CHEDDARS Employee Reviews

Enjoyable and fast paced
Server (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, TXJuly 23, 2015
A day at work would start by clocking in, seeing what sidework task you are assigned for the day, and monitoring the section of tables that is given to you. As customers come up you greet them and ask what drinks they would like. You make the drinks and hand them out to the customers and ask them if they are ready to order, if so you take their order and type it into the computer and soon after you deliver their food. Soon after you ask them how everything is and if they need anything. While this is going on you walk by and monitor if they need refills or to see if they need you. At the same time you are catering to other tables and having to keep up a good attitude. Also you are expected to keep up with your sidework task as well. After closing it is your job to clean you table section, finish an assigned task, and end your day with meeting with a manager to give them receipts, the receipt that has all of your sales on it, and the money the restaurant made. The leftovers are the tips you made.
The things I learned in this experience are how to multitask, handle the fast paced stress, and how working with others does make an impact of the quality of service.
Management here can be your biggest allies within the craziness of a workday. They are helpful in answering any questions you have and can help you out with pretty much anything you need. They are professional yet compassionate and understanding at the same time. Management here really does their best to ensure everything is running smoothly.
Co-workers can also be your biggest allies as well. Even the best server
  more... out there can get overwhelmed and that is where co-workers come in. Whenever someones in trouble most of the time they can ask for help and get everything done depending on how busy it is. Teamwork really plays a role here.
The hardest part of the job is really learning how to juggle so many things at once and at the same time handling the stress of it all, but once you learn how to do all of that the job is so much easier.
The most enjoyable part of the job to me is that rush from all the chaos that you turn into serving and pleasing other people in such a way that they leave satisfied.
Pros
Never bored, always busy, and room for growth
Cons
Short breaks, and late hours
Productive and fun workplace
Hostess & Waitress (Former Employee) –  Harker Heights, TexasAugust 8, 2013
Everyday is almost just like every other day. The guests just makes it exciting. I like meeting new people including new co-workers. I learn to deal with different kinds of personality that surrounds me everyday at work. The managers are always there for me and fellow teammates. Managers are very well understanding, very helpful, they're always checking on how we are doing and how our guests are doing, they always held group meetings when things needs to be said and done, they communicate well and work well under pressure or when we get full house. My co-workers are very helpful. ex, when I'm serving five tables and I'm behind; My co-workers would ask if I need help. The hardest part of the day is when I am serving a party of twenty and two extra tables of other guests. The most enjoyable part of the job is making my guests walk out with a big satisfaction and a full tummy.
Pros
free drinks, half off meals
Cons
short breaks, no health benefits
Hard
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Newport News, VAOctober 16, 2013
People believe that a hostess has the easiest job. We don't we are the first thing people see and sometimes thats good sometimes not so good. Work life there was very stressful. I can handle stress easily but this was over whelming. Stress doesn't bother me until I worked here I worked 4 jobs I was in sports and I maintained an A average in school so stress doesn't bother me, but here it became to much so I left.
I did not want to leave my co-workers they became my family. We all got along very well, and being the youngest hostess everyone helped me out and now that I am older I am happy they helped me because I would not have grown as well as I have without them.
Management was ok, not the best by no means. My general manager at the time was an angel he helped everyone out a lot unlike most managers. If you had a problem you went to him and he fixed in.
Pros
tips
Cons
no benefits
productive and fun workplace
Server (Former Employee) –  Chandler, AZJune 2, 2014
just like a lot of restaurants; you serve everyone who sits down, and make them leave with a smile on their face. iv learned that we all have to work together to get anything done, and i cant get mad at the cooks, because they are working very hard in the back. Management, is okay, its not the best, but they just need to learn a little more about the restaurant. the hardest part of my job was all the disrespect going on with all my co-workers. i loved my job, because i got to see everyone's face when they tasted our amazing food. i love when our guest leaves happy.
Pros
half off lunches.
Cons
no breaks, only if i work a double.
learned about why teamwork is so important.
Waitress (Former Employee) –  Newport News, VAJanuary 8, 2015
Going to work every day at Cheddars was hard work and long hours, but the financial outcome was beneficial. If you worked hard and wanted to be there to make the money, you got along with your fellow co-workers. The hardest part of the job is that working with a lot of unique and different kind of people, that worked different ways than you. Team work in a restaurant is crucial, and when you don't have that team it can get very difficult. I worked at the Cheddars here in Newport News, as well as, the one down in Brandon, Florida. The difference between the two places was the consistency of the everyday work flow and teamwork. You were able to see a dramatic change on how a restaurant is really supposed to run.
