Chemeketa Community College Employee Reviews

setting up lighting and sound booth
Auditorium Assistant (Former Employee) –  Salem, ORDecember 21, 2016
setting up for events, stage assemble and disassemble, proper lighting techniques, great co-workers, hardest part at times was lighting on the catwalks. met new and outgoing people
Pros
always meting new people
Cons
down times not so good
working with students was great
Van Driver (Current Employee) –  Salem, ORDecember 8, 2016
Rewarding in that you can make a difference in people lives.Co-workers are friendly and helpful.The hardest part of working there is putting up with the politics.
its a college
Student (Current Employee) –  Salem, OROctober 17, 2016
typical college with all the usual programs of study. the teachers are great and very understanding just dont expect to do well if you skip a lot of classes
Positive work envionment
Volunteer Work (Current Employee) –  GreenhouseApril 15, 2016
A typical day consists of weeding, watering plants and helping the greenhouse staff with projects.
I lean about the different plants I water and what weeds need to be pulled.
For me the most enjoyable part of volunteering at the greenhouse is that I know that I'm helping out a friend with the work that needs to be done.
A caring learning environment
Adjunct Faculty (Current Employee) –  Salem Oregon main campusDecember 19, 2015
As an adjunct faculty person, I was valued by the departments within I worked and as an instructor. Instructors work with each other to support each other whether they are of the same department or not.
Pros
Wonderful working environment
Cons
Work dependent upon number of classes scheduled, the times scheduled and the number of students planning on taking that specific calls.
fun and productive envioronment
Clerical Worker (Current Employee) –  Salem, ORAugust 12, 2015
typical day at work;a nswering phones, helping students log in. computer word documents. nice and friendly staff. lots of variety with helping students, taking messages. printing and delivering documents. helping students with work.
Pros
breaks, friendly enviornment
Cons
no healthcare unless full time
Challenging and rewarding experience in Teaching
Instructor (Former Employee) –  Salem, ORJune 15, 2015
I taught night classes, which could be challenging after a full day at the office. I learned how to communicate legal concepts to non-lawyers in a simple format.

Hardest part of the job: the evening hours of work.

