Chesapeake Public Schools Employee Reviews

Opportunities to be a positive, male role model.
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Chesapeake, VAApril 21, 2017
I substitute in all grades and subjects. I feel a lot of support from the staff. Most students express less interest in getting an education. I appreciate the opportunity to express a caring, role model for all the students. I appreciate the times when they share with me some of their concerns.
Pros
Encouraging, supportive staff. Windows of light in their lives.
Cons
Many students have not been taught respect for authority and discipline.
Being a substitute teacher for Chesapeake Schools offers great flexibility.
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Chesapeake, VAApril 1, 2017
There is generally an opportunity to work every day.. Substitute teachers are allowed to fill positions from preschool to high school throughout the school district. Chesapeake uses a sub finder online program which makes it very easy to see what jobs are available. This system makes it easy for you to pick in choose location and dates that are good for you.
Pros
Flexibility and offers various locations to work
Cons
There are fewer regular teacher jobs available than teachers aids jobs.
too much stress for little pay
Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Chesapeake, VAMarch 19, 2017
It is very difficult for the public school systems to keep bus drivers because children are out of control, and bus drivers have very little options available to keep them under control while they are on the bus. The administrations are aware of this problem and do not have any answers and they provide little support for their drivers.
Pros
Awesome Insurance!!!
Cons
Terrible management!!!!!!
No real pay
Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Chesapeake, VAMarch 18, 2017
Love the job be the pay has real gone down hill. When i first start i could take of my kids now im barley making from pay check too pay check . Cant make overtime without get called in. Just want to get paid for my work.
Pros
I love to drive
Cons
Dont get paid for my worth
Teaching
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Chesapeake, VAMarch 18, 2017
Working as a teacher is exhausting and rewarding at the same time. I have not received an actual raise in nine years, although the "raise" I have received were to cover insurance. I have learned how to work with limited resources and difficult people.
chesapeake public schools
Landscaping (Former Employee) –  Chesapeake, VAFebruary 27, 2017
It is a pretty good job have long work days outside but the work is not that difficult I enjoyed working with the crew I was on everybody was a hard worker and was serious about there job.
Productive and Fun work place
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Chesapeake, VAFebruary 21, 2017
I love working as a Substitute teacher; all the teachers are friendly and helpful. Too, you can make your own schedule. I too love working with all school levels, elementary, middle and high school children.
Nice Place
Special Education Clerk (Current Employee) –  Chesapeake, VAFebruary 16, 2017
Chesapeake Public Schools is a very nice place to work. They provide excellent service to our children. They keep up with Virginia's Standards of Learning.
A great professional environment with a common goal of keeping our kids safe was first.
Office Admin and Librarian Assistant (Former Employee) –  EW Chittum, Joliff Middle School, WBHSFebruary 6, 2017
Volunteering in the schools was a opportunity to give back to our teachers and staff who give to our students whole heartedly. I enjoyed the busy work of the front office staff.
Pros
I could keep up with the information and calendars of the school.
Cons
No paid positions.
Job Security
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Chesapeake, VAJanuary 26, 2017
I have been with CPS since 2005. When all the neighboring cities were laying teachers off. CPS put their employees first ALL the time. This school district goes above and beyond to retain their teachers by any means necessary. If the district has to decide whether to give 2% raises to all or cutting jobs. CPS has always made the decision to do what's in the best interest of their faculty.
Pros
Job security; Family-Oriented
Cons
Inconsistent tolerance of discipline

Want to know more about Chesapeake Public Schools?