Productive and fun workplace
Server/Bartender (Current Employee) –  Warner Robins, GAAugust 10, 2012
Working at Cheddars can be very unpredictable and you will learn quickly how to problem solve under pressure. This also can be very exciting if you are up for the challenge. The management staff at this establishment is one of the best Ive seen, they are flexible with scheduling and make it very easy to turn to them if you have an issue. If I went to them with something it was confidential and I truly appreciate that. The hardest part of the job could possibly be working with so many people in a small space. It can get really crammed on the server line on a friday night. The most enjoyable part of the job for me is the people, the guests along with my coworkers and management staff.
Pros
half off on food
Cons
short breaks, healthcare
productive and fun workplace
Server (Current Employee) –  Jonesboro, ARJuly 30, 2012
a typical day at work is kind of laid back and fun. it can get a little hectic and chaotic between co-workers, but for the most part its fair. I learned that you have to be patient when working ina restaurant. The management team is good when it comes to us all working all together to better the company. Some of my co-workers are pleasnat to be around while others should choose another job if they don't like the one they have. the hardest part of my job is facing the customer after they have waited on their food for almost an hour. the most enjoyable part is doing my job with the people i love to work with.
Pros
half off on food
Cons
tips, no healthcare, no room for improvement
Loved working in a very fast paced location
General Manager/ Manager (Former Employee) –  McAllen / Corpus ChristiJune 6, 2015
At Cheddars I really enjoyed the people the I worked with. Everyone was very nice and friendly. I did feel appreciated. My work days at Cheddars was always new, that is what makes the restaurant business very appealing to me. What I learned while at Cheddars is how to " chop wood " basically everything has a route cause and the way to fix any issue is to find it and solve it.

I found the most difficult thing about working at Cheddars was the long days at work. I would usually put in about 60 hours a week and there was times that it would get burnt out. But with in saying that the most enjoyable part for me was seeing a guest leave happy and return for more.
Pros
Scratch Kitchen
Cons
The perfect place to grow as an employee and as a person
Waiter (Former Employee) –  Warner Robins, GAMay 16, 2014
Cheddars is a place that holds great customer service and great food for a very low price. As an ex Employee of this particular location, I've had really good times and very trying times, whether from A customer, fellow employee, or a manager. No matter the opponent its the perfect place to build character and strengthen your work ethic. Overall I'd say they have a great team and a hard working staff. Do I think they have a few flaws? Yes. What business or workplace doesn't?
Pros
half off on the a meal for each day you worked
Cons
you can only get half off for just one shift and only 30 mins before or after your shift
Productive and a sometimes good place to be at.
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Baytown, TXJune 14, 2012
My typical day at cheddars was very upbeat, I enjoyed working there even though it stayed busy but to me that was the best part, cause I don't like standing around not doing anything at work. During the time that I've worked there I learned that you have to take accountable for every action that you do, to be on time and make the guest feel welcomed soon as they walk through the door. There wasn't really anything hard about the job, I just made sure that nothing got out of hand.
Pros
my co-workers, tip share
Cons
the new managers that we tried to help out
A Job that will teach everything that could be wrong with a Company
Busser (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MOJune 13, 2014
Management is horrible. Doesn't care about the employees. You are replaceable in their eyes. General Manager went out of the way to ensure you don't earn money. The General Manager actually said if tipshare is high, that is a reason to bring on more employees to lower how much tipshare employees are earning, not whether or not the job was being completed. General Manager will not address issues you have, and will ignore anything that is negative. Will insult you to your face and in front of the rest of the staff. Scheduled requests don't matter. Management goes out of the way to ensure you don't average the 35 hours a week needed for a vacation.
Pros
working with other employees
Cons
zero breaks. horrible management that starts with the general manner.
Working there is difficult! It can be overwhelming and very stressful.
