Chesapeake Public Schools

Chesapeake Public Schools Employer Reviews

I enjoy working with the children
Substitute Clinic Assistant (Current Employee), Chesapeake, VASeptember 12, 2014
Pros: off holidays & summer
Cons: limited pay during summer unless you're using a specific check schedule
Most enjoyable part: Providing care to children
The hardest part: Coordinating between the child & parents for medication, etc.
Overall it is a wonderful place to work.
Special Education Teacher (Former Employee), Chesapeake, VAAugust 24, 2014
This job included reporting to work at 7:25 AM, checking your mailbox, and getting your room ready for the children to arrive at 8:05 AM. Typically the resource children would arrive from approximately two - seven different Regular Education Teachers. The children were from two or three different grade levels. Therefore you had to do as much grouping – more... as you could for example: The Morning Opening would be a combined event, all the children would participate. During the 15 minute morning opening a Book was read by the class or listened to from a tape recorder, calendar was completed and the schedule was gone over so that every child knew what they were suppose to do or what their responsibility was.

I taught 45 minutes of Math, 2.5 hours of English or Language Arts and sometimes Social Studies and Science on alternate days for 1/2 hours. It would depend on whether the child was self-contained which meant 3.5 or more hours of their day would be with me. Or if they were resource which meant they were with me for less than 3.5 hours per day.

The children would return to their Homeroom or Regular Education Teacher for Music, P.E., computer, recess, lunch and to pack up and get on the bus.

I learned so much on this job because they had In Service Training often. Management was wonderful for most of the working years that I was with Chesapeake Public Schools expect for the last year when I was about to turn 55 years old and I was pressured to retire so the Virginia Retirement System would not have to pay me double the amount of money they do before you turn age 55.

My co-workers were wonderful and I miss them very much. Of course the most enjoyable part of my job was working with the children and seeing their smiling faces everyday. – less
CPS
Level II Fieldwork (Former Employee), Chesapeake VAAugust 13, 2014
Once I had taken over the case load, a typical day included me planning treatment sessions for 6-12 students, implementing them, and writing notes. I also attended IEP meetings and worked with a PT and ST on occasion. The students I saw came for OT for a variety of reasons (autism, fine motor issues, ADD, blindness, CP).
Fun job with short hours
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee), Chesapeake, VAJune 3, 2014
If you are looking for a side job where you don't want to spend much time at this is the one. You will make decent money but if you are like me you will use that money for the great discount clothes you get. I loved the crew I worked with and everyone helped out (even the managers).
love it
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee), Chesapeake, VAMay 7, 2014
Pros: wonderful administration
Cons: substitute hours
I enjoyed working for Chesapeake Public Schools, I still miss it
Substitute Teacher
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee), Chesapeake, VAMay 4, 2014
I Enjoyed doing this. Though there was no benefits with this job, it was enjoyable.
Steady and Fun Working Environment
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee), Chesapeake, VirginiaFebruary 1, 2014
Pros: working relationships, flexability and helping others
Cons: healthcare, pay and job security
A typical day at work consisted of teaching the students and maintaining a safe environment . I learned that all people are unique in their own way and learn differently. I was responsible for a classroom of about 24 students on a daily basis. My co-workers were very helpful and friendly. The hardest part of the job was going into a classroom where – more... the students were not familiar with you and having them to trust and respect you for that day. The most enjoyable part of the job was learning new material and interacting with the students. – less
Most rewarding career I've ever experienced! The best ten years of my career.
Technology Education Teacher (Former Employee), Chesapeake, VAJanuary 16, 2014
Pros: working with young adults is rewarding.
Cons: there is never enough time to do it all.
• Prepared daily lesson plans and pace guides for various courses in Technology Education.
• Courses include: Basic Technical Drawing, Physics for Technology II, Materials Processing, Power and Transportation, Photography (B&W and Digital), Production Systems, Graphic Communications, and Communication Technology.
• Member of the Virginia Career and – more... Technical Education Robotics Curriculum board 2013.
• Member of the Chesapeake Public Schools Power and Transportation Curriculum board 2011.
• Served as Chapter & Tidewater Region Technology Student Association Advisor 2004 - 2013.
• Served as President & Vice President of the Tidewater Region Virginia Technology and Engineering Education Association 2009-2013.
• Founded a FIRST Robotics Competition (FRC) Team 2890 in 2008, Main Sponsor 2008-2013.
• Founded a FIRST Tech Challenge Robotics Team in 2012. Main Sponsor.
• Founded three VEX Robotics Teams in 2012. Main Sponsor. – less
Always enjoyable
SUBTITUTE TEACHER (Current Employee), All Chesapeake Public SchoolsJanuary 11, 2014
Your day is usually planned for the students, you just follow instructions and its a rewarding day.
The Public Education system in Va and the nation is in a state of duress.
Long Term Substitute Teacher (Current Employee), Chesapeake, VirginiaDecember 5, 2013
Pros: the long (10-13 hour school, grading, contacting parents) days lead to a rejuvination period of 75-80 days that run concurrently.
The Public Education system in Va and the nation is in a state of duress. The goal of producing critical thinkers has been subjugated by the governmental edict to produce and concentrate "education" on core-testing which, more and more, leaves less and less room to explore and cultivate the abstract thinking capacity in the minds of the student.

