervisor was talking smack I just kept my mouth shut. anyway he wrote a letter gave it to hr ,they sat all the people down individually to talk about this supervisor that was causing grief. now just so you know this supervisor has had nothing but problems and negative reports from people in the whole plant his whole career. from harassment ,to bullying to calling people names. now we all did this interview and this supervisor got nothing but negative feed back from almost everybody people who were scared him which he loves.... after we did this feed back we thought OK now he will begone cause he had way to many chances ,nope they give him nothing and push it under the rug. now we know he did wrong because then human resources made him write a letter to all the workers and read it out loud, to tell us and the employee he harassed sorry ,it wont happen again and my bullying will stop... hahahah what a crock of sh** if that was me id be fired i wouldn't have a job but that's were it pays to know people at this place cause him and the other two supervisors had his back and wouldn't fire him. now the reprocuction  more... of this was the employee that wrote the letter lost his job because they were all after him to fire him after he got the other supervisor in trouble so they kept harassing the guy that wrote the letter . The reason why they knew this guy wrote this letter is because Hr told them who wrote it after it was suppose to be private. They bluntly said in front of everybody after he read the letter who wrote the letter, this guy almost fainted the look he had was priceless. until he just didn't show up.. this also led one of our best supervisors we had in shipping resign because he could not believe how corrupt it really was and still is.  less
Pros
Dont do it you will regret it
Cons
Corrupt corrupt they dump there water in our river
To work here you will be better off NOT to have a family.
Quality Assurance Inspector (Current Employee) –  Saukville, WIJanuary 15, 2015
If you like being away from your family, this is the place for you. Most of your coworkers are great to work with but the management is terrible and self centered. You will surprise yourself on what you will sacrifice for a paycheck. That's why many are looking to leave.
Pros
They weather economic down turns well. Great place to work if you have no life and are single.
Cons
Your family WILL suffer with the work schedule.
Great place to work and grow professionally.
Production Planning Intern (Current Employee) –  SaukvilleJanuary 14, 2014
Strong company culture and priorities like continuous improvement make this a thriving workplace for any motivated individual with the will to grow. There is a constant aura of progress within the organization and this is definitely an inspirational driver for myself and many personnel. If you love learning and facilitating projects look no further.
Pros
professional growth and great culture
Find a better opportunity
engineer (Former Employee) –  cleveland OhJune 15, 2014
High turnover amongst employees. Very conservative and opinionated culture. Find a better place if you want to advance your career.
Pros
good exposure to steel making, metallurgy
Cons
high turnover, watch out the people you associate with
Great Company
Quality Control Lab Technician (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHDecember 17, 2013
I enjoyed working for this company though I realized from the start that I couldn't see myself retiring from it. The company was really customer focused while showing great care and respect for its employees. My department was understaffed though my coworkers eagerly welcomed the authorized overtime. While the job wasn't physically demanding, the mental stress, at times, could be overwhelming.
Pros
Quarterly bonuses, Annual Profit Share
Cons
Scheduling/Staffing

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Charter Steel. Our community is ready to answer.