Server (Former Employee) –  Savannah, GAFebruary 18, 2013
Working at Cheddars, I learned how to multi-task in a very fast paced environment. The management there is uninterested in the servers issues. They make it hard to fix any problems when it comes to the food or the customers. Therre is too much work put on the servers which makes it hard to give the customers the proper service they deserve. The food is good and the staff is friendly for the most part. The hardest part of the job is learning to work in a very small kitchen with 25 plus employees. I do enjoy interacting with the customers and helping people. I am a people pleaser, so I try to do anything I can to make sure the customer has the best as experience possible.
Productive and busy workplace
General Employee (Former Employee) –  London, KYMarch 5, 2015
A typical work day would consist of cleaning tables, spills, and floors as customers finished eating and left the restaurant. Here I was able to learn simple maintenance and cleaning regulations of over all guidelines. Management was very strict, possibly due to the fact it was a newer place. Loved my co-workers, very hard working a passionate people. Hardest part of the job was at the end of each day, the closing busser had to go back through the entire restaurant and re-clean each table. Most enjoyable part was using teamwork on bigger grouped tables.
Pros
half off lunch prices
Cons
short and unknowing times of breaks
Worst experince ever.
Cook (Former Employee) –  Selma TexasAugust 23, 2012
Your locked in the back of the house with no breaks poor management. No organization skills, staff under qualifed and poorly trained. Guests have to wait 30min to an hour(sometimes longer on the weekends) for sub par food. They claim to be a scratch kitchen when they get most of there meats in frozen premarinated or seasoned.Vegetable from the can never fresh. Pot roast is fully cooked and frozen when recieved the thawed and microwaved to order along with the veggies. Kings of the microwave for cooking and reheating. There was 4 to 5 microwave's on line and the so called sonic steamer is a microwave on steroids.
A productive and fun workplace with cheddars
Server (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJune 13, 2014
A typical day at cheddars for me would be going in with about a hour of down time until or dinner rush kicks in. I've learned how to deal with upset customers, and I've also learned to be patient. All of my manger an co-workers for the most part are pretty chill and down to earth people. The hardest part of the job would be the lunch rush , where you have like six tables an every tables is full, and majority of your customers are asking you for something they need. The most enjoyable is seeing everybody smile
newest job in my city with good managers
Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MOSeptember 23, 2013
typical dy at work begins with clocking in and getting to work station. i learned how to properly wash dishes. my managers there was excellent and listened to any problems or issues that you had towards any other co workers or any issues you had at the job.co workers all worked great and was as a solid team effort.the hardest part of the job was the end of the shift which took over an hour to complete to the likings of your managers. enjoyable part ws getting to know the people you worked around.
Pros
free drinks
Cons
no healthcare
Great place to work and meet people!
Manager (Current Employee) –  Forsyth IlJune 29, 2015
A day in management consists of overseeing roughly 40 workers daily. Food safety and sanitation practices are implemented and followed thoroughly in addition to taking care of guest concerns. The most difficult part of the job is making sure that every single employee is doing there job. What I enjoy most is the development process for each potential star that is hired. When we train employees in the proper way, it allows for guest to receive an unforgettable experience which is what maters most.
Low pay for long hours
Server/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Newport News, VAJanuary 17, 2013
A lack of clear policies and enforcement of rules makes it difficult to provide guests with above average service, you can make good money here if you are tenacious and able to handle high volumes of stress. Although it is fun to work with people who are easy going and passive, it doesn't run a good business in the end.
Pros
cash every shift, discounts on food.
Cons
no uniforms provided, strict dress code, poor equipment.
very busy place.
Culinary Assistant (Former Employee) –  Overland Park, KSJuly 11, 2012
A typical day at work for me was to get there about 30 minutes early, maybe eat, then i would get my work area cleaned and stock up on supplys. I learned to work with other better than before. If there was a problem that i had with another co-worker they would talk to them. The hardest part of the job was not getting behind when it started to get busy.
Pros
discount on food.
Cons
only get a break if you work morning and evening shift.
Fun workplace, with flexible schedule
Server (Current Employee) –  Warner Robins, GAAugust 20, 2012
A typical day at Cheddar's includes waiting on guests, maintaining my side work duties, and running food for guests. I've learned how to multitask, use my time wisely, and work as a team through working with Cheddar's. I enjoy working with my coworkers and managers. They keep a good environment, and fun workplace. The hardest part of my job is not having benefits, and minimal hourly pay. The most enjoyable part of my job is working with the public and meeting new people in my community.
Pros
flexible hours, good work environment
Cons
no benefits, minimal hourly pay