Chartwells Employee Reviews in United States

Great experience
Student Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Cape Girardeau, MOMay 24, 2016
I worked 20-25 hours a week. I learned about how a management works. I had most fun talking to the customers and I was very pleased, when they left as a happy customer.
Pros
Free Lunches, lively environment, fun coworkers, great boss
Cons
no fixed schedule
Great Place
Grill Cook / Line Server (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYMay 23, 2016
This was a great place to work co-workers as well as management was great only problem was company got voted out great company great food great employees
Enjoyable Workplace
Catering Director (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAMay 22, 2016
I enjoyed working for Chartwells in both Jacksonville, FL and in Boston. Hard work is instantly rewarded. I learned a lot and always felt appreciated.
Terrible management
Line Server (Former Employee) –  Ada, OKMay 22, 2016
I worked for Chartwells in Ada, OK. The best I can say about this job is you are cross-trained, which is good experience to put on a resume. You also get a free meal and drinks.
They pay minimum wage. Management is difficult to work with. Employees are responsible for training other employees. This company has few long tenured employees.
If you are looking for full time work, try a different company if you live in Ada, OK because it is likely that you be laid off for the Summer. The company will allows you to receive unemployment, but its not enough to live on.
Chartwells
Second Cook (Former Employee) –  Whitewater, WIMay 18, 2016
The Pros:
- Having summers off to enjoy time with family.
- Ability to move to different positions within the company.
- Pay is great!
- Part of a Union to have employees best interest.
- Work with students (part-time) and employees (full-time)
- Seniority helps to get more hours for overtime and new positions.

The Cons:
- In the summer work is very slim for hours. Make sure to have a second income.
- The ability to move to different positions within the company is great but its all based on seniority, so if your in the bottom of the poll expect to have the worse position, hours, overtime, and hard to move change positions.
- Full-timers are usually grumpy and many of them want to be in charge even though they are not your boss. You will find this in every building you go.
- Insurance is not the greatest. You are only covered for health not dental or anything else. They take a huge portion out of your check throughout the year to cover the summers you are not working.
- Checks are never right when it comes to overtime and holiday hours. They also have some issue with having anyone's checks correctly done.
- Management doesn't really care about the employee. I don't know if its because of the high turn over rate there, but they are the least professional and helpful.
- Don't expect FMLA because you are not able to qualify due to you only work September till December and end of January to May. Make sure your family doesn't need you to take time off.

I really enjoyed working with the students more than the full-timers. Be prepared to work with college students
  more... so you can't always rely on them. It was less stressful with them than it was with full-timers. Many of the full-time employees usually fight amongst themselves and management, even after reporting harassment to another employee, don't really step in to handle the situation appropriate. I also feel they are not able to handle emergency. I have seen one and management did not handle it as well as the full-time employee (that was a shame).