It – more... can be depressing. – less
Take the place of primary teachers
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee), Chesapeake, VAOctober 31, 2013
Take the place of primary teachers when needed in elementary and middle schools. Follow directions left by teachers. Administering class work, homework, tests.
Not concerned about the average worker, only the officials are important, no chance of advancement and no raises
Warehouse and Supply Delivery Driver (Former Employee), Chesapeake, VAOctober 15, 2013
Pros: mon - fri
Cons: no raises or change of advancement
I worked Chesapeake Public Schools for 21 years and over the years it has gotten less family oriented. There have been no chance for advancement or raises. They do not care about the little people
Nice work enviroment with encouraging co-workers
General Teacher Assistant (Former Employee), Chesapeake, VAOctober 4, 2013
I would stand my morning duty. Check with all my teachers to see what was needed to help them. After tending to my morning schedule I would eat lunch and continue with my afternoon schedule. After students were on buses. I would go and help with student pickup.
Pay is good, but lots of government inertia
Technical Support Specialist III (Current Employee), Chesapeake, VAAugust 26, 2013
Pros: above average pay, good health care
Cons: little promotion chance, no training
Pay is good but it seems like to get promoted you need to wait for others to die or retire, pretty much like other local governments I've worked for.
Friendly place to work.
Computer T.A. (Former Employee), Chesapeake, VAAugust 15, 2013
Nice people and a secure place to work.
Great hours to work, with understand attitude when needing time off from the job.
Great enviornment and teams all working to reach the same goal
Teacher Assistant (Current Employee), Chesapeake, VAJuly 22, 2013
Working for Chesapeake Public Schools has given me great time and people management skills. The employees are very friendly and helped a lot in adjusting to the learning environment of a middle school.
loved to work with the kids
Cafeteria Worker (Former Employee), Chesapeake, VAJuly 12, 2013
Pros: getting to work with kids and working with great co-workers
Cons: not enough hours
I had to clean the kitchen before cooking and prepping the food, served the children, and cleaned the kitchen after serving the children.
I learned how to prepare the food for the children.
the management was very caring and supportive.
the co-workers were wonderful to work with.
the hardest thing to do was making sure the food was at the right temperature.
the – more... most enjoyable part was getting to see the bright smiling faces of the children. – less
Great office environment!
Data Quality Secretary (Former Employee), Chesapeake, VAJuly 4, 2013
Pros: getting to know the students
Cons: limited growth potential
A typical day entailed checking emails, mailbox and clearing any paperwork which may have been added so as to be able to input information into Starbase and place records into appropriate file. I learned how to quickly and accurately input data and kept the records room meticulous. Additionally, I was also responsible for the enrollment and withdrawals – more... of students. At times throughout the school year I was extremely busy and could become inundated with paperwork that needed to be sorted, entered into the computer and filed. However, although this required a good deal of time, it enhanced my ability to multitask. It was always challenging and that made it enjoyable because I remained busy throughout the day. – less
responsible for precious cargo
School Bus Driver (Former Employee), Chesapeake, VAJune 19, 2013
Pros: not many hours in the day and got summer pay.
Cons: need more route drivers
I loved driving the school bus. In the 11years that I drove I had wonderful kids. The children were great. The hardest part is making sure that the children are on their best behavior while I was driving. I had a reward system which helped out a lot.
Great learning opportunity
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee), Chesapeake, VAMay 31, 2013
I was assigned to a Chesapeake middle school to observe the teachers as they conducted their classrooms.