Most enjoyable part of the job: seeing a student understand the concepts that I was teaching.
Pros
independence
Cons
low pay always
Laid Back and Productive Work Place
Office Assistant (Current Employee) –  Salem, ORMarch 8, 2015
A typical day starts with coming in and saying hi to everyone I make eye contact with since I know almost everyone in the office because it's small and personal with only about ten of us. Then after a quick "hi, how are you" with my manager she tells me what she wants me to work on and if she has nothing for me then I ask one of the other employees since someone always has some kind of project going on and there almost always is filing that needs to be done. Once I find something to do the day goes by very smoothly with an occasional conversation here and there with a co-worker and before I know the day is over. Sometimes I get so caught up in what I am working on I forget to watch the clock and 5:00pm rolls around and my manager will have to remind me that it's time to leave.
Fun place to work
Multicultural Student Leader (Former Employee) –  Salem, ORAugust 12, 2014
An enjoyable place to work. Everyday was different then any other I learned great customer service skills and learned about the diversity our school holds. Management was great, my team members were great and we enjoyed each others company, we were a big family. The hardest part of the job was trying to focus on a certain task since there was more than one given, work on a really fast pace environment. I enjoyed working for chemeketa because helping students was what I enjoyed to do.
Pros
Great team, Nice people, very supportive
Very relaxed environment, I am able to work my hours around my class times
Facilities Technician (Current Employee) –  Salem, ORJune 10, 2014
Working for Chemeketa is always interesting, I never know from day to day what we will be working on. The daily jobs range from helping remove a recessed ceiling to putting plug ends on Ethernet cables or installing lab equipment.
While at Chemeketa, I learned that all people are different and everyone deserves respect no matter what they look like or where they come from.
The managers at Chemeketa are always considerate of diversity.
Pros
No set Schedule
Cons
No health care
Lovely campus and wonderful work environment with great people
Electronics Tech. in elect. lab/Adjunct faculty (Former Employee) –  Salem, OregonAugust 29, 2012
Chance to work with great people to help people of all ages improve their lives and follow their dreams. Interesting place to work with lots of opportunities to learn new things and do a variety of different activities. Not at all boring to work there. The management is very respectful and encouraging and will work with you to give you added opportunities. Great holidays and benefits.
Pros
great holidays, wonderful work environment, terrific co-workers and management.
Cons
lower wages from what i could get in the electronics industry
Productive and fun workplace with all the right people.
Welding Student (Former Employee) –  Salem, ORMay 25, 2014
For most of the year it was a easy get-in-get-out type of work environment that would get people ready for most of the jobs outside of being a student in college. I learned how to perform different styles of welding and how to diagnose issues in the shop. The instructors were great and would always help with even the slightest problems. The other students in the shop were all easy to get along with because they all had similar personalities as my own and similar career goals as well. The hardest part of the job was having to stand for several hours of the day, which even that wasn't too bad. The best part of being a student there was the ability to feel welcome in the environment that surrounded me.
Great place to work for
Student Service Technician/JOBS case aide (Former Employee) –  Salem, ORMay 29, 2015
Love my position with Chemeketa. Due to State budget cuts the funding for 60% of the JOBS program was cut. Co-workers were great, benefits were great and they were a caring company to work for.
Pros
co workers. management, staff, medical insurance, tuition waviers
Cons
budget cuts
Rewarding place to work!
Admissions/Secretary (Former Employee) –  Salem, ORApril 20, 2014
I enjoyed coming to work every day at Chemeketa. Students are there because they want to be there to learn, not because they have to be. There is plenty of opportunity to change job positions. Employees who work here stay here. Benefits are great.
Pros
Fun atmosphere where you feel like you are helping others.
Cons
Pay increases are minimal.
Interactive and fun place to work for.
Van Driver (Current Employee) –  Salem, ORMay 14, 2015
Help International Students to adapt to the American system when it comes about education. Make sure local and international students interact with each other so both side can get to know each other.
Pros
Get to know new cultures.
Cons
a few hours a week to work
A college that opens doors
Paid Tutor (Former Employee) –  Salem, OROctober 6, 2013
For an aspiring engineer this community college gave a calm environment to learn. It also gave opportunities to volunteer and share the information that the student learned in the Tutoring center. If a student has the passion to assist others in their education, the Tutoring Center is the place to go.
A reliable and responsive employer
Adjunct Instructor (Current Employee) –  Salem, ORFebruary 21, 2014
I teach at Chemeketa on a contractual basis. For the last dozen years, that teaching has been online, so I work for the online department. I am able to work from home, which is great. The online department staff is excellent, and if I ever have a concern or a question, I get the help I need.

The best part of the job is working with a students from diverse backgrounds and seeing their writing improve.

Every so often, the department rolls out a new platform, which necessitates self-directed training. I can't say I enjoy that much, but after I learn a new system, I usually find it beneficial.

By far the most difficult aspect of the job is grading papers, particularly those with the most problems. However, I've devised a pretty good system for giving meaningful feedback in a timely manner.
Pros
Working at home, meeting interesting people, and helping others succeed.
Cons
Grading essays, learning new systems, feeling a little isolated
Excellent employer
Student Services Specialist (Former Employee) –  Salem, ORAugust 17, 2013
Excellent employer for over twelve years. Always on a 'soft money' budget which has caused layoff three years in a row. Cares a great deal about employees. Love the academic setting.
Pros
Wonderful place to work
Cons
Frequent budget cuts affecting secure employment.
Training & Development Coordinator/Lead (Current Employee) –  Salem, ORMarch 27, 2012
Chemeketa has been my employer for 13 years and has given me the fantastic opportunity to grow as an individual and an employee. I was given the creative freedom to think outside the box and the incentive to push myself to be a better employee.
Good experience
Multimedia Team in Office of Student Life (Former Employee) –  Salem, ORAugust 31, 2015
It was an awesome, fun environment to work in. Good and understandable management of the design team. Good start to the design career

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Chemeketa Community College. Our community is ready to answer.

4.6