Cherokee Health Systems Employee Reviews

Great company
Customer service (Current Employee) –  TennesseeJune 20, 2017
This company is not for everyone. It takes a certain heart to do the type of work. This company truly gives the best care to their patients. The work load is high but that is with any healthcare establishment that you work.
Pros
Compassionate staff
Cons
high work load
mixed feelings
PATIENT SERVICE REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee) –  Maynardville, TNMay 6, 2017
Great learning experience for job flexibility. Coworkers ok to work with...a lot of gossip though (as with any company). Management will take advantage of you...use you as much as they can...do your job duties plus part of the other employees...then say you're not doing your job. Very discouraging!!
Pros
benefilts/insurance, paid holidays, Pto
Cons
management, job advancement
A good company, with a great perspective on patient care.
Community Health Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TN 37921April 25, 2017
Expectations are clear. A good experience for entry-level case management position. Tight-knit team/co-workers. Average management. Good variety of patient population. No shortage of new/exciting experiences.
Love the children and families I work with
Ped-psych nurse practitioner (Current Employee) –  Talbott, TNApril 23, 2017
Total autonomy allowed - regarding diagnosis, treatment, prescribing
Great co-workers and support staff
High volume of patients seen
Variety of psychiatric disorders treated
Decent benefits package - generous paid time off for providers - caps at 6 wkes annually, which is also used for sick time
Good retirement package- 401K w matching to 3%
Pros
Nice private office - large with a window and great view
Cons
High volume/quantity oriented over quality
productive
Licensed Practical Nurse (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNApril 5, 2017
Fun environment, but very busy. This clinic takes care of mostly indigent patients if this is for you. It sees patients across the lifespan. Pay and benefits are good.
Pros
pay
Cons
busy
Stressful environment
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Lenoir City, TNJune 21, 2016
Even if you were a hard worker, it didn't matter. You were just a number. It was very stressful environment.
There was no chance for growth or advancement.
Accomplished and fulfilled a job with heart and soul
Certified Application Counselor (Current Employee) –  Knoxville, TNAugust 2, 2015
The importance of assisting and enrolled patients in the areas of Indigent Care , the Marketplace and Medicaid TNcare has been such a thrilled success for me as a Certified Application Counselor.
Seeing peoples faces and relieved for getting health Insurance makes me feel that I done my job with a sincere heart and mind.
Pros
Assisting and enrolling patients in several health programs
Cons
Healthcare website not working properly.
Highly variable work environment depending on the region
Psychologist (Former Employee) –  Talbott, TNMay 20, 2015
Overall, only a mediocre place to work. Highest priority/respect is given to medical providers and very little else to everyone else. Knoxville region is far superior to the Cocke, Hamblen, Jefferson County region. Pay is lower than the average but the benefits package is pretty good. High level of stress for the employees and a general feeling of being under a microscope. Unfortunately, the CEO is out of touch with employees and truly believes he has created a wonderful work atmosphere. The problem is the mid level management, particularly in the Cocke, Hamblen, Jefferson region.
Pros
Loan repayment available in many locations
Cons
Micromanagement
Very easy job drawing labs.
Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Englewood, TNMay 5, 2015
Typical days were not busy. I would have maybe 8 labs to draw.I had very nice co-workers and always had fun with them. I liked it when we were busy slow days were long.
Pros
Not hard work
Cons
Heathcare
An integrated healthcare system focused on the behavioral and medical well being of those that don't have insurance or at or below the poverty level.
Manager (Former Employee) –  Knoxville,TennesseeSeptember 24, 2014
A typical day at work is to coordinate operational flow in the medical arena; assisting staff, providers, and patients as needed.
Wonderful place to work
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Alcoa, TNJuly 1, 2014
I loved working at Cherokee and I miss it so much! It was the best place I have ever worked. My coworkers and employers were wonderful, supportive and helpful.
Pros
Holidays, coworkers, trainings. positive atmosphere
Has a great mission, but the employees are just numbers and are viewed as dispensable. I would not recommend this company to any health professional.
Healthcare professional (Current Employee) –  East TennesseeMay 5, 2014
The mission of integrated care is fantastic. However,the management has the attitude that the employee is lucky to be apart of this company and have the Mon-Fri dayshift schedule. With this attitude, the employee is seen just as a number and replaceable. The employees have no voice in this company. If you don't like it,either lump it or leave. In 7 years, the owner/COO never spoke to me,even when coming into the department. In 7 years, I never once observed the management admitting to being wrong on any occasion.

There is definitely no family feel to this company. The family feel can come from the individual departments, but not overall. As a matter of fact, the most enjoyable part of my job was helping patients and doing it alongside coworkers that I considered like family. I believe the downfall of this company will be its lack of appreciation and motivation of its employees. Employees' opinions and feedback are not wanted, much less valued. Management does not perform yearly evaluations to provide motivation,incentive,or constructive criticism to the employee. I would not recommend working for this company.
Pros
Schedule, helping patients
Cons
Poor management
Enjoyable Workplace
Medical Assistant/Phlebotomist (Current Employee) –  Knoxville,TNApril 4, 2014
I enjoy my job and co-workers.The most enjoyable part of my job is assisting my patients and giving them the adequate care needed.
Great place to start
LPN- Regional Clinical Trainer (Current Employee) –  Knoxville, TNSeptember 29, 2013
I love the mission statement for Cherokee. They are dedicated to working and helping the less fortunate patients without insurance. They help provide services that these patients may not otherwise have access.
A very stressful job...Too much backstabbing from fellow employees
Customer Service Rep (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNJune 28, 2013
Non stop work, from the time the day begins to the end of the day. The Doctors and Nurses here are very good, but the office employees are terriable.
I was an interpreter, with a great clientel to attend
Receptionist/ Translator (Former Employee) –  Lenoir City, TNMay 3, 2013
I would enter personal information into the data base, make appointments for patients, as well as recieve co-payments and verify medical insurance. I would interpret for hispanic patients for their medical and mental health appointments, as well as helping them to recieve the services they were looking for else where if necessary (for example DHS for medical insurance or Dentists).
Pros
1 hour lunch, payed hollidays
Cons
high cost for medical insurance, and the lack of accomadation when my daughter's surgery was coming up
A great place to work
Research Analyst, Research and Analysis Department (Current Employee) –  Talbott, TNDecember 16, 2012
Wonderful administration
Good work environment
Exceptional training environment
Learned programming skills
Worked with quality professionals
Rewarding place to work
Patient Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Alcoa, TNJuly 7, 2012
The experience I have gained through working with CHS has provided valuable stepping stones to my future. My day consists of anwering phones and dealing with patient issues. I am able to resovle many of their problems efficiently and directly. My co-workers are very warm and friendly and always willing to help wherever needed.
Good company overall.
Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Talbott, TNApril 6, 2012
The IT department was small with little room for advancement. They were good people and I really learned and grow there. My co worker were friendly and hardworkig. we had 500 people to support that there were only 5 of us. We were busy but did not seem to be overworked.
Pros
good health care beifits.
Cons
no room for advancement.
A wonderful company whose "heart is in the right place".
Therapist (Former Employee) –  5th Street in Morristown, TNDecember 14, 2011
I sometimes wonder why I ever left that company because there were so many things about it that were appealing to me. I got to work with SPMI patients, we had regular treatment team meetings to discuss problems, we had therapist supervision, but all of that changed to a more "business" atmosphere when new management came in.
Pros
company paid for continuing education, immediate supervisors, doctors, were fantastic to work with
Cons
long drive to work, new management was "nit-picky" and annoying

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Cherokee Health Systems. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8