Chemeketa Community College Employee Reviews in United States

A caring learning environment
Adjunct Faculty (Current Employee) –  Salem Oregon main campusDecember 19, 2015
As an adjunct faculty person, I was valued by the departments within I worked and as an instructor. Instructors work with each other to support each other whether they are of the same department or not.
Pros
Wonderful working environment
Cons
Work dependent upon number of classes scheduled, the times scheduled and the number of students planning on taking that specific calls.
A nice place to work, with good people, and a good environment
Microcomputer Support Technician Assistant (Current Employee) –  Salem, ORDecember 3, 2015
Being a microcomputer support technician assistant at CCC is a great position because of all the experience and knowledge that I'm gaining.

In a typical day, our supervisors lay out a list of tasks that should be worked on or completed in set amount of time. I specialize in rack building, which is configuring and installing software and hardware into "racks" that will then be installed into classrooms for professors to use.

I have learned a lot about all the different types of hardware that is used in a professional IT field, as well as the software that comes along with it. I am able to identify problems as they occur, and have been provided with the knowledge on how to fix said problems.

My supervisors are extremely easy to get along with. They are constantly encouraging us to do our best, and assist us with problems that we may not know how to solve. Adding to this, my co-workers couldn't be a better group. We all work together, and it takes a lot of the stress off because we're all able to socialize while getting tasks done efficiently.

The hardest part of the job is juggling many large scale projects at the same time while finding ways to complete them in the same time frame.

The most enjoyable part of the job is honestly the work itself. I'm a tech person, and I love that my job is working with and on different kinds of technology. The work I do is extremely interesting and I'm constantly learning new things.
Pros
A 15 minute break every 2 hours, good working environment, and you aren't bored.
Cons
not much room for advancement. You also only get 20 scheduled work hours a week.
Good experience
Multimedia Team in Office of Student Life (Former Employee) –  Salem, ORAugust 31, 2015
It was an awesome, fun environment to work in. Good and understandable management of the design team. Good start to the design career
fun and productive envioronment
Clerical Worker (Current Employee) –  Salem, ORAugust 12, 2015
typical day at work;a nswering phones, helping students log in. computer word documents. nice and friendly staff. lots of variety with helping students, taking messages. printing and delivering documents. helping students with work.
Pros
breaks, friendly enviornment
Cons
no healthcare unless full time
great team spirit
Peer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Salem, ORJuly 10, 2015
I enjoyed working with students in the community and offering experiential advice when discussing future career/personal endeavors.
Challenging and rewarding experience in Teaching
Instructor (Former Employee) –  Salem, ORJune 15, 2015
I taught night classes, which could be challenging after a full day at the office. I learned how to communicate legal concepts to non-lawyers in a simple format.

Hardest part of the job: the evening hours of work.

