Chemical Abstracts Service

Chemical Abstracts Service Employee Reviews

One of the best jobs I've had.
Data Entry Specialist (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHDecember 9, 2016
Worked 2nd shift during most of my time at Chemical Abstracts. I would input data from chemist for the purpose of publishing research for the worlds leader in chemical information. This was done in the form of dictation, nomenclature and abstracts.
Pros
Listening to Picnic with the Pops for free and during my lunch hour. My own private concert.
Cons
Always sitting.
Extreme micromanagement and awful environment
Manager (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHApril 8, 2016
Antiquated management with a crack-the-whip, nose to the grindstone attitude. There is the expectation that you will work many hours outside of normal work hours. If you question the request or balk, you will be told that you can be replaced. That part I really dislike. There is a certain disregard for the fact that one is a human being.

I was glad to leave. Toward the end, it was more than I could handle. If I were looking at companies, I would be very weary of starting here. The environment may look attractive but the reality of working at CAS is far starker and less pleasant.
Pros
decent benefits
Cons
extreme micromanagement and poor treatment
Assistant Marketing Information Analyst (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHAugust 1, 2015
well organized group and good place to learn about business natural, however, technologies that the company is using are very old.
Different
Contractor (Current Employee) –  ColumbusJanuary 18, 2015
This is a different company to work for, most of the workers are long time contractors extending approx 6 years with little or no hope to being hired on full time. The company is generally laid back and moves slowly. Contractors are not included in most company wide news/meetings/parties.
Great benefits and job security, but an often dull culture
Assistant Scientific Information Specialist (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHJanuary 15, 2015
CAS takes care of its employees (great pay, benefits, job security, etc.), but the culture is often dull and a little isolating. However there have been many improvements since I left in 2013.
Our team
Assistant Patent Authority Analyst (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHJune 27, 2014
I work with 15 professional analyst researching and analyzing chemcial patent data, and at times we may work on database projects to upgrade existing service. Two to three days a week we may process over 2,000+ patents per analyst. I maintain 4 different quality reports and submit reports to management. My strengths are in problem-solving and trouble-shooting.
Pros
Elder friendly work environment. Oldest person in dept is 85 years of age.
Cons
No room for advancement
Productive & good place to work
Mailroom Clerk / Press OperatorPrefore (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHMay 27, 2012
Good place to work. Productive & helpful associates. Most of the
time job was enjoyable. Learned how to operate & maintain press-
room equipment.
Pros
1 hour lunchtime
Cons
low pay
A place with a strong work ethic and commitment to excellence.
Staff scientific information analyst (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHJanuary 3, 2012
The people at CAS seemed to be quite competent in their respective work fields, and willing to help. The company has a solid vision for abstracting chemical patents that is beneficial to society at large. The expectations of the management could have been made clearer from the start, however.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Chemical Abstracts Service. Our community is ready to answer.

Chemical Abstracts Service Reviews by Location