Other than that the place is okay!
Good co-work communication
Dishwashier (Former Employee) –  East Providence, RIMay 18, 2016
A typical day with Chartwells was rather quick paced, the communication with the co-works made work simpler. There were constant rush hours during student dining hours. It was nothing that i could not handle.
Pros
managemnt understanding
Cons
lack of hours
Productive and fun working place with caring employees
CASHIER (Current Employee) –  Wise, VAMay 16, 2016
A typical day at work for a student like me is no hassle. Customers are nice and easy to talk to. I learned how to manage time while at work and how to keep busy when the hours are slow.
Pros
Talk and communicate with other students
Cons
Student life and work life can get overwhelming.
Would not reccomend
Associate (Current Employee) –  UNM, NMMay 16, 2016
Overall this is a good place for kids to start,but should not plan for a carrier. I have worked for the University of New Mexico as a chartwells employee for about 8 years in that time we have gone through 3 directors. The director that this company started out with was amaizing and fair. Offered a heath work environment room for advancement and noticed everyone for there hard work. The last 2 have been FAR from that. There is no advancement for good work, no posted position for the employees offered to advance within the company,Extreme favoratisum and no noticability of work. Jobs are offered outside the company not posted, family and friends a hierd for employment in management and office work. Overall it's a horrible place to try and start a carrier.
Pros
Decent schedules
Cons
No advancment
Great for beginners
CASHIER (Current Employee) –  Greensboro, NCMay 14, 2016
This job is great for people just stepping into the job field. There are times one might not like it; however, your team is there to uplift you.
High pace work environment
FOOD WORKER (Former Employee) –  River Falls, WIMay 7, 2016
High paced work environment with a high level of interaction with customers. I learned to multi-task and work independently and within a group. My co-workers were intelligent and hard working people who were sociable and extremely helpful.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
short breaks
Great attmusphire
Director of Operations (Former Employee) –  San Angelo, TXMay 5, 2016
Director of operations. San Angelo TX.Great overall company, good benefits. Quality of life. Ranked #1 in contract services.
Very cultural environment
Student Manager (Current Employee) –  Superior, WIMay 2, 2016
Due to the fact that Chartwells is at a university, it is a very cultural environment. I found that the management was somewhat poor.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Short breaks, lacking employees
Currently work there
Lead Cook (Current Employee) –  Kennesaw, GAApril 7, 2016
I started with Chartwells (they took over my account) around a year ago, and I like them quite a bit. Very easy to talk to about issues, and open minded to different issues that arise. The big problem are the breaks(X-mas, Spring break, etc.) we currently have, as they are taking their toll income wise. These are not their fault, obviously, it's just that I can't work around the lack of income at those times anymore.
Very good
HR Assistant (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCApril 7, 2016
I got an amazing experience working for Chartwells as a HR assistant, for the HR manager at UNC Charlotte. I got the opportunity to discover what I am capable of, as I could learn new things by myself and implement the best possible solution whenever a new challenge was given to me.
productive and fun place with pingpong tables
Packer/Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLApril 6, 2016
it was a nice job funny people good work enviroment.
they fixed lunch for us everyday i love working for them.
my first job i actually worked at for a long period of time i really liked it.
Pros
free lunches, good food
Cons
write ups if you 2 mins late from break.
learning experience
line cook (Current Employee) –  Sheridan, WYApril 5, 2016
Its never the same things everyday, I help with what needs to be done. I have learned how to prep different meals. Managment is decent, some co-workers are better then other. the hardest part of working at chartwells is dealing with the other students who dont like to listen or respect our policys, the most enjoyable part of my day is doing what I love and learning new things.
good company to work for
Food service Manager (Former Employee) –  Westport, CTApril 2, 2016
prepare food to be served, supervise staff, customer interaction, count register, bank deposit, clean up restock, place orders put orders away
team friendly
Cashier (Current Employee) –  2948 knights lane jacksonville fl 32216March 31, 2016
. A typical day at work: I'm a lunch lady I come in make the sides for my line ring up the kid Breakfast and then we clean up make pizza or whatever else we need for lunch. When lunch ends I clean my space.
. What I learned: how to have patience with the children . management and my co-workers: management and co-workers are very friendly and help out
hardest and most enjoyable: hardest part is really nothing its a pretty easy and enjoyable job.
Fun and productive place to work.
Food Prep/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Spring Arbor, MIMarch 30, 2016
The people are friendly and fun to work with. Sometimes it can get hectic, but everything gets done. Management is good. The customers are rude sometimes. My boss is the best person; she makes work fun and enjoyable.
team work,fast pace,team leadership
Food Service (Former Employee) –  Spartanburg, SCMarch 28, 2016
done breakfast ,cashier at lunch, prepared food, enjoyed the work environment. Had great team leaders there. My co-workers was nice . We all worker great together.
Pros
free lunches, off in the summer, christmas time and spring break off and got paid for it.
Cons
could not get ins. Was not full-time