Chattanooga Times Free Press Employee Reviews

independant contractor
Delivery and Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNNovember 28, 2016
This job was not very hour friendly. It is not easy to make extra money, it is a lot of ware and tare on your vehicle. The management isn't very friendly.
Productive and excellent work environment
Internship Experience (Former Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNJuly 9, 2016
I was just an intern but the staff is just absolutely welcoming and helpful. Everyone is willing to help you out. The work force is alot but its really a learning experience and a lot of potential to grow within the business and advance further than when you start working there.
Fun staff
Phone Representative (Former Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNJune 10, 2016
This employer was fun to work for.
Employer was professional and leniant. If I could have lived off the pay I would have stayed.
Pros
Staff
Cons
Compensation
Nice, laid back place to work.
Deposit Clerk (Current Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNFebruary 4, 2016
I like the job just no room to advance and no pay increase in sight. Like interacting with carriers. Health insurance to expensive. I get along with everyone. Co workers have worked there several, several years. I really like that management doesn't stand right over you. They really let you work on your own.
Pros
Exercise incentives.
Cons
Low pay
Not a great fit
ACCOUNT MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNOctober 2, 2015
Expectations were not clear. Managers were not very helpful. Territory was spread out. Hours were good. Some teambuilding exercises were fun. Overall, not the best fit for me.
Pros
hours
See previous Chattanooga Times Free Press Review
Internship (Former Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNSeptember 27, 2015
Attended conference meetings, obtained detailed information on news and local sports, and helped with ideas on formatting stories.
Attended a Dodgers AA Minor League baseball game and helped take notes and highlights on the game, discussed topics for radio show, and helped with post-interviews of the Lookouts’ baseball players.
like the job a lot
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNAugust 24, 2015
The management was kind of faulty, but other than that it was a wonderful job.
I would work for them again, if given the opportunity.
Great place to work for with wonderful, welcoming staff
Sales Intern (Former Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNAugust 15, 2015
During this internship I learned a lot about sales; how to make a sell without making it overly complicated, sales is often a team effort, there's a lot more to it than just selling, you have to find prospects and show them that your service or product is a right fit for them. The management there is absolutely amazing. There wasn't a time where I felt like I couldn't ask for help if I needed it. The hardest part of this job was just that I had to learn it all so quickly and picking out the right prospects. The most enjoyable part of this job was that I got the opportunity to go to little towns I would've never planned to otherwise, and I got to meet so many lovely people, in the office and in the field.
Progressive compny to work for continually evolving offering career growth in the areas of print, digital and event advertising and marketing
Digital Sales Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNMarch 30, 2015
Large community focused employer, 500+ employees, fostering community involvement and opportunity to collaborate and cross train within toward career goals.
They are not willing to listen to concerns
Delivery Route Driver (Former Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNJanuary 19, 2015
I really disliked working here. I worked 7 days per week, and was only trained for two days before they gave me the route to myself. I had a family emergency come up and could not get my supervisor on the phone. The only thing I enjoyed was the peace and quite of working alone.
Cons
No time off and no benefits.
a great job to have
Telemarketer (Former Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNDecember 4, 2014
If u need to know anything about customer service become a telemarketer
Great place to work!
Marketing Intern (Former Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNSeptember 17, 2014
I enjoyed my time at the Times Free Press, and found it a highly educational place to work.
Pros
Great staff, learned a lot
Cons
Unpaid internship
Metro daily newspaper
Staff writer at metro daily newspaper (Current Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNJuly 23, 2014
The Chattanooga Times Free Press was voted as one of the top 10 papers that are "doing it right" by Editor and Publisher magazine. It's a professional organization.
Pros
Great co-workers
Cons
Tough times for all print media
I was a contractor here
Contractor (Former Employee) –  Chattanooga tnJanuary 6, 2014
I was a contractor here working with there employees to train them on there equipment.
Loved it
Newspaper Delivery (Former Employee) –  ChattanoogaNovember 20, 2013
Got my job done before anybody else was getting up to get started in the morning.
Love my fellow employees but wouldn't tell any to work here!
Sales Account Executive (Current Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNAugust 13, 2013
I have made some of the best friends but upper managament expects entirely to much for the pay.
Pros
Fellow Employees
Cons
Low Pay
Solid Newspaper Gig
Reporter (Former Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNJuly 1, 2013
I worked at the Times Free Press for four years, and the experience was really positive. The paper is strong financially, and the editors still believe in lots and lots of community coverage and good journalism.

One down side: The paper has a really conservative leave policy. You're only given 10 days of vacation leave each year for your first 5 years of employment. That's a real bummer, but sometimes managers bend the rules if you ask in the right way.

Like all newspapers, raises and bonuses are hard to come by in the newsroom, though I'm sure the sales side is nicely compensated for making their goals.

Overall, this is a solid place to work. If you are inclined to work at a newspaper, don't overlook the chance to be a part of the Times Free Press.
Pros
Few layoffs, complimentary gym, great location
Cons
Lack of leave, old-school mentality persists
Free Press
Production Associate (Former Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNMarch 28, 2013
easygoing enjoyable I learn that everybody not who they claim to be was okay but have been better not good coworker Nothing being able to have some income coming in
Pros
descent job
Cons
unfair management, not enough hours, disorderly coworker
Very fun job
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNFebruary 22, 2013
Worked in billing department and handled billing questions and other administrative duties. Co-workers were very nice and so was management. The most enjoyable part of job was knowing that I helped a customer resolve a problem.
Pros
good hours and good benefits;
Cons
not making enough money to stay afloat
good co-workers and a great gym
Web Developer (Current Employee) –  Chattanooga TnNovember 9, 2012
The location is smack in the middle of downtown so it's great for a lunchtime bike ride or finding a place to eat with the co-workers. I have learned almost everything i know about web design while working here. The management is pretty straight forward, Im given a task and it's up to me to get it done. Management is there to follow my progress and make sure I meet deadlines. My co-workers have become like brothers and sisters and since I spend most of my time in this room with them, it's a good thing that we can get along and make each other laugh. The hardest part of the job is the fast paced pressure and the constant shifting of priorities. What I enjoy most about working here is that the variety of projects that I've worked on has facilitated the expansion of my skills as a web developer.
Pros
gym, location
Cons
no healthcare, outdated equipment, outdated software, no raises ever

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Chattanooga Times Free Press. Our community is ready to answer.

2.4