CHARTWELLS FOOD SERVICE Employee Reviews

Awesome Job
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Clayton, MOMay 30, 2016
Working for chartwells was a blast. I was part of a small, three person team and we became very close. The job kept me on my feet at times and during others, it was slow. It was here that I learned to work well with kids.
Tight Workplace, and lack of Communication with Management
Cook (Current Employee) –  Union City NJAugust 17, 2015
I feel as though their could be much improvement with Management. Their is currently 2 out of 4 managers that I see can take this company much further.
Pros
Great Work Scheduele, meet alot of people
Cons
Beneifts could be better, not alot of room for advancement, lack of recognition for your work
working environment satisfactory
Middle School Cafeteria Cashier (Former Employee) –  jax ,flMay 26, 2015
Cooking and preparing food, cashing out students, cashing out drawer, and cleaning up. 7-2 Monday through Friday.Management was responsible and reliable. My co-workers weren't the best, but i could tolerate them. The most enjoyable part of my job is the quiet solitude that i had working in my own space to do my duties.
Campus Based coffee shop w/ fun and enjoyable atmosphere.
Professional Barista (Current Employee) –  Rochester, MIMarch 19, 2015
A great place to work with a campus life experience. Typical work includes; money and sales management, working with the public in a sales role, making and remembering proper drinks from official recipes, general store maintenance, and forecasting food and supply needs.
Pros
Free lunches, free coffee, flexible work schedule
good hours Week ends off, Lots of young people,Collage Campus lots going on
Cook/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Cookeville, TNSeptember 14, 2013
Started day with prep work for the day. Setting up steam tables and or cold bars, Very fast pace, none stop for four hours or more, its pretty cool. before you know its over. Time to start over again. Over 15000 young people on that campus. Just like any job something everyday. There is just so many people you work with every department is different. Myself found it to be fun .These young people are very interresting. you get to know a few of them pretty good after a few semesters . that would be the best. getting to meet these young people. there is always something you may not like at a job , but its no big deal , because every days a new day , and things change.
Its very productive and fun place to work .
Chef/Cook (Former Employee) –  Newark, NJJuly 19, 2014
I really enjoy working with this company cause it has every advancement there is,the most enjoying part of this job is that theres a great big rewarding gifts at the end of each 10 months out of each year .I enjoy seving people of all races and ages its so rewarding to be of help to so many people that come through my life.
Pros
n/a
Cons
theres short breaks
great work environment suckey boss
Server (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIJuly 15, 2014
I loved working at chartwells when i first started and year after year the working expierence just got worse. I loved my co-worker but the management got worse with each new manager we had. and the current manager has been the worst one of all.
Pros
free lunch and awesome kids
Cons
bad hours and even worse managent
fun and energetic place to work everyday even during busy times
Cook (Current Employee) –  Towson, MDJanuary 18, 2013
at the start of my day its right down to business for the day. go over my paper work and start baking. my team work as a unit . If one person is not up to par its up to us as a team to fill in to make sure the guest have the same wonderful experience each and every time .
concession stands
Cashier/ Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Beaumont, TXNovember 15, 2014
I worked in concession stands as a manager. I learned that everyone will not listen to the person in charge but you must stay calm and figure out a way to make the day go by smoothly.
College student atomshpere
Food Service/Sanitation Worker (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYJune 24, 2012
Working with the students was fun! Working at the different stores and the cafetreia.
Pros
free lunch and free tickets to sporting events
Cons
parking
Supervisor
Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  E Saint Louis, ILFebruary 26, 2013
It was not bad working for Chartells , but could use some improvements in supervisory competence.
benefits
Cons
input not welcolmed
okay place
Manager (Former Employee) –  Hoboken, NJAugust 8, 2013
I worked every hard here and I didn't get the money I should of. the co-workers were great but the manager had no idea what she was doing.
Chartwells
Food prep/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Hitchcock, TXFebruary 23, 2014
Managment need to learn how to talk to their employees, need more hours
Pros
get off early
Cons
not enough hours, and no overtime
Good job if you like diversity
Assistant Manager/Grill Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Williamsburg, KYOctober 22, 2014
Management tolerable, co-workers students, benefits lacking
opportunities
Cashier/Bookkeeping (Former Employee) –  louisianaMay 10, 2013
They dont promote people and are not supportiv to those who want to move up in the company.
Fast Pace
Food Service Worker (Current Employee) –  SouthfieldJune 17, 2013
Prepare food for a K-8 school
Serve the food to the children
Clean up kitchen
Fill out paper work
My Overall Experience Working for Chartwells
Cashier (Former Employee) –  East Windsor, NJJanuary 31, 2015
My co-workers put many personal touches into enhancing the workplace experience, like bringing decorations from home to help create a fest atmosphere during holidays. We also pulled together to support our district manager during her cancer treatments. The DM herself also made an effort to see to the needs of each of the schools in the district, often traveling to the locations herself despite her illness.

I would have to say that the most difficult part of my job was dealing with the sporadic mood-swings of some of my co-workers but, by and large, they did their best to try and maintain a friendly work environment. Things could often become quite hectic as the workload frequently would become quite heavy when we had to prepare certain particularly mess dishes for the children and clean then clean up the aftermath within our set time constraints.

Some of the things I enjoyed the most about the job was the opportunity to help my co-workers (all middle aged women) with physical tasks that would have been difficult for them to complete on their own. I felt useful and needed, and my co-workers often expressed their appreciation with small gifts and foods from home. The children were also a joy (except for when they were making big unnecessary messes lol) and were a big part of making my overall experience on the job positive.
Pros
Free lunches, walking distance from home
Cons
Low pay, occasionally stressful