Chautauqua Opportunities Employee Reviews

a good company doing great things for our community
Child Care Specialist (Current Employee) –  Mayville, NYJuly 21, 2016
Chautauqua Opportunities offers a lot of opportunities to advance, train and try new things.
The satellite site that I work at is really rewarding. The hardest part of the job is seeing how some of society struggle while others do not care. I have learned a lot of things that not only help me do my job better, but helped me with my personal and home life. The most important part of my job is knowing I have made a difference, no matter how small, in someone's life.
Pros
they offer a multitude of trainings from every day life to work experience
Cons
sometimes communication between satellite sites is hard
No Clue What's Going On
School Linkages Facilitator (Former Employee) –  Dunkirk, NYFebruary 3, 2016
Management is all over the place in Youth Services. The goals are good, but there is no coherent strategy - they suffer from paralysis by analysis. Lots of meetings, then you get slammed by upper management for acting on initiative.

The whole experience just made absolutely no sense.
Pros
Good goals
Cons
Upper management wastes time and money and can't keep program managers in Youth Services
Life Coach
LIFE COACH (Current Employee) –  Jamestown, NYMay 11, 2016
Assist low income families by helping them set and accomplish goals. Goal examples may be to improve parenting techniques and styles, secure stable employment, or find safe stable housing.
I would go into the clients home. So each experience was very different.
Personal Care Provider (Former Employee) –  Jamestown, NYSeptember 29, 2014
This position allowed me to create my own schedule within their hours. It made it very convenient as I raised my 3 little boys.
I would go into each clients home. So each experience was different. I would assist with cleaning the clients home, do errands for them ( groceries, pick up medications), assist them with their mail and paying bills and visit with them. I loved getting to know each one. Some were very difficult to the point I had to refuse them as a client. They were most often referred to a higher care agency. That was tough to do. But I learned so much from them. I got first hand accounts of WWII and the others Wars moving forward in time. I felt that maybe I wasn't as threatening as a therapist and they could get it off their chest. I also learn things such as vinegar and water cleaned windows much better than anything else as long as you used newspaper! I became very close with my long term clients and it was difficult when they died. But I am a firm believer in Heaven and I would celebrate their freedom! I also learned only purchase oysters in the months that end with "R"!
Pros
the stories...even from the affectionately & locally named "crabby larry"
Cons
cleaning....i would rather talk!
Wonderfull staff.
PCA (Current Employee) –  Dunkirk, NYMarch 10, 2016
Wonderfull patients, you make you own schueld, every body respect each other. Increase my lenguage talking with patient.
teaching preschool children
Teacher Aide (Former Employee) –  Jamestown, NYJanuary 28, 2016
working with young children is a most rewarding job. We do colors, shapes, problem solving, art projects, play acting, reading, circle, and many more.
Very enjoyable
Child Care (Former Employee) –  Jamestown, NYOctober 12, 2015
I got to build a relationship with the children, i got to create a bond and was allowed to teach them new things that they could do to excel. I allowed to let them feel comfortable with me.
Pros
Bond, got to train them, got to teach them.
Cons
Long hours, a lot of messes.
Head Start Classroom
Head Start Teacher (Former Employee) –  Dunkirk, NYJune 15, 2014
Head Start uses a special curriculum called High Scope that is designed to allow for child choice and pre-planning. The Head Start teacher works with teacher assistants and parents to set up learning areas in the classroom that preschool students use each day. Students participate in small group, large group and individual activities following a plan, do and review process.

As a trained elementary teacher who was used to making all the decisions about what students would be doing each moment of the day, It was a challenge to adjust to the idea that the children could decide what materials and topics they would use throughout the day.
Pros
wonderful families and co-workers
Cons
this government financed program requires extensive, routine paperwork and documentation.
Typical day at Chautauqua Opportunities
Division Clerk (Former Employee) –  Dunkirk, NYOctober 2, 2014
Typical day of work would start by covering the security monitor for the head start program to allow parents and children in as they entered the day care center. Start to see my scheduled appointments as they arrived to determine their eligibility for head start and other programs within the agency. Work on reports, send referrals for other divisions so that customers could get started in programs with their service workers. Order supplies as needed with the use of purchase orders and keep track or diapers and wipes for the daycare center. Tech support for my building in case anything goes wrong with copiers, fax machines, printers, computers, phones, and voice mail. The most challenging part about my job was all the juggling of last minute tasks you were given that needed to be done right away, when your supervisor knew about it all day long. The most enjoyable part about working for this company was trust in their employees to work under very little supervision from management and yet everyone got their job done. Really made everyone feel like they were trust worthy to get the job done without someone having to watch them at every moment of the day. Everyone worked great as a team effectively for their customers to get them what they needed.
See Resume
Runaway Homeless Youth Shelter
Case Management
Self Sufficiency Facilitator toward Self Sufficiency for customers
Family Development Plan
Pros
see resume
Cons
n/a
Informative and was nice meeting new people.
Home Care Services-PCA II (Former Employee) –  Jamestown, NYDecember 8, 2012
Helping folks who need the extra help completing tasks.Made my own hours.Due to my own child who also had to have my help with her needs.
Pros
enjoyed helping others.
Cons
wasn't making enough to compensate my gas travels .
Very stress free enviorment
Teacher Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dunkirk, NYJune 27, 2013
I loved working at Head Start because I worked with children and was able to help them learn as well as served as an interpreter for bilingual children, parents, staff and other co-workers.
Pros
friendly staff
Cons
part time
loved working with children
TEACHERS ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Dunkirk, NYFebruary 15, 2014
hands on
data entry
customer service
filing
office equipment
Pros
loved working with children
Cons
terminated too soon
I learned a lot about finance
Finance Clerk (Former Employee) –  Mayville, NYMay 31, 2012
It was a great place to work but it was only a temporary position

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Chautauqua Opportunities. Our community is ready to answer.

4.5