Chemeketa Community College

Chemeketa Community College Employer Reviews

Fun place to work
Multicultural Student Leader (Former Employee), Salem, ORAugust 12, 2014
Pros: great team, nice people, very supportive
An enjoyable place to work. Everyday was different then any other I learned great customer service skills and learned about the diversity our school holds. Management was great, my team members were great and we enjoyed each others company, we were a big family. The hardest part of the job was trying to focus on a certain task since there was more than – more... one given, work on a really fast pace environment. I enjoyed working for chemeketa because helping students was what I enjoyed to do. – less
Very relaxed environment, I am able to work my hours around my class times
Facilities Technician (Current Employee), Salem, ORJune 10, 2014
Pros: no set schedule
Cons: no health care
Working for Chemeketa is always interesting, I never know from day to day what we will be working on. The daily jobs range from helping remove a recessed ceiling to putting plug ends on Ethernet cables or installing lab equipment.
While at Chemeketa, I learned that all people are different and everyone deserves respect no matter what they look like – more... or where they come from.
The managers at Chemeketa are always considerate of diversity. – less
Productive and fun workplace with all the right people.
Welding Student (Former Employee), Salem, ORMay 25, 2014
For most of the year it was a easy get-in-get-out type of work environment that would get people ready for most of the jobs outside of being a student in college. I learned how to perform different styles of welding and how to diagnose issues in the shop. The instructors were great and would always help with even the slightest problems. The other students – more... in the shop were all easy to get along with because they all had similar personalities as my own and similar career goals as well. The hardest part of the job was having to stand for several hours of the day, which even that wasn't too bad. The best part of being a student there was the ability to feel welcome in the environment that surrounded me. – less
Rewarding place to work!
Admissions/Secretary (Former Employee), Salem, ORApril 20, 2014
Pros: fun atmosphere where you feel like you are helping others.
Cons: pay increases are minimal.
I enjoyed coming to work every day at Chemeketa. Students are there because they want to be there to learn, not because they have to be. There is plenty of opportunity to change job positions. Employees who work here stay here. Benefits are great.
Good for what it is
Student (Former Employee), Salem, ORApril 11, 2014
I was trying to figure out what to do out of the Army, and though I didn't find the answer here I was able to determine where I was starting as and what type of learning style I have.
Productive work place
Professor (Current Employee), Salem, ORMarch 26, 2014
Pros: fun and exciting work place
Cons: healthcare, hours
I really like my place of business, however if I was full time it would be more fulfilling.
A reliable and responsive employer
Adjunct Instructor (Current Employee), Salem, ORFebruary 21, 2014
Pros: working at home, meeting interesting people, and helping others succeed.
Cons: grading essays, learning new systems, feeling a little isolated
I teach at Chemeketa on a contractual basis. For the last dozen years, that teaching has been online, so I work for the online department. I am able to work from home, which is great. The online department staff is excellent, and if I ever have a concern or a question, I get the help I need.

The best part of the job is working with a students from – more... diverse backgrounds and seeing their writing improve.

Every so often, the department rolls out a new platform, which necessitates self-directed training. I can't say I enjoy that much, but after I learn a new system, I usually find it beneficial.

By far the most difficult aspect of the job is grading papers, particularly those with the most problems. However, I've devised a pretty good system for giving meaningful feedback in a timely manner. – less
Productive,open-mindedness working in a diverse environment with culture differences
International Student Ambassador (Current Employee), Salem, ORJanuary 9, 2014
Pros: free lunches, social gatherings with the staff
Cons: culture differences, sometimes needed to ask many times to complete a given task
Being a foreigner is a challenge on its own yet i had to learn things fast and try not to make mistakes. This helped me to keep up with American linear culture. The management was so supportive and understanding,they wouldn't care how many times i ask a question as long as I am doing my best.International Programs Office is surrounded by International – more... students workers,despite culture and personal differences we were able to work together as a team.We put up our own rules and everyone agreed on them. The hardest part was to stay on super focused on a given tasks during the first week of school since many students are new and need to make appointments with their advisors or just drop in. The enjoyable part of the job is when you learn how to do it without supervision and also working in such a diverse environment helped me to improve my personality and want to be a better person everyday. – less
A college that opens doors
Paid Tutor (Former Employee), Salem, OROctober 6, 2013
For an aspiring engineer this community college gave a calm environment to learn. It also gave opportunities to volunteer and share the information that the student learned in the Tutoring center. If a student has the passion to assist others in their education, the Tutoring Center is the place to go.
Excellent employer
Student Services Specialist (Former Employee), Salem, ORAugust 17, 2013
Pros: wonderful place to work
Cons: frequent budget cuts affecting secure employment.
Excellent employer for over twelve years. Always on a 'soft money' budget which has caused layoff three years in a row. Cares a great deal about employees. Love the academic setting.
Loved it
Adjunct Instructor - Computer Information Systems (Former Employee), Salem, ORJuly 17, 2013
I really loved teaching and Chemeketa wasn't a bad place to teach at. There was little direction for me but I liked the hands off approach.
College
Student (Former Employee), Salem, ORMay 29, 2013
I studied Criminal Justice. I did pottery. I learned psychology. I took health. I took volleyball as a P.E. elective. The campus is nice. The staff was professional and courteous.
Excellent culture for balance, life, and educational opportunities
Training and Employment Specialist (Former Employee), Sublimity, ORMarch 25, 2013
Concentration in continuous training and balance of life issues. Very well educated and dedicated employees dedicated to educational opportunities.
Education
Student (Current Employee), McMinnville OregonFebruary 27, 2013
Chemeketa Community College has more than exceeded my Expectations.
Great place to gain skills and insight
Clerical II (Current Employee), Salem, OROctober 24, 2012
Pros: my bosses
Cons: student pay is low
I have thoroughly enjoyed working here. Co-workers are friendly, helpful and the best part is you get to work with other students.
Positive atmosphere.
Productive and fun. Great place to learn.
Full Time Student (Former Employee), Salem, OROctober 19, 2012
Easy to get enrolled into, and great place to start your studies.
Lovely campus and wonderful work environment with great people
Electronics Tech. in elect. lab/Adjunct faculty (Former Employee), Salem, OregonAugust 29, 2012
Pros: great holidays, wonderful work environment, terrific co-workers and management.
Cons: lower wages from what i could get in the electronics industry
Chance to work with great people to help people of all ages improve their lives and follow their dreams. Interesting place to work with lots of opportunities to learn new things and do a variety of different activities. Not at all boring to work there. The management is very respectful and encouraging and will work with you to give you added opportunities. – more... Great holidays and benefits. – less
More involvement with the career field I am going into.
Machine Tech Asst 1 (Current Employee), Salem, ORAugust 23, 2012
I enjoy working here because the people are friendly and everyone works well together as a team.
Training & Development Coordinator/Lead (Current Employee), Salem, ORMarch 27, 2012
Chemeketa has been my employer for 13 years and has given me the fantastic opportunity to grow as an individual and an employee. I was given the creative freedom to think outside the box and the incentive to push myself to be a better employee.