Ask a question
Trusting worthy and friendly staff
Clerical (Current Employee) –  Chesapeake, VAJanuary 18, 2017
The staff at Chesapeake Public Schools is extremely warm and inviting, they love to make all people that come in, whether it be fellow staff or employees, feel welcome. They work extremely hard to make sure that employees get what they need in a timely manner. Opportunities to do more and make progress are available.
Fun and demanding
Permanent Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Chesapeake, VAJanuary 5, 2017
I truly loved working with children, teaching, and helping others. My only problem was that during the summer, I could not find permanent employment, so it put me in a positions where I could not draw unemployment, because I was still listed as "employed" by Chesapeake Public Schools. So, in the summer my income was not strong. I needed job security
Substitute Teaching
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Chesapeake, VAJanuary 4, 2017
I was a substitute teacher for the school district. I was able to pick the school(s) I wanted to be at which was great. Dealing with a different classroom and different lesson plan had its challenges, however, it was a rewarding job. I was privileged to substitute for a LEAD classroom and even was asked back. That was such a rewarding experience that I cherish. I learned how to communicate differently and be more patient. My co-workers were wonderful with making me feel like I was part of the school as well. It was a great part time job to have that worked with my kids' schedules as well.
Understaffed
Food service worker (Former Employee) –  Chesapeake, VAJanuary 2, 2017
Hard work for not enough pay.
Cut backs not allowing proper staffing.
co-workers nice but everyone stressed.
No extra hour available to work only 22 hrs per week.
No advancement.
Add extra job duties and no extra compensation.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
no enough hours, pay or help
Substitute Teacher
Substitute Teacher, Grades K (Former Employee) –  Chesapeake, VADecember 8, 2016
Substitute teaching is very flexible and fun. I enjoyed subbing at both the elementary and middle school levels. I didn't like not knowing until that morning if I would get a call to come in to sub or not. Made things hard to try and have a normal schedule/routine.
Difficult but its the little moments that can be so heartwarming and rewarding
School health advisor (Current Employee) –  Chesapeake, VAOctober 21, 2016
School nursing is not as easy as I thought it would be and as easy as people often think it is. It is a difficult profession that is unfortunately often overlooked and underpaid. There are more and more responsibilities as children with muti-dimensional needs are entering the school system. We must strategize with parents whose knowledge-base is varied. I enjoy working in the community that I am in but it can be very frustrating with lack of understanding from staff and parents. I often feel very alone, yet, I must always think like a team player because there are always those times when we need each other in one way or another.
Pros
I enjoy working with the staff and students. Weekends, summers, holidays off!
Cons
It is difficult, sometimes impossible to find a substitute. I am the only RN in the building.
Currently Teacher Assistant
Teacher Assistant/Kindergarten (Current Employee) –  Chesapeake, VA 23324May 19, 2016
I support the Kindergarten teacher with small groups remediation, whole group teaching. I have almost completed my degree in Early Childhood Education and this job has helped prepare me for my new journey. There is a lot of work for lesson planning but I love my job and I am ready to move forward. I find it highly rewarding when you are helping a student and you see when they experience that "ah-ha" moment!!
Pros
Great system to work
I enjoy working for Chesapeake Public Schools. My work schedule was perfect for my family life.
Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Chesapeake, VAMay 1, 2016
My position with Chesapeake Public Schools has been enjoyable. The only problem is there's no room for advancement in my department.The hours were conducive for a young family and worked well for me. But now I am in the position that I am able to work longer and more hours and would really like to do so. A full time position is of great interest to me.
Pros
Hours are great for a peson with young school age children
Cons
Hours were frozen at 25 per week with no opportunity for advancement
Chesapeake Public Schools is the best school system in the Tidewter Area. I enjoyed working there for 30 years.
English Teacher (Former Employee) –  Indian River High SchoolApril 18, 2016
I believe Chesapeake Public Schools is the best school system in the area. I had the opportunity to enhance my education while teaching and was given many responsibilities that were rewarded. The faculty, staff and personnel were fabulous.
Inviting, safe and friendly environment
Office Manager/Bookkeeper (Current Employee) –  Chesapeake, VAJanuary 23, 2016
Working for Chesapeake Public school is very busy and requires constant attention to the needs of children, parents, faculty and staff. I have learned how to manage an office of 3 while tending to over 500+ individual needs. Also, ensuring the financials in the building are maintained and balanced. The position as bookkeeper requires the upkeep of employees time, materials and supplies, and programs. The hardest part of the job is balancing the duty of Secretary and Bookkeeper. The most enjoyable part of the job is working with the employees, children, parents and vendors.
Pros
The Benefits, being able to meet everyone's needs.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Chesapeake Public Schools. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3