Cherokee Nation Businesses Employee Reviews in United States

Unqualified managers
GIS Internship (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMay 19, 2016
Managers need training and experience. They do not discipline their subordinates when they disrespect another peer. No job security. It feels like a summer job. Everyone is lost in the afcec as to what they should be doing.
Pros
Benefits are good
Cons
Contract work
Great company with awesome benefits
Guest Service Agent (Former Employee) –  Catoosa, OKMay 17, 2016
The Cherokee Nation is a great place to work. Everyone is very friendly and fun to work with. They do the best orientation I have ever been to. They have several different departments that you can change to and get different job opportunities.
Pros
Cheap and good food, great customer service
Cons
N/A
Great place to grow in your career and be exposed to many opportunities
Director of Internal Audit (Current Employee) –  Tulsa, OKApril 14, 2016
I have spent 15 years working for this organization and cant say enough about my experience and life here.

Great people, great support and benefits.

Would recommend to anyone!
Benefits
Cons
Finding enough time to support all the growth!
Good Benefits and Job Security
manager (Current Employee) –  Tulsa, OKDecember 30, 2015
Culture is old-school and not forward thinking from a technology standpoint. Temperament of Native Americans seem to be lazy and this company looks the other way. YES I'M NATIVE! Best medical benefits in the area. Pay is below average for most positions but can be bargained for if applying externally. No job advancement plans in place, so once you get in your not likely to move up. If your looking to work in a group of passionate professionals, this opportunity is not for you. If you are OK with a work pace that is slow and stop then this may be good for you.
Pros
Medical Benefits
Cons
Career Advancement, Tribal Politics
Don't recommend
Senior Auditor (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKDecember 29, 2015
Nation within a nation. They can get away with a lot of things that other companies in corporate America cannot! The hours are bad. People are okay to work with. Management needs a lot of "people" training.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Management don't care about its people. You are just a resource to them.
Really really bad place to work
sous chef (Former Employee) –  West Siloam Springs, OKNovember 19, 2015
If you want to have job security, then work somewhere else. This company discriminates and has no integrity. They put directors and managers into place that have zero experience just because try have an Indian card. This company, being tribal, follows no laws or rules but their own. I have seen them suspend good people, for little to no reason, and not even pay them for hours worked. They are famous for firing salaried employees at bonus time to save money. This company will let you wor 6 & 7 days a week while your indian manager shows up when they want, if they want. The human resources dept. is a joke and is badly chauvinistic against men. If this company had to pay taxes or follow the law, they'd be out of business. Do yourself a favor and pass on this terrlble company. They are constantly looking for chefs of all levels for a reason.
Pros
New equipment and facilities
Cons
Zero job security, bad company filled with bad racist people
very productive
grounds keeper at Stilwell Landfill (Former Employee) –  stilwell, OkJune 29, 2015
as i look back, the jobs i did helped me as a person. i now work hard and take nothing for granted. It is a good place to work and the jobs they hand out are hard but they help in so many ways.
Contractors not included
Hydrologic Technician (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FloridaMay 16, 2015
Cherokee Nation seems like a fantastic company and group to work with, but being contracted through them leaves you with no real connection to their staff, offices or work functions.
Pros
Paid time off, medical benefits are great
Cons
I don't know the staff well
Productive work environment
Financial/Project Management, Port (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXApril 7, 2015
Cherokee Nation Businesses care about their employees. A typical day would be 7:30 - 4:30. 40 hours are the required hours, however if you fall short and don't have the time to make it up before the end of the pay period you will have to use your PTO. If you have the time to do extra hours you can do so and not use your PTS. The most enjoyable part of the job is the people, they have a great group of people working in the company.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
percent match on 401K
Small business
Environmental Scientist (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TexasFebruary 9, 2015
Small business who tends to partner with Booze Allen Halmiton. Not a bad place to work for. Seems hard to break into management. They have only been active for a few years and have not figured out how to grow from within.
Intense Place to Work
Human Resources (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKJanuary 25, 2015
The job security is great and so is the pay. Management needs some training.
Pros
wages and bonuses
Cons
operational associates treated poorly
Structured and friendly environment
Intern - Public Relations (Current Employee) –  Tulsa, OKJanuary 5, 2015
A typical day includes going into our online media site called VOCUS to start my daily tracking of Cherokee Nation Businesses. It's my job to make sure all of the articles either press released or earned is in our system. Later in the day, I work on the same idea but with CNB's newspapers. I also help with setting up events. I learned how to organize my time better. My co-workers always kept me positive and motivated about my work activities. The hardest part at first was getting used to new environment. The most enjoyable would be chatting with co-workers about a particular project and helping with an event
Pros
lunch, co-workers
Cons
hourly, no benefits
Productive and Fun
Safety Coordinator I (Current Employee) –  Catoosa, OKMay 8, 2014
Ensures that the safety policies and procedures are followed throughout assigned CNE properties, provides interpretations and expertise to management on nationally recognized fire and safety codes, conducts monthly safety inspections and written audit reports, prepares and submits written reports of all findings with risk for accidents or injuries, daily or as necessary, reviews and investigates all employee accidents to determine the actual cause and ensures that action is taken to prevent similar accidents
Fun place to work but no chance for advancement
Safety Coordinator II (Current Employee) –  Catoosa, OKMarch 25, 2014
Too political in nature, if you are not related to a tribal council member or have every worked at Wal-Mart, you will not go anywhere with this company.
Great company to work for
Information Security Administrator (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKJanuary 14, 2014
While working for Cherokee Nation, I learned so much. I went from cleaning the corporate offices to working in them.
Work hard, play harder
Auditor - Audit Services (Current Employee) –  Catoosa, OKApril 20, 2013
Everyone is incredibly helpful, we work together on projects. This is a teaching environment, management and staff work close and management wants everyone to succeed in their goals. This department strives to promote from within.
Pros
flexible work schedule, highly family oriented
Cons
political environment
nonprofit parent company for all Cherokee Nation
Staff Auditor (Former Employee) –  Lakewood Colorado, United StatesDecember 21, 2012
a company wholly owned by the Cherokee Nation and serves as a holding company for all the Cherokee Nation's for-profit entities.
have a company in the aerospace and defense, information technology, security and safety, the environment, development, health care and other industries.
All CNB good profits reinvested into job creation or social services for the citizens of the tribe.
Pros
creating jobs for the citizens of cherokee in oklahoma and other states
A company that has lost focus of its values
Auditor II (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKAugust 7, 2012
The internal audit group spends all of its time micromanaging and browbeating their employees. I have never had such a soul crushing job. I can not stress enough to look for employment elsewhere.
Pros
work in a casino environment
Cons
terrible management, poor attitudes of employees, badly designed audit department
Good starter job
Staff Auditor (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKJuly 20, 2012
The was a great starter job but unfortunately they loved to micromanage the staff and point out what you do wrong instead of positive affirmation.
Pros
cheap benefits
Cons
micro management, political
Hard rock
TOURNAMENT AND PROMOTION COORDINATOR (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKJuly 18, 2012
The preferential hiring process that CNE employs often puts less capable job candidates in important positions. Communication between departments is terrible, and expect zero problem resolution. As a manager I was often told to decrease the quality of work environment in order to pre certain employees to quit. Benefits for the company are great, maybe the best around. Expect a stressful work environment with little advancement opportunities.
benefits
Cons
everything else