Most enjoyable part of the job: seeing a student understand the concepts that I was teaching.
Pros
independence
Cons
low pay always
Best Ever
Benefits Specialist (Current Employee) –  Salem, ORJune 11, 2015
I have worked for Chemeketa for several years. It is a family atmosphere. You never feel like your managers are your managers but your peers.
Great place to work for
Student Service Technician/JOBS case aide (Former Employee) –  Salem, ORMay 29, 2015
Love my position with Chemeketa. Due to State budget cuts the funding for 60% of the JOBS program was cut. Co-workers were great, benefits were great and they were a caring company to work for.
Pros
co workers. management, staff, medical insurance, tuition waviers
Cons
budget cuts
Interactive and fun place to work for.
Van Driver (Current Employee) –  Salem, ORMay 14, 2015
Help International Students to adapt to the American system when it comes about education. Make sure local and international students interact with each other so both side can get to know each other.
Pros
Get to know new cultures.
Cons
a few hours a week to work
Laid Back and Productive Work Place
Office Assistant (Current Employee) –  Salem, ORMarch 8, 2015
A typical day starts with coming in and saying hi to everyone I make eye contact with since I know almost everyone in the office because it's small and personal with only about ten of us. Then after a quick "hi, how are you" with my manager she tells me what she wants me to work on and if she has nothing for me then I ask one of the other employees since someone always has some kind of project going on and there almost always is filing that needs to be done. Once I find something to do the day goes by very smoothly with an occasional conversation here and there with a co-worker and before I know the day is over. Sometimes I get so caught up in what I am working on I forget to watch the clock and 5:00pm rolls around and my manager will have to remind me that it's time to leave.
Excellent!!
Payroll Assistant (Former Employee) –  Salem, ORJanuary 28, 2015
Amazing people & work experience. Always had something to do, kept busy!
Helping students
Math Tutor/Cashier (Former Employee) –  McMinnville, ORJanuary 27, 2015
It was a great learning experience. I thoroughly enjoyed helping students understand math and get through their classes
Working here felt like my second home.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  McMinnville, OROctober 4, 2014
I opened the college Monday thru Friday, set up the office for business.
Pros
interaction with students was great!
Cons
sometimes my breaks were short.
Fun place to work
Multicultural Student Leader (Former Employee) –  Salem, ORAugust 12, 2014
An enjoyable place to work. Everyday was different then any other I learned great customer service skills and learned about the diversity our school holds. Management was great, my team members were great and we enjoyed each others company, we were a big family. The hardest part of the job was trying to focus on a certain task since there was more than one given, work on a really fast pace environment. I enjoyed working for chemeketa because helping students was what I enjoyed to do.
Pros
great team, nice people, very supportive
Very relaxed environment, I am able to work my hours around my class times
Facilities Technician (Current Employee) –  Salem, ORJune 10, 2014
Working for Chemeketa is always interesting, I never know from day to day what we will be working on. The daily jobs range from helping remove a recessed ceiling to putting plug ends on Ethernet cables or installing lab equipment.
While at Chemeketa, I learned that all people are different and everyone deserves respect no matter what they look like or where they come from.
The managers at Chemeketa are always considerate of diversity.
Pros
no set schedule
Cons
no health care
Productive and fun workplace with all the right people.
Welding Student (Former Employee) –  Salem, ORMay 25, 2014
For most of the year it was a easy get-in-get-out type of work environment that would get people ready for most of the jobs outside of being a student in college. I learned how to perform different styles of welding and how to diagnose issues in the shop. The instructors were great and would always help with even the slightest problems. The other students in the shop were all easy to get along with because they all had similar personalities as my own and similar career goals as well. The hardest part of the job was having to stand for several hours of the day, which even that wasn't too bad. The best part of being a student there was the ability to feel welcome in the environment that surrounded me.
Rewarding place to work!
Admissions/Secretary (Former Employee) –  Salem, ORApril 20, 2014
I enjoyed coming to work every day at Chemeketa. Students are there because they want to be there to learn, not because they have to be. There is plenty of opportunity to change job positions. Employees who work here stay here. Benefits are great.
Pros
fun atmosphere where you feel like you are helping others.
Cons
pay increases are minimal.
Good for what it is
Student (Former Employee) –  Salem, ORApril 11, 2014
I was trying to figure out what to do out of the Army, and though I didn't find the answer here I was able to determine where I was starting as and what type of learning style I have.
Productive work place
Professor (Current Employee) –  Salem, ORMarch 26, 2014
I really like my place of business, however if I was full time it would be more fulfilling.
Pros
fun and exciting work place
Cons
healthcare, hours
A reliable and responsive employer
Adjunct Instructor (Current Employee) –  Salem, ORFebruary 21, 2014
I teach at Chemeketa on a contractual basis. For the last dozen years, that teaching has been online, so I work for the online department. I am able to work from home, which is great. The online department staff is excellent, and if I ever have a concern or a question, I get the help I need.

The best part of the job is working with a students from diverse backgrounds and seeing their writing improve.

Every so often, the department rolls out a new platform, which necessitates self-directed training. I can't say I enjoy that much, but after I learn a new system, I usually find it beneficial.

By far the most difficult aspect of the job is grading papers, particularly those with the most problems. However, I've devised a pretty good system for giving meaningful feedback in a timely manner.
Pros
working at home, meeting interesting people, and helping others succeed.
Cons
grading essays, learning new systems, feeling a little isolated

4.7